Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

The new Gygax magazine with the cancellation of KQ


Compatible Products from Other Publishers


Any thoughts?

Will a bundle of all the KQ mags be made available?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I dont see it going well to be honest the magazine buisness is notoriously hard to break into (As the Paizo anniversary blogs show) and it seems to be causing friction in the family a fair bit.

The Exchange Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

Goldomark, I can confirm that KQ bundles are already available here on the Paizo Store and also on the Kobold Store.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

I guess the wider question is will Paizo sell it and/or support it like KQ?

Also, to Wolfgang, did this new mag have any bearing on the decision to shutter KQ?

Sovereign Court Owner - Enchanted Grounds

Don't know if it'll survive, but I'll certainly give it a go. As an old school fan and modern Pathfinder player, I'm certainly looking forward to an honest-to-god trade magazine in the vein of the 80s/90s version of Dragon. I still miss that magazine.


Wolfgang Baur wrote:
Goldomark, I can confirm that KQ bundles are already available here on the Paizo Store and also on the Kobold Store.

Cool!

Will the year 5 bundle and the year 6 bundle (with 3 mags) be available too at some point in the Paizo Store?


WampaX wrote:
... did this new mag have any bearing on the decision to shutter KQ?

I'm not Wolfgang, but I can say with about 99% certainty that it did not.

-Ben.


Drogon wrote:


Don't know if it'll survive, but I'll certainly give it a go. As an old school fan and modern Pathfinder player, I'm certainly looking forward to an honest-to-god trade magazine in the vein of the 80s/90s version of Dragon. I still miss that magazine.

You and me both. I've been buying the PDF of KQ and I'll miss it. Hopefully the dead tree (or a PDF?) will be available here or at the "local" (it's an hour round trip) brick and morter. Or maybe the new place on my side of town will carry it. Have to ask...

The Exchange Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

I can confirm that the KQ announcement went live a week before I ever heard the term "Gygax Magazine." So it was not a factor in the KQ decision.

I have no idea of what level of quality it will deliver, but I am looking forward to seeing the first issue.

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

2 people marked this as a favorite.

If Gygax Magazine wants to sell on Paizo.com, I'd love to get an email from them. :D


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have no idea how good Gygax magazine will be, but I do know that Fire Mountain Games will have an ad in issue #1. Whether there is an ad in issue number two depends on the quality of that issue.

Gary McBride
Fire Mountain Games


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

Aside from Phil Foglio (What's New) and Rich Burlew (Dragon continuity OotS) who will be doing comics, does anyone have an idea of what the content for that first issue might look like (or a link discussing it)?


The announcement I saw on the magazine made it look like they were going to cover a very wide array of RPGs. I mean, a BUNCH. I don't believe fans of primarily one or two RPGs (i.e., Pathfinder, Traveller, D&D) are going to commit to a magazine that has a significant amount of content for RPGs they don't play.

I can't imagine it lasting beyond a few issues if it doesn't focus in on a few core games and hope to get the players of those games to invest in it. How many folks on these boards are going to support a magazine that is, say 20% Pathfinder content?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
HolmesandWatson wrote:

The announcement I saw on the magazine made it look like they were going to cover a very wide array of RPGs. I mean, a BUNCH. I don't believe fans of primarily one or two RPGs (i.e., Pathfinder, Traveller, D&D) are going to commit to a magazine that has a significant amount of content for RPGs they don't play.

I can't imagine it lasting beyond a few issues if it doesn't focus in on a few core games and hope to get the players of those games to invest in it. How many folks on these boards are going to support a magazine that is, say 20% Pathfinder content?

I can't help feeling you're correct on this. The more game systems you support, the more fragmented the buy in. Rightly or wrongly, I don't buy stuff for systems I don't run, no matter how good it might be, or how many great ideas I might garner from other articles. That's certainly what stopped me subscribing to KQ. My loss, sure, but that's the way it is. Are there any successful multi platform mags for rpgs?

In my book, pick one market and sell the best stuff to it. Or, if you want to be cosmopolitan, don't do it in one product.


WampaX wrote:
Aside from Phil Foglio (What's New) and Rich Burlew (Dragon continuity OotS) who will be doing comics, does anyone have an idea of what the content for that first issue might look like (or a link discussing it)?

Oooh. I hadn't seen that. Might be worth buying for those alone.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
WampaX wrote:
Aside from Phil Foglio (What's New) and Rich Burlew (Dragon continuity OotS) who will be doing comics, does anyone have an idea of what the content for that first issue might look like (or a link discussing it)?

