Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

What happens if a vamipre is reduced to negative hitpoints?


Rules Questions


When a vamipre reaches 0 HP it assumes Gaseous Form... What happens if it is reduced form 1 to -X HP in one Hit? Does ist just regenerate until it asumes gaseous form?? That seems not very logical given the fact that at 0 HP it must go to its coffin to recover.
Even if it did regenerate it would never hit exactly 0 in most of the cases. (e.g. having -1 Hitpoint and +4 the next round).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
Songoman wrote:

When a vamipre reaches 0 HP it assumes Gaseous Form... What happens if it is reduced form 1 to -X HP in one Hit? Does ist just regenerate unit it asumes gaseous form?? That seems not very logical given the fact that at 0 HP it must go to its coffin to recover.

Even if it did regenerate it would never hit exactly 0 in most of the cases. (e.g. having -1 Hitpoint and +4 the next round).

The Vampire will not go below 0 hp. Even if AM BARBARIAN unleashes a 432-damage mega swing into a Vampire that had a mere 1 hp left, all he will do is to drop Vampy to zero, and gaseous.


Midnight_Angel wrote:
Songoman wrote:

When a vamipre reaches 0 HP it assumes Gaseous Form... What happens if it is reduced form 1 to -X HP in one Hit? Does ist just regenerate unit it asumes gaseous form?? That seems not very logical given the fact that at 0 HP it must go to its coffin to recover.

Even if it did regenerate it would never hit exactly 0 in most of the cases. (e.g. having -1 Hitpoint and +4 the next round).

The Vampire will not go below 0 hp. Even if AM BARBARIAN unleashes a 432-damage mega swing into a Vampire that had a mere 1 hp left, all he will do is to drop Vampy to zero, and gaseous.

Thanks for the answer. Is this substantiated in the rules somewhere (I got some very rules conscious players)? I guess I will handle it this way if it is not, but will get some discussions later.

Sovereign Court

It's mentioned under the Weaknesses that, "Reducing a vampire's hit points to 0 or lower incapacitates it but doesn't always destroy it (see fast healing)."

That combined with the rest of the line from Defensive Abilities, "Additional damage dealt to a vampire forced into gaseous form has no effect."

So you hit them to 0 hit points and damage on them stops, they gaseous and now have a timer to get back to a coffin.


Morgen wrote:
It's mentioned under the Weaknesses that, "Reducing a vampire's hit points to 0 or lower incapacitates it but doesn't always destroy it (see fast healing)."

I dunno. The "not always" seems to indicate that sometimes it might actually be destroyed that way.

I assume this part refers to the fact that usually undead are destroyed once they reach 0 HPs, and the vampire is an exception to this.

Obviously as undead vampires don't have a Con score, so there's no real threshhold at which they would die otherwise. So yes, maybe you're right and thats actually how it works.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / What happens if a vamipre is reduced to negative hitpoints? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.