Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Countdown to Marvel Comics Secret Empire ...or!


Comics

301 to 350 of 371 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber
Chris Mortika wrote:

Can we see Earth through the shield? Yes. Is Earth plunged into eternal inky blackness? No.

So sunlight is getting through the shield.

Neutrinos are a lot harder to stop than light.

Not that I disagree with any of that that, but if that's the case how the hell can this stupid shield stop Monica Rambeau from getting through. I mean she's basically a being of pure light.

Add to that the chance that Ultron's neutrino could never meet Earth (and even if it meets Earth, chances are that it would go straight through it), I would really hate if that's the solution they chose for Ultron to have returned.


*adopts lecturing physics professor tone*

Well, Monica keeps to the electromagnetic spectrum. We can stop that with suffucient concrete and steel in the real world. More advanced tech could probably do things like detect unusual patterns (e.g. thought patterns, lattices, matrices, etc.) and configure against anything like that. Neutrinos, however, only interact with two of the fundamental forces: weak atomic and gravity. Ultron's neutrino would come roaring through. When they get to Earth, they could hop off and be home. And if it looked like the aim was bad, he could always hop on another one. Physics with Pym particles is...messy, I'm afraid.

*gets down from podium before being pelted with rotten tomatoes and old reprints*

Dark Archive

I'm not sure that a neutrino, being mostly massless, could carry a passenger, even a wee robot.

I'm also not sure if Ultron, no matter how fast his brain works, could even *see* a neutrino moving at light speed, anticipate which direction a particular neutrino is going (to make sure that he hops on one that's actually got a chance of hitting the Earth), grab onto it (they seem like they'd be slippery, and frictionless, and utterly lacking in handlebars), etc.

If Ultron wants out of anything here in 616, like, the sun, he just needs to shrink all the way down to the point where he no longer exists in 616 and 100% of his mass is shunted to Kosmos (where the meat that makes up Pym's giant body comes from, and the meat that makes up 99% of his mass goes when he shrinks). From Kosmos, where things are different (and he's not stuck in the sun, and there's no Earth, let alone an energy shield in his way), he can wander around freely until he gets he reaches the spatial coordinates that correspond to where he wants to be in the 616 universe, and then re-grow, shunting his mass back into the 616 universe. It's a slow, slow form of teleportation, but well within the capabilities of the Pym particles.

As for Monica, she should be able to zap right through the field, as light, but, for some reason, cannot. Who knows. Monica can't go through the field because Marvel doesn't want Monica on Earth to stop Captain America's Secret Empire, and didn't feel like having their master strategist come up with a gadget to neutralize her specifically, like a big shiny box that absorbed her energy form and trapped it if she ever showed up in the giant red herring base-of-evil he built to lure her in.

Owen Reese? Dude canonically controls molecules. Not neutrinos or whatever energy particles make up the shield, or atoms, or electrons, or quarks, or gravitons or psions or magicons or whatever. He should be utterly useless here. But who knows what powers he's got, since at least some of the people who have written him have shown him manipulating energy (and creating pocket dimensions, and other babblescience twaddle), and clearly have no idea what a molecule is, and how matter is not the same thing as energy.


Given Ultron should have access to Pym's abilities (he was sitting on a neutrino talking with his Pym half about this), he should've at least started the trip by now then. But then, Ultron's not the most logical creature ever published.

As for Monica, I agree. At least in principle. Thing is...light isn't just light. The light in my room here is different from the light of the sun. The photon flux density of my lights is probably around 20; outside, where I live, this time of year, likely around 1100. Different combinations of blue, red, green, etc. wavelengths in each. I'd say it's likely she can duplicate sunlight (don't know, my knowledge of her is low)...so yeah, I'm sensing the writers want her busy.

Dark Archive

Lathiira wrote:
As for Monica, I agree. At least in principle. Thing is...light isn't just light. The light in my room here is different from the light of the sun. The photon flux density of my lights is probably around 20; outside, where I live, this time of year, likely around 1100. Different combinations of blue, red, green, etc. wavelengths in each. I'd say it's likely she can duplicate sunlight (don't know, my knowledge of her is low)...so yeah, I'm sensing the writers want her busy.

Yeah, the science, as is always the case with comic books, squiffy, at best. She's been described since Nextwave (and in several later appearances) as converting her physical mass into *120 lbs* of photons, which would be a heck of a lot of 'light.'

Maybe the force field simply reacts to the increased mass, of her photon body, letting in light that 'weighs as much as normal light,' but not person-sized packets of energy that weigh 120 lbs. :)


Let's go with your theory :)


Set,

I think Owen said at one point that his name is a misnomer. But I still think he could break through the freaking shield.

