Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Star Wars Rebels


Television

751 to 800 of 811 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Wowed by this well done General Grievous cosplay.

Scarab Sages

baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Wowed by this well done General Grievous cosplay.

Most impressive.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

What could possibly go wrong?


Hitdice wrote:

My dissatisfaction with sensing 'a plot to destroy the Jedi" is more a script problem than a Jedi problem; it's just specific enough to undermine Windu as a Jedi Master, but not specific enough that he ever figures out who's doing the plotting. If the line had been, "I sense great danger approaching," I'd be fine with it. If Obi Wan had sensed a planet blowing up instead of a great disturbance in the Force back in ANH, I'd have the same complaint.

The prequel trilogy felt very pro forma to me, whereas Rogue One didn't. At this point I've got a certain set of expectations for the viewing a Star Wars movie, and about half way through Rogue One, I realized I was far more emotionally invested than I expected to be going in, and that continued until the end, when I found myself more scared of Darth Vader than I had been in decades.

I don't have a problem with lost Jedi, but at some point the Rebels script writers are have to deal with the fact that Darth Vader never looks at the Emperor and says, "Oh, by the way, my Master, there are also these two other guys with lightsabers and Force powers I've fought on multiple occasions over the last four or five years." I'm not saying they can't make it work, but they'll have to account for it.

Don't think they haven't. Reportedly, they've already told every one of the cast members the fate of their respective characters.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SAMAS wrote:
Hitdice wrote:

My dissatisfaction with sensing 'a plot to destroy the Jedi" is more a script problem than a Jedi problem; it's just specific enough to undermine Windu as a Jedi Master, but not specific enough that he ever figures out who's doing the plotting. If the line had been, "I sense great danger approaching," I'd be fine with it. If Obi Wan had sensed a planet blowing up instead of a great disturbance in the Force back in ANH, I'd have the same complaint.

The prequel trilogy felt very pro forma to me, whereas Rogue One didn't. At this point I've got a certain set of expectations for the viewing a Star Wars movie, and about half way through Rogue One, I realized I was far more emotionally invested than I expected to be going in, and that continued until the end, when I found myself more scared of Darth Vader than I had been in decades.

I don't have a problem with lost Jedi, but at some point the Rebels script writers are have to deal with the fact that Darth Vader never looks at the Emperor and says, "Oh, by the way, my Master, there are also these two other guys with lightsabers and Force powers I've fought on multiple occasions over the last four or five years." I'm not saying they can't make it work, but they'll have to account for it.

Don't think they haven't. Reportedly, they've already told every one of the cast members the fate of their respective characters.

please God, no ideon.


Hm, so, well . . .

Now I want a Mandalore-centric sequel series.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If Baron manages to pop in I'm sure he knows, but in the new GoT styled Court Intrigue Mandalorian civ, is the supreme leader still The Mandalore? Have any of the other novels or anything in the new canon referenced Mandalore post Empire and what sort of policital structure they have in Sequel Trilogy times.

I know Sabine kind of bluntly rejects the idea that *SHE* should be The Mandalore, but I totally think that by the end of it all she'll be their ruler/leader/clanlord. It would be kinda sweet if in the ST we see a visit to Mandalore for Rei to get to see the Darksaber wielded by an aged Sabine Wren.


Freehold DM wrote:
SAMAS wrote:
Hitdice wrote:

My dissatisfaction with sensing 'a plot to destroy the Jedi" is more a script problem than a Jedi problem; it's just specific enough to undermine Windu as a Jedi Master, but not specific enough that he ever figures out who's doing the plotting. If the line had been, "I sense great danger approaching," I'd be fine with it. If Obi Wan had sensed a planet blowing up instead of a great disturbance in the Force back in ANH, I'd have the same complaint.

The prequel trilogy felt very pro forma to me, whereas Rogue One didn't. At this point I've got a certain set of expectations for the viewing a Star Wars movie, and about half way through Rogue One, I realized I was far more emotionally invested than I expected to be going in, and that continued until the end, when I found myself more scared of Darth Vader than I had been in decades.

I don't have a problem with lost Jedi, but at some point the Rebels script writers are have to deal with the fact that Darth Vader never looks at the Emperor and says, "Oh, by the way, my Master, there are also these two other guys with lightsabers and Force powers I've fought on multiple occasions over the last four or five years." I'm not saying they can't make it work, but they'll have to account for it.

Don't think they haven't. Reportedly, they've already told every one of the cast members the fate of their respective characters.

please God, no ideon.

Well, we know at least three of them make it to 0 BBY.

Scarab Sages

Things don't look great for Callas going forward.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Oh, they look great for *Him*, just bad for everyone he's unintentionally feeding bad intel to. I would imagine that channel will end up being how they discover Chopper Base, complete with Kallus falling on the sword to save Phoenix Squadron.


