Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Permanently killing an enemy?


Advice

1 to 50 of 64 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

I am looking for a way to permanently kill an enemy. I am level 16 antipaladin and have run into the issue of an enemy getting true resurrected when I kill him. Its only 25k.

So far, I have concluded my best bet is to res the enemy as an undead.

Any other ideas?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Polymorph him into a goldfish. Take very good care of your new pet.

Have a cacodaemon eat his soul and produce a gem. Then carve it into your personal symbol. Take very good care of your new signet ring.

Get a friendly wizard to put him in temporal stasis and hide him on a warded chamber somewhere very far away.

Tempt him into signing a contract with Asmodeus, and let the Prince of Devils take care of holding onto the soul for you. Don't tell Asmodeus about the "for you" part of it.

Find out who keeps resurrecting him. Kill that person. Or take their daughter hostage and tell them that the next resurrection attempt had better result in "he didn't want to come back" if they ever want to see their daughter again. Twirl your mustaches a lot.

Find a wizard who can cast trap the soul and have him use it. Then give the gem to Tiamat and tell her it's a present for her hoard.

Trick the enemy into going through a gate to the Plane of NPC Slaying, perhaps with an illusion of you running through it. Then close the gate and leave them there. The Plane Of No Magic is another favorite for this sort of thing, or the Plane Of Really Different Time Flow.


tonyz wrote:

Polymorph him into a goldfish. Take very good care of your new pet.

Have a cacodaemon eat his soul and produce a gem. Then carve it into your personal symbol. Take very good care of your new signet ring.

Get a friendly wizard to put him in temporal stasis and hide him on a warded chamber somewhere very far away.

Tempt him into signing a contract with Asmodeus, and let the Prince of Devils take care of holding onto the soul for you. Don't tell Asmodeus about the "for you" part of it.

Find out who keeps resurrecting him. Kill that person. Or take their daughter hostage and tell them that the next resurrection attempt had better result in "he didn't want to come back" if they ever want to see their daughter again. Twirl your mustaches a lot.

Find a wizard who can cast trap the soul and have him use it. Then give the gem to Tiamat and tell her it's a present for her hoard.

Trick the enemy into going through a gate to the Plane of NPC Slaying, perhaps with an illusion of you running through it. Then close the gate and leave them there. The Plane Of No Magic is another favorite for this sort of thing, or the Plane Of Really Different Time Flow.

1. Interesting solution. Sadly I don't have polymorph and a paladin is going to make his save against that anyway.

2. You can rez someone in a soul gem, its just a competing caster level check against the cacodeamon, which will be impossible for the rezer to fail.

3.Sadly no wizards in the party.

4. Blackmail I like.

5. Even if I get the enemy on the plane of No Magic, if he dies there isn't anything to stop someone from true Resurrection him.


You may have to capture him and then have a minion throw spells at him until he rolls a natural 1 on the save.


There is an item, some kind of needle which can be placed in the heart of the corpse. If someone tries to bring him back he dies again because of the needle in his heart. But I didn't see it since the D20pfsrd site has the new subcategories for equipment

And I think there are some spells that do just what you want: Prevent the resurrection of the target.

But most likely turning him into some powerless form of undead might be the savest bet.
Turn him into a skeleton, cast protection from fire on him and cast him into a slab of metal. Use this slab of metal as the altar in some temple so that the clerics protect it. This way the skeleton can't escape nor can it be destroyed easily or be detected by detect undead (the metal should stop that).


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Wouldn't simply burning the corpse do the trick, or do the remaining ashes count as "part of the body"? I can see that the trail of dust left over from a disintegrate spell does count as "part of the body" for the purpose of a resurrection spell, so that is probably the case. However, this is only an issue if anyone ever finds those ashes ;)
Kill. Burn. Hide ashes or spread them in the ocean.

Hyenas eat everything including the bones, maybe Gnolls do as well? In that case, feed him to the first hyena or Gnoll you run into.

EDIT: Stupid me didn't read properly, neither of these work agains true resurrection. My bad.

Shadow Lodge Star Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

1 person marked this as a favorite.

A bag of devouring has a 50% chance to prevent that creature from ever being raised by mortal magics. Stick his body in it. Then, if he comes back kill him and stick his body in it again. he will eventually stop coming back.


Swamp him with weak undead 'till he's out of channels, then send in the Shadows. Once he's become a Shadow, keep him very very safe :-).