I do agree thought it seems unlikely that Ultron, even at above average levels, has the processing power necessary to make the calculations necessary to figure out where a neutrino would land.


Why are we going with realism arguments in a world where people die from the shock of falling off of buildings?


Freehold,

What you mean Jack Flag? He's not dead! He's just napping!

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
What you mean Jack Flag? He's not dead! He's just napping!

Jack Flag - "Good thing that old lady broke my fall!"

Free Spirit - "!!!"
Jack Flag - "Well, not for her, obviously..."


I meant that his abilities SHOULD kick in to revive him.

I think.


Just trying to pass an afternoon, Freehold, sorry, didn't mean to offend :)


Lathiira,

I'm okay with you offending Freehold. :P ;)


Thomas Seitz wrote:

Lathiira,

I'm okay with you offending Freehold. :P ;)

I have the utmost respect for Freehold. Except I cannot respect unreasoning hatred, even for something as controversial as Whedon. I just don't needle Freehold over that, because I'm understanding that Whedon does have his downsides.


Lathiira wrote:
Just trying to pass an afternoon, Freehold, sorry, didn't mean to offend :)

perfectly alright


Thomas Seitz wrote:

Lathiira,

I'm okay with you offending Freehold. :P ;)

perfectly not alright!


Lathiira wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Lathiira,

I'm okay with you offending Freehold. :P ;)

I have the utmost respect for Freehold. Except I cannot respect unreasoning hatred, even for something as controversial as Whedon. I just don't needle Freehold over that, because I'm understanding that Whedon does have his downsides.

perfectly....uh...neutral?


Let's go old-school Freehold: Neutral with Chaotic tendencies?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have no strong feelings for the Whedon. I do have strong feeling for the Nathan Fillon, in that I'd love to see him as Simon Williams.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
I have no strong feelings for the Whedon. I do have strong feeling for the Nathan Fillon, in that I'd love to see him as Simon Williams.

Now that's an idea I can get behind.


I'm glad to hear that Lathiira. :)


Delightful wrote:


Does anyone actually think that Nick Spenser is a white nationalist Neo-Nazi because of this HydraCap thing? If so, I think that's actually kind of unfair and reductive. I don't even really like Nick Spenser's writing but throughout his tenure on the two Cap books I ever thought he was condoning or stating that HydraCap is totally in the right and Nazism is cool. If anything he's guilty of being gun shy when it comes to HydraCap's actually ethos. Is he just a generic authoritarian who wants to takeover the world for the greater or is he a genuine Nazi who wants to wipe out mutants, indoctrinate children, and build concentration camps. From my assessment it constantly changes from issue to issue that is bad. The guy wants to ape Nazi imagery for shock value and but at the same time wants to make HydraCap slightly reasonable in a Doctor Doom kind of way. Regardless, in both of these depictions I never felt that I was supposed to believe that HydraCap is good and just in things he's doing and I think Nick Spenser wanted that to be what I felt. So no I don't think he's a Neo-Nazi for that reasonable and because I doubt a Neo-Nazi would want their Mary Sue author vessel to lose by the end of Secret Empire and be replaced by some non-Nazi counterpart.

I did not get the same vibe either. As well seeing a writer called a "white nationalist Neo-Nazi sympathizer" is making me quite uncomfortable. Not because I am one because I think it's going too far. For all we know Nick Spenser is being told to do that by Marvel. Who seems to be in the "let's keep ruining characters and see our sales figures keep plummeting but it's not our fault. It's really because the fans since they are afraid of change and don't like anything new" mode.

Delightful wrote:


That all said, I get why so many people are angry about this. Captain America actually matters to them as a character and in that way he's something of a sacred cow whose political statements and actions have extra weight because he is Captain f*~$ing America. Even if this isn't the time he's been turned into a Nazi it still is going to irk people who have such close relationship with the character and history. I don't have that problem because I typically take a nihilistic view of mainstream superhero comics and just wait until the reset finally comes around and we move to things I actually like, but I suppose that not everyone can do that.

The anger to m at least is justified towards the story because it's ruining Cap as a character and all the character stood for over the years. It's complete and utter character assassination imo. Even if they wish away what he did with the Cosmic Cube. It feels like a cheap solution. Even if they go back to writing the previous stories with Cap as he was. For some fans he is ruined. The only thing that would save the character is bringing back Sam as the Falcon or a new Captain America. With Steve Rogers going away for at least 5-10 years. It's not just one bad story. It's ruining a character possibly beyond any fixing the character.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

If this ruins cap forever for some people, they aren't comic book fans.