Wasn't Phil the Art Director for Dragon way back when? I want to say that he had the job while Dave Trampier was still collecting a check for the Wormy comic.

Maybe we'll even get the "No SASE Ogres" back...


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber
thejeff wrote:
WampaX wrote:
Aside from Phil Foglio (What's New) and Rich Burlew (Dragon continuity OotS) who will be doing comics, does anyone have an idea of what the content for that first issue might look like (or a link discussing it)?
Oooh. I hadn't seen that. Might be worth buying for those alone.

Original source (I think?) is HERE and Rich basically confirms that bit of news on the Playground HERE.

Aside from the post by

Tim Krask on Facebook wrote:

Gygax is a gaming magazine for new and old players alike. We are looking forward to the games of tomorrow and today, while preserving the traditions and history that got us where we are now.

Our articles and features cover current independent and major publisher games such as Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, The One Ring, Shadowrun, Godlike, Labyrinth Lord, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Warhammer 40k Roleplay, Traveller, and others, as well as classic out-of-print games with a modern following, like AD&D, Top Secret, and Gamma World.

Our features include comics by Phil Foglio (What’s New With Phil and Dixie), Jim Wampler (Marvin the Mage), and Rich Burlew (Order of the Stick). Contributors include Jim Ward, Cory Doctorow, James Carpio, Ethan Gilsdorf, Dennis Sustare, and many more. Publishing quarterly in print as well as PDF and iPad editions, we hope each issue of Gygax will be an anticipated and treasured addition to any gamer’s library.

,nothing really solid on Issue 1's contents.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
HolmesandWatson wrote:

The announcement I saw on the magazine made it look like they were going to cover a very wide array of RPGs. I mean, a BUNCH. I don't believe fans of primarily one or two RPGs (i.e., Pathfinder, Traveller, D&D) are going to commit to a magazine that has a significant amount of content for RPGs they don't play.

I can't imagine it lasting beyond a few issues if it doesn't focus in on a few core games and hope to get the players of those games to invest in it. How many folks on these boards are going to support a magazine that is, say 20% Pathfinder content?

Hum, you might be right. But then I remember the old White Dwarf (before it became a catalog) or Space Gamer. We used to buy these magazines and then had a blast mixing and converting for our own use. But then that was a different time in both style of players and GMs. There is a different feel to the expectations of the many of the GMs and players today. Not better or worse, just different.


danielc wrote:
Hum, you might be right. But then I remember the old White Dwarf (before it became a catalog) or Space Gamer. We used to buy these magazines and then had a blast mixing and converting for our own use. But then that was a different time in both style of players and GMs. There is a different feel to the expectations of the many of the GMs and players today. Not better or worse, just different.

I remember White Dwarf. That British approach seemed 'different' back in the day. And I was one of the five subscribers left at Pegasus when it folded (not relevant: just like that line).

I think it's much different today. With MMOS, PC and console games, I'd be surprised if tabletop/PbP RPGers are as diverse in their interests or as open to exploring multiple games. And said folks are less likely to spend time converting stuff between systems.

Generally, I don't really think any RPG magazine can stay alive in today's environment (I would have bet on Kobold Quarterly if anyone). Heck, newspapers can barely make it.

I think Gygax Magazine may have to incorporate more and more computer/console content to try to keep things going.


HolmesandWatson wrote:


I can't imagine it lasting beyond a few issues if it doesn't focus in on a few core games and hope to get the players of those games to invest in it. How many folks on these boards are going to support a magazine that is, say 20% Pathfinder content?

It depends on how they handle it. I've picked up gaming magazines for games I don't play (or more accurately, games I don't play very often, such as Traveller) and still found takeaways from them that I can use.

It's a tightrope, though on a number of levels. On the one hand, they almost certainly do not want to be seen, due to the Gygax name as a house organ for either AD&D (which they can't claim, due to WotC) or Lejendary Adventures (because that would cause the rift between them and Gail over the Gygax name to possibly escalate into legal action). On the other hand, you're right that a general "covering all games" magazine is a tall order. The gaming world, as fragmented as it is, makes it impossible to cater to players of D&D/Pathfinder/C&C/OSRclones, White Wolf, Shadowrun, Warhammer 40K, Paranoia, Traveller and all other games out there at one go. Someone is bound to be annoyed that their favorite game is not going to be showcased.

