Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Magic Shag


Suggestions/House Rules/Homebrew


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm trying to create a new kind of consumable magic item referred to universally as shag (as in Shag). Shag would function similarly to a potion, in that no Use Magic Device check is required to activate the spell stored within. The difference is that while a potion requires a Standard action to imbibe, imbibing a "charge" of Shag requires more time. I want higher level spells to be available to incorporate into Shag, and I want it to be less expensive to craft.

Thoughts:
I want a successful Craft (Shag) check to yield 1 ounce of Shag, but I can't find a general cigarettes-to-tobacco ratio to estimate how many "charges" 1 ounce holds. Can someone help me out with this?

For the extra time needed to imbibe, I was thinking 1 minute. Maybe a higher level spell requires more "charges" before the effect manifests, making truly powerful spell effects take more and more time, and cost more and more gold.

Due to the ease of use (assuming out-of-combat), and the fact that I want Shag to be inexpensive and require no Use Magic Device checks, I was thinking of adding an effect opposite of Maximize

Minimized wrote:
All variable and numeric effects of a spell activated from Shag are treated as if the user rolled 1's for them. For example: someone imbibing a typical Shag of Cure Light Wounds would receive 2 points of healing, as if they rolled a 1 on the d8.

I know that the curing process for tobacco can take quite a while (typically 4-8 weeks for cigarette tobacco). This crafting process is operating under the assumption that the tobacco was already crafted prior to becoming Magic Shag - having tobacco simply be one of the crafting reagents. Maybe making Magic Shag from scratch (adding 1 month to the craft time) would negate the Minimize effect?

What might the final cost be for crafting? This will largely depend on how many "charges" 1 dose yields. I'll estimate 20. So, you're basically getting 20 potions that require 1 minute to imbibe, and have a minimized effect. I'd consider the minute to imbibe to cut the cost in half, and the minimized effect to cut it in half again, meaning each "charge" costs 1/4 of a potion times 20 for a total of [spell level * caster level * 250 gp]. This lines up relatively well with Wands, which are about 40% more expensive per charge (require a Use magic Device check, but the spell effects aren't Minimized, and activation requires a Standard action).

I'd love some group support on this. I feel like Shag could make a great, flavorful addition to certain monster loots and hordes, as well as a fun new way to create magical effects. It also opens the door for magical pipes that augment magic Shag, and other smoking accessories. Any feedback on the concept itself, suggestions to make the mechanics more balanced, etc. are greatly appreciated!


Does it need to be a magic item? Because I can see it work pretty well as an alchemical item instead. These tend to be cheaper and somewhat weaker, so if you want weaker effect it can work reasonably well.

How strong effects do you want to put in this form?


Alchemical isn't out of the question. I'm imagining the process being similar to brewing a potion, which is pretty much Pathfinder's Alchemy, but they're still considered magic items, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm thinking up to 6th-level spells, but that might be a bit much. Maybe 4th or 5th.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I am very disappointed in this thread. I came here expecting other things.


Hmm, it could be a wondrous item, the way the incenses and some elixirs are. Granted, they take action a lot slower, but you could have something to fit the niche. However, for minor effects I am more partial to non-magical alchemical items.

Bjørn Røyrvik wrote:
I am very disappointed in this thread. I came here expecting other things.

Go right, then third door to the left, there is a Companion to the Lonely discussion there :)


Cuup wrote:
I want higher level spells to be available to incorporate into Shag, and I want it to be less expensive to craft.

We're not talking about alchemical items here.

You are really looking at rolled cigarettes, not pipe smoke? Why? The latter has sooo much more literary support, and frankly, it smells better to non-users!

Cuup wrote:
All variable and numeric effects of a spell activated from Shag are treated as if the user rolled 1's for them. For example: someone imbibing a typical Shag of Cure Light Wounds would receive 2 points of healing, as if they rolled a 1 on the d8.

Is this going to be dirt cheap? It had better be, if people are supposed to waste their gold on it. I'd prefer something like,

"All variable effects of a spell activated from Shag are treated as two dice types lower," turning a CSW into 1d4+5.

Or "The CL of all spells activated from Shag is reduced by 2 (minimum 0)," turning CSW into 1d8+3. (In this case, there would need to be a minimum CL on the feat needed to craft this stuff of at least 3.)

{EtA: I was going to give you URLs, but the connection farted. I do remember the estimate from WHO of 30 marijuana joints/ounce. And from Wiki of 30 tobacco ciggies/ounce, as well -- IF I did the necessary math right, for the amounts from 1960, before the manufacturers went on a major adulteration craze. Google "How much x in a joint/cigarette." Pipe bowl contents was harder; the best I could find were informal user estimates that amount to 2 cigs per "group 4" bowl. And a smoking time of at least 10 minutes.

And still, significant cancer rates, especially of the tongue and larynx. (We all know about cig cancer, right?) Let's hope I can post this time...}


What if using Shag is an untrained UMD skill check DC 10+X?

Then a pipe is a masterwork smoking tool (+2).

All spells on the Alchemists list, functioning like extracts but at reduced effect (half CL)?

With interesting side-effects for failing the DC by 5 or 10...


bitter lily wrote:
Cuup wrote:
I want higher level spells to be available to incorporate into Shag, and I want it to be less expensive to craft.

We're not talking about alchemical items here.