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Sphere of annihilation.


I thought this was what Flesh to Stone was for? It doesn't actually kill him, so he can't be resurrected. Does mean you need to hide the statue.

Trap his soul, then sell the soul to a demon lord strong enough to hold onto it? If he's powerful enough to warrant TRezzing, he's bound to be worth something. Worst case, the demon lord tortures your enemy's soul to the point where he's no use anymore if rezzed.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

1) Cacodaemon to create soul gem
2) Give soul gem to Charon
3) Celebrate

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What was it again? Flesh to stone, stone to mud, purify water and then something...

Dark Archive

Thanks to all of mythology which inspires the rules, it is impossible to absolutely prevent someone from coming back from the dead or dead-like state. There is always something that will bring someone back. The more you try to make it impossible, the more absolutely certain it is someone in the future will eventually bring the bad guy back. How many stories are exactly that? Long dead/imprisoned BBEG is brought back, or nearly brought back, by a cult stories are almost cliche.

Your best bet is to just kill the bad guy, and then attempt to erase him from the memory of the population so no one knows to rez him or look for his petrified/trapped remains.

Shadow Lodge Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Well, in this case the OP is the bad guy, trying to get rid of an annoying paladin ;)


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Capture, then Heal check to Lobotomize him.


Hit him with a Geas to go farm. If you can't kill them, make them irrelevant.


I think the solutions boil down to one of two solutions:

1) Don't kill him -- capture him and put him in a condition that his allies cannot cure remotely.

2) Kill the guy who keeps resurrecting him, then kill your enemy and hope he stays dead. Repeat until nobody is willing to resurrect that enemy.

Assistant Software Developer , Star Voter 2014

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Take a few levels in Assassin: They can make it harder for someone to be raised when they kill 'em.

Or, if you're playing in Golarion, hire the Red Mantis to kill him for you. They take professional pride in making sure raise dead is only a temporary fix. That is, they'll keep re-killing him, on the house. Possibly along with whoever raised him.


If he is a paladin and you are an antipaladin then you should be looking for ways to make him fall instead of killing him. Once he is fallen the tricks listed in earlier post become easy.


the trick is to drain there int to 0 then leave the comatose body in a safe location. ring of sustenance and a soft bed is all you really need. as a paladin he will have great saves, but you should be able to cast bestow curse enough times to nuke his int to 0 on a roll of 1.

i mean who has a pally with higher then a 10 int?


this is why I have taken all resurrect and reincarnate spells out of my game.

I give players hero points and the ability to heal from death for a short time after death but if that fails only direct divine intervention will bring the person back... in other words impossible unless the party goes on a long quest or a god owes them a big enough favor to go through the process of pissing off Pharasma.

having said that I love the idea of hiring the Red Mantis Assassins to make it their problem.

Another option could be to kill him... take the body, resurrect or reincarnate him him yourself, fun if you get a bad reincarnation. and basically place him in one of the irrelevant statuses mentioned above.

I dont think the soul has any knowledge of who is reincarnating him or why thus if he would accept a friends resurrection he would accept your own if he refuses he is likely to refuse any future resurrection.


Oh an idea just came to mind.

get some kind of spell or cursed item that causes greatly increased aging.

defeat the paladin, tie him/her up. place the cursed item of aging on them, wait for them to age to death.

not even true ress can bring some one back from death by old age.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Remove limbs, lobotomize, and hire a guard and caretaker.

Protect from scry, and be done.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16 , Star Voter 2013

Ring of regeneration + vat of acid. He's never dead, but always at neg Con hp.


Feed him to a soul eater.
Turn him, a new friend is allway's welcome.
Sacrifice him.


Killing is inferior to imprisoning. Find a nice dungeon spot, complete with defenses against teleportation and divination. If you still use 3.x level draining rules, summon a succubus or two to give him a hot date, complete with enough level draining to make him vulnerable to sleep or color spray before you toss him into his new home. Have her come back a time or two just to make sure he's still KO'd by color spray (which is a test to verify that he's not more than 2nd level).
Yes, you could also heap on the bestow curses and other debuffs, but this procedure is more or less SOP for long term incarceration of a high level person where you still want to be able to meaningfully monolog at them every so often.


Or just go along with whatever plotline your DM has in store for you fighting this jackass non stop and at every turn. Steal every drop of gold, and every useable magic item from his corpse every time, and anything you cant use, destroy it!!!!. Make as much profit as you can off of him, both xp and gold wise, and make it that much more expensive for the dm to fund the BBGG(big bad GOOD guy).