Between capwolf and the man without a country and the first time he was mind whammied into be coming a Nazi, he's been in worse places.

Also, hydra is not the actual Nazis. They are a comic book pastiche. They're about as nazi as colonel klink. The conflation here is getting pretty bad, and it's starting to get worrisome.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:

If this ruins cap forever for some people, they aren't comic book fans.

Between capwolf and the man without a country and the first time he was mind whammied into be coming a Nazi, he's been in worse places.

Also, hydra is not the actual Nazis. They are a comic book pastiche. They're about as Nazi as colonel klink. The conflation here is getting pretty bad, and it's starting to get worrisome.

Exactly the way that I feel. I thought it best to walk away from any of those conversations as I'm enjoying the story being told and there's no talking to the other side once they've adopted that stance.

The idea that someone who is writing a story like this actually being considered a Nazi is troubling. And I'm someone who would like for ACTUAL Nazis to be punched frequently and OFTEN. I've met Nick Spencer at cons on two occasions and I gotta say I like to think that my White Supremacist/Racist d*ck radar is sharply honed, I never picked up that vibe from him at all.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

To be honest after the last issue of steve rogers captain America I would agree he's not a Nazi he's basically Donald trump not sure thats really much better.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Kevin,

No because HydraCap so far at least is doing his best to run the country better than that POS.

Also, I remain unconvinced now after issue #3 Cap isn't somewhere back inside himself. Maybe.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Freehold DM,

Tis true.

Comic fans have to put up with a lot crap. Superman getting a mullet, Spiderman having a dozen hidden clones, Iron Man turning into a fascist, Captain Marvel turning into a fascist, the Amazons being rapists and now HydraCap. It's stuff like that that makes me think comic characters need definite ends to their stories instead generation after generation of writers continuing to write about them. Things tend to get weird and silly after awhile when a character has been around for too long.

ShinHakkaider,

People are hyper-defensive and scared these days. Any hint of endorsement of right-wing or anti-social justice ideologies from writers can result in something of a witch hunt. Comics need to be examined in a critical and socially conscious manner but almost immediately declaring someone a Neo-Nazi-antiblack-homophobic-transphobic-misgynoist whenever they delve into dicey topics that certain people don't want to be depicted in their escapist fantasy is a bit much even though it is well-intended.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Kevin,

No because HydraCap so far at least is doing his best to run the country better than that POS.

Well there was the rant he did on alternative facts which sounded pretty Trumpish to me


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

...I liked the Superman mullet


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Moving on!

In SE movement:

Namor apparently enjoys kidnapping friends just to keep the peace.

*pauses* Yep that's it!

NON-SE stuff that is actually quite good!

Champions introduce us to a NEW (and I mean REALLY new!) legacy hero, Red Locust! She's pretty great. Plus she crushes hard on Viv.

Avengers...has a Wasp moment with Doom again, but this time at least Doom can handle a power sucking Avenger X. I kept wondering why Avenger X hadn't heard of Doctor Doom but then I realize she's been in a tomb for a while...so.

Amazing Spider-man finale! Sable wins! Spidey Wins. Norman still is disfigured but hey at least now he figures "I need my Goblin juice!"
Oh and Bobbi is still not a SHIELD agent and SHIELD cuts ties with Parker Industries. Ouch. There goes the revenue stream!

Black Bolt and the Absorbing Man work their way around to friendship and a jail break.

Daredevil does some legal maneuvers to get himself on the stand WITHOUT taking off his mask. Apparently. Great Cameos with Luke and Echo.

Doctor Strange reveals both Wong leaving and Zelma staying. Plus you know Weirdworld gets a reminder cameo along with Morgan Le Fay.

Iron Fist fights THREE guys that are pretty good martial artists and gets told "Finish this and get back to K'un-L'un"

Jessica Jones finds out there's no place like home. Even if you're the one that screwed it up. Oh and we'll probably see more about Maria Hill I'd assume.

Nova ends its run with confusing results but we still at least get Richard Rider back. No clue how Nova force power works on and off. But there you are.

Rocket goes to jail! Plus some Technet.

Bombshell finds out you don't fight Hammerhead head on. You always lose. Which pisses off Miles. So...yeah Hammerhead and Spider-man round 2!

Nadia's all girl science squad manages to remove the bomb in a pretty interesting if gross way along with tag-teaming with Daredevil. Oh and Nadia's friend might be dead from head trauma.

