Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Consumable Magic Items - For or Against?


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion

1 to 50 of 136 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

I just recently noticed something about my group that seems odd to me.

When anyone in my group makes a new character it is rare for them to buy any consumable magic items with their starting wealth.
If starting in the level 2-4 range AND there is no dedicated healer they just might buy a few potions of cure X wounds.

There have only been a very few exceptions. Know something will be needed (going to fight a city of lycanthropes so 1 scroll of remove disease at 12th level). The gunslinger made mithral bullets. The guy who was the wizard was going to buy a bunch of scrolls to add to his spell book (then we found several large ones to copy so it wasn’t necessary).

Even once we are playing and they have a chance at a ‘magic-mart,’ they still won’t buy consumables unless they are desperate. At 4th level no one would purchase a potion of lesser restoration even though almost every PC was down several in multiple abilities. They were going down farther every day from undead fights much faster than the paladin’s single spell and rest was gaining them.

An adventure had an almost full wand of greater magic weapon at 9th caster level for just over 2000 gps. But no one bought it. Even after it was explained that the wand would probably last them through several levels advancement. Several bought +1 weapons at the same shop for basically the same price.

Now the really funny thing is that I didn’t notice this attitude because I personally have always had it clear back to the blue boxed set. Up until recently the groups I played with always used to tease me about the fact that I made myself weaker and less likely to survive because I wouldn’t buy consumables. I even have a hard time forcing myself to use them when found. “I might need it more later.” So it never gets used and should have just been sold.

What about you? Do you and/or your group make effective use of consumables?
Or do you just sell them for a small amount cash to buy weaker permanent magic items?

Shadow Lodge

All the time. My Witch makes potions and wondrous item "spell crystals" that produce a spell effect when crushed or thrown, and the party makes pretty hefty use of them.

When I can afford it and they're available, I snag wands and scrolls for my characters with UMD, potions if I don't have it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Consumable items make up roughly 40% of the items that become available to the players in my games, and make up roughly 95% of the items that the players create for them self.


I understand the mindset of not buying consumables... once you use them, they are gone and so is your money.

In campaigns where the DM simply lets the PCs go shopping through the magic items lists, it is usually more cost effective to buy items that are either "always on" or produce an effect a number of times per day.

That being said, there are always consumables that fill a need that will not crop up every session. Wands and scrolls for very conditional spells are nice to have for those that can use them. Potions get more expensive, but can be used by anybody at need.

On a somewhat related note...

I have noticed in the game I am playing in right now a reluctance to buy anything that can be crafted by a party member. My wizard is the only crafter at the moment (Wondrous Items), but one of the members is going to be able craft magic arms and armor next level. The storyline is such that we have encounters pretty much on a daily basis, leading to us accumulating wealth faster than it can be crafted into useful items. Some players are simply sitting on thousands of GP (16,000+) waiting for me to get to thier orders rather than purchasing things that they could use immediately.

I saw immediately that I was going to be backlogged, so I charge PCs 60% of base price so that I can spend the extra 10% to buy items for my character that I have not had time to craft.


We never sell consumables that might be handy.

But people tend to forget items they don't use every encounter...

But I do buy the most essential potions like fly.

With page of spellknowledge - low level spells are easiere to get as a known spell for the partys spontaous casters - sp no need for endure elements - get it as a spell known instead.

Potion of lesser restoration - i buy them - I want around 10 - I insist - when the party needs them and they will - we have them.
Although after an encounter with like 6 clerics that all had several Pearls of power 1 - the paladin kinda takes care of our lesser resatoration needs...


Many players avoid consumables. I am a big fan of them from a game mechanics perspective, but whether or not my characters use them depends a lot on their personality. A very frugal character would avoid consumables because they would prefer a permanent solution. That's because they don't think of themselves as characters with a limited play availability or career. In reality, of course, I know that they will almost certainly get better value out of a wand than an item that provides the same ability permanently.

