The Monkey's Treefort


Off-Topic Discussions

17,001 to 17,050 of 18,179 << first < prev | 336 | 337 | 338 | 339 | 340 | 341 | 342 | 343 | 344 | 345 | 346 | next > last >>

Shhhh....it's sleeping.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ .....RRRRRRRRRUMBLE

Silver Crusade

Why do I always get sick leading up to show openings?


Nerves? I used to always get sick within the first week of starting a new job.

Shadow Lodge

Thomas Seitz wrote:
I know some people love this warmer weather, but honestly I'm ready to go back to winter now. 78 is WAY too hot for me in February.

I am one of those people! It has been LOVELY here, 60s to mid 70s all the past week and a half or so. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, before it gets cold again.


Orthos wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:
I know some people love this warmer weather, but honestly I'm ready to go back to winter now. 78 is WAY too hot for me in February.
I am one of those people! It has been LOVELY here, 60s to mid 70s all the past week and a half or so. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, before it gets cold again.

Like tonight?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Fortunately now I can wear pants instead of jean shorts...


Oh yes please, do wear pants!

Oh,... instead of shorts,... um, nevermind.

<_< >_> -_-


Is anyone else having challenges with these forums? I had one instance where I couldn't see about half the posts in a thread, but that was right after goblins ate the site. When I shut down my browser and re-opened it, the posts were there. That's understandable.

But RSS is always messed up. I've had games that haven't been updated in ages pop up with new RSS flags, but no new posts. This thread is always showing 6 or 10 updates, but when I click on the latest update, it's a post I already read. Maybe it's my RSS, but I was wondering if anybody else is having RSS issues here.

Shadow Lodge

John Napier 698 wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:
I know some people love this warmer weather, but honestly I'm ready to go back to winter now. 78 is WAY too hot for me in February.
I am one of those people! It has been LOVELY here, 60s to mid 70s all the past week and a half or so. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, before it gets cold again.
Like tonight?

Last night was not particularly cold here in TN. Never got below 60.


Cold and rainy here in Pittsburgh.


Treppa wrote:

Is anyone else having challenges with these forums? I had one instance where I couldn't see about half the posts in a thread, but that was right after goblins ate the site. When I shut down my browser and re-opened it, the posts were there. That's understandable.

But RSS is always messed up. I've had games that haven't been updated in ages pop up with new RSS flags, but no new posts. This thread is always showing 6 or 10 updates, but when I click on the latest update, it's a post I already read. Maybe it's my RSS, but I was wondering if anybody else is having RSS issues here.

No, but then I'm not been on much recently. :P

I should probably check my remaining threads, I did use to have the problem where posts WERE being added to my threads, but I wasn't seeing any notifications. :/ Maybe thats happening again?


Yesterday we got nearly 3 inches of rain. It stopped overnight but now more rain with thunderstorms is on the way and it's supposed to keep raining until Saturday night.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Getting back to the usual warm-ish Spring temps here in southern Lousy-anna, (high 60's at night, low 80's during day)

And with all the rain sweeping by and through, I'll soon have to start mowing my yard again! :P


John,

Cold and rainy here too though apparently we're supposed to get warmer tomorrow. We'll see.


Well, Morgantown isn't too far from Pittsburgh, so we usually get the same weather. A warm tomorrow sounds nice, though.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We'll see John.

Right now I'm okay with dreary since it suits February fine in my book...


Ragadolf wrote:
Treppa wrote:

Is anyone else having challenges with these forums? I had one instance where I couldn't see about half the posts in a thread, but that was right after goblins ate the site. When I shut down my browser and re-opened it, the posts were there. That's understandable.

But RSS is always messed up. I've had games that haven't been updated in ages pop up with new RSS flags, but no new posts. This thread is always showing 6 or 10 updates, but when I click on the latest update, it's a post I already read. Maybe it's my RSS, but I was wondering if anybody else is having RSS issues here.

No, but then I'm not been on much recently. :P

I should probably check my remaining threads, I did use to have the problem where posts WERE being added to my threads, but I wasn't seeing any notifications. :/ Maybe thats happening again?

Man, I dunno. I do know that I read everything last night, then this morning, RSS showed 8 new messages. There were no new messages. After I posted yesterday, Paizo forum showed one new post - mine. I thought it was smart enough to know that we were the one that had posted and not show it.

Eh, no big. I'll just turn off RSS.