You are really looking at rolled cigarettes, not pipe smoke? Why? The latter has sooo much more literary support, and frankly, it smells better to non-users!

Cuup wrote:
All variable and numeric effects of a spell activated from Shag are treated as if the user rolled 1's for them. For example: someone imbibing a typical Shag of Cure Light Wounds would receive 2 points of healing, as if they rolled a 1 on the d8.

Is this going to be dirt cheap? It had better be, if people are supposed to waste their gold on it. I'd prefer something like,

"All variable effects of a spell activated from Shag are treated as two dice types lower," turning a CSW into 1d4+5.

Or "The CL of all spells activated from Shag is reduced by 2 (minimum 0)," turning CSW into 1d8+3. (In this case, there would need to be a minimum CL on the feat needed to craft this stuff of at least 3.)

{EtA: I was going to give you URLs, but the connection farted. I do remember the estimate from WHO of 30 marijuana joints/ounce. And from Wiki of 30 tobacco ciggies/ounce, as well -- IF I did the necessary math right, for the amounts from 1960, before the manufacturers went on a major adulteration craze. Google "How much x in a joint/cigarette." Pipe bowl contents was harder; the best I could find were informal user estimates that amount to 2 cigs per "group 4" bowl. And a smoking time of at least 10 minutes.

And still, significant cancer rates, especially of the tongue and larynx. (We all know about cig cancer, right?) Let's hope I can post this time...}

Thanks for the insight and passion! I'm a tobacco pipe smoker myself, and I agree that pipes are much more iconic in fantasy settings; I was just using cigarettes as a standard measurement; pipe bows vary by a lot, and you can put as much or as little tobacco as you want, based on how long you plan to smoke, but cigarettes are usually a standard size and density, which makes it easier to determine how much tobacco represents a "charge" reduced from the total 1oz dose. I appreciate the numbers, thank you very much!

I want them to be cheap, but not dirt cheap. other spell effects like Invisibility, Tiny Hut/Rope Trick/etc., and Fly suddenly become available too easily if they're affordable by any commoner, even if they do take a minute to activate.

Rainzax - Thanks for the input, but I want to make this as easy as smoking a pipe or cigarette, just like imbibing a potion is as easy as drinking water, so I definitely don't want UMD to be a part of it. Having it be exclusive to the Alchemist is worth merit, though, I'll give it some thought.


rainzax wrote:

What if using Shag is an untrained UMD skill check DC 10+X?

Then a pipe is a masterwork smoking tool (+2).

All spells on the Alchemists list, functioning like extracts but at reduced effect (half CL)?

With interesting side-effects for failing the DC by 5 or 10...

It doesn't have to be UMD for the other ideas here to function well. I second using the Alchemist list at half-CL.

Cuup, your Minimize doesn't rein in Fly at all, but completely nerfs a Cure. Too little restriction on the one hand, too much on the other.

And I still advocate talking about pipe smoking and a 10-minute period for spells to become effective. Much more flavorful, truly. You could call it 15 pipefuls per ounce, or 12 if that's prettier. Less isn't effective, and more is just wasteful.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

*looks in*

This was really not what I was expecting.


I imagine followers of Arshea, Calistria, and Caydan are all about Magic Shag.


I'm hiding this topic, because it's insensitive to those who are allergic to tobacco smoke and steam. Don't Direct Message me.


bitter lily wrote:
rainzax wrote:

What if using Shag is an untrained UMD skill check DC 10+X?

Then a pipe is a masterwork smoking tool (+2).

All spells on the Alchemists list, functioning like extracts but at reduced effect (half CL)?

With interesting side-effects for failing the DC by 5 or 10...

It doesn't have to be UMD for the other ideas here to function well. I second using the Alchemist list at half-CL.

Cuup, your Minimize doesn't rein in Fly at all, but completely nerfs a Cure. Too little restriction on the one hand, too much on the other.

And I still advocate talking about pipe smoking and a 10-minute period for spells to become effective. Much more flavorful, truly. You could call it 15 pipefuls per ounce, or 12 if that's prettier. Less isn't effective, and more is just wasteful.

OK, so let's go with Alchemist Extract list at half CL (minimum 1) for now, and a 10 minute smoke to make it work.

With those limitations, let's talk about price and Craft DC's. If we're going with 15 charges per does (and to be clear, when I say charges per dose, I'm talking about uses per ounce, which can be divvied up, saved, or smoked individually at any point), how about a cost of [CL*spell level*100], which makes one charge of a 1st-level Extract at CL 1 cost 7 gp. I'm assuming the CL used in the price calculation is NOT halved like the effect's CL is. I've never done much crafting in Pathfinder, aside from making Scrolls as a Wizard. I can't find craft DC's for magic items in the Craft rules, the Potion rules, or the Brew Potion feat. Are there just no craft DC's for magic items in Pathfinder? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Speaking of the Brew Potion feat, who should be able to make Magic Shag? Do you need to take a feat? Do Alchemists get the feat for free? Is it exclusively an Alchemist thing with no feat?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Sorry... I saw the title and was thinking of something else entirely.

Or maybe this.


I'm sorry to have backed off from this thread. Unfortunately, I am ill with vertigo right now. I have been unable to look at gaming things or spend time with reading/typing on the screen since Tuesday the 20th. I hope that treatment will be successful next week.

I'll come back!


Feel better, Lily!

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Suggestions/House Rules/Homebrew / Magic Shag All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.