The X-men find out how bad a AI nano-swarm Sentinel can be along with others that aren't mutants but do have mutations!

Oh and apparently Magik is going to all Black Widow/Sam Cap on us. Not Emma. Sad...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So! Things actually happened in SE that might matter!

We get a short preview of Sam Wilson's underground and it's magic train. (Yes you read that right. It's a magic train that traveled from NYC to Montana and now goes straight to the Canadian border.)

Secret Warriors finds out Dark Beast ISN'T dead, but then no one else knew in New Tian. Plus apparently they need to head back to find some weird Inhuman. Oh and Boom Boom was a total...well not nice words for her to Ms Marvel. But I guess when you're a mutant, it's tough to feel sorry for down on their luck super heroines. Also, Daisy is totally leading this group, no matter what Ms Marvel and the rest say.

Deadpool finds out he can take a lot of things, but serving Hydra is still not one of them. At least not overtly. Plus you know Quicksilver needs to learn to hide his tracks better.

The Unity Squad deals with the fact being inside the Darkforce Dimension isn't great, but hey at least Quicksilver is out there right?

Secret Empire United gives us a look behind the veil at New Tian...and apparently Magneto ISN'T running the show. Emma is! Yes and she probably mind whammied Steve, but it's unclear how much he believes her. Oh and Sunfire is probably going to be executed.

Secret Empire #4 has some good points, some bad points and some REALLY weird points. Good points: More seeing Steve in a kind of Limbo fighting with Rhodey and Bucky. Scarlet Witch's change over is due to Chthon (probably) But most certainly now. (I call that good because at least it's not due to mind control.) Hank Pym/Ultron apparently is willing to stay away because he realizes what a crap fest is coming. Plus you know, ready to beat up the winner. Bad points; Natasha is getting more old school ruthless while the rest of her red team is kind of wondering if they're going the right way... Thor Odinson ISN'T under mind control. I'm REALLY disappointed in that. Worse is the fact I'm pretty sure Scott Lang is the traitor...because I know Steve Rogers is good at doing that. But we'll see. Weird things; Just the entire dinner party scene and the dialog there. Namor joining up with Steve...but I keep wondering why. So yeah...#4 is a VERY mixed bag of bad, really bad, a little good, and some very weird.

In NON-SE stuff!

Renew your vows MJ finds out being Venom isn't great. Like it will eat your soul!

Speaking of eating, Brock and Venom might be back together, but that doesn't mean Eddie wants to backslide into Lethal Avenger. Especially if there's something wrong with Venom. Oh and Stergon is back to make dino-people. AGAIN!

Ms Marvel finds out ALL her worst personal enemies from 20+ issues are joining up. Yeah it's not looking good there.

Ben Reilly finds a way to dig lower but at the same time gets his old costume back. Plus apparently trying to con people. It's really weird.

Black Panther and the Crew is building slowly to...nothing honestly since we all know this ends in 5 issues! Bah. But at least we get to see more of Harlem and some call backs to older heroes.

Jen Walters is learning a little more control over her Hulk side...but still no sign of going back from grey just yet. Probably has to do with fear and loss I'd imagine. We'll see. At least Patsy made a cameo!

Kingpin mini-series ends with him getting famous again and of course coming out it like a normal person.

Thanos and Starfox go on a MacBeth type quest to find the Coven that showed up in issue #4. Only now we get more backstory on said coven and how they can help Thanos. Oh and Thane is falling under Lady Death's spell while at the same time the Phoenix gets to blow up planets. Good for it.

The Defenders continue to figure out just how the hell Diamondback (the original not the Serpent Society chick), came back to life. Plus Luke gets his butt handed to him. Oh and apparently only Diamondback didn't get mind wiped.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl...isn't around but her side kicks still manage to save the day. Kind of. It's weird...and saying that makes me feel even weirder after the whole Ultron/Avengers dinner party.

Gwenpool! is still around...but apparently she's just normalish girl that keep thinking she's in a comic book. Weird girl huh?

And now the X-men portion of our non-SE:

Laura Kinney isn't looking too good being possibly dead. But hey, Daken showed up and helped to save the day. But even so, we got to see coolest thing as people we expected to kill...heal instead.

Weapon X reveals its director! Unsurprising, it's a guy that hates mutants! Yes Reverend Striker is back. Only now apparently he wants more killer cyborgs. I guess humans weren't cutting it for him.

Old man Wolverine has a PTSD type flashback in the present as both the Mastreo AND somehow some of Banner's kids are in 616. But hey at least he can kill those guys again right?

