Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

The Barbarian Tank re-visited...


Advice

1 to 50 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

23 people marked this as a favorite.

The build in its entirety as well as additional options and some level-by-level stats and bonuses can be found here.

Some time back I put up a Barbarian build I had been working on it recieved a warm response, so now that I've finished tweaking it and put it up on Google Docs I wanted to repost the build and explain some of the choices that were made.

First off, the concept is that of a tank, one that can withstand immeasurable punishment and survive pretty much any encounter as well as present enough of a threat that foes would be a fool to ignore him (after all, they don't know how invulnerable he is, eh?). It starts off with a level of Unbreakable Fighter and then goes Barbarian the next 19 levels, following the paired archetypes of Urban Barbarian and Invulnerable Rager. Now the key to any sort of tank character is layered defenses - in this case we'll be going with a moderate to high armor class, high hit points, very high saves and ridiculously high damage resistance. It is with this last 'layer' that the character concept was initially born.

Normally Barbarians get Damage Resistance but at such a meager rate that its really an afterthought. The Invulnerable Rager however gains DR much more quickly (1 point per 2 levels) - but even that is only moderate protection from the dangers out there. To that established base, we take the following feats and rage powers:

Endurance and Diehard which are granted for free by the level of Unbreakable Fighter and are nice little feats to have in and of themselves - more importantly though, they serve as pre-requisites for Stalwart and eventually Improved Stalwart which allows you to use Combat Expertise to increase your DR and specifically states that it stacks with the DR a Barbarian already gains. Now we're getting somewhere.

One slight drawback though - Combat Expertise imposes an attack penalty when it is used, one which is substantial enough on its own, but really begins to hurt when stacking with that imposed by Power Attack which no Barbarian in his right mind would be caught without... there is a repreive though - the Rage Power Reckless Abandon grants an attack bonus at just about the same rate Combat Expertise levies its penalty... but it does so at a cost of reducing your armor class and for this particular Barbarian we don't want to do that. Fortunately, the Rage Power Beast Totem grants an AC bonus at the same rate Reckless Abandon reduces it. So, to sum up:

Endurance, Diehard and Combat Expertise gets you Stalwart which then gets you Improved Stalwart for a penalty to accuracy. Reckless Abandon removes that accuracy penalty in reurn for an AC penalty and Beast Totem removes the AC penalty resulting in up to an additional 10/- DR at no cost to you. Got it? Good, cuz I don't want to have to type it all up again.

Going the Beast Totem route actually works out nicely because Lesser Beast Totem allows you to manifest claws which gives you a nice option when using a reach weapon as Tanks are advised to do and Greater Beast Totem grants you the Pounce ability which should be on every martial's wish list. Of course using a reach weapon begs the feat Combat Reflexes which in turn nicely compliments the notorious Rage Power Come and Get Me. It really all comes together nicely...

Anyway, back to layered defenses. Now that we've got our DR jacked up high enough to be able to shrug off most threats, let's address saving throws against magic, especially that of the 'save or suck' variety. Obviously Superstition is our #1 choice here, especially with the Human favored class option which turbo-charges it. At 7th level (for instance) that results in an additional +5 saves vs. spells and spell-like abilities, and by level 13 that bonus is +9. At 20th level without a single magic item, this build boasts +27 to Fortitude saves, +20 to Reflex saves and +24 to Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities. That's even more impressive than the Damage Resistance.

I think its pretty obvious why I went with the Invulnerable Rager archetype, but why Urban Barbarian? I mean, isn't Fast Movement the bomb? Of course it is, but the Urban Barbarian is a woefully under-utilized option in my opinion and here's why:

First off, you get the standard Rage as an option that you can always use. But - again in my opinion - the standard Rage is a vastly inferior option to Focused Rage. The bonus hit points you recieve from a standard Rage is really kind of a fool's gold as they wear off the moment your Rage ends, and moreover you suffer a -2 AC when Raging which only serves to siphon those phantom hit points off all the quicker. The only real reason to Rage is to gain a bonus to Strength which Focused Rage gives you without the AC penalty. But it gets better - you can also choose to use that Rage to improve your Dexterity (which dovetails nicely with Deadly Aim to give your character a credible ranged threat as well as boosts to Initiative, AC and Reflex saves) or even Constitution in the event that you really NEED temporary hit points or perhaps a bump to your Fortitude saves. In addition, it eventually combines well with Auspicious Mark, allowing you to burn a couple of rounds of Rage to add a nice bonus (1d6+3) to any number of crucial skill checks.

