Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Are there any ways in pathfinder for a Cleric to get 3 Domains?


Advice


In 3.5 there were feats for Bonus domain in the Epic Level Handbook (p51) and Complete Divine (p89)... but 3.5 is not Pathfinder... so in Pathfinder are there such feats or other ways to achieve this goal? If so, where?


Or even just an ability that allows different domain powers... or spells?


Some prestige classes offered it as well. Specifically, I recall the Planar Agent from Manual of the Planes.

I haven't seen it as an option in PF as far as I know.


Thanks for chiming in, Scythia -- even if it's just to say you don't think so. Maybe somebody else has the answer, or even just a definitive no... if it says somewhere explicitly 3 domains is forbidden.


Not really. You can take a level of inquisitor to get access to another domain without the spells or higher level powers.


there is the priest base class, is 3pp though.


Only by multiclassing.


I was under the impression a inquisitor dip required choosing a domain in common with what you already had in cleric, but no such thing is said for druid - I think... but the main thrust is trying to find a way for pure cleric... even at epic level... just ANY WAY to get an additional domain.


Nope.


Certainly looks that way, but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if any venerable or lordly rules-mavins can prove us wrong... :/

Sczarni

You can by multiclassing.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

To my knowledge, only by multiclassing. Cleric/inquisitor or cleric/druid.


you should be able to gain another domain by multiclassing,
but the class abilities don't scale/stack using all combined levels then.
(if you choose the same domain for another class that does stack, then they do)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The 3.5 feats were part of the "broken" aspects which never which never made the transition to Pathfinder. Given how powerfull the domains are, this is probably for the best.


FYI, there is the storm druid (?) archetype that gets 2 domains (eventually), and it has spontaneous domain casting.
i hate pokemon druids, so in tune with nature that they just conjure animals out of thin air to do their bidding.

Sczarni

The Domains section says that if you don't worship a specific deity, you still get to choose domains per GM approval. It says you still get two, but in theory you could convince your GM to give you three if you successfully argue that it's necessary for your character concept, that the three you choose don't form some sort of game-breaking combo, and that not worshipping a specific deity is a sufficient handicap to justify you getting an extra domain. Unless your GM's game world still involves the Wall of the Faithless, good luck with that last one.


yeah, but he could equally argue the same while worshipping a specific deity, as necessary for clerics in golarion. or argue to be granted 3 domains for his fighter. by 'in pathfinder' i take it that he's interested in what the pathfinder rules allow.

this sort of thing does sound like it's itching to have some sort of option for it in the Mythic Levels rules.

it does make me wonder what it would be like if clerics just gained ALL their deity's domains.
could be cool for a game world where the deities are alot more powerful/involved...
wizards and the like would really be upstarts crawling against the tide of the gods' power.


Divine Scion allows you to get a third domain, but you do need to PrC into it. Important caveat: you do not progress in your Cleric domain while leveling in the Divine Scion PrC or vice versa.


nice... why do i really want to use that with a storm druid? :-)

BTW, it's not [link=stuff]stuff[/link], it's [u r l=stuff]stuff[/u r l] (without spaces in url)


I realized that when I came back to the tab, Quandary. Edited for proper linkage. Thanks :-)


seriously, that really wants me to make a 3 domain storm druid... 8-P....

Andoran

Heh, try a 4-bloodlined sorcerer. Who needs spells?


The Priest in Tome of Secrets has 3 domains. 2 of your choice and the knowledge domain.

Taldor

Serisan wrote:
Divine Scion allows you to get a third domain, but you do need to PrC into it. Important caveat: you do not progress in your Cleric domain while leveling in the Divine Scion PrC or vice versa.
Quote:

Domain Specialization (Su)

At 3rd level, a divine scion selects a domain granted by her deity—this domain becomes the divine scion’s chosen specialization in representing her deity. Although most divine scions pick domains that they’ve gained from other classes (such as cleric), they don’t have to do so. Every time a divine scion casts a domain spell from her specialized domain, she heals damage equal to twice the spell’s level.