Asta
PSY


EWHM wrote:

Killing is inferior to imprisoning. Find a nice dungeon spot, complete with defenses against teleportation and divination. If you still use 3.x level draining rules, summon a succubus or two to give him a hot date, complete with enough level draining to make him vulnerable to sleep or color spray before you toss him into his new home. Have her come back a time or two just to make sure he's still KO'd by color spray (which is a test to verify that he's not more than 2nd level).

Yes, you could also heap on the bestow curses and other debuffs, but this procedure is more or less SOP for long term incarceration of a high level person where you still want to be able to meaningfully monolog at them every so often.

How would I stop him from being spotted by divination? If the enemy has access to True Ressurection, they will definitely have discern location.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
johnlocke90 wrote:
EWHM wrote:

Killing is inferior to imprisoning. Find a nice dungeon spot, complete with defenses against teleportation and divination. If you still use 3.x level draining rules, summon a succubus or two to give him a hot date, complete with enough level draining to make him vulnerable to sleep or color spray before you toss him into his new home. Have her come back a time or two just to make sure he's still KO'd by color spray (which is a test to verify that he's not more than 2nd level).

Yes, you could also heap on the bestow curses and other debuffs, but this procedure is more or less SOP for long term incarceration of a high level person where you still want to be able to meaningfully monolog at them every so often.
How would I stop him from being spotted by divination? If the enemy has access to True Ressurection, they will definitely have discern location.

amulet?


Feed your enemy to a Daemon after killing him.

His soul will then be damned into oblivion forever.

Ross Byers wrote:

Take a few levels in Assassin: They can make it harder for someone to be raised when they kill 'em.

Or, if you're playing in Golarion, hire the Red Mantis to kill him for you. They take professional pride in making sure raise dead is only a temporary fix. That is, they'll keep re-killing him, on the house. Possibly along with whoever raised him.

Sounds like a good option, assuming you're willing to pay for such a service.


GeraintElberion wrote:
johnlocke90 wrote:
EWHM wrote:

Killing is inferior to imprisoning. Find a nice dungeon spot, complete with defenses against teleportation and divination. If you still use 3.x level draining rules, summon a succubus or two to give him a hot date, complete with enough level draining to make him vulnerable to sleep or color spray before you toss him into his new home. Have her come back a time or two just to make sure he's still KO'd by color spray (which is a test to verify that he's not more than 2nd level).

Yes, you could also heap on the bestow curses and other debuffs, but this procedure is more or less SOP for long term incarceration of a high level person where you still want to be able to meaningfully monolog at them every so often.
How would I stop him from being spotted by divination? If the enemy has access to True Ressurection, they will definitely have discern location.
amulet?

I am guessing you haven't actually read discern location.


I change my recommendation to part of a human centipede. You're evil right?


tonyz wrote:

Find out who keeps resurrecting him. Kill that person. Or take their daughter hostage and tell them that the next resurrection attempt had better result in "he didn't want to come back" if they ever want to see their daughter again. Twirl your mustaches a lot.

Not a bad idea, but the problem is, a high level paladin is likely to have a pretty massive support system, like "an entire church" or "a major kingdom". Taking out the support might not be practical.

Unless you decide to let out your inner super villain.

Step 1: Use illusion magic to make you look like him
Step 2: Commit a series of horrible crimes while looking like him. Murder, burn, slaughter temple acolytes, desecrate the temples, torture, maim, and loot, and always leave a few survivors as witnesses.
Step 3: At the same time, have a bard or rogue or someone like that plant and spread the rumor that your enemy has fallen to the dark side and is now a horrific and terrible anti-paladin. Nobody will doubt it if you've done step 2 properly.
Step 4: Now that the paladin is hated, feared, and friendless, NOW you kill him. No one will bother to raise him.

Star Voter 2013

I thought I had replied to this yesterday, but guess not...

True ressurection is intentionally very hard to beat.

If you have the money for it, buy an iron circlet of guarded souls and keep it around for the next time you kill him. Put it on his head, have someone flesh to stone him and then stone shape the statue form so that it appears more innocuous and less likely to be dispelled, destroyed or restored. Have it stored in a safe location, preferably one that is on another plane to make limited wish and wish less likely to reach him either.

