Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Simple, Complete List of Legal (or illegal) Archetypes for PFS play?


Pathfinder Society® General Discussion

Osirion

I'm wondering if there's a page/list/download that I can use to narrow down possible archetypes that I can use in putting together my first PFS character? I've read the PFS guidebook and seen the resource page that goes through each sourcebook/module individually, but I have to think someone has compiled a more user-friendly reference of such things, no?

Any advice would be most welcome.

*****

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Archives of Nethys does an exceptional job of listing any and all archetypes, items, and spells by PFS legality (look for the Glyph of the Open Road)

Osirion

Many thanks, John!


I have noticed that paizo does the worst possible job of listing what is legal or not legal.

Instead of just listing the things that are flatly illegal they list everything legal, and not even by class, by book and adventure path

Paizo Employee ***** Pathfinder Society Campaign Coordinator

4 people marked this as a favorite.
CWheezy wrote:

I have noticed that paizo does the worst possible job of listing what is legal or not legal.

Instead of just listing the things that are flatly illegal they list everything legal, and not even by class, by book and adventure path

If you want to rewrite the entire Additional Resources to reflect this change, feel free to do so and email it to me. I've been looking for a better means to list Additional Resources. Help is appreciated.


Isn't that your job?

If you want to hire me to rewrite the additional resources into a banlist sure I can do that, but it is probably not my responsibility to make sure that what a player can and cannot do in pathfinder society is clear and concise

Paizo Employee ***** Pathfinder Society Campaign Coordinator

CWheezy wrote:

Isn't that your job?

If you want to hire me to rewrite the additional resources into a banlist sure I can do that, but it is probably not my responsibility to make sure that what a player can and cannot do in pathfinder society is clear and concise

Oh, no worries. I will get to it eventually. However, it is not a pressing issue, nor a priority, since all of the info is there and is essentially a formatting issue. But, it isn't as easy of a process as you made it out to be.

***

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Challenge accepted Michael. Challenge accepted.

I will list what is illegal in every book according to the additional resources.

If a book has more illegal things in it than legal I will list what is legal for that book.

Things that are legal will be in Purple (the color of the decemverate)

Things that are illegal (majority of document) will be black

Edit: and I have already run into difficulty. I don't own any of the adventure paths, or most of the campaign setting materials. I will have to look into getting a hold of them.

Shadow Lodge ***

Michael Brock wrote:


If you want to rewrite the entire Additional Resources to reflect this change, feel free to do so and email it to me. I've been looking for a better means to list Additional Resources. Help is appreciated.

Seriously, if there is anything else you could use some help from the community for, please by all means, let us know. There's many of us willing to do what we can. Anything to make this place even better.

Paizo Employee ***** Pathfinder Society Campaign Coordinator

Thanks for the offer. Right now, I would just like an easier to use, easier to look at Additional Resources, even if it has to be reformatted. Perhaps work with Mahtobedis on books he doesn't have.

I don't mind taking a day to go into our files in our database and changing the formatting. I just need to know what the best formatting is for the community.

***

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Well if someone could give me a list of what in the adventure paths is not allowed that would be greatly appreciated. I was planning on eventually owning all of the campaign setting materials.

Silver Crusade ***** Venture-Lieutenant, North Carolina—Raleigh aka greysector

Mahtobedis wrote:
Well if someone could give me a list of what in the adventure paths is not allowed that would be greatly appreciated. I was planning on eventually owning all of the campaign setting materials.

I'll see if I can throw that together for you tomorrow.

Silver Crusade ***** Venture-Lieutenant, North Carolina—Raleigh aka greysector

Personally I think that a list with two columns (one for legal items/rules, one for illegal items/rules) by sourcebook would be fantastic.

Paizo Employee ***** Pathfinder Society Campaign Coordinator

greysector wrote:
Personally I think that a list with two columns (one for legal items/rules, one for illegal items/rules) by sourcebook would be fantastic.

I'm afraid it would make that document longer than it currently is. I am hoping to somehow shorten the document to make it a bit more manageable.

***

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I think the trick is going to be to focus on what is not allowed rather than what is. I believe this will be advantageous for two reasons. First of all because there is a much larger amount of material allowed than not. Second of all because when I'm checking something in additional resources I check to see if something I want to do is legal. I think it would be faster to see if it is on a list of things I am not allowed to do.

