Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Trait Clarification: Magical Knack


Rules Questions


Quote:
Benefit: Pick a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn’t raise your caster level above your current Hit Dice.

So I am confused as to how exactly this works. Because to me it seems to say that even if you aren't a spell caster....you are now (but only up to level 2). Does this give a non-caster the ability to cast spells?

For instance if you take. Stonelord Paladin who normally wouldn't be able to cast spells, does he now get to cast 1st level spells if he takes this trait?


No. You would have a caster level of 2 if your HD is above 2, but you wouldn't have the spells per day to match your caster level. I'm sure someone can find an ability that lets you sub your caster level for scrolls or something that might make the distinction important, but that's such an unlikely niche case that it's safe to say that you're effectively not a spellcaster.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Also note that this trait only improves your effective caster level -- it does not grant you any additional spells per day or spells known. For example, if a character with the Magical Knack trait is a Fighter 2/Wizard 1, he has the spells per day of a 1st level wizard but casts those spells at 3rd level. He does not gain early access to 2nd level spells.

Scarab Sages

Devils Advocate wrote:
Quote:
Benefit: Pick a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn’t raise your caster level above your current Hit Dice.

So I am confused as to how exactly this works. Because to me it seems to say that even if you aren't a spell caster....you are now (but only up to level 2). Does this give a non-caster the ability to cast spells?

For instance if you take. Stonelord Paladin who normally wouldn't be able to cast spells, does he now get to cast 1st level spells if he takes this trait?

No....Caster level determines the variables of a spell being cast, but doesn't grant the ability to cast them, nor does it affect your spells per day or spells known.

This one matters when your 2nd level Wizard takes 2 Levels of Fighter. Despite being a Level 4 character (with 4 HD), you only have Caster Level 2 because you only 2 levels in your spellcasting class. This means your wizard spells will be easier to resist with Spell Resistance and have lesser effect than those of a "full" caster level character. With the trait, Magical Knack, you could remedy this by selecting Wizard, which would make you effectively caster level 4 with your Wizard Spells.

For example, A Wizard 2/Fighter 2 that casts Burning Hands will deal 2d4 fire damage to those in the area of effect. A Wizard 2/Fighter 2 with Magical Knack (Wizard) that casts Burning Hands will deal 4d4 to those in the area of effect. This is because Burning Hands deals 1d4 fire damage per Caster Level (Max 5d4).


Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

It is also useful to Paladins and Rangers who can cast spells, since they normally have a caster level that is lower than their class level.

Scarab Sages

BretI wrote:
It is also useful to Paladins and Rangers who can cast spells, since they normally have a caster level that is lower than their class level.

That, and Casters with Prestige Classes that don't grant caster levels at every level.


Ok thanks for clearing that up guys. I thought that seemed like WAY too good of a benefit to be a Trait, so I figured I was reading it wrong and wanted to make certain.

Scarab Sages

Devils Advocate wrote:
Ok thanks for clearing that up guys. I thought that seemed like WAY too good of a benefit to be a Trait, so I figured I was reading it wrong and wanted to make certain.

Its still very awesome. One of the best Magic traits, in my opinion.

Liberty's Edge

One of the best, and absolutely vital for multiclass casters who have really gotten the shaft in Pathfinder since the old 3.5 'Improved Caster Feat' went bye-bye.

The only other ways to raise your caster level broadly is the Bifurcated Magic trait and the Multidisciplined racial ability swap for half-elves.


Murdock Mudeater wrote:
BretI wrote:
It is also useful to Paladins and Rangers who can cast spells, since they normally have a caster level that is lower than their class level.
That, and Casters with Prestige Classes that don't grant caster levels at every level.

Yeah. Between Magical Knack and Prestigious Spellcaster some Prestige Classes have become much more viable.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Trait Clarification: Magical Knack All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.