Other options:

You may also want to put the word out that you'd like to rent a space in someone's Mirror of Life Trapping or acquire one yourself. They aren't dead, but would be out of the way.

Maybe pay someone to limited wish or wish them into the far future.

Petrify, Polymorph or some other "you aren't dead, but are out of the picture" spell options as mentioned up-thread.

Beat them down, but stabilize them at negatives and then put on and take off of their head a Helm of Opposite Alignment until it no longer radiates magic (ie they've failed their save and have now shifted alignments). Offer them a way to get far far away from their former allies or recruit them as a cohort for more delicious irony.

Find a way to kill them from aging attacks (True Res specifies it doesn't bring back those who die from old age). A Bythos Aeon or 3PP Time Elemental are the two examples I can think off of the top of my head. If you can find a plane where time runs at a vastly different rate and toss them in there, that may work as well.

-TimD


To block discern location you need an 8th level or higher counter divination. Mind blank is listed as an option, but I suspect most campaign worlds have additional spells available for this purpose besides mind blank (blocking divinations is actually only the secondary purpose of that spell, but it's the most important from a world-building standpoint).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
johnlocke90 wrote:

I am looking for a way to permanently kill an enemy. I am level 16 antipaladin and have run into the issue of an enemy getting true resurrected when I kill him. Its only 25k.

So far, I have concluded my best bet is to res the enemy as an undead.

Any other ideas?

Have merciful added to your weapon. The next time you beat him down, do it with nonlethal damage and capture him. Have him turned into the undead of your choice at your leasure. Enough bites or level drains etc will make him one in captivity.

Then flesh to stone him. It will take you hiring a wizard but eventually he will fail his save.

Once he is a statue put a non detection item on him and submerge the paladin into a vat of lead and let it harden around him. Lead blocks most divinations and it's melting point is low enough to not harm stone so no chance of accidentally destroying the statue.

If your GM allows custom magic items, get an amulet of Mind Block made and put that on the statue instead of the non decection item.

Seal the lead block in an adamantium casket which is welded shut. Then use 'Imprisonment' on the result in a temple of your evil god. Then cast a permanencied Anti Magic spehere on the spot of entombment. Then have workmen raise the floor about 6 feet with additional dirt, so the actual spot where the spell was cast is below the earth. Seal with Granite flooring, coated on the bottom in lead.

Use alarm spells on the area so any non authorised personel who enter it alerts you immediately.

Good luck.


The only way to counter True Resurrection is to contain or destroy the target's soul.


Not as skilled with the rules as others are, but reading the spell it doesn't say where they are resurrected to. If they are resurrected where their remains lay, I would take an immovable rod, attach the darn thing to his spine just in between the shoulder blade area (easier if he's made into a skeleton in some way) and press the button.

This assumes that he is resurrected around or along with his remains, but having a switched on immovable rod attached to the inside of ones spine while lying down would not only be uncomfortable it would probably be a pain in the back to move.


If you go the way of discrediting him you could use abilities that make him radiate evil on him now and then combined with spreading the rumor that he's really evil but masking it with magic.

One of the level 1 bloodline powers makes the target shaken without a save and he radiates evil for the duration.

Or trick him into eating stuff made by a with with cook people. While it is only an evil act to eat that if you know it in advance others might think different about it. "Are you sure he didn't know in advance what he was just eating? Come on can yourisk him really being an evil cannibal?"


tridiak wrote:
The only way to counter True Resurrection is to contain or destroy the target's soul.

And like I said, the best way to do that is either by trapping him in a Soul Gem, or feeding his soul to a Daemon.

Then again, if you have the resources, summon a very powerful Soul Eater and make sure the thing manages to kill him.

Scarab Sages

If it was plain old resurrection, I'd say 'Green slime. Done.'

But true resurrection only has a few ways around it.

A) Make it so he can't be clearly named or identified.
B) Age him to death.
C) Trap / destroy his soul.
D) Make him not *want* to be returned to life (by arranging horrible consequences to something/one/place he cares about if he does, or by making the afterlife / consequences of his being dead preferable to coming back to life, or just flat out screwing with his mind).

Obfuscate knowledge of his name, time/place of birth, circumstances of death, famous or infamous deeds, etc. attributing them to someone else, or just deleting them entirely, from altering written records to erasing or modifying memories of those who knew him (and then flat out kill them anyway, so that even if someone resurrects his mother, to find out his name, she won't remember having a son...).