SPEAKING of alternate realties, Miss Sinister returns with some of the old Ultimate Mutant X-men from...Well Ultimate universe. Quicksilver might want to check to see if he can out run himself. Oh and Armor is here too. But mostly it's a chance to see Jeanine will trust one pretty bad guy (Magneto) over the really bad guy she doesn't know. Oh and Wolverine's kid joins up.

Generation X might not be the most swank title, but it is doing LOTS of call back to previous X-men titles/runs. Face, the guy with literally no face, shows up! Emplate is on prowl! Quentin Quire!...won't stop being Quentin Quire.


Love these recaps. Interesting.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Freehold,

I do them just for you...

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber

Well, I try my best not to read them, because I'm a bit behind again and don't want to get spoilered (also the reason I don't react to them :) )


Wormy,

So I should probably not do them is your suggestion? Cause I can.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber

Not at all. If Freehold DM alone would enjoy them, that would be reason enough to do them, but I suspect that there may be others enjoying them as well.

Was more to explain why I'm so silent atm.


AH! Well I figured if you wanted to say something, Wormy, you would.

And yes apparently Freehold likes them. I'm not sure that's necessarily a prerequisite for doing them. Mostly I do them so later on when the story moves, I have points of references.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber

huh, and now I was wondering where my last post dissappeared, until I found out that I had just forgot to send it :D So here comes:

Thomas Seitz wrote:


Thor Odinson ISN'T under mind control. I'm REALLY disappointed in that. Worse is the fact I'm pretty sure Scott Lang is the traitor...because I know Steve Rogers is good at doing that....

Well, I really hope he isn't but I have a hard time seeing anyone else as the traitor. You never know, though, who might be mind-controlled, with all this mind-controlling all over the place. Could be Tony, as far as I know.

I'm not as disappointed about the Odinsson, though. It's only logical, as Cap Hydra proved himself worthy of the Hammer, so he must be right, even if it feels wrong.


Wormy,

It feels VERY wrong. As for others being mind controlled, it's possible BUT for the fact Bobbi quit SHIELD before the attack. I just think that Scott will do it because of Cassie, not because he believes in HYDRA. But that's just a guess.

I am, however, as I said, disappointed. I thought my favorite hero wouldn't willingly ally himself with HYDRA. I mean at least Wanda and Vision make sense. (Especially now they've bound Chthon into her. That's a feat.)

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah I get that with Scott, so it's more that I really like the guy so I don't want to see him being the bad guy again. Apart from that, I named Tony because we know that Steve had access to him when he was still in coma, and given their difficult history, no one would ever suspect Tony, so I wouldn't wonder if Steve took the chance to influence him even before he woke up.

And yeah, it feels wrong.I would have loved to see Thor going against the person besmirching the hammer with his touch, but with all that came up before, it kinda makes sense that he trusts the hammer more than he trusts his own feelings.


@ Thomas Seitz: I think you sold SE #4 short:

-Wanda IS possessed by Chton, which is perfectly in continuity (that's been one thing this particular Elder God wanted to do for a long time). The only strange thing is her power level. Chton is easily as big a menace as Ultron is.

-Natasha wants to kill Steve Rogers and she's got a point ("Do you think if he was the man he used to be he'd want to keep living like this?"). The Champions are not getting over to her way of doing things. Doing things their way almost got one of them killed. Natasha was forced to kill the hydra agent to save said champion's life.

-Thor is not under mind control, true, but he's being blackmailed with the "life of his loved ones", which is clear from his dialogue with Hercules. Does this make him a bad godling?

-Namor didn't join Cap's side, he gave him the cosmic cube fragment under threat to the whole of Atlantis. Also I suspect there's something going on with the guard accompanying him (Jim Hammond?). There might be more about this than it catches the eye.

-I agree about Scott Lang being the traitor as I suspect he's being blackmailed too. Still this doesn't make him a terrible person.

-The dinner scene was truly great. It effectively showed how disfunctional the Avenger's family grew since Disassembled. It also pointed out how unfair most avengers have been to Hank since his "wife beater" moment with Jan so many years ago. They've allowed mass murderers into their ranks but never seem to be able to forgive Hank Pym, no matter what he does to redeem himself. Lastly this was a great parody of some "family dinners" when unconvenient truths are revealed in the most damaging ways possible and the last part of the dialogue between Ultron/Pym and Captain Hydra leaves the question open about who' really in charge inside the robot's mind and its real reasons.


Damn good point regarding Pym.

May just look at se4.