On occasion I build a concept around consumables. I usually refer to them as "Batman builds" and treat their consumables like a Batman utility belt. Such characters can be extremely powerful and versatile. But it's a mindset. I've had other players tell me that they are blown away by some of my Batman builds.

This is one reason I am so critical of Pathfinder's implementation of magic weapons and ammunition. One thing I really loved about 4e was the magic ammo implementation. You could do some amazing things with ammo in 4e. My 4e ranger was a Green Arrow/Batman hybrid character. He was awesome fun to play. I'd love to play a similar character in PF.

Qadira

I only buy critical reusables. 3-4 items.


I don't buy too many consumables myself, unless they're not overly expensive (I do always make sure to stock up on useful cheap alchemical goods like smokesticks, sunrods, tindertwigs, alchemists fire, tanglefoot bags, and acid), but I love to make creative use of them, and deciding when is a good situation to use any given item that I've picked up. By association I also love being given consumable stuff among treasure. (A GM giving me consumables removes the aspect of guilt I feel at buying something that I can't use forever.)

Knowing that I've only got one shot with it, or only a few, makes it more exciting when I find a way to use it, and its use works as I envision.

As a GM, I love handing out consumable items, or even non-consumable items that have effects that are neat-looking without being particularly powerful. As an example, I gave my newest party a bladed belt (one of the best treasure decisions I've ever made) from a merchant after they helped him out while at 1st level. That one single item accounted for half the gp value they would accumulate between 1st and 2nd level without being particularly powerful (i.e. potentially annoying for me), and they loved it (the entirety of the other 2000-ish gp they accumulated was potions, scrolls, alchemical items, and a single weapon, so almost all consumable stuff). They get far more excited about being provided with the tools to pull off neat tricks than they do about simply being able to optimize.

A simple +5 weapon is "meh" to them, while some tanglefoot bags and a box of alchemist's fire gets them extremely excited about how they're going to use their new toys. It makes creating treasure so much easier, since I know I can be creative in what I give them, and they'll still enjoy finding ways to put the most obscure items I can dig up to good use. (Also it helps me balance their power levels for those occasions when I occasionally treat them to a custom item of my own design.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I do not always have the cash for consumables at character creation, but almost all the parties I have been part of; if available; would by consumables. It never hurts to have some extra scrolls or potions around.


Dotting.


i don't really buy many consumables outside of the occasional low level wand. unless my character is built around them, but i do use looted consumables in emergences, especially with my 3/4 bab support martials.


Gluttony wrote:
...I love handing out consumable items... That one single item accounted for half the gp value they would accumulate between 1st and 2nd level without being particularly powerful (i.e. potentially annoying for me), and they loved it (the entirety of the other 2000-ish gp they accumulated was potions, scrolls, alchemical items, and a single weapon, so almost all consumable stuff). They get far more excited about being provided with the tools to pull off neat tricks than they do about simply being able to optimize... while some tanglefoot bags and a box of alchemist's fire gets them extremely excited about how they're going to use their new toys...

This is the kind of thing that made me finally realize this attitude in my group. They actually get irritated by a treasure trove with a bunch of consumables. They are likely to not even bother to pick up the alchemical items. They told me that it should be my responsibility as a GM to replace all that useless carp with decent magic items.

Surprised the heck out of me. I definitely have a stron tendancy toward permanent magic items. But they take it way beyond me.


Adamantine Dragon wrote:
... On occasion I build a concept around consumables. I usually refer to them as "Batman builds" and treat their consumables like a Batman utility belt. Such characters can be extremely powerful and versatile...

I did that once. It was very effective, but I found I didn't enjoy it as much long term.


At low level - you have so many things you really want - so I can rarely afford those alchemist fires - but I do miss them when the swarm comes - and there's always a swarm comming!

But it really depends on how item dependent your char is. Some really need all those AC items, and if saves are bad - that cloak of res can't wait. While other builds use natural weapons and can wear armor...


My players are consumable phobic but they're slowly catching on.