I'm hoping that the bulk of the content will instead be system-neutral (articles that anyone, regardless of the game they play can find a takeaway from) with a smattering of system-specific articles for seasoning.

(BTW, I just realized it's been years since I was here last. Anyone got a dustrag for this avatar? :) )

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

*offers Pat a washcloth and a refreshing beverage*

Silver Crusade

I'll plan to pick up a print copy of the first issue at least, and see about digital copies from there on. I think it would do better as a digital only mag, especially these days. The mall down the street from me, Crossroads, just shut down its ginormous magazine stand. I rarely saw people at the register, but more just people thumbing through issues. This doesn't mean I think print is done for, but its hurting right now for sure.

As to the content of the first issue, it likely will be a catch all to see what sticks. They'll get feedback from the first few issues and you likely won't get the feel of the magazine until half a year in or so. I do like that it'll cover a wide variety, even for stuff I'm not interested in. You never know, it could spark ideas for what you are currently playing/running.


I'll certainly buy the 1st issue; probably the first few. Whether or not I keep on buying depends on how much that I like the 'zine.

Sovereign Court

I am willing to try if it talks about Pathfinder, but my interest in retro clones is very low.


Stereofm wrote:
I am willing to try if it talks about Pathfinder, but my interest in retro clones is very low.

You'll be happy then, Stereo, TSR just sent ouit an email blast to those of us who showed interest with the first issue's lineup, and a Pathfinder article is in the works. :)

TSR Inc. wrote:

]The Cosmology of Role Playing Games by James Carpio

Still Playing After All These Years by Tim Kask
Leomund's Secure Shelter by Len Lakofka
The Ecology of the Banshee by Ronald Corn
Bridging Generations by Luke Gygax
The Gygax Family Storyteller by Ernie Gygax
Keeping Magic Magical by Dennis Sustare
Gaming With a Virtual Tabletop by Nevin P. Jones
DMing for Your Toddler by Cory Doctorow
Great Power for ICONS by Steve Kenson
Gaming Through the Generations by Ethan Gilsdorf
Between the Dungeons by Ernie Gygax
Talents Off the Front Line by Dennis Detwiller
Adaption Decay by Michael Tresca
Gnatdamp: A Sanctuary in the Swamp adventure by Michael Curtis
The Kobold's Cavern - a special section edited by Wofgang Baur of Kobold Press:
---A Magical Miscellany for AGE by Randall Hurlburt
---Scaling Pathfinder Combat Feats by Marc Radle
---An AGE of Great Inventions by Rodrigo García Carmona
Comic - Marvin the Mage by Jim Wampler
Comic - What's New with Phil & Dixie by Phil Foglio
Comic - The Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew

From what I can tell, they're keeping it fairly system-neutral... lots of general gaming articles, sprinkled with some system-specific nuggets. I'm also impressed that Wolfgang Baur's KQ is getting a space inside the mag... so it looks like KQ's folding and GM's opening weren't totally unconnected...


The TSR folk have said there was no connection. They were as surprised as anyone else when KQ made their announcement. But they decided to contact Wolfgang and he agreed. In fact this is one of several reasons mentioned for the somewhat late release.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

It's nice to see Len Lakofka's name mentioned again. I still weep over the loss of the Wormy comic strip; the greatest strip to ever appear in a gaming mag. Don't imagine if we'll ever know why Dave Trampier went MIA; no point in asking his brother-in-law, Tom Wham (I've tried), the most info I ever got was "Illinois".


Sir Jolt wrote:
It's nice to see Len Lakofka's name mentioned again. I still weep over the loss of the Wormy comic strip; the greatest strip to ever appear in a gaming mag. Don't imagine if we'll ever know why Dave Trampier went MIA; no point in asking his brother-in-law, Tom Wham (I've tried), the most info I ever got was "Illinois".

I miss Wormy. I wish we could at least get a collection, but it seems that's not an option.


Grotnar wrote:

The TSR folk have said there was no connection. They were as surprised as anyone else when KQ made their announcement. But they decided to contact Wolfgang and he agreed. In fact this is one of several reasons mentioned for the somewhat late release.