In addition, each domain specialization grants a spell-like ability (which functions at a caster level equal to the divine scion’s total character level) and a permanent sacred bonus (or profane, if the divine scion is evil) on a single type of d20 roll.

This feature doesn't give a domain. It gives you abilities based off of a domain you already have, or one you didn't choose that your deity grants. You don't get domain powers, or domain spells. Just a bonus for casting the chosen domains spells and a spell-like ability.


You can't multiclass into inquisitor to get an extra domain - it says explicitely if you're cleric than your domain must be one of your cleric domains.
You can multiclass into sacred servant paladin, however - there is no restriction like in the cleric/inquisitor combination :-)


Sangalor wrote:

You can't multiclass into inquisitor to get an extra domain - it says explicitely if you're cleric than your domain must be one of your cleric domains.

You can multiclass into sacred servant paladin, however - there is no restriction like in the cleric/inquisitor combination :-)

However can you start out as a inquisitor and then go into Cleric with new domains.


Rogar Stonebow wrote:
However can you start out as a inquisitor and then go into Cleric with new domains.
Quote:
If the inquisitor has cleric levels, one of her two domain selections must be the same domain selected as an inquisitor.

It doesn't care which comes first, one of the domains have to match.


RtrnofdMax wrote:
Serisan wrote:
Divine Scion allows you to get a third domain, but you do need to PrC into it. Important caveat: you do not progress in your Cleric domain while leveling in the Divine Scion PrC or vice versa.
Quote:

Domain Specialization (Su)

At 3rd level, a divine scion selects a domain granted by her deity—this domain becomes the divine scion’s chosen specialization in representing her deity. Although most divine scions pick domains that they’ve gained from other classes (such as cleric), they don’t have to do so. Every time a divine scion casts a domain spell from her specialized domain, she heals damage equal to twice the spell’s level.

In addition, each domain specialization grants a spell-like ability (which functions at a caster level equal to the divine scion’s total character level) and a permanent sacred bonus (or profane, if the divine scion is evil) on a single type of d20 roll.

This feature doesn't give a domain. It gives you abilities based off of a domain you already have, or one you didn't choose that your deity grants. You don't get domain powers, or domain spells. Just a bonus for casting the chosen domains spells and a spell-like ability.

You are correct. I've apparently been misreading the ability for a while. >.<


Vestrial wrote:
Rogar Stonebow wrote:
However can you start out as a inquisitor and then go into Cleric with new domains.
Quote:
If the inquisitor has cleric levels, one of her two domain selections must be the same domain selected as an inquisitor.

It doesn't care which comes first, one of the domains have to match.

So you start in Inquisitor, enter Cleric with your free choice of Domains because it has no restriction, and then Inquisitor will now give you a new choice from the 2 Cleric Domains you chose?


Paladin can get a domain as well.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Quandary wrote:
Vestrial wrote:
Rogar Stonebow wrote:
However can you start out as a inquisitor and then go into Cleric with new domains.
Quote:
If the inquisitor has cleric levels, one of her two domain selections must be the same domain selected as an inquisitor.

It doesn't care which comes first, one of the domains have to match.

So you start in Inquisitor, enter Cleric with your free choice of Domains because it has no restriction, and then Inquisitor will now give you a new choice from the 2 Cleric Domains you chose?

No, you start in Inquisitor, enter Cleric and choose 1 domain, your second domain must be the inquisitor domain.

Inquisitor wrote:
If the inquisitor has cleric levels, one of her two domain selections must be the same domain selected as an inquisitor.

No mention there of the order in which you take the levels, just if you have them.

Grand Lodge

That was my understaning as well.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

How about Cleric/Storm Druid and get 4 domains?


Quandary wrote:
So you start in Inquisitor, enter Cleric with your free choice of Domains because it has no restriction, and then Inquisitor will now give you a new choice from the 2 Cleric Domains you chose?

You don't get to ignore the inquisitor text as you level cleric. If you take a level of cleric after you are an inquisitor, one of the two must match. If you go into inq after cleric, you pick from one of the two.


You could end up with an inquisition and two domains. That's like 2 & 1/2 domains.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / Are there any ways in pathfinder for a Cleric to get 3 Domains? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.