Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Mythic Paths Impressions and Suggestions


Player Feedback


So far so good but there are things that, after the initial reading, don't exactly seem to fit.

Champion's Path Ability Perfect Strike has to be renamed. There is already a feat of the same name.

All the abilities that deal with familiars/eidolons/animal companions probably would fare better as universal path abilities instead of being path-specific. Why, for example, Guardian and Hierophant can have Beast Fury and Mythic Companion while others can't? There is great probability that Archmage is a wizard with Improved Familiar or Champion is a Ranger with animal companion - both would benefit greatly from those abilities.

For reasons unknown Champion ended with two path abilities that would suit the Guardian equally or more - Stanch Wounds and To The Death. Another Champion ability that could suit Guardian well is Armor Master.

Why Archmage, Champion and Hierophant can't pick additional 1st level abilities as a path abilities like Guardian, Marshal or Trickster?

A few more path abilities look like they could be universal path abilities: Itemcraft, Unwavering Skill.

Now, returning to reading the rest.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Don't forget

this feat:
Dual Path (Mythic)
You excel in many areas, allowing you to select path abilities from two mythic paths.
Prerequisite: 1st mythic tier.
Benefit: Select a mythic path, other than the path you selected at your moment of ascension (see page 3). You gain the 1st level ability of that path (archmage arcana, champion strike, divine surge, guardian’s call, marshal’s order, or trickster attack). Whenever you gain a path ability, you can select from list of abilities presented for both paths, as well as from the list of universal path abilities.
It makes it a lot easier to get some of the abilities you complain about not having access to.


This feat make sense when you want to get power that fits another path's theme. Nothing in the guardian path's theme makes it more suitable for companion-related abilities than champion or archmage. If all those abilities were restricted to Marshal path then it would be reasonable solution. Now it is quite arbitrary.


My first impression is that the abilities are not balanced to each other. 1 mythic point can get me an auto-20 to 1 skill check... or a free 1-level metamagic feat for 10 rounds... or a simultaneous melee attack on everything within 60 feet.

My second impression is that there's too much accounting and not enough myth. Mythic spells, forex; I have to spend a mythic trait /and/ 1 of a very limited # of mythic spell slots /and/ a mythic point (when I'm already hemorrhaging those things like water) to cast a mythic version of a spell, and really, most of the real 'bring the thunder' castings of mythic spells want /further/ amounts of mythic points spent during casting, like Mythic Sleep?

Man. My first thoughts are 'balance out the abilities and feats next to each other a little and make them slightly more impressive', 'stop making almost everything cost a mythic point to use', and 'make the mythic point pool refresh per encounter, not per day'.

From the promo material I was expecting 'immunity to some rules'. Instead, what I seem to be getting is 'very limited moments of being maybe immune to a rule, but nothing huge'.

Now, some of the 'default' mythic abilities that you get at various tiers are nice; I like those. Likewise, a lot of the universals. And champion is borged out. Guardian too, to an extent.

But man, so far its not looking fun to be a mythic spellcaster.

Star Voter 2013

Chuckg wrote:
But man, so far its not looking fun to be a mythic spellcaster.

Endless Power. Seriously, consider just what you can do with that. Unlimited supply of 1st - 3rd spells (at 6th - 8th Tier). It may seem weak when you're between 12th and 16th level, but choosing the right spells for those infinite slots can make a world of difference.

As a Wizard, for example, why would your Party ever be visible short of combat? You have Infinite Invisibility. Or Resist Energy. Think about that one. The ENTIRE party gets Resistance 30 to every. Single. Element. All because you have Infinite Resist Energy.

Component Power is like a FREE Still/Silent Spell or False Focus, but better. Cast Silence on yourself, and then use Component Power to remove the Verbal part from any Spell. Go stand next to the enemy caster and watch him rage! If you're grappled, now it no longer has a Somatic component. Take it twice, and every spell is both Stilled and Silent!

Unfortunately, Arcane casters get all the fun. Sorry Divine peoples!

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Tels wrote:
Chuckg wrote:
But man, so far its not looking fun to be a mythic spellcaster.

Endless Power. Seriously, consider just what you can do with that. Unlimited supply of 1st - 3rd spells (at 6th - 8th Tier). It may seem weak when you're between 12th and 16th level, but choosing the right spells for those infinite slots can make a world of difference.

As a Wizard, for example, why would your Party ever be visible short of combat? You have Infinite Invisibility. Or Resist Energy. Think about that one. The ENTIRE party gets Resistance 30 to every. Single. Element. All because you have Infinite Resist Energy.

Component Power is like a FREE Still/Silent Spell or False Focus, but better. Cast Silence on yourself, and then use Component Power to remove the Verbal part from any Spell. Go stand next to the enemy caster and watch him rage! If you're grappled, now it no longer has a Somatic component. Take it twice, and every spell is both Stilled and Silent!

Unfortunately, Arcane casters get all the fun. Sorry Divine peoples!

Unlimited Fractions of heal and harm and Unlimited fireballs, hmm tempting (With Fey Foundling).


Oh, Endless Power looks to be worth buying. Endless Power seems to be the /only/ archmage or hierophant ability that really looks to be worth buying.

That's the problem. It means the rest ain't.

And you can't get it until Mythic Tier 6 anyway, so, that's a lot of mythic you slogged through already without it.

Star Voter 2013

Dylos wrote:
Tels wrote:
Chuckg wrote:
But man, so far its not looking fun to be a mythic spellcaster.

Endless Power. Seriously, consider just what you can do with that. Unlimited supply of 1st - 3rd spells (at 6th - 8th Tier). It may seem weak when you're between 12th and 16th level, but choosing the right spells for those infinite slots can make a world of difference.

As a Wizard, for example, why would your Party ever be visible short of combat? You have Infinite Invisibility. Or Resist Energy. Think about that one. The ENTIRE party gets Resistance 30 to every. Single. Element. All because you have Infinite Resist Energy.

Component Power is like a FREE Still/Silent Spell or False Focus, but better. Cast Silence on yourself, and then use Component Power to remove the Verbal part from any Spell. Go stand next to the enemy caster and watch him rage! If you're grappled, now it no longer has a Somatic component. Take it twice, and every spell is both Stilled and Silent!

Unfortunately, Arcane casters get all the fun. Sorry Divine peoples!

Unlimited Fractions of heal and harm and Unlimited fireballs, hmm tempting (With Fey Foundling).

Makes me want to play a Wizard that took the Split Slot Arcane Discovery a few times to really pad those three levels of spells.

Star Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I kind of find myself wishing there were no paths, but just Mythic abilities, and players could mix and match as they wish.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Older Products / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Mythic Adventures Playtest / Player Feedback / Mythic Paths Impressions and Suggestions All Messageboards
Recent threads in Player Feedback

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.