Shadow Lodge

Kydeem de'Morcaine wrote:
They told me that it should be my responsibility as a GM to replace all that useless carp with decent magic items.

........ wat.


For consumables within reason.

The math is really built on expectations of certain items at certain times and excessive consumable purchasing and crafting can really screw with that equation.

For critical items though like wands of CLW and lesser restoration and recovery potions we almost always have a communal share of treasure allocated towards consumables so that the group has the critical nonconsumables it needs at any given level and plenty of consumables as well.

Of course I also tend to modify the costs of consumable items to make the more expensive consumables (potions of level 2 spells +, wands of level 2 spells, etc) more worthwhile investments.


We houseruled the prices for consumables.
Potions and equivalents cost one fifth, wands cost half, and scrolls have full price.

That makes them usable in my book.


Orthos wrote:
Kydeem de'Morcaine wrote:
They told me that it should be my responsibility as a GM to replace all that useless carp with decent magic items.
........ wat.

Yep. They were level 4-5 and the final boss encounter gave

Several scrolls (with useful but uncommon spells up to 5th level),
Bunch of potions (including neutralize poison and cure disease that I specifically added since they didn't have a cleric)
3 wands that were used against them very effectively (I think it was spider climb, enervation, and greater magic weapon) admitedly low charges left
Some magic arrows
Plus two potentially useful but kinda cursed magic daggers.

They were very irritated that they didn't get anything useful out of a very tough fight. I should have known enough to replace what was in the book with decent stuff. I had actually added half the potions, the wand of enervation, the arrows, and the daggers. I almost doubled the total value cause I thought the module had been light up until then and they bypassed a major trove.

Shadow Lodge

So no wizard in the party to add those scrolls to his spellbook?
Heck knows I wouldn't say no to remove disease/poison potions, that stuff can get nasty if you don't get it healed quick. Have you thrown any disease/poison enemies at them?
A GMW wand? That alone would have been worth it IMO, and tacking on Enervation is gravy. Spiderclimb's not shabby either.
Cursed daggers I can see being a complaint, especially if no one in the party used daggers. I'm going to assume you have someone who does though, and ditto on an archer to use the arrows. Does the mage know Remove Curse?

All in all, though, I'm just kind of slackjawed at that response. It's one thing to say "There's not much in this trove we can use" and sell the lot of it. It's another to tell the GM "you should have replaced this crap with stuff we actually want!".

Maybe I'm spoiled since my groups have never encountered 90% of the complaints I see on these forums.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Depends on the consumable. Potions tend to get over looked. Wands get used lots in my game. Scrolls fall in the middle. No ever buy magic arrows though.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I've run groups in 3.5 and PF and I've noticed a lot of purchase/construction of wands from every group. That seems pretty common. The same is true for lesser restoration portions.

Most other consumables have been a bit more hit and miss. One player bought lots of specialty ammunition for his halfling ranger/barbarian (and cos-play gigolo, but that's an entirely different issue). I gave him a lot of leeway in purchasing individual bullets and we typically rolled a d20 or d10 to see how many of a particular bullet were available. But minor buffs in potions or scrolls? Very rarely. I think the cost/value benefit tends to just be too low compared to saving up for permanent solutions.


Kydeem de'Morcaine wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Kydeem de'Morcaine wrote:
They told me that it should be my responsibility as a GM to replace all that useless carp with decent magic items.
........ wat.

Yep. They were level 4-5 and the final boss encounter gave

Several scrolls (with useful but uncommon spells up to 5th level),
Bunch of potions (including neutralize poison and cure disease that I specifically added since they didn't have a cleric)
3 wands that were used against them very effectively (I think it was spider climb, enervation, and greater magic weapon) admitedly low charges left
Some magic arrows
Plus two potentially useful but kinda cursed magic daggers.

They were very irritated that they didn't get anything useful out of a very tough fight. I should have known enough to replace what was in the book with decent stuff. I had actually added half the potions, the wand of enervation, the arrows, and the daggers. I almost doubled the total value cause I thought the module had been light up until then and they bypassed a major trove.

