SFS #1-01 The Commencement (Spoilers)


GM Discussion

51 to 69 of 69 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge **

Misroi, I ran that part without the map. Grid map always means combat to players. Also, maybe you didn't play up that the kids thought it was their "pet" enough.

Dark Archive *

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I also ran it sans map for that very reason. The moment the GM starts putting lines on the battle mat, you're quietly telling them that battle is happening. I did tell them that they thought the alien was their pet, but they thought it was of animal intelligence, and not sapient. Again, that part is probably my fault, and I'll probably say that the alien was thwle kids' "friend," not their "pet." That might help clue the players in on the preferred solution.

Sovereign Court ***

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

My PCs decided to take the forklift in the warehouse for a spin. Ramming speed right into the creature!

Scarab Sages ****

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I had fun running this last week.

A bit of ad-libbing on the dataphiles quest, created some hilarity. Once Granny Ceren realized she had "accidentally" done some hacking she all nonchalantly opened up a chest and pulled out a "go-bag" and started pouring gasoline on her house and told the PCs to help her work on getting a new identify for her and her son.

The 180-degree pivot in her language (but no change in her granny demeanor) was well received.

Everyone wanted to help out with "granny's go-bag"

Poor little Jubair was a little overwhelmed by it all though...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

If anyone wants to use this map I created for the junk race, feel free. Each segment represents 25' of movement. It worked great for my PbP game and my roll20 game

Wayfinders *****

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Jared Thaler wrote:
In Memorium wrote:
Shady coroners can provide fresh corpses for this purpose with a bribe of 60 credits, though PCs may come up with their own creative solutions

Two of my players recalled that in a previous adventure they had dealt with a certain family of Ysoki on Absolom Station who bought dead bodies "of the books" as it were, and who were grateful to them for a favor they had done.

I ruled that with a decent diplomacy, they could be persuaded to part with a body for a mere 30 credits.

The players then sold the bodies of the thugs from the river ambush back to them, and got their 30 credits back.

I figured that was creative enough to count.

That’s how i did it. But, he Ysoki were kin, and I was in a tough spot, so they gave me the body I needed. A little “medical” work, and her own kid couldn’t recognize that it wasn’t her body!

We did end up giving them a body in return, though.

** Venture-Agent, France—Paris aka 勝20100

I run the scenario yesterday evening.

When I prepared it, I rolled in advance the random parts.

One of the player refused the implants, out of 6.

As Misroi, my player didn’t open up to Cerren right away, trying to find a hacker in the neighbourhood to fix someone comm unit, after pretending to be interested in their tomatoes. After some interaction with her, I let them remark her various datajack/implants which helped going forward. They wanted to connect a computer in one of her datajack, pretending some medical diagnostic, she indicated she could do some herself and discovered the files.
Some player wanted to let Historia-7 deal with the protection/faking her death, so I told the party it was their job. Historia-7 would have probably done the same, or would have done it herself but the party would have been considered as having failed the mission for her.

For the creature, it was a shapeshifter and as there is no description, I didn’t know what to tell them. One of the player wanted to keep it, but I pointed that maybe it should stay in the ship as it might have been there for a good reason.

The players focused on having the best racer, a bit similar to when I played it, and managed to won without too much trouble as we did. The race itself takes some time, as does the preparation part. I had trouble determining who shot at who too. I printed the stats from the end of the scenario, cut each racer and pilot and used some tape to hold a pilot and a racer together. I wrote down the player’s changes on theirs then put it on a flip-map where I just wrote down how far each pilot had gone (just in front of the pieces of paper).
The player questioned how it was possible to shoot without penalty from anywhere on the map. Explained it was for simplicity (there is already quite an important number of parameters).

I rolled for the nest for the creature but without indication where the nest is, I rolled again during the adventure. As I don’t know what the author had in mind with rice candy, I indicated he was eating mochi, but in my mind I was thinking dango (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dango).

One problem I have, and it is not just in this scenario, is when players tries to use different social skills that those listed in the scenario. For example, a character tried to use Intimidate on the child but the scenario calls for Diplomacy. I can’t find a way to convey that information without going meta.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

I could have sworn I made a drawing for the nest locations, but I don't seem to have it anymore? I'll look for that when I get home.

As for the last bit:
If someone tries to intimidate a bunch of children, have them start wailing in fear, crying and whatever else children do when they get scared. Hopefully someone gets the hint that taking that route isn't going to be helpful.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Without looking it up, I think it says that an Intimidate check automatically succeeds on the children and they spill the beans. It's the mean way to get results :)

***

As Jhaeman points out, the scenario specifically states that if the children are intimidated the check automatically succeeds. They're scared kids, easy to terrorize.

That said, never be afraid to reward creative play and use of skills. As long as the players can give you a good rationale for why a skill would work, or come up with a way to utilize it, let them. Just decide how the NPCs or environment will respond, and it may not always go as great as using more appropriate skills.

*

For the race:
It's possible for a junk racer to have multiple weapons (Velocity always gets an extra), and the PCs can take multiple remote controlled shots (assuming they put multiple weapons on Laboni's racer), but it's not completely clear to me whether the other racers can fire more than one weapon per turn.
As the text says "Each weapon can be fired only once per round" I assume that they can, but I'm also wondering whether there should be penalties for doing so.