I have a feeling that, considering Thrawn's extreme attention to detail, he will have noticed the planet being replaced on his map, which means the heroes inadvertently told him exactly where their base is.

Dark Archive

Season 4 confirmed

Dark Archive

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Things that I noticed and loved in the Through Imperial Eyes episode.

Colonel Wullf Yularen plays the Dr. Watson archetype to Grand Admiral Thrawn's Sherlock Holmes in this episode, but I realize he also fills another role, he is also playing the Captain Pellaeon role from the novels. I love that.

While it has been confirmed elsewhere that Thrawn's Star Destroyer is named Chimaera, as it was in the novels, this episode makes it Canon.

The scene with the named mid level officers from earlier episodes who were outsmarted by the Ghost crew, this establishes continuity.

The override code Thrawn gives to his security droids is "Rukh," which is the name of his Noghri bodyguard in the novels.

The lizard like artwork on his wall are supposed to represent the ysalamiri, creatures that 'could push back The Force', also from the novels.

Kalshane wrote:
I have a feeling that, considering Thrawn's extreme attention to detail, he will have noticed the planet being replaced on his map, which means the heroes inadvertently told him exactly where their base is.

I was also thinking this exactly.

But this alone is not what gives Kallus away.

Grand Admiral Thrawn recognizes the artwork on Ezra's helmet as Sabine's. Kallus would have recognized this as well but kept this information to himself. Kallus has therefore been outed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

GOLD LEADER/SQUADRON Y-WINGS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


archmagi1 wrote:

If Baron manages to pop in I'm sure he knows, but in the new GoT styled Court Intrigue Mandalorian civ, is the supreme leader still The Mandalore? Have any of the other novels or anything in the new canon referenced Mandalore post Empire and what sort of policital structure they have in Sequel Trilogy times.

I believe this was in the old Marvel Star Wars comics, but there they had Empire-era Mandalore ruled by an Imperial governor who was a Kalee, one of General Grievous' people. He was also a sadist and a bloodthirsty tyrant who ended up bejabbered by Luke after he became a Jedi Knight.


baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Kalshane wrote:
I have a feeling that, considering Thrawn's extreme attention to detail, he will have noticed the planet being replaced on his map, which means the heroes inadvertently told him exactly where their base is.

I was also thinking this exactly.

But this alone is not what gives Kallus away.

Grand Admiral Thrawn recognizes the artwork on Ezra's helmet as Sabine's. Kallus would have recognized this as well but kept this information to himself. Kallus has therefore been outed.

Right. I caught why he knew Kallus was the spy. I was just saying that even their apparent "victory" in the episode (replacing the planet containing Chopper Base on Thrawn's map) will likely give Thrawn exactly what he needs to find them instead.

Though there was no mention or hint of that in this week's episode, so I guess we'll have to see.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
GOLD LEADER/SQUADRON Y-WINGS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

As I was watching the episode, I was thinking, "Ezra's flying a Y-wing; this is probably the best moment of Freehold's life, bar none." ;)


Hitdice wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
GOLD LEADER/SQUADRON Y-WINGS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
As I was watching the episode, I was thinking, "Ezra's flying a Y-wing; this is probably the best moment of Freehold's life, bar none." ;)

no.

The best moment of my life will be when I fly one.

Also, the charging up of the ion cannon seems to be canon now...


baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Werthead wrote:
The original trilogy was retconned even within itself. Vader was not meant to be Luke's father until ESB, Leia was not meant to be his sister until RotJ and the Emperor was never even supposed to appear until Lucas nuked his plans for Eps 7-9 and completely changed the plot of Ep 6.

Well actually here there is proof that George Lucas had some forethought.

In the movie, screenplay and novelization of The Empire Strikes Back, as Luke departs Dagobah, Yoda reminds Obi-Wan's Force Spirit, 'There is Another.'

Not so much forethought. The original Star Wars was produced with the idea that it would most likely be a oneoff production.

The line you're thinking of reflects Lucas' strategy in writing the later movies, mainly give himself outs in case one or more of the leads of the film was not going to be available for the next film as the bulk of them were not under contract to do any sequels. "There is Another" is a safety clause in case Mark Hamill dropped out of the series, possibly even Carrie Fisher as well, as you might note that Yoda is not specifically referring to Leia, although the audience is led to believe that she is who he's hinting at.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Hitdice wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
GOLD LEADER/SQUADRON Y-WINGS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
As I was watching the episode, I was thinking, "Ezra's flying a Y-wing; this is probably the best moment of Freehold's life, bar none." ;)

no.