For added maliciousness, alter the records in such a way that the true resurrection *does* work, but ends up resurrecting one of his other hated enemies that he beat a long time ago (and whom your altered 'history' now remembers his name and birth / death circumstances).

The ultimate 'replacement killer' would be to capture him, make a duplicate of him that is loyal to you, kill that duplicate and spread the rumor that the target has died again, leaving behind the duplicate's body as proof. One expensive resurrection later, your manchurian candidate is now living his life (who would expect the dude they *raised from the dead* to be an imposter?), while the real person, who never even died, is still stuck in your pocket, after you flesh-to-stoned and permanant shrink-itemed him, and are using him as a handkerchief.

Or just wish up a terrible curse, like 'Every time you return to life, your blood must pay the price, as a number of members of your family who equal your accomplishments must give up their own lives, or the spell fails. You may choose to spare one or more members of your family this fate, but your own personal power will diminish if the deeds of the sacrificed family members do not equal your own.' (Game mechanic - members of your direct family receive an ominous feeling when magic would restore you to life, and if a number of Hit Dice of them equal to your own HD / character level aren't willing to give their lives to restore yours, you come back with only the number of character levels of those who *did* agree to sacrifice themselves. If that number is zero, you don't come back at all....)

Or there's the gypsy curse. Don't do something bad to him, do something *good* to him, that he won't *want* to undo. Wish that he finds eternal peace in paradise, is re-united with loved ones and honored ancestors *and* is fast-tracked to archon/angel/azata status, and that his character levels, personal gear / wealth and level-derived attribute bonuses are handed down to his descendents / loved ones.

If he is resurrected, he loses all that, and his descendents / loved ones are stripped of the boons they gained. Even better, the good cleric who cast the true resurrection is now responsible for *unmaking an angel.* That's gonna burn.


Charlie Bell wrote:
Ring of regeneration + vat of acid. He's never dead, but always at neg Con hp.

Oh that gives me an idea!

Put him in a box with a radioactive particle and a geiger counter hooked to release poisonous gas if it registers the particle decaying.
Problem solved.


Set wrote:
B) Age him to death.

Aging him to death is probably no good as well. Druid reincarnate makes you a young adult again and a wish or miracle afterwards can restore your original likeness and form at the reduced age again.

If they have True Res then they most likely have access to those as well.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Who knew it was so hard to keep a good man down?


TOZ wrote:
Who knew it was so hard to keep a good man down?

It's only hard when people ignore my advice and do something stupid.

Seriously, a person of his level should be able to find a daemon quite easily.


Make him an undead servant don't let anyone destroy him.

Sczarni

Ross Byers wrote:

Take a few levels in Assassin: They can make it harder for someone to be raised when they kill 'em.

Or, if you're playing in Golarion, hire the Red Mantis to kill him for you. They take professional pride in making sure raise dead is only a temporary fix. That is, they'll keep re-killing him, on the house. Possibly along with whoever raised him.

Isn't there a small group of female assassin monks in Golarion too that do the same? They are evil and burn the kill and keep them in jars in their monastaries if I remember correctly...

Edit: Quieting Needles were what someone earlier were thinking of. Its a Sleight of Hand check to hide them in internal organs so if the person gets rezzed the experience horrific pain and slowly die again if they don't get remove. Keep in mind also the person getting rezzed has to AGREE and WANT to get revived. If he keeps getting killed he may not want to keep going through that and not want to get rezzed any further...I'd talk to your GM about how that would play out.


You can revive someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. This spell can also resurrect elementals or outsiders, but it can't resurrect constructs or undead creatures.

Even true resurrection can't restore to life a creature who has died of old age.

So undead is a no-no. Thing is, reincarnate requires a part of body to cast upon(Target dead creature touched), so a combination of aging the target and stashing the body away seems pretty solid way to rid oneself of that pesky paladin.

Or, for that matter, so does aging him to death, burning and then scattering the ashes during a thunderstorm.


Create a whole horde of Simulacra of the Paladin and send them out to do very Evil things, in very public ways.
Eventually, no-one will want to resurrect him.

Sczarni

VRMH wrote:

Create a whole horde of Simulacra of the Paladin and send them out to do very Evil things, in very public ways.

Eventually, no-one will want to resurrect him.

Kill, Pillage and Rape in that order. I like it...this thread is turning creative!

1 to 50 of 64 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / Permanently killing an enemy? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.