Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017


Television

251 to 274 of 274 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm not thrilled with the new look of the Klingons. Aside from that it looked decent. Do we know if it's episodic in nature or if it's serialized like most shows nowadays? That could be the biggest change from previous Trek.


JoelF847 wrote:
Do we know if it's episodic in nature or if it's serialized like most shows nowadays? That could be the biggest change from previous Trek.

The wiki says:

Quote:
Star Trek: Discovery is set to debut on CBS with a two-part premiere in "fall" 2017, before moving to All Access. The first season will consist of 15 episodes.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

That doesn't really answer though if it's one big story, or if most episodes are standalone.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

JoelF847 wrote:
That doesn't really answer though if it's one big story, or if most episodes are standalone.

It's going to need to be serialized. Remember, it is the hook for CBS's All Access service. They will need views to want the next episode.

DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I'm actually pretty jazzed about it being a prequel. The more the different series advanced it seemed nothing was impossible, even time travel became no problem. And the way Janeway and the Voyager crew totally emasculated the Federation's greatest threat, the Borg, was a total waste of time for me.

I don't agree. Making this a prequel was a mistake in my opinion.

Here are a couple of reasons:

  • Miniskirts: At the time (the late 1960s), the miniskirt was both fashionable, and seen as a symbol of liberation, but it is not seen so now. If the series runs too long, the uniform will need to change to the mini-dress of The Original Series for continuity purposes.
  • Klingons: The Klingons of this setting should look human. Once again, this is a limitation of The Original Series. At the time this wasn't seen as a problem; nowadays, it is rightly seen as a racist caricature.
  • Aliens: The series would also need to be careful not to introduce too many new species into Starfleet. Spock was rare, the only non-human on the Enterprise. Populating the ship with non-humans makes sense later in the timeline, but this would be too soon.
If you are going to ignore these factors, then why bother calling it Star Trek?

Dark Archive Vendor - Fantasiapelit Tampere

This would make so much more sense to be a sequel series to the movies rather than the old tv show. Following the "Kelvin Timeline" would explain all those three points above.

Also, I really like how this looks. Uniforms looks great, Michelle Yeoh is always a pleasure and I actually kinda like the new Klingon look. Can't say surely about the ship yet- design looks ok, but the interiors could use a more color.

Sovereign Court

"Lord Fyre wrote:

If you are going to ignore these factors, then why bother calling it Star Trek?

They didn't; Its called Star Trek Discovery.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lord Fyre wrote:


DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I'm actually pretty jazzed about it being a prequel. The more the different series advanced it seemed nothing was impossible, even time travel became no problem. And the way Janeway and the Voyager crew totally emasculated the Federation's greatest threat, the Borg, was a total waste of time for me.

I don't agree. Making this a prequel was a mistake in my opinion.

Here are a couple of reasons:

  • Miniskirts: At the time (the late 1960s), the miniskirt was both fashionable, and seen as a symbol of liberation, but it is not seen so now. If the series runs too long, the uniform will need to change to the mini-dress of The Original Series for continuity purposes.
  • Klingons: The Klingons of this setting should look human. Once again, this is a limitation of The Original Series. At the time this wasn't seen as a problem; nowadays, it is rightly seen as a racist caricature.
  • Aliens: The series would also need to be careful not to introduce too many new species into Starfleet. Spock was rare, the only non-human on the Enterprise. Populating the ship with non-humans makes sense later in the timeline, but this would be too soon.
If you are going to ignore these factors, then why bother calling it Star Trek?

Well, I'd point our that Star Trek: enterprise was a prequel and they successfully dealt with all three of those issues ...

In fact, within Star Trek cannon, I guess this new series is actually a sequel to Star Trek: Enterprise and then a prequel to the Kirk era original Star Trek


I really don't like the changes they made for the sake of "artistic license". I'm really big on Trek canon and Star Fleet history (I know it's fiction but I dig it). The uniforms are wrong for the period and I hate hate hate the new Klingon look and their uniforms. They look like something from some bad 80s sci fi movie.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I really don't like the changes they made for the sake of "artistic license". I'm really big on Trek canon and Star Fleet history (I know it's fiction but I dig it). The uniforms are wrong for the period and I hate hate hate the new Klingon look and their uniforms. They look like something from some bad 80s sci fi movie.

I tend to agree, especially with the bizarre and inexplicable new Klingon look. Plus, I wasn't all that impressed with the trailer

Plus, I'm still irked that they want to force folks to pay for this new channel in order to see the series past the premier.

I am a HUGE Star Trek fan, but I'm not at all excited about this

Sovereign Court

I hear ya. I hope CBS all access has a free trial. I'll probably just binge the series (if I like it enough) and never sub up.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I really don't like the changes they made for the sake of "artistic license". I'm really big on Trek canon and Star Fleet history (I know it's fiction but I dig it). The uniforms are wrong for the period and I hate hate hate the new Klingon look and their uniforms. They look like something from some bad 80s sci fi movie.

And ... setting the series Post-Dominion war neatly addresses most of my objections (though I am not thrilled with the Klingon look).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Paramount isn't going to undermine their rebooted movie franchise by setting a new TV show in the "old" post-Kelvin timeline. But they still want old school Trekkers to tune in. That leaves them with few options in the timeline to try and please both sides.