The best moment of my life will be when I fly one.

Also, the charging up of the ion cannon seems to be canon now...

Fine, dude, "the best moment of Freehold's Life so far." That better?


This season IMHO is the best season. The "bad guy" isn't a force wielder, but is still hella dangerous.

Also, I think Kallus is gonna sacrifice himself...

Dark Archive

Season Finale


Worst. Episode. Ever.


baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Season Finale

Even if this was the most boring episode ever, it would be light years above this week's monstrosity.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I didn't really like the episode either. But it was a mixed resolution to Maul.

Spoiler:
I'm still at odd whether he was struck by Kenobi or whether he was nearly dead from consumption and when Kenobi axed his saber it was all he could take before the elements got him. I mean it was high block low block center strike. Unless that center blow cleaved mauls head, then it was his quest for vengeance that killed him rather than Kenobi. Which is thematically fitting.


archmagi1 wrote:

I didn't really like the episode either. But it was a mixed resolution to Maul.

** spoiler omitted **

This episode cast a bad pall on the entire series for me. And this is me talking.

Scarab Sages

Oh? I really liked it. Ezra was an impulsive idiot, but he's been doing that since the beginning. The rest felt very strong to me.

Archmagi1:

The blow that cleaved Maul's saber also cut through Maul's chest and torso. Not enough to bisect him but enough to kill. The smoke that is coming up during Maul's last words is from his clothes and body.


Freehold DM wrote:
archmagi1 wrote:

I didn't really like the episode either. But it was a mixed resolution to Maul.

** spoiler omitted **

This episode cast a bad pall on the entire series for me. And this is me talking.

You and I must have watched entirely different episodes, Freehold. Maul went out as he should have. My only real disappointments are 1) I don't think Ezra will retain the lessons he should have learned here, and 2) he will likely (again) face no punishment for his self-centered myopic behaviors.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Net gain: lost a training a wing, brought back a suped up sith starfighter.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
archmagi1 wrote:

I didn't really like the episode either. But it was a mixed resolution to Maul.

** spoiler omitted **

This episode cast a bad pall on the entire series for me. And this is me talking.
You and I must have watched entirely different episodes, Freehold. Maul went out as he should have. My only real disappointments are 1) I don't think Ezra will retain the lessons he should have learned here, and 2) he will likely (again) face no punishment for his self-centered myopic behaviors.

Spoiler:
I can't believe we disagree here.

Star wars is NOT an iaido type series.

Maul went out like he came in. Forgettable. No, worse- like a battle droid.

There are a THOUSAND things that could have been gone to make that fight even slightly more interesting. But no, the scourge of an amazing season finale and thorn in the side of the main characters simply bounces off his life long rival, the man he was resurrected to fight 1.5 times like a fly on a windshield. It was insulting to the character and to the audience both. A truly ugly case of the rampant fabboyism plaguing the writing room of many shows.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Freehold:
I think they never should have brought back Maul in the Clone Wars series, and the whole "Savage Oppress" story arc was underwhelming at best.

But nope. Maul went out like he should have. He had a single crowning moment of greatness defeating Qui-Gon. Everything else about his entire story arc has been a tragic lesson in the the pitfalls of the Dark Side. He was conscripted at a young age, and brutally conditioned to become the ultimate hate-fueled Sith warrior. After his defeat by Kenobi, he was casually cast aside by his masters; we later see with Vader that Palpatine had the means to rebuild Maul, but couldn't be bothered. He subsequently loses his only brother and is defeated again. He resurfaces again in Rebels, even more obsessed with power as a means to revenge on everyone he feels slighted him. Just as his rage and obsession are consuming his soul & mind, his wounds and advancing age are consuming his body. When Maul confronts Kenobi for the final time, he demonstrates he has progressed no further in his Force training, still reliant on anger to carry him to victory. Kenobi, however, has learned: greater patience, tactical thinking, and this new "kendo" lightsaber style (very similar to what he'll later use in A New Hope).

Maul serves the story better not by going out as a bad-ass warrior, not by one last elaborate scheme, but by being a tragic warning of what befalls those corrupted by hate and the Dark Side.


I didn't mind the whole, fight is over before it begins, thing. However, did Disney HAVE to build this episode up so much based on that one thing? That's really what frustrated me.


Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Excellent points and I agree. Still disappointed that the fight scene was not at least a bit more drawn out for the reason that GM Niles stated above. Why hype it when the confrontation lasts all of 90 second at the very end of the Episode? If anything it would have been better to NOT announce it and have the shock of the confrontation take place as a surprise (inasmuch as surprises take place with the internet and all).

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Class Deck Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

That doesn't increase ratings.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
That doesn't increase ratings.