Roger,

It's my opinion but I'm always glad to have counter points to that.

Yesh Chthon is worse/as powerful as Ultron, but remember who HydraCap has on his side. Madame Hydra apparently was almost Chthon's bride. So it stands to reason she could bind him effectively inside Wanda.

I dunno about that. The HYDRA agent who just had a knife, not sure he would have been THAT much of a threat with Spider-man, Wasp/Nadia Pym, Viv Vision, Riri Williams/Iron Heart and the all new Falcon who has a healing factor. But that's just an opinion.

You raise a point I missed in that he might be being black mailed...but it doesn't feel like that unless it's to free Jane Foster Thor. Which we still dunno where she is.

While I admit that Namor didn't join up, he did give up slightly. But you're right that it could be a ruse and Jim Hammond (in disguise) COULD be among those that Namor let go with him. I guess we'll see later on.

I don't blame Scott IF it's because he's being blackmailed. I just pointed out, he seems the most likely candidates among the Underground we've seen.

As for who's in charge? Hard to say sure. But to me, Hank is probably letting Ultron feel like he's got control. I do agree Hank should be forgiven but it's hard to feel that way when he keeps screwing up. The entire dinner scene just felt WEIRD even if it played well in how much stuff has been screwed up since Disassembled.


Thomas Seitz wrote:

Roger,

It's my opinion but I'm always glad to have counter points to that.

Yesh Chthon is worse/as powerful as Ultron, but remember who HydraCap has on his side. Madame Hydra apparently was almost Chthon's bride. So it stands to reason she could bind him effectively inside Wanda.

I dunno about that. The HYDRA agent who just had a knife, not sure he would have been THAT much of a threat with Spider-man, Wasp/Nadia Pym, Viv Vision, Riri Williams/Iron Heart and the all new Falcon who has a healing factor. But that's just an opinion.

You raise a point I missed in that he might be being black mailed...but it doesn't feel like that unless it's to free Jane Foster Thor. Which we still dunno where she is.

While I admit that Namor didn't join up, he did give up slightly. But you're right that it could be a ruse and Jim Hammond (in disguise) COULD be among those that Namor let go with him. I guess we'll see later on.

I don't blame Scott IF it's because he's being blackmailed. I just pointed out, he seems the most likely candidates among the Underground we've seen.

As for who's in charge? Hard to say sure. But to me, Hank is probably letting Ultron feel like he's got control. I do agree Hank should be forgiven but it's hard to feel that way when he keeps screwing up. The entire dinner scene just felt WEIRD even if it played well in how much stuff has been screwed up since Disassembled.

-The point about Chton is if he's in control of Wanda and free of his imprisonment (Chton "body" is the Darkhold...) he's a reality warping god and Ultron should not be able to capture him, nor he should be challenged by a few avengers.

-The hydra agent was almost stabbing Riri. Yet I admit Natasha could have left him his knife expecting things to turn out this way in order to teach a practical lesson to the Champions...

-Herc says:"You speak of Stark's follies? The Odinson disgraces us all!
Thor answers:"Watch your tongue, godling. I do what I must... For those I love and for Asgard" (emphasis mine)
So perhaps Cap Hydra found a way to threaten even Asgard?

-In SE #3 Cap basically declared war on Namor and Namor stated Atlantis has no way to survive a confrontation with Hydra Nation. Yet I agree it's extremely weird for Namor to act this way and bend his knee. Usually Namor would not care and start a war just out of pride. Maybe he learned something after Secret Wars?

-Well, pre Disassembled the Avengers really were a family, especially the founding members and the early recruits (Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Vision...) after that event they turned into "just another superhero team" composed of the biggest household names (Wolverine joined, Spider Man joined, EVERYONE joined...). As usual I BLAME BENDIS!


Rogar,

I think we're like ships in the night, passing each other on Chthon. The fact he IS bound inside Wanda must be limiting him some how. That plus I expect other bindings. That's why he's not breaking down reality right now. Which I suspect is due to Elisa Sinclair, who has stated she's a very potent sorceress in her own right. Probably on par with Doctor Strange, so binding an Elder God to do her bidding AND also keep him from going rough shod...that might be why Ultron could hold him/her.

The Hydra Agent ALMOST stabbed Riri. He wasn't going to get far I doubt with all those guys around. Nat shooting him instead of him getting the beat down...that's what kind of upsetting to both the Champions and myself.

As for Cap threatening Asgard? Possible. He's already shown he's got someone with great magical skills. Plus the turmoil within Asgard over Odin and his wife/Thor's other Mom and the Serpent in charge...