Patrick Curtin wrote:
No worries. I’m caught out by this becoming a full-on brawl. It’ll take me a bit to cogitate the particulars

Lately my table top PCs have either been crushing battles or avoiding them all together outkicking my coverage (i.e. what I have prepped for a given session).

My last session for that campaign is next Friday!

3 1/2 years bringing these characters to 18th level mainly wandering about Waterdeep in the Realms.

The new Campaign is centered on Zhentil Keep where they are the Zhents, first time I've ever run an evil table top campaign :-)


Treppa wrote:
Ragadolf wrote:
Treppa wrote:

Is anyone else having challenges with these forums? I had one instance where I couldn't see about half the posts in a thread, but that was right after goblins ate the site. When I shut down my browser and re-opened it, the posts were there. That's understandable.

But RSS is always messed up. I've had games that haven't been updated in ages pop up with new RSS flags, but no new posts. This thread is always showing 6 or 10 updates, but when I click on the latest update, it's a post I already read. Maybe it's my RSS, but I was wondering if anybody else is having RSS issues here.

No, but then I'm not been on much recently. :P

I should probably check my remaining threads, I did use to have the problem where posts WERE being added to my threads, but I wasn't seeing any notifications. :/ Maybe thats happening again?

Man, I dunno. I do know that I read everything last night, then this morning, RSS showed 8 new messages. There were no new messages. After I posted yesterday, Paizo forum showed one new post - mine. I thought it was smart enough to know that we were the one that had posted and not show it.

Eh, no big. I'll just turn off RSS.

The one glitch I DO see is my own posts reporting as new. That never used to happen, now it happens all the time. If that's the worst I have to deal with no biggie. The site being inaccessible is simply not fun :-(


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

The own last posts reporting as new is a known recent bug. Speaking of bugs, anybody got a "cure disease" potion they don't need?


Uh oh. Sounds like another flu victim!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

I dunno about flu. Sore throat, stuffy head, yeah.


If there's no fever, then it's just a cold.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Yeah.


The scales at my cardiologist's office say I weigh 8 pounds less than my general practioner's scales. So yeah, I'm going with the first one. And going by those scales I have lost 17 lbs in 6 weeks. I can dig it.


*sits here slightly sweating* So John how this heat wave for you?


Not bad for almost Spring.


Yup, looks like Spring may be coming early to Arkansas tonight and tomorrow. Tornadic weather is forecast for tomorrow. Here that means the first real signs of spring. o_O


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Be careful, Cal.


Thanks, John. My group still wants to get together tomorrow night, even the ones who have to drive 2.5 hours from different cities to be here. That's my crew; diehard gamers until the end.


So sick 14 year old cancels gaming group. Sad...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Heh, I don't miss tornado season in Tulsa town. ;P

Got so used to them as a kid, I would just sleep through them.
(Although, like most kids, I COULD sleep through anything) :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
So sick 14 year old cancels gaming group. Sad...

Very sorry to hear this, Thomas.


Ragadolf wrote:

Heh, I don't miss tornado season in Tulsa town. ;P

Got so used to them as a kid, I would just sleep through them.
(Although, like most kids, I COULD sleep through anything) :)

You slept through them? Whaaaaaaat? I was terrified of them. Until I was 9, we lived in a slab house with a tiny crawlspace, so that's where we jammed ourselves during serious tornado activities. But it meant rolling the rotisserie cart out of the utility room to get to the hatch, so most times we just huddled in the middle of the house.

long, boring set of tornado stories:

When I was little, a raft of tornadoes wandered through the area. They started out west at school dismissal time, hit a school as the kids were boarding buses, then proceeded east into the suburbs at rush hour, trashing high schools, neighborhoods, crowded intersections where drivers had no place to go, a skating rink filled with kids, etc. It was pitch black in the middle of the afternoon, and police cars were driving through our neighborhood blaring "seek shelter now" messages, so we jammed into the crawl space and hid for an hour or two - a very long hour or two. The tornado passed north of us and through Oak Lawn, where my Dad's school was, but he was already home by that time.

A day or two later, my parents took me with them on a drive to see the damage. It was horrifying.