Also, the oft-maligned Crowd Control actually compliments Desperate Battler early on to make you a more effective front-line combatant.

A few points about some of the other Feats and Rage Powers selected:

Guarded Life and Greater Guarded Life might seem a bit redundant given that you already have Diehard and won't be suffering the hit point crash most other Barbarians do... but here's the thing: The DR that you recieve from being an Invulnerable Rager is actually doubled against non-lethal damage, and Greater Guarded Life lets you transform lethal damage into non-lethal damage (an amount equal to twice your Barbarian level) if it would bring you below zero. That means that at level 15 when you first take the feat, you can have somewhere between DR 30/- and 44/- against damage that would take you below zero. Talk about some heroic stands with that.

Auspicious Mark - an under-rated Rage Power, especially when you consider that you can use it combined with skill checks and the versatility of Focused Rage.

Deadly Aim - I believe that every martial should have at least some sort of ranged ability and Deadly Aim combines nicely with Reckless Abandon and Focused Rage to give you just that. For those who prefer a melee-only type build, I have an alternate option shown at the bottom of the document.

Witch Hunter - At the level you take it the Rage Power grants a +5 bonus to damage against creatures capable of casting spells or possessing spell-like abilities. At that level pretty much everything fits that description so it seems like a no-brainer for me.

A quick word or two about Traits. Since you will be using Combat Expertise pretty much every round of melee combat, the Threatening Defender trait seems like a no-brainer - its essentially giving you a +1 attack bonus right off the bat. Auspicious Tattoo on the other hand might seem a bit redundant with Superstition and the Barbarian class feature Indomitable Will. I took it because my OCD demands my Will and Reflex saves be the same but any number of options would be good here.

Finally, what about out of combat? well, this character will be gaining 7 skill ranks per level (4 from class, 2 from Intelligence and 1 from being Human) which is a good bit more than most martials find themselves with, and apart from Charisma has strong attributes across the board to compliment those skills.

So here we have a character with good AC, good hit points, tremendous saves and tremendous damage resistance as well as posing a serious threat in melee and a solid threat at range. He's versatile both in and out of combat and - if you'll notice - we haven't said a word about magic items yet. That's because I never pre-plan magic items when cobbling together a character build... I consider them a seperate entity that no player or character should ever have to rely on to be effective. Some options stand out though, such as a Ring of Freedom of Movement for instance - and I will say that when you get into the subtleties of Come and Get Me it would be wise to have both a reach weapon and a non-reach weapon available to you - my guy carries a Bardiche and wears an Earthbreaker strapped across his back with the claws he manifests as his fallback option.

Any questions or comments are of course welcome.

Sovereign Court

Pretty impressive! What are you going to call him?


I have a tank barbarian (not to the depth of yours). I like your analysis. It gives some things to mull over.

Dark Archive

So far, my Dwarven Tank Barbarian is going splendidly (though I admit I have only gotten to play him in one combat so far).

I think it's mostly that I've never played a Barbarian before, but I'm thoroughly enjoying myself!


your "melee intimidation build" seems a tad oddly named, it doesn't start being intimidate-y until 13th, and then 19th., also, gotta ask whats up with all the skill focuses (intimidate i can understand for the build, perception's okay, but survival?)

Dark Archive

He's getting them for free from the Focused Study alternate Human racial trait. And I suppose he figured Survival would be nifty to have. Finding food/water, tracking, etc.

I do agree that it takes way too long to come online as an intimidate build, but it's not a bad start.


Seranov wrote:

He's getting them for free from the Focused Study alternate Human racial trait. And I suppose he figured Survival would be nifty to have. Finding food/water, tracking, etc.

I do agree that it takes way too long to come online as an intimidate build, but it's not a bad start.

That's exactly right - any time I make a human character who is going to want a skill focus, I go ahead and take Focused Study to get three instead.

The alternate build option is not one I would use if my goal was to build an Intimidate-based character - I have a couple others who make better use of that mechanic (a Paladin and a Dragon Disciple), but if someone was interested in this build but not particularly desiring a ranged component, the Intimidate ability is a nice option to have. I probably shouldn't have included it at all, but it was something I was toying around with on the same document, so I left it there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Reynard_the_fox wrote:
Pretty impressive! What are you going to call him?

