Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Runesage in PFS? Legality confusion


Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild

Scarab Sages

Additional Resources flat out says "All archetypes in this book are legal for play."

Well, the Runesage is "treated as" a Thassilonian specialist for which spells they can prepare and how many spells they get, but they are not actually Thassilonian specialists nor do they count as using Thassilonian magic. Technically. So it would seem that Runesages are legal.

But because Thassilonian magic/specialization is specifically called out as not legal further down in the AR entry, this creates some confusion. Archives of Nethys has flagged the archetype as not legal. I disagree with this interpretation of AR but am feeling doubtful anyway.

So before I get my hopes up, can anyone confirm if Runesage is legal or not in PFS? Did I miss something that the admin of Archives of Nethys noticed?

EDIT: It's also occurred to me that perhaps the admin on Archives has not re-updated the site since Adventurer's Guide was added to the AR. The book was out for a while and not on the AR so perhaps I am just worried over nothing?

*

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

As far as I know, Thassilonian magic was held back because it's specifically listed as a reward on a chronicle for a scenario (which I won't name here because spoilers). Runesage is a different archetype entirely, hence it's legality.

Scarab Sages

Thassilonian Magic has been around for a while. This is just a reprint. Runesage is new and gives the vast majority of the benefits and some new perks that make it better than the original in some ways.

That's why I am surprised to see it made legal and wondering if there was an error somewhere. If not, I am going to be all over this archetype! :P

*

Runesage is only legal from a boon on a particular chronicle.

*

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber
Andy Brown wrote:
Runesage is only legal from a boon on a particular chronicle.

That's Runegard, which is a Prestige Class. This is Runesage and it's legal.

As for Sinistrad's comment. Yes, Thassilonian Magic has been around awhile but it is legal only if you play a certain scenario and get the boon. But since Runesage is new and also a whole new archetype and it's not connected to Thassilonian Magic. You now have two options: either go out, track down the scenario and play at at a PFS table, thus opening the chance to build a new character with Thassilonian Magic or...just build a Runesage wizard.

*

thecursor wrote:
Andy Brown wrote:
Runesage is only legal from a boon on a particular chronicle.
That's Runegard, which is a Prestige Class. This is Runesage and it's legal.

Early morning brain means I should check things properly.

Scarab Sages ***

The AR update has only been out a few days, so yeah, I think Archives of Nethys has probably not gotten around to updating what is legal yet.

Scarab Sages

Ferious Thune wrote:
The AR update has only been out a few days, so yeah, I think Archives of Nethys has probably not gotten around to updating what is legal yet.

Ok that's what I was hoping. Thanks for the info all.

And (replying to other comments) I know which scenario the boon for the "real" Thassilonian magic comes from but obvs not stating it here to avoid spoilers. :) That boon also has other perks that makes it totally worth it. But, Runesage does kind of temper my desire to go nab that boon.

Now the question is do I combine it with Bonded Wizard or Scroll Scholar? Haha

*

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber
Sinistrad wrote:
That boon also has other perks that makes it totally worth it. But, Runesage does kind of temper my desire to go nab that boon.

Honestly? I've given up on Thassalonian Magic entirely and now I'm going to make a Runesage who becomes a Runeguard at 5th level.

The Exchange ***** Venture-Lieutenant, Texas—Dallas & Ft. Worth aka Belafon

Sinistrad wrote:
Ferious Thune wrote:
The AR update has only been out a few days, so yeah, I think Archives of Nethys has probably not gotten around to updating what is legal yet.

Ok that's what I was hoping. Thanks for the info all.

And (replying to other comments) I know which scenario the boon for the "real" Thassilonian magic comes from but obvs not stating it here to avoid spoilers. :) That boon also has other perks that makes it totally worth it. But, Runesage does kind of temper my desire to go nab that boon.

Now the question is do I combine it with Bonded Wizard or Scroll Scholar? Haha

Despite what Archives of Nethys has in their summary, Bonded Wizard does modify Arcane Bond so it doesn't stack with Runesage. (In a home game I would be perfectly fine with a player taking both because of how the Bonded Wizard modifies it, but sadly no-go in PFS.)

I believe the only (PFS-legal) archetype that stacks with Runesage is Scroll Scholar.

Sovereign Court *** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden aka Ascalaphus

So if I understand it correctly, a Runesage....

- Doesn't gain school powers
- Prepares extra spells from a chosen school like a Thassilonian specialist
- Can't use spells from the chosen school's opposed school
- Saves a bit of money on spell components
- Always choses bonded object over familiar

I think I like my Thassilonian Evoker better.

Scarab Sages

Kevin Willis wrote:
Despite what Archives of Nethys has in their summary, Bonded Wizard does modify Arcane Bond so it doesn't stack with Runesage.

The Bonded Wizard entry on Archives of Nethys really bugs me. They combined two abilities into a single paragraph, so it looks Hidden Bond (Su) includes the Text for Bonded Force (Su).

And I agree, it does modify arcane bond (by forcing you to select an object).

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild / Runesage in PFS? Legality confusion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.