I'm not sure he learned anything, he's been dead before. Why should dying around Secret Wars change him?

But yes, I blame Bendis for lots of stuff too.


Secret Empire #4 was freaking hilarious.

Ultron-Pym aka the Hank Henshaw ripoff had me going with his dinner scene and rant that was basically most Marvel fans criticism of the last decade of Marvel event comics. Tony apparently being set to drunk mode and pulling out the spouse-beater card was great. Pretty sure I've scene that exact scene in a Madea film but I can't remember which one. Oh well.

Anyways, I hope we get more of this lunacy, where me being completely not invested in the seriousness of the situation actually makes the humor stronger. It's actually kind like a Deadpool that's forgotten it's a Deadpool and thinks it actually matters and has real drama. Comedy gold.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber
Thomas Seitz wrote:
But yes, I blame Bendis for lots of stuff too.

By the way, I thought that Defenders #1 was pretty good. :D

In all honesty, though, I think that Bendis gets to much flak without reason. He's proven that he can write great comics and stoylines (and no, I'm not talking about indie stuff only, but also about some great series he delivered for Marvel) and especially as far as the big events go, I think that if something's going wrong, it's probably more due to a flawed concept, not because of the executor.

But I may be biased, because Disassembled basically was what turned me into an Avengers fan. Had basically completely ignored them beforehand because in my mind they couldn't hold a candle to the X-Men and the Justice League was way more interesting anyways.


Wormy,

You're allowed to like Bendis. Mostly because I think one person should. It's just not me.

Also yes, Defenders #1 was good. It was just weird seeing Luke Cage get the crap kicked out of him by a low level hood. Even one back from the dead.

Delightful,

Eh. I'm okay for humor but I didn't think it was appropriate when you had the stakes pretty high.

SPEAKING of high! I didn't notice this until someone brought it up but apparently Emma Frost has a shard of Cosmic Cube on her. (I just thought it was something she made in her diamond form...)

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber
Thomas Seitz wrote:
It was just weird seeing Luke Cage get the crap kicked out of him by a low level hood.

Absolutely. I was literally jumping out of my seat when he smashed Cage's head through the floor. Probably had the same look on my face like Felicia had. ^^


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So! I know Wormy doesn't want spoilers. But I also know Freehold LIKES my summaries! So in an effort to please both, I will now do this!

SE related SPOILERS!!!!
!
!
!
!

Spoiler:

So first we have the mini-series tie ins.

Underground showcases how much Bobbi should be leading the Avengers, along with the fact Sauron still need Stegron to be an effective villain. That plus Savage Land Mutates showcase makes for good read. Not great read but still. Also Quicksilver is still a dick, and Sam is worried about being betrayed. (As he should be!)

Part 2 of Brave New World has our newest Patriot (who if you'd been reading before isn't a surprise) giving his origins and of course fighting skills. He's probably going to join the Red Room. Sad. Second part deals with Bob's new world order and the fact he's still Bob, Agent of HYDRA. But the best part of this issue, in my mind, even though Namor is willing to concede the field, his cousin (and honestly the better of the two hybrids) Namora leading the underground in the Atlantis to not just depose her cousin, but lead the charge against HYDRA. So YAY NAMORA!!! Also glad to see Hammond and Toro get a little love.

Title tie ins next!

USA Avengers is kind of all over the map, what with betrayal, Red Hulk now being puppetized, and the remaining Avengers ending up in Europe. Plus side? Euroforce/Contest of Champions returns with Ares showing why the God of War isn't someone you leave lying around. Oh and De Costa isn't dead but clearly not doing well with that head trauma. Oh and Cannonball isn't dead either. So plus for that!

The really strange bedfellows of Strange, Jessica Drew, Kingpin and Ben Ulrich are trying to take out Strange's old enemy, Mordo, but at the same time survive Darkforce NYC. It's weird but it at least had the humor of seeing Mordo and Daredevil having a kind of one sided conversation. That and witches shouldn't try to horde dark artifacts.

Steve Rogers learns that while you might control the USA, you don't control all the world. ESPECIALLY not Wakanda. So yeah that was satisfying. Still wish T'Challa would step it up but I guess he's got enough homeland problems without starting an international incident. Oh and we things from Namor's PoV. I guess.

That's it for that! Next is regular non-SE stuff. And BOY hoody, there's some doozies. NON-SE Spoilers!
!
!
!
!