Well, the character's name is either Magnar or Molgrim - he's designed for a Skull and Shackles campaign, but if you mean some sort of official title to name the build itself... never occurred to me. I just have a set of about a dozen character builds that I really like and this is one of them.


Ciaran Barnes wrote:
I have a tank barbarian (not to the depth of yours). I like your analysis. It gives some things to mull over.

Thanks. For what its worth, both the feats and the rage powers taken at 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th levels could really be switched around depending on play-style. All that really matters is that everything is in place for Improved Stalwart at 11th level, and then the selections after that are pretty much locked in.

The build really takes off at 11th level - that's when your DR makes its biggest jump and its the same level that you get Pounce. After that its pretty smooth sailing.


Id like to see a good armored hulk build, maybe combined with mobile fighter? or two weapon warrior?


Here's my DR version of your idea. I use Crane style in place of Combat Expertise and focus on pumping DR with Stalwart/Bolstered Resilience.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2p1n8?LF-Advice-on-my-DRBarian


GrandReaper wrote:

Here's my DR version of your idea. I use Crane style in place of Combat Expertise and focus on pumping DR with Stalwart/Bolstered Resilience.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2p1n8?LF-Advice-on-my-DRBarian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Crane Style is only good against 1 attack per round, right - and it uses up your immediate/swift action every round you use it. And Bolstered Resilience is really limited when it comes to how often it can be used... the fact that it makes you Fatigued means that when you come down off your Rage you are Exhausted instead. Ouch.

Dark Archive

Crane WING is the feat that is only good against a single attack and eats up your immediate/swift. Crane Style is a swift to put up, and then it stays on the rest of the combat... or at least I think that's how it works.


Crane Style sets fighting defensively to -2/+3.
Crane Wing let's you veto 1 attack per round for free (it's not an action).
Crane Riposte reduces the attack penalty for fighting defensively by 1 and allows you to make an AoO when you use Crane Veto.

Then there is the Cautious Fighter halfing racial feat, which gives you +2 dodge bonus when fighting defensively.

There is also a Trait which reduces the penalty for Combat Expertise by 1.


KutuluKultist wrote:

Crane Style sets fighting defensively to -2/+3.

Crane Wing let's you veto 1 attack per round for free (it's not an action).
Crane Riposte reduces the attack penalty for fighting defensively by 1 and allows you to make an AoO when you use Crane Veto.

Then there is the Cautious Fighter halfing racial feat, which gives you +2 dodge bonus when fighting defensively.

There is also a Trait which reduces the penalty for Combat Expertise by 1.

that would be Threatening Defender


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just a thought, what about the Dragon Totem Rage powers in UC. If you took them at Barbarian levels 6,8 & 10 you add an additional DR 6.


stuart haffenden wrote:
Just a thought, what about the Dragon Totem Rage powers in UC. If you took them at Barbarian levels 6,8 & 10 you add an additional DR 6.

I'm pretty sure that the DR provided by Dragon totem is only against a particular type of ernergy... and you have to take a LOT of rage Powers to get it.


KutuluKultist wrote:

Crane Style sets fighting defensively to -2/+3.

Crane Wing let's you veto 1 attack per round for free (it's not an action).
Crane Riposte reduces the attack penalty for fighting defensively by 1 and allows you to make an AoO when you use Crane Veto.

Then there is the Cautious Fighter halfing racial feat, which gives you +2 dodge bonus when fighting defensively.

There is also a Trait which reduces the penalty for Combat Expertise by 1.

Yeah, I was confusing it with Snake Style.

Correct me if I'm wrong but fighting defensively is considered a standard action, correct? Meaning you only get a single attack per round (not counting AoO's)?

I know the Crane line is solid but it doesn't seem like the proper choice for a raging Barbarian with Pounce. When you already have massive DR, I'm not sure if being able to deflect one attack per round at the cost of all your iteratives is worth it.

I have Threatening Defender in the build already... but I don't think it would apply to fighting defensively - and of course I would still have to find a way to take Dodge and Unarmed Strike as pre-requisites - what four or five feats would I be able to give up?

Crane Style is appropriately notorious for the things it can do in some builds, but not this one I don't think.


No strength surge, spell sunder, or eater of magic?

I think you'll get a lot more out of thoset than some of the other powers you have mentioned. Since you can get an extra rage power with a feat I'd say any of those three are better than deadly aim.

With the amount of damage reduction you are going for, I think I would drop combat expertise.

