Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

RPG Superstar Lovers: Valhalla is Calling You


Compatible Products from Other Publishers

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

Do you love the RPG Superstar contest to start? Yes? Then take a look at Valhalla Calling, the adventure design contest over at Kobold Press. The winner has their adventure published!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Ah, ah,
We come from the land of the dark and stone,
From the unlit skyes where the fungus grow.
The open call of Baur will drive our pens to new lands,
To fight the gnomes, pitching and writing: Valhalla, I am coming!

On we sweep with dripping pen, Our only goal will be the published win.

With appologies to Led Zepplin

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

"To fight the gnomes" -- I love this!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Me too. Very clever Matthew!

I will be watching the contest with interest!


And now that song is in my brain, and a mental image of kobolds with spears and viking helmets added to the mix.


hmmm... mayhaps I shall write up a something.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

It's your contest, but it seems to me that limiting it to the first 100 entries is likely to severely reduce the number of quality submissions. I'm interested, but by the time I gave my pitch the attention it deserved, the queue is likely to be full.

Sczarni

I'm interested, but don't have the lovely 9.99 to spend on Kobold Guide to Game Design Vol 2. While I have a few ideas for a pitch, any advice would be appreciated before I got putting finger to key and submitting.


sieylianna wrote:
It's your contest, but it seems to me that limiting it to the first 100 entries is likely to severely reduce the number of quality submissions. I'm interested, but by the time I gave my pitch the attention it deserved, the queue is likely to be full.

You did note that they're only asking for a 400-word pitch at this stage in the contest, right? That having been said, I agree that restricting the contest to the first 100 entries may reduce the overall quality of the pool.

Andoran

TwiceBorn wrote:
sieylianna wrote:
It's your contest, but it seems to me that limiting it to the first 100 entries is likely to severely reduce the number of quality submissions. I'm interested, but by the time I gave my pitch the attention it deserved, the queue is likely to be full.
You did note that they're only asking for a 400-word pitch at this stage in the contest, right? That having been said, I agree that restricting the contest to the first 100 entries may reduce the overall quality of the pool.

Great point - a 400 word pitch is obviously much different than a full treatment. Heck - you might be surprised how quickly you can write 400 words!

I'd also point out that contests like these tend to test more than just the actual quality of a prospective new writer's ideas and writing ability. They also test things like working well under tight deadlines, how much a writer procrastinates etc.

My advice? Pick your best adventure idea and start writing the pitch - jump in and don't stop until you are happy with it ... and the enter!

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

The Kobold Guide is not required to enter: this is totally open to anyone who has a 400-word pitch. No purchase necessary!

The 100 entries limit serves a couple of goals, and it will certainly be very clear when and if we are close to it. I suspect we will get less than 100 pitches, because most people just procrastinate on game design, or are too busy, and so on.

One of the goals here is to find a designer who does not procrastinate, so... The limit is quite intentional.

Sczarni

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Is there any specific guidelines you're looking for in the pitch (i.e. double-spaced, citing sources for creatures, etc.)


I'm a great procrastinator, which is the primary reason I have no Game Design credits. There is method to this madness.

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

Icaste, the pitch needs a title, system, and a compelling description of what the adventure is about. Mostly, compelling enough to make judges pick it and people to vote for it.

It needs to be clear and exciting and interesting. There are lots of ways to do that, not just one, and it is the writer's job to figure out how to make the case best.

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

1 person marked this as a favorite.

And today, TSR and Wizards of the Coast veteran Steve Winter talks about How to Pitch in his Howling Tower column. He's talking about world and campaign pitches, but the same principles apply to an adventure pitch.

Convenient, that is.


This is very tempting, I shall have to see what I can come up with.

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

I look forward to reading your pitch! I suspect both judges and voters are going to have some tough choices to make.


Sadly don't really have the time for this, but did want to say I love that you guys are doing it and want to wish all the contestants the best of luck!

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Less than 90 spots remain.....


Wolfgang Baur wrote:
Do you love the RPG Superstar contest to start? Yes? Then take a look at Valhalla Calling, the adventure design contest over at Kobold Press. The winner has their adventure published!

My pitch is in!

*Excited Eyes*

This looks fun, thank you to everyone involved for putting this together.

Just a question, but is there any chance of having a collection of the entries posted to an online source such as a link on a facebook page after the contest winner is decided?

I know I at least love looking at ideas that people are passionate about, it makes my fingers itch for my keyboard.

Contributor

Best of luck to those who enter!

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

Covent wrote:
Just a question, but is there any chance of having a collection of the entries posted to an online source such as a link on a facebook page after the contest winner is decided?

I'm excited as well, because a contest like this is always filled with surprising new stuff.

The top 5 or top 10 will definitely be posted as part of the contest (so people can vote for the winner!).

Beyond that... Probably not. 400 words x 100 entries = 40,000 words, which is a novella, and also waaaay, waaaay longer than a Facebook post allows. We'll spend the time that would be required to compile and format all that working on the next contest, instead.


Matthew Morris wrote:

Ah, ah,

We come from the land of the dark and stone,
From the unlit skyes where the fungus grow.
The open call of Baur will drive our pens to new lands,
To fight the gnomes, pitching and writing: Valhalla, I am coming!

On we sweep with dripping pen, Our only goal will be the published win.

AAAHHH-AHHHH-AH!

AAAHHH-AHHHH-AH!

<ahem>

Has anyone seen my viking helmet? I seem to be looking for new employment... ;)

Qadira Contributor; Publisher, Kobold Quarterly

To keep folks up to date, we're at just over 20 entries after 1 week of the contest.

Get your pitch ready and submit it soon!

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Compatible Products from Other Publishers / RPG Superstar Lovers: Valhalla is Calling You All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.