Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Leadership Feat and a Bag of Devouring


Rules Questions


Does a Bag of Devouring have a HD listed anywhere? It's an extradimensional monster on the other side, and I was wondering if you could use the Leadership Feat to have a Bag of Devouring as a follower.

The alternative is a mimic, but that's a little more cumbersome, it weights 900 lbs, and doesn't move very fast.


Can you even have a monstrous creature as a follower via Leadership? I always assumed you needed to pick some kind of humanoid as a follower.


Monster Cohorts

I'm not sure about having them as followers, but as cohorts it is possible. A mimic probably counts as a level 8 or 9. I'm not sure about the bag. If you can figure out a CR for it, you could figure out what your leadership score needs to be.


Harrison wrote:
Can you even have a monstrous creature as a follower via Leadership?

According to Paizo you can have a monstrous cohort, with DM's approval.

I did a little Googling, and apparently someone asked a similar question on here a while back, but to have one as a familiar. Apparently the critter on the other side of the Bag of Devouring (and the Bag of Tricks, apparently) is an ihagnim. It was described in Dragon magazine for 1st edition AD&D. It was an ooze, 8HD, 8-16 intelligence (wow!), and lived on the astral plane.

Would be cool if Paizo officially statted it out for one of their supplements. :)

I think I'll have to fall back on my mimic plan since the ihagnim doesn't have any published stats for Pathfinder.

Once my character starts getting to some higher levels, the mimic could be as large as a stagecoach. I can't help but laugh because I keep imagining a stagecoach running off into the fields of some poor rural farming town, eating all the sheep and cows.

Actually hooking horses to a mimic stagecoach would be like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey.

Hmm. Would be a great tool for an assassin.

"Yes, minister, please use my personal coach. Pay no mind to the red carpet, it's always spongy and moist."


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I think you are looking for "Chomper".


Hah. Unfortunately the Chaotic Evil nature makes it difficult to utilize with a non-evil PC.

I didn't think about using magic item creation feats to make a non-evil intelligent Bag of Devouring, though. That'd be something to explore. Would take a lot more feats to reach the goal than just taking the Leadership feat, but it's possible.

I don't understand why GP values aren't given for cursed items. Many of them are extremely useful, often single-purpose items. A Helm of Opposite Alignment and Bag of Devouring are some of the coolest and most useful "cursed" items. If you happen to play an undead or are immune to negative energy, many of the "cursed" weapons are really awesome.

Sovereign Court

olePigeon wrote:

Hah. Unfortunately the Chaotic Evil nature makes it difficult to utilize with a non-evil PC.

I didn't think about using magic item creation feats to make a non-evil intelligent Bag of Devouring, though. That'd be something to explore. Would take a lot more feats to reach the goal than just taking the Leadership feat, but it's possible.

I don't understand why GP values aren't given for cursed items. Many of them are extremely useful, often single-purpose items. A Helm of Opposite Alignment and Bag of Devouring are some of the coolest and most useful "cursed" items. If you happen to play an undead or are immune to negative energy, many of the "cursed" weapons are really awesome.

Well, every thread about paladins-killing-baby-goblins tells us that alignment is never absolute and influenced by upbringing. So, it reasons that if you found a baby BoD, took it away from traditional Bag society and took it to a nearby orphanage of a LG god, it would be LG when it grew up.


olePigeon wrote:
I did a little Googling, and apparently someone asked a similar question on here a while back, but to have one as a familiar. Apparently the critter on the other side of the Bag of Devouring (and the Bag of Tricks, apparently) is an ihagnim. It was described in Dragon magazine for 1st edition AD&D. It was an ooze, 8HD, 8-16 intelligence (wow!), and lived on the astral plane.

Thanks for looking that up. Otherwise, it would have been bothering me all day!

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Leadership Feat and a Bag of Devouring All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.