Just my take but I'd work those three rage powers I mentioned into your build anyway I could.

Dark Archive

You need Combat Expertise to benefit from Stalwart/Improved Stalwart's DR, otherwise you're stuck fighting defensively.

I am pretty sure you can fight defensively as a full round action, allowing you iteratives, but it's still more painful at low levels than using Combat Expertise or Crane Style.


sunbeam wrote:

No strength surge, spell sunder, or eater of magic?

I think you'll get a lot more out of thoset than some of the other powers you have mentioned. Since you can get an extra rage power with a feat I'd say any of those three are better than deadly aim.

With the amount of damage reduction you are going for, I think I would drop combat expertise.

Just my take but I'd work those three rage powers I mentioned into your build anyway I could.

Combat Expertise is what you need to use Stalwart and Improved Stalwart which is where 10 of your DR comes from.

Deadly Aim you get fairly early on and it makes you a credible ranged threat, stacking with the ability to increase your Dexterity rather than your Strength with Focused Rage. Nothing worse than sitting there relatively useless when foes are at range.

I think that Strength Surge is a very real option and one that should be considered - it could actually be easily substituted for Deadly Aim if a player was indifferent to his ranged combat ability. Combined with Spell Sunder it could certainly turn the tide of a battle from time to time... If I were to select them it would be in lieu of the level 17 and 19 Increased DR's choices as everything else is balanced pretty neatly and moving one or two things early on collapses the timing of the entire build. Still, some might consider that a very fair trade off.

I think Eater of Magic is over-rated, particularly for this build. You only get the temporary hit points if someone casts a spell at you and if you fail your saving throw once and then make it a second time... its just too situational, especially for a character who doesn't need temporary hit points and doesn't plan on failing too many saving throws.


Seranov wrote:

You need Combat Expertise to benefit from Stalwart/Improved Stalwart's DR, otherwise you're stuck fighting defensively.

I am pretty sure you can fight defensively as a full round action, allowing you iteratives, but it's still more painful at low levels than using Combat Expertise or Crane Style.

There seems to be some confusion on this as I've seen it interpreted different ways.

This is where I got the standard action requirement from:

Fighting Defensively as a Standard Action
You can choose to fight defensively when attacking. If you do so, you take a –4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 to AC until the start of your next turn.

...but that's the only place I've seen that referenced that way. Some clarification would be good, I think.

Dark Archive

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html wrote:

Full Attack

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough (see Base Attack Bonus in Classes), because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon, or for some special reason, you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. You do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning the later ones.

The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.

If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first. If you are using a double weapon, you can strike with either part of the weapon first.

Deciding between an Attack or a Full Attack: After your first attack, you can decide to take a move action instead of making your remaining attacks, depending on how the first attack turns out and assuming you have not already taken a move action this round. If you've already taken a 5-foot step, you can't use your move action to move any distance, but you could still use a different kind of move action.

Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action: You can choose to fight defensively when taking a full-attack action. If you do so, you take a –4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for until the start your next turn.


Damocles Guile wrote:


I think Eater of Magic is over-rated, particularly for this build. You only get the temporary hit points if someone casts a spell at you and if you fail your saving throw once and then make it a second time... its just too situational, especially for a character who doesn't need temporary hit points and doesn't plan on failing too many saving throws.

This is how I think of Eater of Magic.

[BBEG] "I've tried everything! He shrugs off every spell as if I were casting Daze on a 10th level Paladin! Wait, I know!"

"I wish he would fail his next saving throw!"

[BBEG] Casts Flesh to Stone.

"At last, spell after spell! At least the idiot will never know what I had to go through to get that one to.. uh.. that didn't work did it?"

[Canine the Ballbearing] Shakes head.


Seranov wrote:
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html wrote:

Full Attack

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough (see Base Attack Bonus in Classes), because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon, or for some special reason, you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. You do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning the later ones.

The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.

If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first. If you are using a double weapon, you can strike with either part of the weapon first.

Deciding between an Attack or a Full Attack: After your first attack, you can decide to take a move action instead of making your remaining attacks, depending on how the first attack turns out and assuming you have not already taken a move action this round. If you've already taken a 5-foot step, you can't use your move action to move any distance, but you could still use a different kind of move action.

Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action: You can choose to fight defensively when taking a full-attack action. If you do so, you take a –4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for until the start your next turn.

