Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Funniest PFS moments?


Roleplaying Guild General Discussion

551 to 573 of 573 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
The Exchange ****

RSX Raver wrote:
Serisan wrote:

The one in the spell that entirely too many people forget:

Fireball wrote:
If you attempt to send the bead through a narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must "hit" the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier and detonates prematurely.
So many people do not know that rule exists.

This would mean that the person casting the spell, has not (fully) read/understood the spell description - right? I mean that "obscure rule" is part of the spell write-up...

Kind of like rolling 12d6 as a 12th level Wizard for the damage of a fireball spell... (Damage caps at 10d6).

Grand Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

It honestly almost never comes up.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Da Wander wrote:
RSX Raver wrote:
Serisan wrote:

The one in the spell that entirely too many people forget:

Fireball wrote:
If you attempt to send the bead through a narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must "hit" the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier and detonates prematurely.
So many people do not know that rule exists.

This would mean that the person casting the spell, has not (fully) read/understood the spell description - right? I mean that "obscure rule" is part of the spell write-up...

Kind of like rolling 12d6 as a 12th level Wizard for the damage of a fireball spell... (Damage caps at 10d6).

People also tend to ignore or not read the final paragraph of the spell description, which talks about setting fire to combustibles, melting things like gold and breaking through barriers (like doors).

It is a sadly common occurrence that people fail to read complete spell descriptions.

Dark Archive **

Pathfinder PFS RPG Subscriber
Lemford wrote:
Quentin Coldwater wrote:
It was a mess.
It was GLORIOUS.

It was all sorts of messed up, in the right way though!

My ratfolk investigator is more or less the babysitter who has no chance what so ever when it comes to keeping this band in check. She's forced to stand there, witness mayhem and then clean it up. She even has profession Blood Spatter Analyst so she can tell the band-members who's responsible for what injury and thus who was more impressive in a fight.

That said, even she had her moments of.. insanity. At some point she closed the door of the library by slamming it shut in the face of an impatient enemy and said: 'Please be quiet, I'm trying to read a book here'. Mind you, the band was rehearsing there at the same time. Loudly.

I do hope we'll continue this madness.

The Exchange ****

RSX Raver wrote:
Da Wander wrote:
RSX Raver wrote:
Serisan wrote:

The one in the spell that entirely too many people forget:

Fireball wrote:
If you attempt to send the bead through a narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must "hit" the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier and detonates prematurely.
So many people do not know that rule exists.

This would mean that the person casting the spell, has not (fully) read/understood the spell description - right? I mean that "obscure rule" is part of the spell write-up...

Kind of like rolling 12d6 as a 12th level Wizard for the damage of a fireball spell... (Damage caps at 10d6).

People also tend to ignore or not read the final paragraph of the spell description, which talks about setting fire to combustibles, melting things like gold and breaking through barriers (like doors).

It is a sadly common occurrence that people fail to read complete spell descriptions.

yeah. It's a common occurrence that people fail to read the entire rule on a lot of things... like shooting at a Large creature engaged in melee. It's amazing how many people don't read the second paragraph of the shooting into a melee rules... (and then insist that "2 squares away is only 5' in this case, though it is 10' in all others").

I just find it kind of funny that the "obscure rule" is often actually the rule being used - just not being used fully. The first half of the rule is common knowledge and used, but the second paragraph (sentence, or sometimes even the second part of the same sentence) is counted as an "obscure rule".

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
Da Wander wrote:
RSX Raver wrote:
Da Wander wrote:
RSX Raver wrote:
Serisan wrote:

The one in the spell that entirely too many people forget:

Fireball wrote:
If you attempt to send the bead through a narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must "hit" the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier and detonates prematurely.
So many people do not know that rule exists.

This would mean that the person casting the spell, has not (fully) read/understood the spell description - right? I mean that "obscure rule" is part of the spell write-up...

Kind of like rolling 12d6 as a 12th level Wizard for the damage of a fireball spell... (Damage caps at 10d6).

People also tend to ignore or not read the final paragraph of the spell description, which talks about setting fire to combustibles, melting things like gold and breaking through barriers (like doors).

It is a sadly common occurrence that people fail to read complete spell descriptions.

yeah. It's a common occurrence that people fail to read the entire rule on a lot of things... like shooting at a Large creature engaged in melee. It's amazing how many people don't read the second paragraph of the shooting into a melee rules... (and then insist that "2 squares away is only 5' in this case, though it is 10' in all others").

