Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

What first level spell


Advice


would work best with precocious spell caster?

Silver Crusade

Mount or Unseen Servant. 2/hr per CL and 1/hr per CL respectively; are good all the way up to 20th level. Mage Armor is also good, although you will EVENTUALLY replace that with Bracers of Armor +5 or a +4 Haramaki if your GM lets you.


What works best with Precocious Spellcaster? A different feat. Its effects will generally no longer matter past level 5 or so. If you're going to play a short game (E6 perhaps), then yeah, it's good (and I'd lean maybe Magic Missile?).

Silver Crusade

It's a trait, not a feat.


Ok, sorry--then amend my answer to "A different trait." It's still not worth it.


You can take Precocious Spellcaster to make shocking grasp do an extra 1d6 damage.

Furthermore, with Magical Lineage and Intensified Spell, at Level 5, it will, applying all three above, allow Shocking Grasp to do 6d6 damage as a first level spell. Note that it will still cap at 10d6 at 9th level.

On top of that, you can get Spell Specialization for +2 caster level to a single spell, and Variasian school for +1 caster level to a school of magic, both requires Spell Focus.


Probably Magic Missile. It's useful longer than most other first-level spells, the +1 CL will improve its effectiveness up till level 8, and even at level 10+ you may still be casting Magic Missiles (probably in Toppling form) and the bonus to overcoming SR will be useful (especially since you may have to break SR on multiple targets with the same attack.)

If you're just looking for some added ooomph at low levels, Burning Hands or Vanish could be useful, depending on what you're trying to do.


Elamdri wrote:
Mount or Unseen Servant. 2/hr per CL and 1/hr per CL respectively; are good all the way up to 20th level. Mage Armor is also good, although you will EVENTUALLY replace that with Bracers of Armor +5 or a +4 Haramaki if your GM lets you.

Mage Armor has a use even when you are high level and wearing bracers..

It is a good hedge against dispel magic attempts. They will likely hit the mage armor rather than any other spell you have up (as it goes from highest CASTER LEVEL down).

There was a 3.5 item that did something similar to this trait a number of times/day.. that's what was the best use of the item back then...

-James


Dragonamedrake wrote:

You can take Precocious Spellcaster to make shocking grasp do an extra 1d6 damage.

Furthermore, with Magical Lineage and Intensified Spell, at Level 5, it will, applying all three above, allow Shocking Grasp to do 6d6 damage as a first level spell. Note that it will still cap at 10d6 at 9th level.

On top of that, you can get Spell Specialization for +2 caster level to a single spell, and Variasian school for +1 caster level to a school of magic, both requires Spell Focus.

Will variasian school and bloatmage initiate stack.

Shadow Lodge

I use it with snapdragon fireworks. That extra round of *zot* is wonderful since it's a move action to get going. Stand way-the-hell-back and use it, magic missile, and other long range spells.

That you don't have to fire off a firework still allows you a move or full round action if needed. Else that (potentially) dazzling 1d4 points of damage is a freebie. (and if you mix it with dazing spell or other feats, you're annoying with multiple saves. He's got to roll a 1 eventually)


Reynard "Rey" Heyerdahl wrote:

I use it with snapdragon fireworks. That extra round of *zot* is wonderful since it's a move action to get going. Stand way-the-hell-back and use it, magic missile, and other long range spells.

That you don't have to fire off a firework still allows you a move or full round action if needed. Else that (potentially) dazzling 1d4 points of damage is a freebie. (and if you mix it with dazing spell or other feats, you're annoying with multiple saves. He's got to roll a 1 eventually)

Snapdragon fireworks is one of few spells that can hit swarms that don't have a big colateral damage zone.

It would be great if it was a frost spell usable with rime spell.
But You can't even use energy admixture because it is no evocation spell.

If there was a cold version of that spell I'd make a pc specialized for it.
Magical lineage or wayang spellhunter for it. Rime blooded sorc 1 waves oracle 1 Wizard x.
Probably very much useless at higher levels but still fun.


Dragonamedrake wrote:

You can take Precocious Spellcaster to make shocking grasp do an extra 1d6 damage.

Furthermore, with Magical Lineage and Intensified Spell, at Level 5, it will, applying all three above, allow Shocking Grasp to do 6d6 damage as a first level spell. Note that it will still cap at 10d6 at 9th level.

On top of that, you can get Spell Specialization for +2 caster level to a single spell, and Variasian school for +1 caster level to a school of magic, both requires Spell Focus.

What's virisian school? I can't seem to find anything on it, is it a trait, feat, class feature? Are you talking about the thassilonian school specialty? Because I thought that only gave an extra spell


james maissen wrote:
Elamdri wrote:
Mount or Unseen Servant. 2/hr per CL and 1/hr per CL respectively; are good all the way up to 20th level. Mage Armor is also good, although you will EVENTUALLY replace that with Bracers of Armor +5 or a +4 Haramaki if your GM lets you.

Mage Armor has a use even when you are high level and wearing bracers..

It is a good hedge against dispel magic attempts. They will likely hit the mage armor rather than any other spell you have up (as it goes from highest CASTER LEVEL down).

There was a 3.5 item that did something similar to this trait a number of times/day.. that's what was the best use of the item back then...

-James

Mage Armor and Bracers of Armor do not stack.

Liberty's Edge

Umbranus wrote:
Reynard "Rey" Heyerdahl wrote:

I use it with snapdragon fireworks. That extra round of *zot* is wonderful since it's a move action to get going. Stand way-the-hell-back and use it, magic missile, and other long range spells.

That you don't have to fire off a firework still allows you a move or full round action if needed. Else that (potentially) dazzling 1d4 points of damage is a freebie. (and if you mix it with dazing spell or other feats, you're annoying with multiple saves. He's got to roll a 1 eventually)

Snapdragon fireworks is one of few spells that can hit swarms that don't have a big colateral damage zone.

It would be great if it was a frost spell usable with rime spell.
But You can't even use energy admixture because it is no evocation spell.

If there was a cold version of that spell I'd make a pc specialized for it.
Magical lineage or wayang spellhunter for it. Rime blooded sorc 1 waves oracle 1 Wizard x.
Probably very much useless at higher levels but still fun.

You've got sorcerer in that list? Elemental (cold) or Marid bloodline - any spell that deals energy damage becomes cold damage. Throw in a witch with the winter archtype for +1dc and a familiar.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Whisperknives wrote:
Mage Armor and Bracers of Armor do not stack.

I don't think he was saying they do... he was saying cast Mage Armor (lasts hours per level and it's a 1st level spell) at your caster level +1, cast your other buffs at your normal caster level, and if someone casts Dispel Magic on you, they get rid of the Mage Armor which is no problem because you have bracers of armor anyway.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / What first level spell All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.