That seems pretty definitive right there... looks like the quote I came across was making the point that you could fight defensively as a standard action, not that fighting defensively is a standard action.

Dark Archive

Yup yup. Combat Expertise is still better though, of course. Crane Style would have lower AC after a point, but a smaller to-hit penalty.


Seranov wrote:
Yup yup. Combat Expertise is still better though, of course. Crane Style would have lower AC after a point, but a small to-hit penalty.

...and due to all of the prerequisites you'd be missing out on a lot of other things as well.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Damocles Guile wrote:
stuart haffenden wrote:
Just a thought, what about the Dragon Totem Rage powers in UC. If you took them at Barbarian levels 6,8 & 10 you add an additional DR 6.
I'm pretty sure that the DR provided by Dragon totem is only against a particular type of ernergy... and you have to take a LOT of rage Powers to get it.

While raging, the barbarian gains resistance to the energy type that is associated with her dragon totem—acid (black, copper, green), cold (silver, white), electricity (blue, bronze), or fire (brass, gold, red). This resistance equals double her current DR/— from her barbarian damage reduction class feature; this DR increases by 2 for each dragon totem rage power she possesses, including this one.


stuart haffenden wrote:
Damocles Guile wrote:
stuart haffenden wrote:
Just a thought, what about the Dragon Totem Rage powers in UC. If you took them at Barbarian levels 6,8 & 10 you add an additional DR 6.
I'm pretty sure that the DR provided by Dragon totem is only against a particular type of ernergy... and you have to take a LOT of rage Powers to get it.
While raging, the barbarian gains resistance to the energy type that is associated with her dragon totem—acid (black, copper, green), cold (silver, white), electricity (blue, bronze), or fire (brass, gold, red). This resistance equals double her current DR/— from her barbarian damage reduction class feature; this DR increases by 2 for each dragon totem rage power she possesses, including this one.

I can see that being interpreted either way - its probably one of the worst worded entries I've seen by Paizo. Having said that, I still feel like I would have to give up too much to take the Dragon Totem rage powers - I'd have to replace the Beast Totem choices (meaning that I lose claws to compliment my reach weapon, the AC bonus that offsets Reckless Abandon AND Pounce), and then I'd have to find room for Intimidating Glare and Animal Fury as well.


Are we now able to take 2 different totem lines?

Dark Archive

The part of the book where they introduced the Totem powers claims that the Totem Warrior allows you to take two different lines of Totem powers, but the actual archetype doesn't say that at all.

So, maybe? It's still a massive investment to get more than one line, especially one like Dragon Totem that requires stuff before you even get Lesser Dragon Totem.


Sadly for the totem warrior the answer is no as FAQed here.


I would advocate crane style over Combat expertise. With Crane Style, you can get the full +10 DR with Improved Stalwart.

Fighting Defensively: +2AC
Acrobatics(3): +1 AC
Crane Style: +1AC
Dodge: +1 AC

So this will give you +5AC, which translates to +10DR with Improved Stalwart, and only a -2 to hit penalty vs. -4 to hit with Combat Expertise and Threatening Defender. It's more feat intensive, but a 1 level dip into Martial Artist monk can certainly help.

Dark Archive

You lose 1 BAB, a handful of rage rounds (not really a big concern) and get even further behind on Rage Powers and such.

It's a valid option, but I don't necessarily think it's the best one.


Question: If the enemy ignores you and goes for squishier targets, what will you do?

Dark Archive

Hit it with your big heavy weapon while raging, because you're a g!*&!+n barbarian.


Seranov wrote:
Hit it with your big heavy weapon while raging, because you're a g~~*&&n barbarian.

Pretty much this, yeah. Its one of the reasons I use a reach weapon with this character most of the time - if someone wants to get past me to get to the squishies, its really going to hurt. More often than not, foes will absolutely not subject themselves to AoO's if they can help it.


Seranov wrote:

You lose 1 BAB, a handful of rage rounds (not really a big concern) and get even further behind on Rage Powers and such.

It's a valid option, but I don't necessarily think it's the best one.

I agree that its a valid option, but not one I would prefer to take, mainly for the reasons you mention. One of the great things about this build is that its not a one-trick pony... sacrificing some (or much) of its versatility to squeeze just a bit more juice out of one particular aspect ends up giving you diminishing returns in my opinion.


Why not use heavy armor like full plate instead of a breastplate?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
DrUnne wrote:
Why not use heavy armor like full plate instead of a breastplate?