If it's not normally possible for a racer to fire more than one weapon per turn it brings up a couple of questions:
Why would anybody have more than one weapon of the same type? (probably just Velocity, as they always get a kinetic weapon in addition to what's already on the racer)
If the PC decided to fire multiple weapons, wouldn't it cause questions of cheating and make the use of remote control obvious?

Considering those questions, it seems like firing multiple weapons should be possible, but that then leaves the question of penalties (-4 to each shot?) and whether the racer can also go full speed on the same turn.

Dark Archive *

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I don't think there should be penalties to the shots. As you mention, Velocity gets an additional weapon on their racer, which means there's a 25% chance that one opponent has three weapons on their racer (Velocity in the Well-Armed Racer) and all other opponents just have one, or a 75% chance that two opponents have two weapons on their racer (Velocity in any racer, and any opponent in the Well-Armed Racer) and two have just one. The way I see it, this means that each weapon on each racer can be fired once each round.

Now, the question I'm still struggling with is whether or not these penalties stack. I've not had them do so, but I'm beginning to think it might be interesting to allow them to do so. Most of the penalties won't be on the PCs, so it'll be up to them to decide where to shoot, and could cause wrecks more often - which is definitely exciting! I just need to see if this method causes the PCs to have multiple penalties. Ratrod always shoots at them, and it's entirely possible that a separate opponent could shoot them as well. How have other GMs run this?

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Captain, California—Sacramento aka FLite

Misroi wrote:

I don't think there should be penalties to the shots. As you mention, Velocity gets an additional weapon on their racer, which means there's a 25% chance that one opponent has three weapons on their racer (Velocity in the Well-Armed Racer) and all other opponents just have one, or a 75% chance that two opponents have two weapons on their racer (Velocity in any racer, and any opponent in the Well-Armed Racer) and two have just one. The way I see it, this means that each weapon on each racer can be fired once each round.

Now, the question I'm still struggling with is whether or not these penalties stack. I've not had them do so, but I'm beginning to think it might be interesting to allow them to do so. Most of the penalties won't be on the PCs, so it'll be up to them to decide where to shoot, and could cause wrecks more often - which is definitely exciting! I just need to see if this method causes the PCs to have multiple penalties. Ratrod always shoots at them, and it's entirely possible that a separate opponent could shoot them as well. How have other GMs run this?

As a general rule, penalties *always* stack. So I have had them stacking. I suppose you could rule that multiple shots are "from the same sources" so they wouldn't stack, but even then, kinetic and energy should stack. Which might be a good reason for PCs to want one of each on their car...

Dark Archive *

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Having now run it that way, I'm inclined to agree. The way that the race works, the racers target whoever is behind them, except for Ratrod, who always targets Laboni, as long as she's a threat. As a result, the PCs almost never are targeted multiple times, so the racers in danger of having multiple penalties are all NPCs.

Also, I just realized in my third run that Ratrod's racer is immune to energy damage, and actually gets bonuses based on it. My players didn't do any scouting on the vehicles, so that was a nasty surprise to them. As a result, they decided to stop targeting Ratrod's racer, and target the junkpiles nearby him! I thought it was clever, so I let it work!

Scarab Sages

I ran this last night, and I agree, getting it to stack works better, Ratrod had a -12 at one point!

I also agree with the multiple weapons, I had the other racers fire all weapons each round and this worked well!

Thankfully I had an experienced group to GM to for my first time! (Was nervous last night!) Because as others have found, the alien was slightly tough to guide the PCs through. After the kids had been helped, they tried to communicate with the Alien (Horseshoe Crab for me) but it doesn't speak to them. So they assumed no language. Then in the conclusion, it mentioned the Alien's language would be studied, slightly confusing them, but alas, they did ok!

Scarab Sages ***** Venture-Captain, Netherlands aka Woran

CptJames wrote:

I ran this last night, and I agree, getting it to stack works better, Ratrod had a -12 at one point!

I also agree with the multiple weapons, I had the other racers fire all weapons each round and this worked well!

Thankfully I had an experienced group to GM to for my first time! (Was nervous last night!) Because as others have found, the alien was slightly tough to guide the PCs through. After the kids had been helped, they tried to communicate with the Alien (Horseshoe Crab for me) but it doesn't speak to them. So they assumed no language. Then in the conclusion, it mentioned the Alien's language would be studied, slightly confusing them, but alas, they did ok!

Thank you for GMing this. You did a great job :)

Dark Archive ***** Venture-Captain, Minnesota—Minneapolis aka Silbeg

DM Bigrin wrote:
If anyone wants to use this map I created for the junk race, feel free. Each segment represents 25' of movement. It worked great for my PbP game and my roll20 game

I knew I should have checked here first, because this is way better than my effort.

Silver Crusade **** Venture-Lieutenant, Pennsylvania—Pittsburgh aka Terminalmancer

The massive PDF update bonanza continues!

This time:

  • Replaced the Subtier 1-2 credits earned on the Chronicle sheet with "753."

Looks like that's in the 250 credit range. Should we reissue old chronicles for this sort of thing?


Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I told the only player I have who played that scenario (and whose character is still alive) that I'll add the extra in to his next Chronicle along with a written explanation and my initials. I didn't want to reissue the old Chronicle, because then that has cascade effects on the tally for all subsequent Chronicles.

51 to 69 of 69 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / GM Discussion / SFS #1-01 The Commencement (Spoilers) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in GM Discussion