Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Pacific Rim: Del Toro was yanked from At the Mountains of Madness to do this?


Movies

1 to 50 of 565 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Qadira

some bigotry to brainwash the kids with


Blame Prometheus for canceling At the Mountains of Madness, since the former was considered too similar to the latter by Del Toro

Andoran

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

But its monsters from below the ocean. We fight them in giant robots.


I assume you're also the one to leave the first comment under that article?

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Meh. MoM was never gonna happen under del Toro. As much as I like the few projects he HAS finished, he's pretty notorious for talking about a project, dilly-dallying around without actually doing anything about it for years, and then dropping it. I don't blame Prometheus, I blame del Toro's inaction.

At any rate, I think the story is pretty damned unfilmable, anyhow. 95% of the "story" from the novel is interpretation from bas-reliefs left by the Elder Things.

Qadira

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Did anyone else start hearing GlaDos about 1:10 into the video?

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
CapeCodRPGer wrote:
But its monsters from below the ocean. We fight them in giant robots.

So it's CthulhuTech ?

Qadira

4 people marked this as a favorite.
yellowdingo wrote:
some bigotry to brainwash the kids with

Out of curiosity - what bigotry is that? While I certainly did see people of Asian descent, I also saw caucasians, African-Americans, Hispanics ... All my favorite people all in the movie. I love how we feel the necessity to sling more hatred under the assumption that everything (PB&J - white privilege my ass) is racist or bigoted. In fact, I'm more likely to label the mud-slinger as the person who has problems with racism.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

I'm sorry but that rocket punch sold me on this film.

ROCKET PUNCH. In a Del Toro movie!

Lord Snow wrote:
Did anyone else start hearing GlaDos about 1:10 into the video?

Yeah, that is totally Ellen McLain. I hope there isn't any trouble with her bringing her exact same voice over to another work. I know there are issues with certain voice acting roles where they're prohibited from using certain voices elsewhere(Nancy Cartwright's Bart for example), and this specific case is more than just her voice.

I just don't want anything to shake up the "big happy family" Team Valve gives off, especially considering McLain's roles in three of their series, not to mention her husband's...

EDIT-Scratch all of those worries from the record. I just read how Del Toro got McLain on board and it's adorable. And it enforces my love for Valve that much more.

Silver Crusade

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Kthulhu wrote:
CapeCodRPGer wrote:
But its monsters from below the ocean. We fight them in giant robots.
So it's CthulhuTech ?

Thought that while watching it.

At first I was like: "Well, I guess Del Toro is getting ot do his cosmic horror story after all. It might be worth looking into when I'm in the mood."

then robots

But then I was like: "HELL YES! ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH!"

Edit-Ron Perlman and Idris Elba too? In a mecha vs. cosmic horror movie with a GLaDOS cameo?

Those tickets are bought.


TigerDave wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
some bigotry to brainwash the kids with
Out of curiosity - what bigotry is that?

Why bigotry against giant aliens, of course. They symbolize the unjustly-hated Them in the Western Imperialist Us vs. Them dichotomy that is at the root of all modern bigotry.

Qadira

Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose if I read the comments on the site I would have been able to connect the dots.

I am enlightened however, because I never knew we had "kill the aliens" prejudism for "thousands of years."

"Sir. Put down the kool-aide, and keep your hands where we can see them!"

Qadira

TigerDave wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
some bigotry to brainwash the kids with
Out of curiosity - what bigotry is that? While I certainly did see people of Asian descent, I also saw caucasians, African-Americans, Hispanics ... All my favorite people all in the movie. I love how we feel the necessity to sling more hatred under the assumption that everything (PB&J - white privilege my ass) is racist or bigoted. In fact, I'm more likely to label the mud-slinger as the person who has problems with racism.

Far more insidious: Anti monster/Alien Bigotry. Sewing the seeds of bigotry for a new generation.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

I think the still-erroneous view of aliens as sex objects is probably more deeply ingrained in our generations going forward.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber

Mmmmmm ALF.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Damn that leads perfectly to an entirely inappropriate joke.

For these boards or any sane person's eyes. Not going anywhere near it.

Qadira

Mikaze wrote:

Damn that leads perfectly to an entirely inappropriate joke.

For these boards or any sane person's eyes. Not going anywhere near it.