Loss of abilities.


blackbloodtroll wrote:
DrUnne wrote:
Why not use heavy armor like full plate instead of a breastplate?
Loss of abilities.

Which one's? You lose fast movement already when you take Urban Barb, correct?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
DrUnne wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:
DrUnne wrote:
Why not use heavy armor like full plate instead of a breastplate?
Loss of abilities.
Which one's? You lose fast movement already when you take Urban Barb, correct?

Ah, yes. Well, proficiency is an issue.


blackbloodtroll wrote:
DrUnne wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:
DrUnne wrote:
Why not use heavy armor like full plate instead of a breastplate?
Loss of abilities.
Which one's? You lose fast movement already when you take Urban Barb, correct?
Ah, yes. Well, proficiency is an issue.

Yep but he takes a level of fighter for Unbreakable at first level, which loses tower shields but would still provide him with heavy armor proficiency.

I know he said he doesn't provide a suggested gear list, just has me a little confused as to why provide stats for basic weapon and breastplate instead of full plate.


what about armored hulk?


D'arandriel wrote:

I would advocate crane style over Combat expertise. With Crane Style, you can get the full +10 DR with Improved Stalwart.

Fighting Defensively: +2AC
Acrobatics(3): +1 AC
Crane Style: +1AC
Dodge: +1 AC

So this will give you +5AC, which translates to +10DR with Improved Stalwart, and only a -2 to hit penalty vs. -4 to hit with Combat Expertise and Threatening Defender. It's more feat intensive, but a 1 level dip into Martial Artist monk can certainly help.

If you are a human you can get racial heritage (halfling) and cautious fighter feats for.

Fighting Defensively: +2AC
Acrobatics (3): +1 AC
Cautious Fighter: +2 AC

While you don't get the nice reduction in to hit penalties on the up side you can still you use 2 handed weapons for the damage boost or shields for the AC.


Why do you switch from Bardiche to Greatsword at level 13?


DrUnne wrote:
Why not use heavy armor like full plate instead of a breastplate?

You can actually ignore that. I just jotted down what the character would be wearing/weilding at 1st level and didn't really take it beyond that. As I said, equipment is mor eor less immaterial here - heavy armor would be a logical extention of the build as it levels up.

Blueluck wrote:
Why do you switch from Bardiche to Greatsword at level 13?

The character as I played him carried both a Greatsword and a Bardiche starting at 13th level due primarily to Come and Get Me - there are reach issues that need to be compensated for to properly use the Rage Power and having a weapon that allows you to attack adjacent foes was the most practical solution... again, the equipment stuff isn't really part of the primary build, I just had to put something down and that was my reasoning.


Damocles Guile wrote:

The build in its entirety as well as additional options and some level-by-level stats and bonuses can be found here.

Some time back I put up a Barbarian build I had been working on it recieved a warm response, so now that I've finished tweaking it and put it up on Google Docs I wanted to repost the build and explain some of the choices that were made.

First off, the concept is that of a tank, one that can withstand immeasurable punishment and survive pretty much any encounter as well as present enough of a threat that foes would be a fool to ignore him (after all, they don't know how invulnerable he is, eh?). It starts off with a level of Unbreakable Fighter and then goes Barbarian the next 19 levels, following the paired archetypes of Urban Barbarian and Invulnerable Rager.

You can't take Fighter 1st if you want Barbarian as favored class.

So no super superstitious if you go Fighter 1st.

" [u]Each character begins play with a single favored class of his choosing—typically[/u], this is the same class as the one he chooses at 1st level. Whenever a character gains a level in his favored class, he receives either + 1 hit point or + 1 skill rank. The choice of favored class cannot be changed once the character is created..."

This seems to lead to you have to take favored at 1st.
Unless it means: you choose at 1st (but you have to write down which since can't be changed) but can take another class.

Meaning Pathfinder wants you to create a build and plazn everything.

Dark Archive

Uh, yeah, it says right there: TYPICALLY. It does not HAVE to be, but you are required to choose it at level 1.

Even still, you can start as a level 1 Barbarian, grab the level of Unbreakable Fighter, than go back to Barbarian for the rest of your levels, if you so desire.


Quote:


Unless it means: you choose at 1st (but you have to write down which since can't be changed) but can take another class.

This part is correct.

1 to 50 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / The Barbarian Tank re-visited... All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.