Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Confused by magic weapon special ability costs


Rules Questions


How much do special abilities cost when adding to weapons? Is it the difference to the next "plus" up, or is it the listed value. In other words, is a +1 special ability like shock a 2,000gp cost to add to a +1 sword, or is it 5,685gp?

Example:
a +1 longsword would cost
15gp (sword)
300gp (mw)
2000gp +1 magic
for a total of 2,315gp

So far, so good.

How do special abilities work in? If I want to make the sword undead bane, does it cost an additional 2,000gp for a +1 special ability, or does it cost 8,000 (level 2 item) - 2,315 (existing sword) = 5,685gp more?


You're close; adding a +1 enchantment to a sword that already has a +1 enchantment on it would cost 6,000 gp.

So, following your example, a +1 longsword would cost 2,315 gp. A +2 longsword would cost 8,315 gp, so the difference is an even 6,000 gp. That would be your base cost.


Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, special abilities cost the same amount as an additional plus for the sword?

so:
a +1 shock longsword costs the same as a +2 longsword?

and

a +1 shock longsword of undead bane would cost the same as a +3 longsword?


yes, if both are +1 enchantments.
And a +2 shock longsword of undead bane would cost as a +4 weapon usw.
All in all you can got till +10 (+5 enhancement and +5 in special abilities)


Thanks :)

This clears up some confusion at our table where some folks were thinking that special abilities cost their actual table values, rather than the difference in cost to the next plus value. Much appreciated.


If You look at
Magical Weapons from Core
Magical Weapons from APG

You'll notice that MOST of them have a price of a +1 or +2 or +3 enchant, simply add that enchant onto the weapon to find the new total price (a +2 flaming longsword that gets speed would be priced as a +6 weapon)

Do note that there are 2 weapon enchant in APG that has a fixed price, dueling and Transformative, These enchants do not add to the total + enhancement of a weapon, they simply cost the Fixed price, no matter what the weapon cost (still needs to be a +1 or better weapon)

Liberty's Edge

Note that there are a few other sources of set price weapon enhancements, like Adaptive for composite bows from UE, in addition to the ones mentioned by Mucronis.

And armor and shields work under the same set of rules, but have a lot more set price enhancements available.


Chris P. Bacon wrote:

You're close; adding a +1 enchantment to a sword that already has a +1 enchantment on it would cost 6,000 gp.

So, following your example, a +1 longsword would cost 2,315 gp. A +2 longsword would cost 8,315 gp, so the difference is an even 6,000 gp. That would be your base cost.

Actually this is not quite right either. A +1 longsword would cost 1,315gp to make, not 2,315gp. When making magic items you only spend half the base price, plus the cost of the item being enchanted, in this case a masterwork longsword costing 315gp.

Adding a +1 equivalent special ability to a +1 weapon would require spending 3,000gp. Adding a second +1 ability would require spending an additional 5,000gp. For instance: buying a +1 keen, spell storing long sword would cost 18,315gp if you could find one for sale. Making it yourself would cost a total of 9,315gp.

Liberty's Edge

Firelock wrote:
Chris P. Bacon wrote:

You're close; adding a +1 enchantment to a sword that already has a +1 enchantment on it would cost 6,000 gp.

So, following your example, a +1 longsword would cost 2,315 gp. A +2 longsword would cost 8,315 gp, so the difference is an even 6,000 gp. That would be your base cost.

Actually this is not quite right either. A +1 longsword would cost 1,315gp to make, not 2,315gp. When making magic items you only spend half the base price, plus the cost of the item being enchanted, in this case a masterwork longsword costing 315gp.

Adding a +1 equivalent special ability to a +1 weapon would require spending 3,000gp. Adding a second +1 ability would require spending an additional 5,000gp. For instance: buying a +1 keen, spell storing long sword would cost 18,315gp if you could find one for sale. Making it yourself would cost a total of 9,315gp.

NOte: This post was written assumingf the costs were for crafting the weapon yourself, not buying an enhancement from an NPC to your weapon. And that your PC has the time needed to do the enchanting themself.

And doesn't include all the confusing additional information needed on things like the Spellcraft checks (and modifiers to the target DC thereof) needed to successfully enchant an item.


kinevon wrote:
Firelock wrote:
Chris P. Bacon wrote:

You're close; adding a +1 enchantment to a sword that already has a +1 enchantment on it would cost 6,000 gp.

So, following your example, a +1 longsword would cost 2,315 gp. A +2 longsword would cost 8,315 gp, so the difference is an even 6,000 gp. That would be your base cost.

Actually this is not quite right either. A +1 longsword would cost 1,315gp to make, not 2,315gp. When making magic items you only spend half the base price, plus the cost of the item being enchanted, in this case a masterwork longsword costing 315gp.

Adding a +1 equivalent special ability to a +1 weapon would require spending 3,000gp. Adding a second +1 ability would require spending an additional 5,000gp. For instance: buying a +1 keen, spell storing long sword would cost 18,315gp if you could find one for sale. Making it yourself would cost a total of 9,315gp.

NOte: This post was written assumingf the costs were for crafting the weapon yourself, not buying an enhancement from an NPC to your weapon. And that your PC has the time needed to do the enchanting themself.

And doesn't include all the confusing additional information needed on things like the Spellcraft checks (and modifiers to the target DC thereof) needed to successfully enchant an item.

Ok I understand now. Though it may be nitpicking at this point, paying an NPC to craft something for you should probably cost the price of the enchanting plus the wages of the NPC, including paying any spellcasting they need to do during creation. But I do see that the OP was looking at the magic weapons table as if someone other than himself was doing it. Oops!


Firelock wrote:
Adding a +1 equivalent special ability to a +1 weapon would require spending 3,000gp. Adding a second +1 ability would require spending an additional 5,000gp. For instance: buying a +1 keen, spell storing long sword would cost 18,315gp if you could find one for sale. Making it yourself would cost a total of 9,315gp.

Hoookay, resurrecting this thread because I STILL don't get it.

I have a +1 sword that I already own; I want to add a +1-equivalent enchantment to it (Bane, Ghost Touch, Shock, whatever). What is the retail cost of that upgrade--not buying the sword all over again, not making it myself--just changing it from +1 to +1/Shock?

I've seen some say "2000 gp" and some say "8000 gp" and some say the difference, 6000 gp. I have NO idea where an answer of "3000 gp" could come from.

Please clarify!


The table here may be helpful.

In short, a weapon's enhancement cost can be calculated this way: take the total enhancement bonus, including special abilities. Square it. Multiply the number you get by 2,000.

Your +1 sword would cost 2,000 gold plus the cost of a masterwork weapon. A +2 sword would be 8,000. You would pay the difference if you wanted to upgrade it, or 6,000 gp.

If you wanted to buy a +2 weapon, no preexisting weapon, it would be 8,000 gp.

The "3,000" gp is the crafting cost to upgrade it. If you craft a magic item, such as the upgrade yourself, it costs half market price.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It's 6000gp. A +1 costs 2000gp, +2 costs 8000gp, you substitute the +1 value (2k) for the first 2k of the 8k, thus getting the 6k gp.


So, the enhancements that count as +1 have a cost AS IF you were adding another +1 to the weapon, correct? And ditto for +2 enhancements like Holy, etc.


Correct.


OK, guess what I've been doing wrong for months! *chuckle*

Thanks for the info.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Confused by magic weapon special ability costs All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.