Seriously? They can't even think of decent uses for wands of enervation and greater magic weapon (Those two don't even require putting too much thought into how you use them)? They don't see the use of an arsenal of cleric-y potions for a non-cleric group? (I call good GM foresight on that one. Smart of you to put those in, dumb of them to not see how useful they were.)


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I've had low strength characters that didn't have a lot of room under the light load cap to carry consumeables. Even two extra holy water would have pushed the character into a medium load.


They did not have a dagger wielder. The daggers weren't really cursed. They had a custom enchantment that was kinda like the vicious property. Damage done could not be healed magically, but the wielder took damage. Many people thought they were evil. Campaign plot item.

They would have rather had a single +1 weapon for 1 guy that something that could give everyone a +3 weapon for 9 hours on several different days.

They have a hard time seeing the use for spells that don't either do damage or completely take out an opponent. So they didn't think they would ever bother with the enervation wand.

The ranger could memorize spider climb if they ever really needed it.

They had not yet encountered much disease/poison enemies. They were only 4-5 level. But it was on the horizon.

Rather than cleric-y potions, they thought I should make a cleric NPC heal-bot to follow them around.

They did have an archer that was why I put the arrows in there.

Campaign died soon afterward for mostly other reasons (two of the players couldn't get along with the others).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kydeem de'Morcaine wrote:
This is the kind of thing that made me finally realize this attitude in my group. They actually get irritated by a treasure trove with a bunch of consumables. They are likely to not even bother to pick up the alchemical items. They told me that it should be my responsibility as a GM to replace all that useless carp with decent magic items.

So is the monster just supposed to have a medieval gift registry outside its lair for the adventurers about to come in to kill and loot it?

Set up an encounter in which those nice consumables you left would have been very nice. "Oh, if only we had a worthless alchemist's fire!" "Wait, we did!"


SlimGauge wrote:
I've had low strength characters that didn't have a lot of room under the light load cap to carry consumeables. Even two extra holy water would have pushed the character into a medium load.

To me that is reasonable. You have considered the option and it doesn't work for that particular character. My group doesn't even consider them in almost any situation for any character.

Current campaign, my PC has bought a remove disease as cast by a level 12 cleric because we might be going up against lycanthropes. The other PC's have piles of cash or valuables, but not one of them was willing to buy a similar scroll. But 2 of them paid to increase their cloak of resistance. Reasonable, but you can still roll low and they have the cash available.


Scintillae wrote:
... So is the monster just supposed to have a medieval gift registry outside its lair for the adventurers about to come in to kill and loot it? ...

Apparently yes.

Scintillae wrote:
... Set up an encounter in which those nice consumables you left would have been very nice. "Oh, if only we had a worthless alchemist's fire!" "Wait, we did!"

The lessson is never even noticed let along learned. It would never even occur to them that the alchemist fire would have been useful.

Most of the items in that trove (or very similar ones) had just been used on them to great effect. They even acknowledged that the fight had been hard because many of the badguys had temp magic weapons there was an archer shooting magic arrows at them from the ceiling, and 2 PC's had lost levels.

But they refused to let that cross over into "we could do the same thing." Even when I suggested it to them, they just acted like I was crazy for even bringing it up.

Shadow Lodge

Sadly, I think the only way to convince them is to play a character that does use those items and pulls stuff off they can't with their gear, which requires luck and events you can't guarantee, and a GM who won't deliberately ruin any chances to use said items, which you also can't guarantee.

And if that fails I can't think of anything else. I just cannot get into the mindset of your group, I'm afraid. It boggles my understanding. I just don't get it.


My players are rather odd in this regard. They will happily buy potions by the bucket load and maybe the occasional wand. Scrolls are never bought though.

But then they will churn through their potions and wands before ever touching their renewable spells. Maybe it is just me but back in the day, you sued your spells and abilities, and used the consumables as backup.