A couple of decades later, my sister complained that she had never been camping, so we took a trip to Wisconsin to see Taliesin and House on the Rock and camp out. The first day, we drove up into the vast, green, rolling countryside of that gorgeous state. A storm was gathering, so it was cloudy and gusty. As we neared a small town, I noticed weird red and green sculptures up on the hills with weeds grown up around them. They looked like somebody had taken a giant piece of red or green paper, crumpled it up, and tossed it onto the hillside. Then we crested a hill and looked down into the town - it was a mass of slabs with some new construction. We found the post office -- a trailer sitting on a slab -- so Dad could ask directions (couldn't identify anything as a gas station). Everyone was jumpy and frightened and kept staring at the sky with its ominous swirling clouds. He got directions to the campground, we pitched tents, and spent the night hoping the tent didn't tear apart as it whoofed in and out in the changing pressure. And the lightning, did I mention the lightning? It rained hard enough that the creek nearby rose into the tent. My sister and I spent some time perched on our piled-up air mattresses to keep out of the water, then gave up and ran for the car and slept there. We packed up and went home the next day, and that was our trip to Barneveld, WI, which had been well-nigh destroyed the year before. The sculptures on the hills were the John Deere and Allis-Chalmers farm equipment that the tornado had tossed around for grins.

I have no clue how you could sleep through them. We drove through Oklahoma one stormy afternoon with funnel clouds forming all around and occasionally touching down off in the distance while we pushed the speed limit (along with everyone else on the highway in that flat and featureless plain). I vowed that day never to live in Oklahoma.

For about 30 years, I had nightmares about tornadoes during times of stress. Not only were they deadly and terrifying, they also were specifically after me. They had a general idea of where I was, so I could run and hide, but they'd tear up everything around trying to find me. I'd wake shaking, not only terrified, but also ashamed that I let the tornadoes tear up other people's lives because I was too cowardly to show myself and let them have me.

I am shaking just typing this. Slept through them? Dude, you are pure nerve.

Oh! I do have a funny tornado story. The Wabash County courthouse was destroyed by a tornado years back (like a century or so). This contained all the county records, naturally, so those were scattered for miles across the countryside. People scoured fields and woods and brought back everything they could to the courthouse, where the clerks worked to reestablish the files in a temporary wooden courthouse they threw up. They didn't find everything, but the whole damned county worked hard to put the records back together.

Next year, the temporary courthouse burned down.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

We were camping outside of Barneveld when it was completely destroyed.


captain yesterday wrote:
We were camping outside of Barneveld when it was completely destroyed.

Holy s!@!, I cannot imagine that. Did you know that something like 1/3 of the town's population was hurt or killed?


DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:
So sick 14 year old cancels gaming group. Sad...
Very sorry to hear this, Thomas.

Well the plus side is the dual 6 year old party was decent. I only had to stick around for an hour. :) Balloon popping...unnerves me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, that bugs me, too.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

I wouldn't mind balloon popping, except that I'm too old to go diving under the table.


I'm not ready to dive under anything today, tomorrow or even in 2018.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

In 1969, when I returned from Vietnam, I drove up to Ithaca NY to visit some friends at Cornell. It was the sixth of July. I got to town about 9 PM. I was driving down State Street, my back to the campus, completely unaware that the Fourth of July fireworks show had been delayed due to rain. When the first burst of fireworks went off, I went around the corner. On the sidewalk. Scared the crap out of me. :-)


Ed Reppert wrote:
In 1969, when I returned from Vietnam, I drove up to Ithaca NY to visit some friends at Cornell. It was the sixth of July. I got to town about 9 PM. I was driving down State Street, my back to the campus, completely unaware that the Fourth of July fireworks show had been delayed due to rain. When the first burst of fireworks went off, I went around the corner. On the sidewalk. Scared the crap out of me. :-)

Thank you for serving!!!


Treppa wrote:
Ragadolf wrote:

Heh, I don't miss tornado season in Tulsa town. ;P

Got so used to them as a kid, I would just sleep through them.
(Although, like most kids, I COULD sleep through anything) :)

You slept through them? Whaaaaaaat? I was terrified of them. Until I was 9, we lived in a slab house with a tiny crawlspace, so that's where we jammed ourselves during serious tornado activities. But it meant rolling the rotisserie cart out of the utility room to get to the hatch, so most times we just huddled in the middle of the house.