I think it will also be beneficial to sort reverse the order of how things are organized. Right now we have books as the headers. I think it would be better to consolidate all the feats into one section, all the archetypes, all the spells, ect... My theory is that it will not become unwieldy because I will be focusing on banned material.

Each entry will also list which source it is from.

Michael before I get too far ahead of myself, which type of file would you prefer? .doc .docx .pdf .txt .something else?

Paizo Employee ***** Pathfinder Society Campaign Coordinator

.doc file please. That will allow me to copy and paste from it directly.

Taldor ***

I'll tell you what the additional resources should look like ... or, well, should and should. A complete database of archetypes, feats, traits, spells, classes, items, races etc. with tags attached to them (for example source). Then you could easily just type in the thing you're looking for and it'd show you whether it's legal or not.

PRD would otherwise be a nice place to add "legal in PFS" or "illegal in PFS" stamps, but it doesn't include every book and booklet Paizo has published.

Mahtobedis, I'd like to contribute to this task, actually. If you'd create a googledoc or something similar, I'd be able to join.

EDIT: Actually, I've always just opened the additional resources page and searched for the thing I'm looking for. If I don't find it, I look up what's the source of the thing. That often gives me the answer I'm looking for.

Grand Lodge *****

A database for this would be great; but remember, you also need to print out the list to take with you to games so you can show your GM.

The best way to do that would be to list by source and show what IS legal.

Listing what is not legal means the GM would have to verify what source the legal item is from and check that source to see that the item is included there.

***

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I fail to see the issue with that since players have to have the source something is from and show it to their GM anyway.

***** Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka CRobledo

Deussu wrote:
I'll tell you what the additional resources should look like ... or, well, should and should. A complete database of archetypes, feats, traits, spells, classes, items, races etc. with tags attached to them (for example source). Then you could easily just type in the thing you're looking for and it'd show you whether it's legal or not.

Does Archive of Nethys not serve this purpose for you? At least for class archetypes?

Just click on a class, then archetypes and it tells you which are legal (glyph of open road)

***

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I've made an outline of a format I think will be faster to use and started filling it in. If people who are interested in helping could pm me I'll send you the link.

What I have created is a list of what is not allowed organized by Race, Class (with abilities and archetypes nested here), Feats, Spells, and Equipment.

Andoran ***** Venture-Lieutenant, Minnesota—Anoka

Michael Brock wrote:
greysector wrote:
Personally I think that a list with two columns (one for legal items/rules, one for illegal items/rules) by sourcebook would be fantastic.
I'm afraid it would make that document longer than it currently is. I am hoping to somehow shorten the document to make it a bit more manageable.

What if it was done as a series of links or pull-down menus.

The top line of links would be:

Core Books…..Campaign Setting Books……Player Companion Books…..Adventure Paths

Then clicking on that link would take you to a list of links for each book under that heading.

Then you click on the book and get a small, simple list of items that are legal, or not legal for that book.

Grand Lodge ** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

What about a sort-enabled database, kind of like the spell list database over on d20pfsrd.com?

Lantern Lodge ***

I think the addition of a search-or-sort feature as described by Jiggy would be a good idea. If you know what you're looking for, type it into the Search box and it searches the Additional Resources area for you. In addition, you could narrow the searches down by AP, Campaign Setting, Player Companion or even by Race or Class.

Just two CP from me.

Andoran *** Venture-Lieutenant, Washington—Seattle aka The Great Rinaldo!

Unfortunately, while that would be awesome, it turns the thing from a static web page (easy for Mike to edit and update) into a dynamic page pulled from a database (which requires programming by the web dev(s) and inputting of the data by "someone", and updates requires more of the same). That is likely out of scope.

Sczarni *** Venture-Lieutenant, Connecticut—Manchester aka Cpt_kirstov

Andrew Christian wrote:


What if it was done as a series of links or pull-down menus.

The top line of links would be:

Core Books…..Campaign Setting Books……Player Companion Books…..Adventure Paths

Then clicking on that link would take you to a list of links for each book under that heading.

Then you click on the book and get a small, simple list of items that are legal, or not legal for that book.

But then what if you don't know what book it is?

Personally, I think its a good idea if you could checkmark books and have everything sort in ABC order. It would be WAY too long for printing, but would work as the online resource (keeping the current format for print out to take with you resource)

Qadira ***** RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Earl Gendron wrote:
But then what if you don't know what book it is [in]?