Shadow Lodge

I tend to be very frugal and only use consumable items for very tough fights or specific hazards that can't be overcome otherwise. But I can definitely see the use for a few healing potions in a group without that capacity, and at low levels GMW can be a nice boost.


The usefulness of consumable items varies wildly. A wand of Greater Magic Weapon (at a low caster level) is a waste of money, since that's the kind of thing you would want to have on 24 hours a day. On the other hand, I have a PC with a wand of Mirror Image that I've found enormously useful.


Gosh, I used to think that it was just my players being dutch, not liking impermanent investment...


My Players and myself all lead more towards the Wand over Potions/Oils.

We also rarely buy them and normally craft them all at once and keep a large Stockpile inside our Bottomless Chest*.

We currently have a stockpile of Cure wands of all type thanks to us being frugal with our money and earning lots of money.

*Magical Item we crafted based on the ideas of a larger sized variation of the handy haversack and/or bag of holding.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

I tend to grab a handful of consumables, if any, for emergencies, and otherwise go with permanent magic items. Most of my group is the same. My girlfiend, now...she loads up on mundane magic items, but she makes most PCs look positively bad with money. Occasionally she doesn't buy anything for ages, and then suddenly buys a +4 weapon out of the blue, because no one realized she had 32k saved up. She, in particular, almost never buys consumables. If she finds them, or needs them for a specific quest? Great! But otherwise? Forget it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kydeem de'Morcaine wrote:

I just recently noticed something about my group that seems odd to me.

When anyone in my group makes a new character it is rare for them to buy any consumable magic items with their starting wealth.
If starting in the level 2-4 range AND there is no dedicated healer they just might buy a few potions of cure X wounds.

There have only been a very few exceptions. Know something will be needed (going to fight a city of lycanthropes so 1 scroll of remove disease at 12th level). The gunslinger made mithral bullets. The guy who was the wizard was going to buy a bunch of scrolls to add to his spell book (then we found several large ones to copy so it wasn’t necessary).

Even once we are playing and they have a chance at a ‘magic-mart,’ they still won’t buy consumables unless they are desperate. At 4th level no one would purchase a potion of lesser restoration even though almost every PC was down several in multiple abilities. They were going down farther every day from undead fights much faster than the paladin’s single spell and rest was gaining them.

An adventure had an almost full wand of greater magic weapon at 9th caster level for just over 2000 gps. But no one bought it. Even after it was explained that the wand would probably last them through several levels advancement. Several bought +1 weapons at the same shop for basically the same price.

Now the really funny thing is that I didn’t notice this attitude because I personally have always had it clear back to the blue boxed set. Up until recently the groups I played with always used to tease me about the fact that I made myself weaker and less likely to survive because I wouldn’t buy consumables. I even have a hard time forcing myself to use them when found. “I might need it more later.” So it never gets used and should have just been sold.

What about you? Do you and/or your group make effective use of consumables?
Or do you just sell them for a small amount cash to buy weaker permanent magic items?

It would be hard for me to deny that consumables are popular in my groups.


Cydeth wrote:
I tend to grab a handful of consumables, if any, for emergencies, and otherwise go with permanent magic items. Most of my group is the same. My girlfiend, now...she loads up on mundane magic items, but she makes most PCs look positively bad with money. Occasionally she doesn't buy anything for ages, and then suddenly buys a +4 weapon out of the blue, because no one realized she had 32k saved up. She, in particular, almost never buys consumables. If she finds them, or needs them for a specific quest? Great! But otherwise? Forget it.

I know what that is like. I am infamous for my Fighter all of a sudden showing up with a new weapon he just bought or crafted with only the wizard even having a clue.

@Ashiel: Isn't the buying of an item set at the base of a Cleric/Wizard?


I've seen the same behavior in myself and others. Out of simple thrift (along with more complex psychological factors like loss aversion) and the structure of the game, many players invest minimally in consumable resources.

I think consumables can be great from a storytelling perspective, so it's sometimes a shame. The way I fix this is tied up in the way I treat wealth & gear differently in campaigns I GM.