Spoiler:

So right off the bat for me, the two most important ones;

So War Thor is our old friend Volstagg! Yes I thought it would be Odin too. I guess hammers just don't like the old guy. STILL! It's not unexpected in terms of seeing little light elven kids get brutally murdered in your arms while trying to get away from the fighting. Oh and Odinson has a piss moment about the fact Jane told him who the other Thor is. Mostly thought? It's see War Thor for the first time and wondering "Just how far will the blood flow for this new Thor?"

Ultimates showcases the histories of two of the most powerful non-celestial cosmic entities in Marvel comics universe, Ego and Galactus. Both have had their issues, but thanks to Galactus' change over, he helps Ego and we also get a little more (possible retcon perhaps!) origin story of Ego. Oh and he joins the Ultimates of the Cosmic Entities to free Eternity from the First Firmament.

So yeah.

Peter Parker's newest Spidey book has a few surprises. First is the fact we return something even *I* had forgotten about. Peter's sister. Yeah that girl is back and apparently in continuity. Plus we meet the Tinkerer's brother who isn't happy with his brother's world view of helping villains. And you know, Black Widow helping SHIELD trace/copy Spidey's spider sense for them. So between the old sister act (who know if she really is who she says she is) and Black Widow, this book has something for those looking less...I guess business related maybe? I dunno.

Guardians continue to figure out how to beat the Collector, but only after Gamora promises to get him an Infinity stone. (Honestly at this point I'd just hire Doctor Strange. He's got time!)

America does more timey-wimey stuff but at the same time showcases why she's the best at being the punchiest of her generation. Plus you know, awesome Latina Bisexual wonder power. Still not quite sure what to make of the book, but at least it's not dull!

Daredevil tries to pull off (and succeeds by accident and stupid villain stuff involved too) to get it so that now Super heroes can testify in open court WITHOUT revealing their secret identity. (I guess you can learn something when you do that and you get Purple man's kids to do a mind wipe.) Oh and Wilson Fisk doesn't like it. But too freaking bad eh?

Riri William's continuing adventures shows us that while Commander Carter is a great agent, she's still not quite cut out for overall SHIELD command. I mean letting a bomber into the event center? Mostly I felt like it was some Riri history with the waiting for the
Lucia von Bardas do evil from a far. But a GREAT cameo appearance by Lady Octopus.

Luke's next issue of his stand alone series does kind of read like a mixture of Shaft meeting the Big Easy...if you ignore all the super science and crazy going on. Mostly I just want to see less of this story line and more of Luke being Luke. But eh. We'll see.

Man-Thing's short run is finished. I can't say I loved it...but I also can't say I hated it. It was...kind of what I expected in the sense it was weird. But not like Weird Tales weird. More like kids writing stories weird. But hey maybe next time right?

Monsters Unleashed shows us that while I might not care for Mole Man, he's not an unfeeling guy. That plus the all new Intelligentsia
are a force to not be taken lightly. Best stuff was though clearly Lady Hellbender fighting our scrappy but lovely Elsa Bloodstone. Even if it didn't matter.

Royals shows us that Ronan's new power upgrade is legit and not going away. (Unlike some OTHERS that did!) Plus he gets to accuse people (even if both Medusa and Maximus don't care.) Oh and more signs of future stuff I guess. Maybe.

Spider-man 2099 shows us that while the Fist is new, their leader is kind of old and not really interested in waiting around for humans to get their crap together. Also! Miguel might not be with us for much longer! Yep. He's possibly dead. Thanks time travel! But good news! His son is taking up the mask! Weird I know but not all that bad, honestly.

So that's the NON-SE Marvel. Now for the Mutants! (Because apparently you and the rest of Marvel U keep them separate.) SPOILERS!
!
!
!
!

Spoiler:
Iceman and Kitty reconnect but more as friends and obviously as mutants working on a team to keep mutants safe. Mostly it was more of seeing Bobby struggle to figure out who he is now that's he a) gay and b) still a mutant.

Weapon X and Hulk have been teaming up to talk about the new Weapon X stuff. This mini-shot, WMD, shows us some REALLY cool moments as we get deeper into both the antagonists (IE mostly Reverend Stryker and a few scientists) while our protagonists try to figure out what's going on and how to stop them.

X-men Gold shows us being a powerful telepath is hard, especially when you've used to have the Phoenix force under your command and thus not have to use so much telepathy. Poor Rachel. I don't think she can turn it off now. Weird though to see Storm KISS Gambit (yeah you read that right) but maybe it won't be explored. I HOPE!!!

So...there you are!

301 to 350 of 371 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Gamer Life / Comics / Countdown to Marvel Comics Secret Empire ...or! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.