Weepy and distressed YOUTUBE video: 'Leave ALF alone!' Sob.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
TigerDave wrote:
(PB&J - white privilege my ass)

*Sigh*

Qadira

TigerDave wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose if I read the comments on the site I would have been able to connect the dots.

I am enlightened however, because I never knew we had "kill the aliens" prejudism for "thousands of years."

"Sir. Put down the kool-aide, and keep your hands where we can see them!"

Little Israelite named David Kills Giant with Stone...

Jack cuts down Beanstalk and kills Giant...

Smells like a few thousand years of Anti Monster Bigotry to me.


Does Cthullu gets rocket punched in the face? Yes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well, it looked kinda lame. But if GlaDos is in it, I guess it's a must-see. :p


7 people marked this as a favorite.

When thousands die because your monster tries to eat the city, I kind of think you are justified in attacking it with a giant robot...

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I thought I remember reading somewhere that del Toro stopped working on getting At the Mountains of Madness moving because he wanted to make it rated "R" and the studio was afraid of sinking $150 million into an "R" film because it's harder to make money back.

Otherwise - giant mech versus giant aliens is ok in my book.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
yellowdingo wrote:
TigerDave wrote:
yellowdingo wrote:
some bigotry to brainwash the kids with
Out of curiosity - what bigotry is that? While I certainly did see people of Asian descent, I also saw caucasians, African-Americans, Hispanics ... All my favorite people all in the movie. I love how we feel the necessity to sling more hatred under the assumption that everything (PB&J - white privilege my ass) is racist or bigoted. In fact, I'm more likely to label the mud-slinger as the person who has problems with racism.
Far more insidious: Anti monster/Alien Bigotry. Sewing the seeds of bigotry for a new generation.

*FACE

PALM*

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah. the reason Del Toro's work on Mountains of Madness stalled is because he wouldn't relent on it being R-rated. From what I've heard, the combination of it being an R-rated movie with a budget of over $100 million made all the studios Del Toro took it to get cold feet. Had he relented and gone with PG-13, he probably would have had better luck, but frankly, I'm kinda glad he held out. If he gets a few more big movies under his belt, and if they're successful, he'll have more clout and be able to do something riskier... especially if other expensive R-rated movies continue to be successful and please their studios (as is the case with Prometheus: regardless of what any one person might think about the movie, the studio's apparently greenlit the sequel since Prometheus did quite well at the box office.)

Del Toro's still said he's eager to get Mountains of Madness off the ground, and he's got PLENTY of movie-making years left.

In the meantime, Pacific Rim looks like it's gonna be super awesome... and I'm predicting it'll be my favorite movie of 2013! Mostly because it looks like exactly the kind of movie I'd love.

Taldor

I grew up in Japan at the end of the 70's and the early 80's. My dreams are of this kinda stuff. I nearly exploded from fanboy glee when I saw this trailer.

Shadow Lodge

I love del Toro's stuff, but I've said it before and I'll say it again...I can't see Mountains of Madness being both faithful and watchable. I'm not sure if I've ever read a book that was less suited to being turned into a movie.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I can't wait for this one, giant robots and giant monsters, though the monster design remind me more of Ultraman or old Gamera movies then the ones from the Godzilla universe.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Kthulhu wrote:
I'm not sure if I've ever read a book that was less suited to being turned into a movie.

House of Leaves is pretty high up there.

Cheliax Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Doesn't Pacific Rim have Stringer Bell in it? What more could you possibly want?


5 people marked this as a favorite.

You dig giant robots!

I dig giant robots!

We dig giant robots!

Chicks dig giant robots!

Nice!

Seriously the only better giant robot related news I could think of is if I heard they were bringing over the next Super Robot Wars Original Generations game over.


I wonder what happened to Tim Burton's Monsterpocalypse?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
I can't wait for this one, giant robots and giant monsters, though the monster design remind me more of Ultraman or old Gamera movies then the ones from the Godzilla universe.

