Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Rasputin Must Die! [Spoilers]


Reign of Winter

1 to 50 of 364 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I, like many others, have been wondering about adventure #71 for the Reign of Winter path. Many of these questions are "The" questions, such as "Is it the Rasputin?" and "Are the heroes going to the third planet from the Sun in a galaxy far away?"

While the adventures page won't be up for a while yet, something very interesting was released last night: Reign of Winter Item Cards.

You ask "But Cheapy, what's so interesting about those cards? They just list the mundane and not-so-mundane items that will appear in the adventure."

Exactly. Look at the sample cards. See anything out of place?

Here's a quick rules reference to jog your memory:

Ultimate Combat, Mastering Combat, Firearms wrote:
Pathfinder's world of Golarion uses the rules for emerging guns, which is also the default category of gun rarity detailed in this Pathfinder RPG supplement.

Revolvers are advanced weapons, a type of firearm used in the late 19th - early 20th century.

I went from fairly interested in the AP to very interested in just one image.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Cheapy wrote:
While the adventures page won't be up for a while yet, something very interesting was released last night: Reign of Winter Item Cards.

Corrected that Link for you.

And yes, it is beginning to look like this may be THE Rasputin.

I find this very cool indeed! :)


I've flagged this thread because I believe that it should get a spoiler tag.

And when will the RoW-specific forum turn up on the message boards? Because this thread will need to be moved there a.s.a.p. ...

Anyway, thank you, Cheapy, for pointing out that very intriguing fact. My interest in RoW is increasing by leaps and bounds! Irrisen, Baba Yaga, content from Distant Worlds - the Heliconia planet! ... err, I mean Triaxus :) - and now what looks like 20th century Earth. Must buy!

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

Added a spoiler tag to the title.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The list was updated.

It includes machine guns, gas cylinders, tanks, and Matryoshka Dolls. It would appear that we're going to World War I era Russia.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Moreover... Machine guns? as a magical weapon? This seems like it's going to visit earth more and more. The sheer volume of advanced (and super advanced) firearms indicates it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Stratagemini wrote:
Moreover... Machine guns? as a magical weapon? This seems like it's going to visit earth more and more. The sheer volume of advanced (and super advanced) firearms indicates it.

Remember, not all item cards represent magic weapons.

But the idea of a magic machine gun is pretty fun!


A tank...if a GM doesn't play the A-team theme when the players get a hold of that bad boy he seriously dropped the ball.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Oh yea, there's this post by Daigle as well.

Cheliax

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

And just like that my intrest in this Ap has began to drop rapidly

Paizo Employee Developer

Pfft. What do I know? ;)


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:
Pfft. What do I know? ;)

Let's find out!

Which would win in a battle: dragon-mounted dragonrider of triaxus vs tank.


A Renault FT vs a dragon rider I would give it to the rider. Now had we been in WWII I would totally give it to a Iosif Stalin tank. That said I would kill for Renault FT.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kevin Mack wrote:
And just like that my intrest in this Ap has began to drop rapidly

I sort of agree with you on that. I am not confident I could sell my players on the idea of going to Earth. Also not sure if I would really want to. The AP seemed like it might be a cool one to run, but starting to think this might be a deal breaker.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Lord of the Rings was set on earth, but people don't seem to mind that at all :D

Paizo Employee Developer

Cheapy wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Pfft. What do I know? ;)

Let's find out!

Which would win in a battle: dragon-mounted dragonrider of triaxus vs tank.

Duh, the PCs would win.

(Because that's what they're supposed to do!)

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

Timothy Hanson wrote:
Kevin Mack wrote:
And just like that my intrest in this Ap has began to drop rapidly
I sort of agree with you on that. I am not confident I could sell my players on the idea of going to Earth. Also not sure if I would really want to. The AP seemed like it might be a cool one to run, but starting to think this might be a deal breaker.

Who says that the PCs are going to Earth? Maybe Rasputin has come to Golarion, riding on top of a tank and firing his machine gun wildly into the air.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
ubiquitous wrote:
Timothy Hanson wrote:
Kevin Mack wrote:
And just like that my intrest in this Ap has began to drop rapidly
I sort of agree with you on that. I am not confident I could sell my players on the idea of going to Earth. Also not sure if I would really want to. The AP seemed like it might be a cool one to run, but starting to think this might be a deal breaker.
Who says that the PCs are going to Earth? Maybe Rasputin has come to Golarion, riding on top of a tank and firing his machine gun wildly into the air.