Then you don't have ready access to the hardcopy nor the PDF.

Shadow Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Washington—Eastern Washington aka WalterGM

1 person marked this as a favorite.

My usual approach for character creation is:
1. Find something cool/unique/what I want from d20pfsrd, the official srd, or my books.
2. Open up Additional Resources. Use CTRL + F to search for it. If I don't find it, search by the product it was released in.
3. Profit.

While I wouldn't mind a visual upgrade for the Additional Resources, they serve their purpose fine as is -- and are, in a way, a searchable database already ;)

***** Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka CRobledo

Walter Sheppard wrote:

My usual approach for character creation is:

1. Find something cool/unique/what I want from d20pfsrd, the official srd, or my books.
2. Open up Additional Resources. Use CTRL + F to search for it. If I don't find it, search by the product it was released in.
3. Profit.

While I wouldn't mind a visual upgrade for the Additional Resources, they serve their purpose fine as is -- and are, in a way, a searchable database already ;)

This

Cheliax ***** Owner - Enchanted Grounds

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I love seeing this thread go from "F you. Pay me," to a genuinely helpful brainstorming session. Nice to see, after that initial hiccup.

I'd contribute, but beyond what's been said, I don't think I have a lot to offer besides, "Thanks for doing this, everyone."

*

For what it's worth, I do the discover it then check it thing Walter Sheppard outlined and it works fine for me. Yeah, the .pdf could be a little better organized. The mix of both "these are allowed" and "these are not allowed" throws me sometimes, but I usually manage to figure it out.

That said, go y'all! Give back, pay forward!

Qadira ****

Drogon wrote:

I love seeing this thread go from "F you. Pay me," to a genuinely helpful brainstorming session. Nice to see, after that initial hiccup.

I'd contribute, but beyond what's been said, I don't think I have a lot to offer besides, "Thanks for doing this, everyone."

This +1. Thank you everyone involved.

Shadow Lodge *** Venture-Lieutenant, California—Silicon Valley aka JohnF

Add another to the list of those who find the current "Additional Resources" file perfectly usable, but who wouldn't object to a slightly more consistent presentation.

I've just completed a mini-audit of my own characters (made a lot easier by the fact that HeroLab shows sources for most things, though for some reason it doesn't do that for items from Ultimate Equipment), so that I can put together a folder of reference pages to show to GMs.

Osirion **

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
CRobledo wrote:
Deussu wrote:
I'll tell you what the additional resources should look like ... or, well, should and should. A complete database of archetypes, feats, traits, spells, classes, items, races etc. with tags attached to them (for example source). Then you could easily just type in the thing you're looking for and it'd show you whether it's legal or not.

Does Archive of Nethys not serve this purpose for you? At least for class archetypes?

Just click on a class, then archetypes and it tells you which are legal (glyph of open road)

It definitely does all that. :) Truth be told, a list of what isn't allowed in PFS would only take a few minutes by querying my database.

Hmmm... give me a half hour.

Grand Lodge *****

The problem with third party sites/docs is that they are not official.

Osirion **

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Yup. 30 minutes, give or take. Please note the below does *not* include the last month's releases, Bestiary 2, Bestiary 3, the NPC Codex, GameMastery Guide, Inner Sea Bestiary, or Ultimate Equipment. Yet. ;) Otherwise, this is everything marked FALSE for PFSLegality in my database. Well, everything in the major tables at least, I didn't include the dozen or so tables I have for class features (barbarian rage powers, for example) and a few other things, but it wouldn't be hard to look up.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-IV7u18FlAtNWItUW9tc2RhcFU

And yes, I know the VLOOKUP function is having weird issues on google docs. Works fine in excel, but not on google docs apparently. Ah well, it was a quick make.

EDIT: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuIV7u18FlAtdHQyMldfUFoxWEJPVz VYeGZMSUJXWnc this includes the tab names, though the VLOOKUP function fails here, as mentioned, so the Sources aren't visible (immediately, they can be found on the LOOKUP tab still).

These can be sorted by Source, Name, whatever. Currently they are alphabetical.

***

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I'm impressed. I'm only halfway done with mine.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Simple, Complete List of Legal (or illegal) Archetypes for PFS play? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.