I just find it kind of funny that the "obscure rule" is often actually the rule being used - just not being used fully. The first half of the rule is common knowledge and used, but the second paragraph (sentence, or sometimes even the second part of the same sentence) is counted as an "obscure rule".

Shooting into melee rules are one of the worst about people only reading the first paragraph and ignoring the rest. I have had to point out to a couple 5 star GMs that, no if the nearest ally is at least 10' away then there is no penalty.

My favorite part of that is when they ask you where you are getting that rule and the response is in the rules for X action.

The Exchange ****

yeah, lots of fun.

But then when the rule is shown to them, there are some judges who have one of two responses...

a) "2 squares away is only 5 feet"

b) "that rule has been/will be changed so that it no longer applies."

Shadow Lodge ***

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Waay back when Season 1 was the new cool thing.

1st round: Shoot my Bow at one of two BBEGs. I crit.

I roll 10, 10, 9 on damage.

Me: That's 38 points of damage (16 Str).

GM: He's dead.

Other Player(horrified): That was my Prestige point!

Me: Oops.

Liberty's Edge ***

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Had a game recently that I was playing my barbarian. The rest of the party had managed to bluff their way into a fort with no apparent problem, so while they were all talking and negotiating (boring!), he heads up to a ballista tower with three guys manning it. We start talking ballistae and how I'd always wanted to shoot one. One of them, a guy named Fred apparently, started giving me a run-down on how to fire one, the different types, etc. He was writing a report on them!

Then fight breaks out downstairs. I bull rush the others off the tower and say to Fred "Got nothing against you. Stay outta the fight, maybe you'll make Captain!" Next round, Fred loads the ballista and I shoot at the commander of the garrison outside. Got like a 3 on the d20.. used my reroll for a nat 20 and crit.

Few rounds later, the party's leaving, and I wave bye to Commander Fred, who was already using the previous commander for menial labor. Kept the broken bits of the ballista bolt I'd fired to remember him by. ;)

Silver Crusade ***

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Quentin Coldwater wrote:

Not sure if this fits better here or in the "you know you're in trouble when..." thread, but:

For a low-level module we all made new characters. Two independently had the idea of making a Skald. A third player joined in, then decided we should all be Halflings and be a travelling band. One player joins in as a Slayer, one player has a Demon Eidolon, and the last is a Ratfolk Investigator playing the manager of the band who's at his wit's end. We called ourselves the Beat-Alls and we stacked three different kinds of songs (vanilla Skald, Wyrm Singer, Urban Skald going to DEX). Once we all got our songs going, things got scary. One Skald was TWF-ing with a Weighted Spear, one was playing a Ledford clone, and one was acting as the party tank.
When we arrived in town, we started at the bakery and things went downhill from there. We fought a lot among ourselves (big egos, short tempers), one got possessed by purple goop, and the Demon Eidolon was played as barely having any restraint and almost fighting his own master. It was a mess.

Sounds like the band members' personalities were turned up to 11.

Silver Crusade ***

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kerney wrote:

Waay back when Season 1 was the new cool thing.

1st round: Shoot my Bow at one of two BBEGs. I crit.

I roll 10, 10, 9 on damage.

Me: That's 38 points of damage (16 Str).

GM: He's dead.

Other Player(horrified): That was my Prestige point!

Me: Oops.

Something similar happened back around season 3.

It was a low level adventure with mostly level 1 PCs. It was my first time playing Seamus Luckleaf, halfling cleric of "Lady Luck" ("Tha's th' godd'ss Desna t' mos' folks"), with the Luck domain. He insists that he's no good at the fisticuffs, but he'll make everyone else in the party very lucky.

So we're walking through the forest, when someone snipes at us from a tree. Roll initiative. Seamus slaps the gunslinger on the back and says "Go get 'im" (Luck domain power, so he can roll twice and use the better roll). Gunslinger crits for 4d12 or whatever, easily driving the level 1 enemy down below their negative con score. The GM gives a description of the gunslinger shooting directly into the enemy's eye socket and blowing his brains out.

We get up close to examine the body and realize that it's the contact the gunslinger was supposed to meet for his faction mission. Apparently, the adventure wanted you to yell to the person to stop attacking, and try to make peace, but murderhobos will be murderhobos. So the gunslinger just shot his own prestige point to death.

As soon as the GM tells us that, I respond in character, "See? Ah told ya Desna'd bring ya luck!"

