Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Playing a PFS adventure over two sessions online


Pathfinder Society® General Discussion

Cheliax *

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber

I am thinking of running a Pathfinder Society game online using Fantasy Grounds, however my real live commitments mean I do not have the four to five hours to run an adventure ( I am told games take longer to run online) and would like to split running an adventure over two sessions. I asked about this on the Fantasy Ground forums and got two different answers to whether it’s allowable under Pathfinder Society rules to do this. If it is permissible, what happens if a player, despite attempts by me to find a mutually agreeable time to run a second session, fails to participate in the second session? I assume it is treated in a similar manner to if a player walks out half way through a normal face to face game. Some official advice would be appreciated. Apologies if these questions are in the wrong sub forum.

Grand Lodge **

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Quote:
Apologies if these questions are in the wrong sub forum.

You'll be glad to know you're in the right place!

Quote:
I am thinking of running a Pathfinder Society game online using Fantasy Grounds, however my real live commitments mean I do not have the four to five hours to run an adventure ( I am told games take longer to run online) and would like to split running an adventure over two sessions.

The Campaign Coordinator has confirmed this is fine.

Quote:
If it is permissible, what happens if a player, despite attempts by me to find a mutually agreeable time to run a second session, fails to participate in the second session? I assume it is treated in a similar manner to if a player walks out half way through a normal face to face game.

I would agree with this approach. Make sure they get reported; if they've completed 3 encounters then they qualify for the XP, but may miss out on doing their faction mission.

Qadira ** Venture-Lieutenant, Colorado—Denver aka MartinB

Paz wrote:
I would agree with this approach. Make sure they get reported; if they've completed 3 encounters then they qualify for the XP, but may miss out on doing their faction mission.

Is this 3 encounter rule actually the case for PCs that don't die? Page 37 of the 4.2 Guide to Organized play states:

PFS Guide Page 37 wrote:
Award the character XP based on his advancement track. A PC may only receive XP if he survives the scenario or is raised from the dead by the scenario’s conclusion and completed at least three encounters over the course of the adventure.

Which means the 3 encounter rule is only for PCs that die, otherwise they have to "survive the scenario". Is there a similar 3 encounter minimum that classes the PC as surviving if they leave early?

Grand Lodge **

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

I suppose it depends if you parse the 'or' in the sentence from the Guide first, or the 'and'. :-)

Honestly, I'm not sure. People with far more stars than me have cited the 3 encounter rule in the past though.

Lantern Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Australia—Melbourne aka DarkWhite

Paz wrote:

I suppose it depends if you parse the 'or' in the sentence from the Guide first, or the 'and'. :-)

Honestly, I'm not sure. People with far more stars than me have cited the 3 encounter rule in the past though.

PFS Guide Page 37 wrote:

A PC may only receive XP if:

- he survives the scenario; or
- is raised from the dead by the scenario’s conclusion,

and completed at least three encounters over the course of the adventure.

Qadira ** Venture-Lieutenant, Colorado—Denver aka MartinB

Stephen White wrote:
PFS Guide Page 37 wrote:

A PC may only receive XP if:

- he survives the scenario; or
- is raised from the dead by the scenario’s conclusion,

and completed at least three encounters over the course of the adventure.

Cool, thanks for the clarification (and punctuation) Steve! :-)

Nice to know the 3 encounter minimum is for both the living and the dead! :-)

Andoran ***

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Modules Subscriber

The thing to remember is that, unless he gets up and leaves in the middle of an encounter, or that the location is in one door, have to find the exit to get out, he can be assumed to have survived the scenario.

So, XP is either 0 or 1, depending on the numbers of encounters done when the player leaves.

PP, if any, based on faction mission(s) completed. Obviously, no PP for meeting the general Pathfinder Society mission, if this scenario gives PP for that.

GP pro-rated on the GP found/retrieved during the encounters done. Or reduced by GP budget for the encounters the PC did not participate in.

Boons, if any, as appropriate for the parts of the mission performed. Odds are strongly in favor of not eligible for any boons, although, sometimes, the Act which can award the boon is early instead of late in the scenario.

Chronicle item access based on items found before the player leaves. In many scenarios, there is little, if any, item access before the final Act.

Taldor *** Venture-Captain, Oklahoma—Tulsa aka Rob Duncan

I concur with the reading Stephan has, but as a practical consideration I would make them all agree that:

1) I will show up for both sessions.
2) I will play all of it.
3) I get full credit if I do all of it.
4) I get no credit if I don't do all of it.

It's a bit like being at a convention, sitting down, doing three scenarios, going to the bathroom, then wandering away for a few hours to a panel discussion, and then coming back and asking for a chronicle sheet. o_O

(BTW Fantasy Grounds is excellent. I have an Ultimate license thanks to Skellan's introductions. Online games run longish because of the learning curve with the software, so I found 6 hours for a 4 hour scenario is a good timeframe. Add in an extra hour to "catch up" between sessions.)

*

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I've been playing various OP campaigns with an online group for over a decade. (We started out using AOL Instant Messenger chat rooms; we now use Skype and Maptools.)

6 hours is usually a pretty good guess for how long it takes to play a one-round OP game, especially if you (or some of your players) are relatively new to using the tool. Our group usually splits it over two three-hour weeknight sessions in the same week; we've found that longer delays between the two "halves" lead to players having trouble remembering what was going on.

If you can use Skype or something like it for voice chat, it may speed things up, and if you have a group who gets to be very proficient with the online map tool, it can also help you get down closer to the 4-5 hour range. But, technical glitches are nearly always an issue (someone can't get onto the server, someone's computer crashes, Skype decides to be a pill, etc.), and even the best mapping program is still going to be slower than a real tabletop for most players.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Playing a PFS adventure over two sessions online All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.