Fair point but it could decrease ratings if it pisses people off enough :-)

It won't stop me from watching but I can't speak for anyone else. Then again I only watch 6 shows or so on TV (the Paizo boards consume too much of my life to watch more!) so its not like a bad 30 minutes episode will dissuade me from tuning in next time.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

My opinion on that duel:

They've done 4+ fights of Maul vs. Kenobi throughout the various Clone Wars episodes. They've done the acrobatic, drawn-out battles. They've done anything I could think of that would have been the alternative to the duel that just happened. That duel was perfect; it was a direct callback to the Kirosawa films that Star Wars is based on. Its a more personal duel because the two of them fight out in their minds before their blades even clash. Watch the fifteen seconds or so before they close as they posture and try to guess the other person's moves. In the end, its a perfect resolution because every move means something- the stances, the sword swings, the expressions. It might just be three moves, but they all are purposeful moves. In the end, you have a swift resolution because that's what the narrative demands; Obi Wan ends the fight quickly because he has to. He doesn't do it with flourish or acrobatics, he's an old man with a purpose who isn't going to take any chances with jeopardizing Luke's future.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
beautifully put. I'm glad you saw that here. I'm sure that's what the writers were going for. But I did not see this in the slightest. If possible,I would have you direct the episode- I think you would pull this off far better. The way things happened here, there was a lot of scenery and time killing to get to the final "epic" duel that instead played out like the studio was running out of money and had to be wrapped up quickly.

Maybe I've been watching too much gundam.

Good point on the change in fighting style.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Storyteller Shadow wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Excellent points and I agree. Still disappointed that the fight scene was not at least a bit more drawn out for the reason that GM Niles stated above. Why hype it when the confrontation lasts all of 90 second at the very end of the Episode? If anything it would have been better to NOT announce it and have the shock of the confrontation take place as a surprise (inasmuch as surprises take place with the internet and all).

good point.


Given Obi Wan's long soulful considered glance at the Lars homestead on Tatooine, I totally hope Lil Luke Skywalker doesn't show up for a cameo next season.

Grand Lodge

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Class Deck Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
Rakshaka wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

I'm reminded of the quote "Never get in a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I personally loved it.

Spoiler:
As Ambrosia and Rakshaka said we've seen this all before, many times, between them. We finally got something different. And it tells us a lot about where Obi-Wan and Maul were as people at the time of this clash.

I didn't catch it in the episode, but the producers said the attack Maul makes is the same one he used to kill Qui-gon. The entire point is Kenobi has learned from his past and transcended it, while Maul has been chained to it since Naboo.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Another thing I would say about the duel:

Spoiler:
We knew going in what the end result was going to be. Obi-Wan had to survive because of the movies and Darth Maul running away after finally tracking Kenobi down after decades of pursuit would have seemed horribly out-of-character for him. (And if he did we'd just to have to repeat this scenario again somehow.) That left us with the only thing we didn't know being the how. And the how took me by surprise, but really worked well, in my opinion. I also thought Maul's final words and Kenobi showing compassion to his life-long rival said volumes about both characters.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

That comes back to another Star Wars inspiration: Spaghetti Westerns. Ever seen two gunslingers duel? It's pretty much all buildup, then suddenly it's over in a second.


SAMAS wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **
That comes back to another Star Wars inspiration: Spaghetti Westerns. Ever seen two gunslingers duel? It's pretty much all buildup, then suddenly it's over in a second.

That, and two Samurai having a duel in the street.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just 24 hours until the season finale. My excitement level has been tempered by that last episode,but I am still looking forward to it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
SAMAS wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **
That comes back to another Star Wars inspiration: Spaghetti Westerns. Ever seen two gunslingers duel? It's pretty much all buildup, then suddenly it's over in a second.
That, and two Samurai having a duel in the street.

Right. And I think Maul set that tone for the duel when he "unsheathed" his lightsaber by yanking off the walking stick portion and tossing it aside.


Exactly. That plus the aggressive move of extinguishing the campfire with his lightsaber.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Imperial Recruitment poster, Disclaimer: Those that know how to aim need not apply. :)

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I didn't like the finale overall. It wasn't bad per se but it just didn't live up to last seasons or really much of this season. What I did like though is Bendu going all druid magic on EVERYBODY. There just seemed to be too much storyboarding and too little content, things like Gov Price just idly watching the rebels escape (or her unworried response to the mandalorians in general) just seemed like the writers were off this week.

Though... Price could be power playing against Thrawn when Tarkin gets the mission report.


I really enjoyed this week's episode. May re-watch last week's episode before bed to see if I change my mind about it.

751 to 800 of 811 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Gamer Life / Television / Star Wars Rebels All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.