Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Squire Herald: Legal?


Pathfinder Society® General Discussion

Taldor *

I assume that it's not since it's not listed as legal under the Knights of the Inner Sea section of additional resources, but I figured it was worth asking since Cavalier Orders were declared legal. This doesn't seem to be a game-breaking archetype.

Shadow Lodge *

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
RtrnofdMax wrote:
I assume that it's not since it's not listed as legal under the Knights of the Inner Sea section of additional resources, but I figured it was worth asking since Cavalier Orders were declared legal. This doesn't seem to be a game-breaking archetype.

I think the issue that prevents legality of the Squire Herald is this:

Squire Herald wrote:

Introduction (Ex)

At 1st level, whenever a herald squire tries to influence a creature's attitude with the Diplomacy skill for the first time, she may roll her Diplomacy check twice and take the best result. In addition, any improvement of a creature's attitude toward the herald squire also applies to her knight.

This ability replaces tactician.

Note the bolded part, if the Squire Herald is not a cohort, as the archetype is obviously intended for, who is the Squire's knight?

Taldor *

I am taking applications...

Taldor *

Dylos wrote:
RtrnofdMax wrote:

In addition, any improvement of a creature's attitude toward the herald squire also applies to her knight.

Note the bolded part, if the Squire Herald is not a cohort, as the archetype is obviously intended for, who is the Squire's knight?

Just a counterpoint for the purposes of conversation, not argument:

There is a legal Order option for Cavaliers in UC called Order of the Seal. It gives bonuses related to defending a magical object, location or person of interest. Who, what or where is this thing they have devoted themself to? The need to define something tangible and your relationship to it has been glossed over before.

Shadow Lodge *

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
RtrnofdMax wrote:
Dylos wrote:
RtrnofdMax wrote:

In addition, any improvement of a creature's attitude toward the herald squire also applies to her knight.

Note the bolded part, if the Squire Herald is not a cohort, as the archetype is obviously intended for, who is the Squire's knight?

Just a counterpoint for the purposes of conversation, not argument:

There is a legal Order option for Cavaliers in UC called Order of the Seal. It gives bonuses related to defending a magical object, location or person of interest. Who, what or where is this thing they have devoted themself to? The need to define something tangible and your relationship to it has been glossed over before.

Except that every time the Order of the Seal cavalier uses his Keeper ability he is free to choose a new Location or Secret to protect, and they have to explicitly state what they are defending for any bonus from Keeper to be valid. The Squire lists no rules for choosing her Knight.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Squire Herald: Legal? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.