Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Counterspell Arcanist


Rules Questions


So I am looking for clarification on the rules for the arcanist counterspell exploit.

It says that it functions as dispel magic but what I want to know is how does it interact with other feats and abilities such as varisian tatoo, dispel focus, or abilities that would increase the caster level of dispel magic when cast.


The exploit does not count as dispel magic because you are not actually casting a spell. What you have is an SU that uses the same rules. They could have just given you the spell as an SLA if they wanted it to qualify for everything the spell qualifies for.

Other abilities also work like this. As an example the dominate ability that vampires have references the dominate person spell, but it can't be used in place of the spell to qualify for things.


wraithstrike wrote:

The exploit does not count as dispel magic because you are not actually casting a spell. What you have is an SU that uses the same rules. They could have just given you the spell as an SLA if they wanted it to qualify for everything the spell qualifies for.

Other abilities also work like this. As an example the dominate ability that vampires have references the dominate person spell, but it can't be used in place of the spell to qualify for things.

So dispel focus would apply since it modifies dispel checks but nothing that modifies the spell would apply correct?


Jace Knightly wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:

The exploit does not count as dispel magic because you are not actually casting a spell. What you have is an SU that uses the same rules. They could have just given you the spell as an SLA if they wanted it to qualify for everything the spell qualifies for.

Other abilities also work like this. As an example the dominate ability that vampires have references the dominate person spell, but it can't be used in place of the spell to qualify for things.

So dispel focus would apply since it modifies dispel checks but nothing that modifies the spell would apply correct?

Yes


wraithstrike wrote:
Jace Knightly wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:

The exploit does not count as dispel magic because you are not actually casting a spell. What you have is an SU that uses the same rules. They could have just given you the spell as an SLA if they wanted it to qualify for everything the spell qualifies for.

Other abilities also work like this. As an example the dominate ability that vampires have references the dominate person spell, but it can't be used in place of the spell to qualify for things.

So dispel focus would apply since it modifies dispel checks but nothing that modifies the spell would apply correct?
Yes

Last question. Items like otherworldly kimono and the orange ioun stone that raise you caster level for caster level checks would also apply to this ability, correct?


Jace Knightly wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
Jace Knightly wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:

The exploit does not count as dispel magic because you are not actually casting a spell. What you have is an SU that uses the same rules. They could have just given you the spell as an SLA if they wanted it to qualify for everything the spell qualifies for.

Other abilities also work like this. As an example the dominate ability that vampires have references the dominate person spell, but it can't be used in place of the spell to qualify for things.

So dispel focus would apply since it modifies dispel checks but nothing that modifies the spell would apply correct?
Yes
Last question. Items like otherworldly kimono and the orange ioun stone that raise you caster level for caster level checks would also apply to this ability, correct?

Otherworldly Komono & Orange Ioun Stone should both work.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Counterspell Arcanist All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.