****

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Fromper wrote:
Kerney wrote:

Waay back when Season 1 was the new cool thing.

1st round: Shoot my Bow at one of two BBEGs. I crit.

I roll 10, 10, 9 on damage.

Me: That's 38 points of damage (16 Str).

GM: He's dead.

Other Player(horrified): That was my Prestige point!

Me: Oops.

Something similar happened back around season 3.

It was a low level adventure with mostly level 1 PCs. It was my first time playing Seamus Luckleaf, halfling cleric of "Lady Luck" ("Tha's th' godd'ss Desna t' mos' folks"), with the Luck domain. He insists that he's no good at the fisticuffs, but he'll make everyone else in the party very lucky.

So we're walking through the forest, when someone snipes at us from a tree. Roll initiative. Seamus slaps the gunslinger on the back and says "Go get 'im" (Luck domain power, so he can roll twice and use the better roll). Gunslinger crits for 4d12 or whatever, easily driving the level 1 enemy down below their negative con score. The GM gives a description of the gunslinger shooting directly into the enemy's eye socket and blowing his brains out.

We get up close to examine the body and realize that it's the contact the gunslinger was supposed to meet for his faction mission. Apparently, the adventure wanted you to yell to the person to stop attacking, and try to make peace, but murderhobos will be murderhobos. So the gunslinger just shot his own prestige point to death.

As soon as the GM tells us that, I respond in character, "See? Ah told ya Desna'd bring ya luck!"

Not sure what else the writer expected to have happen. Without a compelling reason otherwise, most adventurers respond to lethal force with lethal force unless they have a really convenient alternative like cause blindness or hold person ready to go.

Scarab Sages ****

RealAlchemy wrote:
Fromper wrote:
Kerney wrote:

Waay back when Season 1 was the new cool thing.

1st round: Shoot my Bow at one of two BBEGs. I crit.

I roll 10, 10, 9 on damage.

Me: That's 38 points of damage (16 Str).

GM: He's dead.

Other Player(horrified): That was my Prestige point!

Me: Oops.

Something similar happened back around season 3.

It was a low level adventure with mostly level 1 PCs. It was my first time playing Seamus Luckleaf, halfling cleric of "Lady Luck" ("Tha's th' godd'ss Desna t' mos' folks"), with the Luck domain. He insists that he's no good at the fisticuffs, but he'll make everyone else in the party very lucky.

So we're walking through the forest, when someone snipes at us from a tree. Roll initiative. Seamus slaps the gunslinger on the back and says "Go get 'im" (Luck domain power, so he can roll twice and use the better roll). Gunslinger crits for 4d12 or whatever, easily driving the level 1 enemy down below their negative con score. The GM gives a description of the gunslinger shooting directly into the enemy's eye socket and blowing his brains out.

We get up close to examine the body and realize that it's the contact the gunslinger was supposed to meet for his faction mission. Apparently, the adventure wanted you to yell to the person to stop attacking, and try to make peace, but murderhobos will be murderhobos. So the gunslinger just shot his own prestige point to death.

As soon as the GM tells us that, I respond in character, "See? Ah told ya Desna'd bring ya luck!"

Not sure what else the writer expected to have happen. Without a compelling reason otherwise, most adventurers respond to lethal force with lethal force unless they have a really convenient alternative like cause blindness or hold person ready to go.

Heck, when I played that scenario, our judge required us to say which 5 foot square we were looking for the sniper in - one move action per Perception check (opposed by the snipers Stealth skill - if she happened to be in the square we were looking at). There's a bunch of squares on that forest map! So while spending rounds looking for the sniper in 2 squares each round (with distance modifiers of -1 per 10 foot distance), we talked to her...

Link to a thread I posted after that game...Why-do-DMs-still-use-the-3-5-Search-rules..

Shadow Lodge *****

...designer's intent? *ducks*

Scarab Sages ****

TOZ wrote:
...designer's intent? *ducks*

I didn't notice any water fowl around? Guess I missed my Perception there...

****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

After the briefing for Tome of Righteous Repose, when the party was asking questions :

"Did you say the Knights of Awesome? How awesome are they? That sounds like a group I want to be a part of!"