A Brief Guide to Blueluck's Wealth & Magic:

  • Consumable magic items area readily available for sale at listed prices, and easily created (at half price) by anyone with the correct feat and abilities. Characters are free to buy, sell, trade, and use up as many consumables as they can find, make, or buy.

  • Permanent magic items are highly valued by their owners, rarely up for sale, and difficult to create. (i.e. The creation of each permanent magic item requires a special ingredient, quest, blessing, or something.) For PCs, creating a permanent magic item does not require a feat.

  • Wealth by level (WBL) is a total of a character's permanent magic items only. If a character is below WBL, they will get appropriate gear. They may acquire the gear by finding it in treasure, upgrading their current gear through adventuring ("Nice flaming sword!" "Yeah, ever since I killed that fire elemental, my sword has been like this. A priest told me that the spirit of the elemental is still contained in the sword. . ."), crafting it (Our Staff Magus has Craft:Carpentry and whittles expensive woods during his free time, muttering arcane enchantments in an attempts to perfect his favorite staff.), or other story-driven means.

    The goals of this system are threefold:
    1) Characters always have appropriate gear without having to scrimp and save, spend feats, roll availability, or argue over loot distribution.

    2) A character's gear fits into the epic story of that character, rather than being constantly replaced and upgraded. (Your Masterwork armor becomes +1, then +2, then +3 as a metagame effect.)

    3) Characters participate in an economy of goods, services, consumable magic items, land, etc. without having to worry that their character will be over- or under-geared for the story because of monetary decisions they make. (Want to buy a castle? Go ahead! You're not going to lack appropriate weapons and armor because of it.)



consumables aren't too popular in mine. i have been silenced by Weekly William every time i tried to teach my group what i remember of your creative uses for consumables. he would come up with ways to stop PCs from chugging potions like an addict or buying partially charged wands like they are going out of style. but he has allowed +5 weapons to be purchased if you have the masterwork weapon to be upgraded, a high diplomacy modifer (DC35 to find the crafter, 20+item caster level, convincing the buyer also requires a diplomacy check with that DC plus the crafter's charisma bonus/penalty), roll a 3 or less on a D10 (30%) to see if there is a sufficiently leveled caster to make the item, have the funds to purchase said weapon, are willing to wait out the time and are willing pay an additional 10% commisioners fee.


Azaelas Fayth wrote:
Cydeth wrote:
I tend to grab a handful of consumables, if any, for emergencies, and otherwise go with permanent magic items. Most of my group is the same. My girlfiend, now...she loads up on mundane magic items, but she makes most PCs look positively bad with money. Occasionally she doesn't buy anything for ages, and then suddenly buys a +4 weapon out of the blue, because no one realized she had 32k saved up. She, in particular, almost never buys consumables. If she finds them, or needs them for a specific quest? Great! But otherwise? Forget it.

I know what that is like. I am infamous for my Fighter all of a sudden showing up with a new weapon he just bought or crafted with only the wizard even having a clue.

@Ashiel: Isn't the buying of an item set at the base of a Cleric/Wizard?

only in organized play. or if the DM adopts that houserule.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Weekly William? Why does that seem so familiar?

@Blueluck: You and I would get along perfectly. Next question how big is the castle and How much they asking for it?


Kydeem de'Morcaine wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
... Set up an encounter in which those nice consumables you left would have been very nice. "Oh, if only we had a worthless alchemist's fire!" "Wait, we did!"

The lessson is never even noticed let along learned. It would never even occur to them that the alchemist fire would have been useful.

Most of the items in that trove (or very similar ones) had just been used on them to great effect. They even acknowledged that the fight had been hard because many of the badguys had temp magic weapons there was an archer shooting magic arrows at them from the ceiling, and 2 PC's had lost levels.

But they refused to let that cross over into "we could do the same thing." Even when I suggested it to them, they just acted like I was crazy for even bringing it up.