I'd like that better.

Rasputin with a cache of earth stuff is a cool idea and a fun tie in with history.
The PCs rampaging through Revolutionary Russia is too much of a genre clash. I don't want to deal with the real world on that level in my fantasy games.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

More of a genre clash vs Lovecraft horror, kung-fu tournaments, Numeria mecha scorpions, androids, or the SPACESHIP captains of Verces...please. If you don't want to visit Earth fine and dandy but Pathfinder is ALREADY the weird bastard child of fantasy, sci-fi, horror, adventure pulp whatever-you-can-think-of genre.

But what if instead of it being Earth its a Demiplane of Earth's 1916 Russia. (If for any other reason than to prevent the PC's from derailing history something fierce.) If anything we are only a few days away from a product description hitting the site. I'm sure we will know for sure where it will take place then.

Silver Crusade

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber

Rasputin: "Bring my tank closer to the PCs, I must hit them vith my sword!"

PCs: "Hahaha, hey Rasputin! Say 'Moose and Squirrel'."


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
Pfft. What do I know? ;)

Let's find out!

Which would win in a battle: dragon-mounted dragonrider of triaxus vs tank.

Duh, the PCs would win.

(Because that's what they're supposed to do!)

That's cheating!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Waruko wrote:

More of a genre clash vs Lovecraft horror, kung-fu tournaments, Numeria mecha scorpions, androids, or the SPACESHIP captains of Verces...please. If you don't want to visit Earth fine and dandy but Pathfinder is ALREADY the weird bastard child of fantasy, sci-fi, horror, whatever genre.

But what if instead of it being Earth its a Demiplane of Earth's 1916 Russia.(If for any other reason than to prevent the PC's from derailing history something fierce.) If anything we are only a few days away from a product description hitting the site. I'm sure we will know for sure where it will take place then.

The demi-plane might be cool, depends how it's done. I see that as closer to Rasputin's come to Golarion with cool earth stuff, than fantasy heroes in the Russian Revolution.

Maybe genre clash isn't the right term. It's more Pathfinder high fantasy versus the black realism of WWI trench warfare or even just daily peasant life in pre-revolutionary Russia. I'd be very uncomfortable playing that setting anything other than straight and even more uncomfortable playing high fantasy heroes in that setting.

Derailing history would be part of it. I'm not sure how any heroic PCs could get more than a casual look at tsarist Russia and not decide to overthrow him, which as 13-14th level characters in the real world, they could with ease. Along with dealing with the meta of players knowing the history.

If it's just a drop into Rasputin's house, fight your way through some guards, kill him and go, then no big deal, but also why bother having it on earth.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kevin Mack wrote:
And just like that my intrest in this Ap has began to drop rapidly

To the contrary, I find myself now intrigued by this AP for the first time.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA HOLY @#$%! :D

2. There is an important realization yet to be made if this is true:

This will make it entirely possible to have Ivan Drago punching things while riding a dragon.

3. Tetrads must be statted up to be summonable.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Stratagemini wrote:
Moreover... Machine guns? as a magical weapon? This seems like it's going to visit earth more and more. The sheer volume of advanced (and super advanced) firearms indicates it.

Remember, not all item cards represent magic weapons.

But the idea of a magic machine gun is pretty fun!

There is still the matter of what happens when Annihilator robots eat magic weapons to convert them into bullets... ;)

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Waruko wrote:
More of a genre clash vs Lovecraft horror, kung-fu tournaments, Numeria mecha scorpions, androids, or the SPACESHIP captains of Verces...please.

Yes plz

Waruko wrote:
But what if instead of it being Earth its a Demiplane of Earth's 1916 Russia. (If for any other reason than to prevent the PC's from derailing history something fierce.) If anything we are only a few days away from a product description hitting the site. I'm sure we will know for sure where it will take place then.

You know....that offers ample opportunity for certain missing indivudals from Earth history to turn up there, kept relatively safe and in a sort of stasis all this time. Kind of fitting too....what with a new queen in a faraway wintry kingdom possibly being chosen. Maybe the PCs could be retrieving a possible replacement.

Could make for quite the fairy tale twist.