** spoiler omitted **...

Heh, I have a couple of stories, not sure they are as good as those though,

Spoiler:

Lets see,

-You want nerve? I lived in a TRAILER PARK for a couple of years. In the middle of Tulsa. You know what Oklahomans call trailer parks? Tornando Magnets. ;P
EDIT- Funny bit- the WEEK after we sold our trailer and moved to the house mentioned below, the entire trailer park was destroyed by a tornado. The trailers that survived had all their services shut off, so it was terrible, you could SMELL the trailer park from 1 mile down the road. Upwind. :P

-When I was in grade school we bought our first house, as opposed to renting, we had no good 'central' space (central closet or bathroom) so we would go to the middle hallway, and dad would take the mattress off the beds, and use it as an extra barricade between us and the front of the house, (we had a room behind us for protection from that side) and another matress on the floor, as I would sleep. yes, I knew my mother was worried, but I couldn't understand why she wasn't sleeping on the mattress instead of sitting up looking around. ;P

-usually tornadoes would pass us by completely, but one did hop, skip and jump through our neighborhood. Our block was fine, the next one, not as much. :( That is the closest I have ever (knowingly) been to a tornado. Although I do recall hearing them pass by (I could hear them roaring overhead) a few times.

-By far the closest call was one my dad was in. It was maybe 9pm, dad was at work (auto parts store) and the radio said there was a tornado spotted. The location was very close to dad. They looked out the front door and saw it. They debated running for the cars and driving away, or diving for cover. They chose dive for cover. Good thing too, as it was moving fast. If they had run it would have hit them in the parking lot. Instead they dove under the main counter, but dads leg was sticking out, when the building collapsed he was fine, but his leg was injured. Pretty amazing, as I saw the building after, and it was cinder block rubble. (They build those auto part store counters heavy-duty) :)

Yes, I saw so many tornadoes that I slept through them, which scares my wife, As opposed to hurricanes, which scare me! ;P


My nerves got more and more frayed the more close calls we had. That last spring and summer in the Midwest, we spent more time in the basement than out. I had no problem getting out of there to the high plains.

Here in Denver, they've had a tornado - one - about an hour away and it was on the news forever. It sat and spun in the middle of a farm field in East Jesus, so all the TV stations sent crews out to park on the nearest road, set up cameras, and have talking heads saying "Yep, that's a tornado behind me!" We former Tornado Alley residents were laughing.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Cape cod had one tornado in the last 35 years. It was during a hurricane so I’m not sure if that counts. The hurricanes are what we had to watch for. Even there we’ve been very lucky. The last major strike was Bob in 91. Every hurricane since has basically just been bad weather.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just got back from a tabletop game. My god I had forgotten the crazy shenanigans eight middle-aged nerds can get up to when clearing a dungeon. My bard explored his vicious mockery cantrip, insulting a water weird by calling it a sad excuse for a dihydrogen monoxide molecule and speculating on its mother’s origins in a toilet bowl.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Aw man, my friends surprised me with a trip to a VR parlor for my birthday tonight. It was awesome! I had a blast shooting down space drones and even got high score. One of my friends didn't like it and the other ended up falling, so they didn't have the best time, but I enjoyed it, and that's what is important!


"Hurricane Bob" doesn't have a real fearsome cachet.


On the topic of "extreme" weather, I've had a few close calls with tornadoes (you tend to when you grow up in Southern Illinois). The closest would have to be the afternoon one jumped over our little podunk town. My Mom, brother, and I stood at the top of the basement steps, ready to for cover, while my Dad went out in the front yard (it was one of those kinda odd tornadoes where there wasn't any rain and very few clouds), and watched it go by about 1/4 mile away. But we had several that just missed the town, staying out in the corn and bean fields, and a few that hit neighboring towns. I wasn't too worried, though, unless I could actually hear the tornado. Then I moved to Florida (big mistake for several reasons), and got to sit through a couple of hurricanes. The first one really freaked me out. At first, it wasn't bad, just like one of the big thunderstorms I'd been through so many times in Illinois. But those a generally over fairly quick, they tend to move too fast. This one just kept going. And going. And going. It seemed like it would never stop. Add in that I was alone for the first time in the house that normally had 3 other adults and assorted children in it, and was reading the Zombie Survival Guide, so I eventually freaked out enough to call my Dad. He was visiting, and staying in a nearby hotel. He drove over, took me back to the hotel, and I stayed there for the night. The next couple were still a little unnerving because it just feels like they're never going to end, but I handled them better. It was funny when one of them spawned a tornado in Jacksonville and that was all that anyone would talk about for like a week. I saw the footage and thought "Eh. It's a little baby twister. It didn't hardly do anything. Look at all the damage the hurricane did!" But everyone was used to hurricanes, while tornadoes were exciting and new!

Basically, it all comes down to what you are used to.

17,001 to 17,050 of 18,179 << first < prev | 336 | 337 | 338 | 339 | 340 | 341 | 342 | 343 | 344 | 345 | 346 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / The Monkey's Treefort All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.