How about an encounter in which an enemy group very effectively uses such items against them? See the last half-dozen pages of Order of the Stick for some very clever use of a smokestick, for example. Or perhaps an enemy tosses alchemists fire down onto the PCs while they stand on oil-soaked ground? Did you know that some of those items can be used as additional material components to bolster certain spells (it's a neat trick from the Adventurer's Armory, see here, in the sidebar labelled "alchemical power components" for how it would work for alchemist's fire. You can scroll on that page to find other alchemical items with similar use) alchemist's ice is my favourite thing for enhancing my spells?

Lotsa ways to demonstrate to them how these "useless" little things could be useful, and most can be done through methods by which you can verbally describe the action of what's happening. ("As the wizard casts his spell, the alchemist's fire in the vial he holds spills forth, mixing itself into the growing ball of flame he holds above his head, dramatically increasing the size of the imminent fireball")


Lumiere Dawnbringer wrote:
Azaelas Fayth wrote:
Cydeth wrote:
I tend to grab a handful of consumables, if any, for emergencies, and otherwise go with permanent magic items. Most of my group is the same. My girlfiend, now...she loads up on mundane magic items, but she makes most PCs look positively bad with money. Occasionally she doesn't buy anything for ages, and then suddenly buys a +4 weapon out of the blue, because no one realized she had 32k saved up. She, in particular, almost never buys consumables. If she finds them, or needs them for a specific quest? Great! But otherwise? Forget it.

I know what that is like. I am infamous for my Fighter all of a sudden showing up with a new weapon he just bought or crafted with only the wizard even having a clue.

@Ashiel: Isn't the buying of an item set at the base of a Cleric/Wizard?

only in organized play. or if the DM adopts that houserule.

Hmm, Oh wait it is only on Scrolls and Wands bought from a merchant that are suggested to follow that.

EDIT: also Potions/Oils.


Azaelas Fayth wrote:

Weekly William? Why does that seem so familiar?

@Blueluck: You and I would get along perfectly. Next question how big is the castle and How much they asking for it?

Weekly William has a large group. and i had a previous account on these boards that drew so much hate i wished to escape. so i started a new one.


No clue... And how can someone be hated here!?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Azaelas Fayth wrote:
No clue... And how can someone be hated here!?

It's easier than you'd think. (^~^)


Ashiel wrote:
Azaelas Fayth wrote:
No clue... And how can someone be hated here!?
It's easier than you'd think. (^~^)

my previous account had quite the negative reputation.


My group tends to be very frugal. The campaigns seem to be low wealth even when going strictly via the modules, and the group believes that the 'regular' PF wealth table is overpowered, and goes by the NPC wealth table instead.

That said consumables found are used (if remembered), but otherwise rarely if ever bought.


Honestly, I find it more cost-effective to get something that is charges/day in terms of consumability than something that is finite and constantly needs to be replenished without an "automatic reinbursement" sort of thing.

For example, Boots of Flying granting the Fly spell 3/day, or the Boots of Speed/Mithral Full Plate of Haste granting Haste 10 rounds/day, would be much more effective than purchasing 3 Potions of Fly or a Potion of Haste (perhaps multiple, to simulate the non-consecutive rounds you are allowed to have). Some of these "consumables" are more superior in what they provide, meaning it would be better to have those kinds of items for consumables than stuff that is finite and must be manually replenished through gold, and/or crafting.

That is to say, that having finite resources isn't a bad thing; they are very helpful and work in a pinch should your items fail you, but I would rather not base my whole regime on a finite resource (unless it is a 1-shot, where having finite resources wouldn't even matter).


Lumiere Dawnbringer wrote:
Ashiel wrote:
Azaelas Fayth wrote:
No clue... And how can someone be hated here!?
It's easier than you'd think. (^~^)
my previous account had quite the negative reputation.

Yikes...

@Lythe_Featherblade: How is the "regular" PF wealth table overpowered?

1 to 50 of 136 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Consumable Magic Items - For or Against? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.