Thanks for the correction! :thumbsup:


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

thejeff: At one point, TSR released a pack of CD's with the first 250 (I think) issues of Dragon (or The Dragon) in them. You can get all the Wormy's that way but it just stops mid-story; there's no conclusion or wrap-up.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Sir Jolt wrote:
thejeff: At one point, TSR released a pack of CD's with the first 250 (I think) issues of Dragon (or The Dragon) in them. You can get all the Wormy's that way but it just stops mid-story; there's no conclusion or wrap-up.

Good luck finding it. IIRC, tt was a VERY small print run, being released in the last days of TSR, and then it was recalled due to a lawsuit over rights to the KotDT strips, the settlement of which led to Kingdoms of Kalamar being an official D&D campaign setting for 3e. Right now it's going for $200 on eBay, or $250 still sealed.


Kvantum wrote:
Sir Jolt wrote:
thejeff: At one point, TSR released a pack of CD's with the first 250 (I think) issues of Dragon (or The Dragon) in them. You can get all the Wormy's that way but it just stops mid-story; there's no conclusion or wrap-up.
Good luck finding it. IIRC, tt was a VERY small print run, being released in the last days of TSR, and then it was recalled due to a lawsuit over rights to the KotDT strips, the settlement of which led to Kingdoms of Kalamar being an official D&D campaign setting for 3e. Right now it's going for $200 on eBay, or $250 still sealed.

I actually have it. Got if from a friend of mine with a bunch of his other D&D stuff a few years ago. I still want a nice glossy Wormy book. Hunting out a couple of pages an issue on a CD compilation isn't the same.

But it's just a dream.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
thejeff wrote:

I actually have it. Got if from a friend of mine with a bunch of his other D&D stuff a few years ago. I still want a nice glossy Wormy book. Hunting out a couple of pages an issue on a CD compilation isn't the same.

But it's just a dream.

That really would be great. It's too bad Trampier got fed up with the scene and split; his art was a very large influence on me while I was growing up, as was the Wormy comic.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Cards, Companion, Maps, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
thejeff wrote:
Kvantum wrote:
Sir Jolt wrote:
thejeff: At one point, TSR released a pack of CD's with the first 250 (I think) issues of Dragon (or The Dragon) in them. You can get all the Wormy's that way but it just stops mid-story; there's no conclusion or wrap-up.
Good luck finding it. IIRC, tt was a VERY small print run, being released in the last days of TSR, and then it was recalled due to a lawsuit over rights to the KotDT strips, the settlement of which led to Kingdoms of Kalamar being an official D&D campaign setting for 3e. Right now it's going for $200 on eBay, or $250 still sealed.
I actually have it. Got if from a friend of mine with a bunch of his other D&D stuff a few years ago.

I've still got mine (purchased when it was originally released). It's handy - I was able to print out a few pages (one article) as a reference without having to play the game of scanning from the originals.


JohnF wrote:


thejeff wrote:


Kvantum wrote:


Sir Jolt wrote:

thejeff: At one point, TSR released a pack of CD's with the first 250 (I think) issues of Dragon (or The Dragon) in them. You can get all the Wormy's that way but it just stops mid-story; there's no conclusion or wrap-up.

Good luck finding it. IIRC, tt was a VERY small print run, being released in the last days of TSR, and then it was recalled due to a lawsuit over rights to the KotDT strips, the settlement of which led to Kingdoms of Kalamar being an official D&D campaign setting for 3e. Right now it's going for $200 on eBay, or $250 still sealed.

I actually have it. Got if from a friend of mine with a bunch of his other D&D stuff a few years ago.

I've still got mine (purchased when it was originally released). It's handy - I was able to print out a few pages (one article) as a reference without having to play the game of scanning from the originals.

I have mine as well. Bought it to avoid trashing my older dead tree magazines. I had heard about Kalamar and a suit, but I never really paid attention to it. Interesting.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Sir Jolt wrote:
It's nice to see Len Lakofka's name mentioned again. I still weep over the loss of the Wormy comic strip; the greatest strip to ever appear in a gaming mag. Don't imagine if we'll ever know why Dave Trampier went MIA; no point in asking his brother-in-law, Tom Wham (I've tried), the most info I ever got was "Illinois".

According to the last Dragon magazine Trampier was found, and made it emphatically known he does not want anything further to do with Wormy, the gaming industry, or the hobby in general, nor does he want to discuss any of his reasons for this stance, and would not take kindly to any further attempts to make contact with him.

Liberty's Edge

And it finally available here on Paizo.com :)

Gygax Magazine #1

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Compatible Products from Other Publishers / The new Gygax magazine with the cancellation of KQ All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.