Aw no, I had planned on playing that...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Hmmm, Anastasia Romanoff/Romanova's true fate was/is to be adopted by Baba Yaga and made the new queen of Irrisen? :)

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

7 people marked this as a favorite.

Ah, who else remembers Dragon #100 fondly?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thejeff wrote:
Maybe genre clash isn't the right term. It's more Pathfinder high fantasy versus the black realism of WWI trench warfare.

That does come off as a bit Suckerpunch-ish and I can see why you wouldn't want the themes of All Quiet on the Western Front in your AP. But let's see what they throw us.

Also I don't know who you mean by the PC's over throwing. Nicholas II was a nice guy that was a super crappy ruler that had advisers telling him only stuff they wanted him to hear on top of having no concept of industrialization, or the troubles of the common man. Its one thing to kill a evil king for being evil. Its another to tell a nice guy he's doing a s&!*ty job and he is being removed because of it. Which would be unLawful. Any players knowing the history meta would be preferred because they would know their is nothing short of a Wish/Miracle spell worded very carefully that would head off that cluster f$#! so they wouldn't try to fix problems they can't stop on a world not their own.

Bellona wrote:
Hmmm, Anastasia Romanoff/Romanova's true fate was/is to be adopted by Baba Yaga and made the new queen of Irrisen? :)

Anastasia and the majority of her family's remains were found in 1991. The missing son and Maria were found in 2008. DNA testing was done to conform the remains. HOWEVER...a clone spell cast by a kindly divination wizard that fell for Anastasia might be a different story indeed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:
Ah, who else remembers Dragon #100 fondly?

I've made it a point to visit the Victoria & Albert when I first got to visit London after that. :)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I was thinking aloud about this last night, and James made two comments on what I was blathering about.

First, I was intrigued by the fact that one of the rare references to Earth in the Pathfinder setting is that, correct me if I'm wrong, Cthulhu is canonically located on the little planet we call home. James comment was that there weren't lovecraftian themes to Reign of Winter, but it was interesting to think about. Especially what with Mythic rules finally being released right after this AP is done. Finally given the means to go to Earth (assuming that's where we are going), it could be interesting as an addendum to the AP to go and fight Cthulhu. I'm sure it's within Baba Yaga's powers to Mythicize everyone :)

Second, I was thinking about how since this is an AP with many fairy tale themes, it could be playing up Rasputin's supposed magical powers. This offers the possibility of an Earth where wars are fought using magic as well as bullets. Gas Cylinders are suddenly "alchemist fire"-like objects, but with cloudkill, tanks are actually self-powered constructs, and soldiers are supernaturally given strength from their squad's chaplain. At this point, I thought I recalled that cthulhu was mentioned to be locked away on a "magic dead" planet...But then everyone's favorite creative director said the following words:

"Earth is not magic dead."

Oh man.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

I'm looking forward to this AP. Very much.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion Subscriber

Machineguns

Matryoshkas

Rasputin, The Mad Monk

Triaxus

YES.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Cheapy wrote:

At this point, I thought I recalled that cthulhu was mentioned to be locked away on a "magic dead" planet...But then everyone's favorite creative director said the following words:

"Earth is not magic dead."

Oh man.

That's correct; Mythos Earth is anything but magic dead. The various worshippers of the Great Old Ones and Outer Gods showcase magical powers to varying degrees in all of the Mythos stories, from Wilber Whateley to Azedarac.

Cheliax

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Actually the part that really is putting me off is the implications it goes to earth. I'm not fond of putting real modernish real life events into my fanatasy and if it does send the characters to Earth it pretty much locks in what time period Earth shares with Golarion. (I suppose they could use a time travel argument but thats adding out there with even more out there.)

Not trying to be so negative but since it was initally announced this has been the Ap I had most been looking foreward to and it is kind of disapointing to see what seems like a big shift in tone for it.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I think "out there" is assumed the moment low level PCs gain access to Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut. It would seem that things such as physical rules tend not to apply to that little thing.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kevin Mack wrote:
Actually the part that really is putting me off is the implications it goes to earth. I'm not fond of putting real modernish real life events into my fanatasy and if it does send the characters to Earth it pretty much locks in what time period Earth shares with Golarion. (I suppose they could use a time travel argument but thats adding out there with even more out there.)