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Agent aka Upaynao

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Overheard yesterday during our delve into Hrethnar's Throne:

Spoiler:
"No! You are not getting your brain eaten on my watch!"
-Alaxor Higgenstrom, on the wisdom of looking into a rift in reality

Candi Payne, Bloodrager /Tavern Owner: "We're just going to leave this evil cleric here. If she happens to get eaten, no big deal."
Herodotus Vanatir Krezla, Paladin/Party Pooper: "NO. NO. NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT"
Moonbeast: "Don't worry! Not only am I an eternal guardian, I'm also a coat check!"
Anmu, Oracle and Master of Sarcasm: "Yeah, you'd come back and she'd be wearable."

Shadow Lodge ****

First level life oracle has a lifelink on janria. She drops, the lifelink kicks on, she wakes up. Starts singing.

"your possum style is terrible, grasshopper."

Grand Lodge **

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Irony on Easter Weekend-
Playing t3-4 Pallid Plague, a lvl 2 Halfling Sorcerer goes down and ultimately killed by a near max damage 2d6 Negative Channel.
Afterwards, myself [playing a 3 Gunslinger/Warpriest, who should have prioritized healing the lower level character], another 3rd lvl character, and the Sorcerer player divvy up prestige to revive him.
Only to get an email the next day from the LVA, that as per season 8- we can't divvy up Prestige to revive characters.
Then i remembered, the Retailer Incentive Program! I spend $20, the GM himself spent $40- i contacted said LVA about this oversight and asked him to look into it- as this means the character would have survived, just barely.
Met up with player last thrusday, and he commented the irony of the situation:
"I'm dead. :( I'm alive! Oh, I'm dead. :( I'm alive?!"

Sovereign Court * Venture-Agent, Canada—Ontario—Toronto aka crashcanuck

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Selvaxri wrote:

Irony on Easter Weekend-

Playing t3-4 Pallid Plague, a lvl 2 Halfling Sorcerer goes down and ultimately killed by a near max damage 2d6 Negative Channel.
Afterwards, myself [playing a 3 Gunslinger/Warpriest, who should have prioritized healing the lower level character], another 3rd lvl character, and the Sorcerer player divvy up prestige to revive him.
Only to get an email the next day from the LVA, that as per season 8- we can't divvy up Prestige to revive characters.
Then i remembered, the Retailer Incentive Program! I spend $20, the GM himself spent $40- i contacted said LVA about this oversight and asked him to look into it- as this means the character would have survived, just barely.
Met up with player last thrusday, and he commented the irony of the situation:
"I'm dead. :( I'm alive! Oh, I'm dead. :( I'm alive?!"

Schrodinger's PC?

Dark Archive *

2 people marked this as a favorite.

You know those situations where there's an illusion, everyone KNOWS it's an illusion, but nobody can make their will saves even with the bonus for being told it's an illusion?

Well, I can't remember which scenario it was exactly. But the party encountered a statue. Now, this statue was an illusion. This quickly became rather obvious. Heck, one of the magic users used Detect Magic nd informed us it felt like illusion magic. And yet, none of us could make the will save. Now, the non-existent statue was blocking a door. And it looked too heavy to move. So naturally the idea came about to destroy the statue.

The barbarian takes a swing, and accidentally hits the door, chipping it. But fails the new will save granted by interacting with the statue. So my kineticist tosses an elemental blast at the statue. I fail MY will save, and accidentally hit a party member on the other side of the "statue". Thankfully the damage is very low. But since nobody could see through the illusion, we came to the conclusion of "Oh gods, the statue is ANIMATED!" Cue the party going into combat rounds against a statue that isn't actually there.

Eventually someone did destroy the door, quite by accident. And we did eventually see through the illusion. But until that happened the party was in a life or death battle with an illusionary statue... and losing.

*****

Kahel Stormbender wrote:

Well, I can't remember which scenario it was exactly. But the party encountered a statue. Now, this statue was an illusion. This quickly became rather obvious.

CRB wrote:
a character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw.

Dark Archive *

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The problem was that NOBODY was making the save. Thus our characters were fully convinced there was a statue. While we knew there was an illusion of some sort, the party came to the conclusion (in character) that the illusion was hiding what we were fighting. Or maybe hiding any damage to the very dangerous statue. Oh sure, as players we all knew what was going on. But nobody was using that knowledge to meta-game. It was bloody hilarious. Then again, I find that so far anytime there's an illusion involved things quickly devolve into a 3 stooges routine as people fail their saves and react accordingly.

Obvious to the players isn't always the same as obvious to the characters.

551 to 573 of 573 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society® / Roleplaying Guild / General Discussion / Funniest PFS moments? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.