Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Blood Omen


GM Feedback


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Alright.

Who on the design team came up with that name of the mythic vampire's ranged blood drain ability? Give them a damned pat on the back and a high-five for me. That brought such a smile to my face.

Vae Victus.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It also reminds me of Alucards "soul steal" from SotN.

Andoran

I believe Wes stated he designed the Mythic Vampire.


Gotta love Wes.

Andoran

You do. Who else would come up such such a wonderful concept?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

It's certainly the most Dracula-worthy vampire template out there yet.

THIS is the sort of vampire you want at the top tower of Castlevania. :)


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mikaze wrote:

It's certainly the most Dracula-worthy vampire template out there yet.

THIS is the sort of vampire you want at the top tower of Castlevania. :)

Almost! I still think it may offer a little too little, offensively speaking. Defensively it's pretty damn good.

I'm going to playtest it this weekend, but in the meantime, I'm going to post some off-the-cuff changes in the other mythic vampire thread soon.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Oh how I miss the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver games. ^^

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Me to. They are cheap on whatever playstation network is. I have them on my PSP and still play them time to time.


Vae Victis!

Only, the Overcome Weakness ability should work differently. First, it's gained too early; few of even the most powerful Vampires were unharmed by sunlight in Soul Reaver... but inspiration aside, I think it's also bad for the game itself, and for the concept of Vampire (predator of the night). Second, it should start from resisting a few more rounds to sunlight exposure and finish as a total immunity, not just jump to an "immunity with some side effects" from the beginning and remain as such forever after.

Shadow Lodge

I agree. I maybe something like 1 full Round per Mythic tier per day, until the later tiers where it weakens them, (Light Sensetivity and partially blinded so they can only see 30ft like the Oracle Curse), and then full Immunity at 10 (though they stil might need to stay out of direct sunight, in shade, in full clothing, or indoors).

Honestly, even total immunity shouldn't really be full imunity, but maybe something more similar to a Lich, so if they are "destroyed" in direct sunlight they are actually Dstroyed (as Undead).


Astral Wanderer wrote:

Vae Victis!

Only, the Overcome Weakness ability should work differently. First, it's gained too early; few of even the most powerful Vampires were unharmed by sunlight in Soul Reaver... but inspiration aside, I think it's also bad for the game itself, and for the concept of Vampire (predator of the night). Second, it should start from resisting a few more rounds to sunlight exposure and finish as a total immunity, not just jump to an "immunity with some side effects" from the beginning and remain as such forever after.

Nauseated + no fast healing + 10 points of damage per turn of exposure... hardly an immunity if you ask me. It's just a swap from instakill to "you're still completely screwed but may have a chance to run away". It definitely doesn't damage the idea that vampires are creatures of the night.

Also, this.


if you do not mind I take this opportunity to ask if this build is possible: inspired in Alucard from Hellsing, Mythic Human Vampire rank 10/Gunslinger level 20/ Champion tier 10. There is any conflict between been Champion and Mythic vampire?


edduardco wrote:
if you do not mind I take this opportunity to ask if this build is possible: inspired in Alucard from Hellsing, Mythic Human Vampire rank 10/Gunslinger level 20/ Champion tier 10. There is any conflict between been Champion and Mythic vampire?

I honestly have no idea.

I wouldn't pen Alucard as a Gunslinger, though - his pistols were a very recent thing for him, and he only used them on small fry enemies, part of him limiting himself. Also, it seems to me his build should be much more complex than straight 20 levels in any class.


amorangias wrote:


Nauseated + no fast healing + 10 points of damage per turn of exposure... hardly an immunity if you ask me. It's just a swap from instakill to "you're still completely screwed but may have a chance to run away". It definitely doesn't damage the idea that vampires are creatures of the night.

Also, this.

Pardon, for some reason I totally missed the 10 damage per turn thing. In fact it seemed absurd to me that they could get no damage from their greatest weakness in a so early tier.

In the light of that, the matter changes drastically.
Still, though, maybe they get the thing too early, and I think it should be able to improve, perhaps up to reducing the damage to 1 per round of exposure, and perhaps by making some optional choice rather than being a fixed ability for every Mythic Vampire.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Older Products / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Mythic Adventures Playtest / GM Feedback / Blood Omen All Messageboards

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.