I don't worry about that. Heck the earth they go to could be the one with Barsoom as the 4th planet, or Amtor as the 2nd. Time could flow differently. It could be a timey-wimey ball.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:
Kevin Mack wrote:
Actually the part that really is putting me off is the implications it goes to earth. I'm not fond of putting real modernish real life events into my fanatasy and if it does send the characters to Earth it pretty much locks in what time period Earth shares with Golarion. (I suppose they could use a time travel argument but thats adding out there with even more out there.)

I don't worry about that. Heck the earth they go to could be the one with Barsoom as the 4th planet, or Amtor as the 2nd. Time could flow differently. It could be a timey-wimey ball.

Possibly but I could have sworn (And I admit I could be really wrong with this) that it has been mentioned that the Golarion verse earth is pretty much identical to real earth (Ancient space horrors dwelling within the depths and magic aside.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

As long as it has some wibbly-wobbly too I'm down.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Why does he have to die?

All I'm saying is the man has some amazing music numbers.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

It sort of amazes me that they danced on Egg Shells the whole Skull and Shackles AP about firearms and two APs later they are adding tanks. I will still look it over, and I might be wildly surprised, I just think they are taking some overly large leaps all at once and that surprises me. There first Planet Jumping AP and they are already going to Earth?

Sczarni

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Seems to me that Reign of Winter is pretty much being written as the "every crazy idea we can jam in" AP.

Which I am ALL FOR.

Taldor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

<3 <3 <3 Wooohoo!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I would love to go to earth...as a high level spellcaster muah hah ha.


Bellona wrote:
Hmmm, Anastasia Romanoff/Romanova's true fate was/is to be adopted by Baba Yaga and made the new queen of Irrisen? :)
Waruko wrote:
Anastasia and the majority of her family's remains were found in 1991. The missing son and Maria were found in 2008. DNA testing was done to conform the remains. HOWEVER...a clone spell cast by a kindly divination wizard that fell for Anastasia might be a different story indeed.

I did actually know about the missing family members' remains being found. But if Rasputin can be a Sorcerer/whatever class they give him (plus a lich?), then other parts of real Earth history can be, um, stretched a bit. Like your Clone spell suggestion! That one I liked. :)

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion Subscriber
Timothy Hanson wrote:

It sort of amazes me that they danced on Egg Shells the whole Skull and Shackles AP about firearms and two APs later they are adding tanks. I will still look it over, and I might be wildly surprised, I just think they are taking some overly large leaps all at once and that surprises me. There first Planet Jumping AP and they are already going to Earth?

Let's be frank: the "You got your filthy non-Tolkien/FR stuff in my pristine medieval fantasy" people were going to flip out over 'planetary travel to begin with. So once they're out of the picture, the remaining target group are folks with a hefty margin of appreciation in their tastes, so why not go ahead and go bonanza with Maxim machineguns and stuff.

I am oh so happy with this direction.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
Timothy Hanson wrote:

It sort of amazes me that they danced on Egg Shells the whole Skull and Shackles AP about firearms and two APs later they are adding tanks. I will still look it over, and I might be wildly surprised, I just think they are taking some overly large leaps all at once and that surprises me. There first Planet Jumping AP and they are already going to Earth?

Let's be frank: the "You got your filthy non-Tolkien/FR stuff in my pristine medieval fantasy" people were going to flip out over 'planetary travel to begin with. So once they're out of the picture, the remaining target group are folks with a hefty margin of appreciation in their tastes, so why not go ahead and go bonanza with Maxim machineguns and stuff.

I am oh so happy with this direction.

Well I love the sword and planet thing, don't think guns fit well in a standard D&D/PF game mostly because effective guns change the world, and while I don't have any problem with Rasputin showing up with a cache of tech or a demi-plane or something like that, I am deeply wary of high level PF heroes come to the real world plotlines. Especially in WWI/revolutionary Russia.

So it's not about kicking out the "pristine medieval fantasy" people.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

No, it's not. I'm still bitter that there was a serious downplay of guns on friggin' Skull and Shackles, though. Pirates. PIRATES! C'mon!

Still super happy about this, though. :)

Cheliax

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Skull and Shackles was set solely on Golarion, but if an AP isn't just on Golarion, it doesn't necessarily have to operate under the same rules.

1 to 50 of 364 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Reign of Winter / Rasputin Must Die! [Spoilers] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.