This is not so much Godzilla as it is Seventies robot cartoons and such. Del Toro was a huge fan of Gigantor and Tranzor Z as a kid. :D

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I can't wait for this one, giant robots and giant monsters, though the monster design remind me more of Ultraman or old Gamera movies then the ones from the Godzilla universe.
This is not so much Godzilla as it is Seventies robot cartoons and such. Del Toro was a huge fan of Gigantor and Tranzor Z as a kid. :D

I'm looking at it as the Gurren Lagann of cosmic horror stories.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Looks cool but I'd rather see a Robotech movie.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

I can't help but suspect mainstream audiences would be more receptive to Sharon Apple than a Minmei Attack.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:
I'm looking at it as the Gurren Lagann of cosmic horror stories.

I'd pay good money to see a movie with both GLaDOS and Kamina in it.

"Stop. What are you doing? Quit that racket this instant."

Edit: Oh, and that actually IS Ellen McClain


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:
I can't help but suspect mainstream audiences would be more receptive to Sharon Apple than a Minmei Attack.

Pshaw!

With modern audiences' preoccupation with X Factor, Got Talent and the like, I think the Sheryl Nome ("the Star") and Ranka Lee ("the Star fan/wannabe with potential!") combo might get more general mainstream support!

;)

Carry on!

-- C.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

way to macross frontier that.


Rathendar wrote:
way to macross frontier that.

(^_^)=b

Qadira

Psiphyre wrote:
Rathendar wrote:
way to macross frontier that.

(^_^)=b

Actually I was thinking Death of Roy Fokker...

Andoran

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

*squee!!*

Imperial Titans v. Carnifex Warpspawn!

GLaDOS as an Engine Spirit!

I can't wait.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber
lordzack wrote:

You dig giant robots!

I dig giant robots!
We dig giant robots!
Chicks dig giant robots!
Nice!

Gotta find first gear! Seriously - this is exactly what I was singing while watching the preview! So awesome!

On a side note the pilot suits smack of the ones in the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchises. So - intentional or not - the whole thing has a very Godzilla/70's anime vibe mashup with a some Prometheus tech look. All we need is some lens flare to complete it!

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Did anyone else notice the Big-O style punch at the end? (Arm piston retract aaaaaaaaaaaand PAWNCH!!!!) That amused me just as much as GLaDOS and ROBOTS VS MONSTERS

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:
I'm looking at it as the Gurren Lagann of cosmic horror stories.

This is the best thing I have ever read.

Shadow Lodge

Mikaze wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
I'm not sure if I've ever read a book that was less suited to being turned into a movie.
House of Leaves is pretty high up there.

My brain hurts just trying to imagine that. There would be so many time-skips, rewinds, perspective shifts, and that's even presuming you ignore most of Johnny's ranting pages of footnotes....

Taldor

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Tales Subscriber

This looks like it could be Starship Troopers with better CGI.


As much as there are things in it that my sci-fi, monster, mech, loving soul can appreciate, I just don't see this as being successful. I imagine it is going to be as successful as Battleship and John Carter, that being huge budget and falls flat.

It feels too much like Battleship meets Real Steel to ultimately be a big hit.

Now that doesn't mean I won't like it, I'm sure I will. But then I liked Robot Jox back in the day

Taldor

Orthos wrote:
Did anyone else notice the Big-O style punch at the end? (Arm piston retract aaaaaaaaaaaand PAWNCH!!!!) That amused me just as much as GLaDOS and ROBOTS VS MONSTERS

That sir was a classic ROCKET PUNCH. It predates Big-O by quite a bit.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:

I'm sorry but that rocket punch sold me on this film.

ROCKET PUNCH. In a Del Toro movie!

Lord Snow wrote:
Did anyone else start hearing GlaDos about 1:10 into the video?

Yeah, that is totally Ellen McLain. I hope there isn't any trouble with her bringing her exact same voice over to another work. I know there are issues with certain voice acting roles where they're prohibited from using certain voices elsewhere(Nancy Cartwright's Bart for example), and this specific case is more than just her voice.

I just don't want anything to shake up the "big happy family" Team Valve gives off, especially considering McLain's roles in three of their series, not to mention her husband's...

EDIT-Scratch all of those worries from the record. I just read how Del Toro got McLain on board and it's adorable. And it enforces my love for Valve that much more.

mikaze, rocket punch was in this movie and you didn't tell me?!? why wasn't I informed? buys tickets

1 to 50 of 565 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gamer Life / Movies / Pacific Rim: Del Toro was yanked from At the Mountains of Madness to do this? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.