I'm not saying I agree with their decision (I hate the rebooted Trek idea), but that's probably their logic.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber Subscriber
Dominar Rygel XVI wrote:
Wow, this looks pretty damn good. (first trailer)

I'll have to watch this again but my first reaction was... meh.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Callous Jack wrote:
Dominar Rygel XVI wrote:
Wow, this looks pretty damn good. (first trailer)
I'll have to watch this again but my first reaction was... meh.

I've been hearing constant disappointing and bad news about this show since it was first announced, so the trailer reassured me that I don't think it'll be terrible. The Klingon redesign doesn't bother me at all, and I'm super-psyched to see Michelle Yeoh and Sonequa Martin-Green in big roles.

Sovereign Court

Star Trek (TV) has never been something you can accurately represent in a trailer. I was bummed when I heard the new time period/storyline per season idea was a rumor. I was bummed when I heard they were, yet again, going back to pre-kirk. Though the trailer at least makes the series look great, so who knows? Cant knock it until I rock it.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber

Why is everyone (you know who you are) obsessed that everything in the new series must be as close to the original as possible just because it happens close to that time period?

First, TOS was the springboard from which all the rest came. This is a new era. Let it be its own show, not a retread. Be happy that we get new stuff after 50 years.

Second, TOS was done on a shoe-string budget. The uniforms were made from the cheapest materials available that would look good on color TV (which was just becoming widely available to every household at the time).

Third, the alien makeup was done on the cheap. Almost all aliens were humanoid and made using body paint and wigs. The few exceptions include the Gorn, Tellerites and Horta. Rating them, I would give the Gorn a 3.5, the Tellerites a 2 and the Horta a 4, just because it was not humanoid (even though it was essentially a big rug).


Marc Radle wrote:
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I really don't like the changes they made for the sake of "artistic license". I'm really big on Trek canon and Star Fleet history (I know it's fiction but I dig it). The uniforms are wrong for the period and I hate hate hate the new Klingon look and their uniforms. They look like something from some bad 80s sci fi movie.

I tend to agree, especially with the bizarre and inexplicable new Klingon look. Plus, I wasn't all that impressed with the trailer

Plus, I'm still irked that they want to force folks to pay for this new channel in order to see the series past the premier.

I am a HUGE Star Trek fan, but I'm not at all excited about this

I know what you mean. I'll definitely watch the two part premier when they broadcast it on CBS, but doubt it could possibly be so awesome that I'll subscribe to anything.

Not to get grognard-ey, but I assume HUGE fans such as yourselves have seen Star Trek Continues? Episode 2, "Lolani" really blew me away.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I love Star Trek Continues. There are only 3 episodes left before they shut it down, and that makes me sad. They've done such an excellent job of recreating the original show, even getting writers and actors from TOS to make appearances, as well as cameos by other modern actors who wanted to be a part of it.

And even with my being a really huge Trek fan, I won't get to watch the premier because I don't have cable or satellite television (just a Roku and things like Netflix). Maybe it'll be on Hulu, but with the advent of their CBS All Access streaming channel I doubt they'll put it on that channel. And I'm not going to subscribe to All Access just to watch one show, so I doubt I get to see it all. Which doesn't bother me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I love Star Trek Continues. There are only 3 episodes left before they shut it down, and that makes me sad. They've done such an excellent job of recreating the original show, even getting writers and actors from TOS to make appearances, as well as cameos by other modern actors who wanted to be a part of it.

This is the first I'd heard that they're shutting it down; now I'm upset, and a vulcan lecture about logic won't calm my nerves, Mr. Spock!

@ Charles Scholz: It's not that everything must be as close to the original series as possible. Its just that I know what the Starfleet uniforms from that period look like, and the costume design team working on Star Trek Discovery either doesn't know or doesn't care. That's not necessarily a deal breaker for me, but it's no deal maker either.


Quote:
That doesn't really answer though if it's one big story, or if most episodes are standalone.

It's one big story. The producers were pretty consistent on that, that the series introduces a mystery in the first episode and a continuing story that explores that mystery right up to the end of the season (although there may be scope for a few stand-alone-ish episodes here and there) and potentially lead into a second season. That was Bryan Fuller's plan and, although he left before the show really got going, that is the plan they're still following.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Fox's new series, "Orville", looks more interesting to me than this. And I'm not a Seth McFarlane fan.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Fox's new series, "Orville", looks more interesting to me than this. And I'm not a Seth McFarlane fan.

The other day I happened to tune into Galaxyquest right as it started, and I ended up watching the whole movie while I was supposed to be mowing the lawn or whatever. Galaxyquest is a strange, strange movie: it's a parody and a pastiche, which somehow manages to respect the fans while portraying fans as hyper-emotional squid aliens or high school nerds who take a cancelled TV show way too seriously. It's also maybe the most emotionally genuine "Star Trek" movie I've even seen in my entire life. Orville seems like it's going to capture the same spirit. Parody but not exploitation, I guess?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

@hitdice I know McFarland is a huge Trek fan. I think he even had a few tiny roles on one of the series earlier in his career. I think you have the right of it.

Anyone else notice the obvious B5 reference too?


Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

B5 reference? I missed it.

251 to 274 of 274 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Gamer Life / Television / New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Television

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.