Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

What, Never Played Pathfinder?!


Gamer Talk


No, I haven't. Really.

I believe I recently surprised a fellow poster by revealing this fact, so I thought I'd start a friendly thread about it. If you're posting here, you probably play PF; but I know I can't be the only one. So, do you play PF?

I rolled up a 1st level PC with Freehold DM once, but never got to play before moving away. Since then, I've met and known gamers who play PF. But either they weren't GMing it or they lived too far away. As for myself, I've never been lucky enough to have a surplus of gaming time so I always GM my one game of choice. But I'm back in NYC, so I'm hoping to meet up with Freehold and Celestial Healer some weekend, and actually try PF!

DISCLAIMER: Yeah, this thread is probably gonna be a PF love-in. But I don't want no edition warring! No subtle jabs about PF, 3.x, 4e or nobody's momma. Not even a HINT of it!

Offenders will be prosecuted under the full extent of the law.

Silver Crusade

Yes. I play PF. I've even played in a few PFS sessions during gaming conventions.


I have never played Pathfinder.

I have, however, DMed Pathfinder... does that count?


I miss going to cons...hate being a broke student! I hear PFS is well organized and fun; has this been your experience?

(I've actually never played any organized/living game.)

@AoB, DMing absolutely counts. Do you run homebrew or published adventures?


I played one PFS game, in person. Other than that, I haven't had a chance to play it in person. I am however, in about 10 PBPs.

I am thinking of DMing Rise of the Runelords for my sister et al, but we need to get a game time going.


Well, ok, ok, I admit it... I never played Pathfinder! Happy?

Spoiler:
I gm Pathfinder. I have started nearly a year and half ago.


Tequila Sunrise wrote:
I've actually never played any organized/living game.

Me either... I end up feeling like the groups of players that wind up in my FLGS wanting to play are the exact types of players that I can't stand to play with.

Have yet to try my newest FLGS to see what sort of folks they get coming in for PFS.

Tequila Sunrise wrote:
@AoB, DMing absolutely counts. Do you run homebrew or published adventures?

I've run some published stuff (two books of Carrion Crown, part of a book each from Serpent's Skull and Jade Regent - stopping SS because the players were not entertained by it, and the other two only because the players participating couldn't show up anymore).

Homebrew I do every week, and have done for about a full year straight now... though that was one campaign that imploded because of players doing weird things and the consequences piling up until they couldn't figure out what to do, and another campaign that is really only just starting despite us playing it every week for the last 4 months.


I've got the core rulebook, the advanced player guide, the advanced race guide, ultimate combat, the GM screen, and all 3 bestiaries.

But I've never played Pathfinder either.

Maybe when my son gets old enough to read.

Andoran

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I tried to introduce a couple of gamers to Pathfinder who only ever played some house-rule-heavy mash-up of 2nd and 3rd Edition D&D. They were brothers and one of them fought me from the start, saying the rules were stupid and would be so much better if blahbity blah blah whatever, but I finally got him to finish his character so we could play.

I decided to tack on a quick fight with three simple, ordinary rats at the beginning of the adventure as a tutorial and the problem player makes what would have been his first Pathfinder roll ever, but his d20 rolled off the table and onto the shag carpet. He then picked up his die and smugly declared, "Natural 20!" It seems every game I've ever played in or ran had the same simple rule that the roll doesn't count if it goes on the floor and I reminded the players of this before we started, so I asked the guy to reroll the die on the table. Dude completely flipped his poop and swept his dice off the table after accusing me of calling him a cheater. Then he complained about the rules of the game some more before calling me an a**h*** and saying he wasn't going to play by my BS rules.

As far as I know, that guy has still never played Pathfinder and, for that, I am thankful.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I started out playing 3.5e, and reccomend it over Pathfinder myself.

Despite this personal preference, I am currently the DM of a Kingmaker campaign.


I started playing Pathfinder in 1976.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I have yet to play or run PRPG outside of the Beta playtest. My group that will eventually transition to Pathfinder has been mired (joyously) in adventure paths for years now. We're halfway through RotRL, and I plan to run the AP's in order. Now that we won't have to slog through the high level stuff like Age of Worms and Savage Tide had, we might start PFRPG in about 4-5 years.


We converted the 3.x campaign I was running in 2008 or so to Pathfinder shortly after the final core rulebook was released, and I've been playing it ever since (and personally, I think I'd rather eat my own toenails than go back to 3.x at this point).

I consider "playing Pathfinder" to include both playing a character and GMing it, but I've done both; currently I am a player in two live campaigns and one PBP.


DeathQuaker wrote:

We converted the 3.x campaign I was running in 2008 or so to Pathfinder shortly after the final core rulebook was released, and I've been playing it ever since (and personally, I think I'd rather eat my own toenails than go back to 3.x at this point).

I consider "playing Pathfinder" to include both playing a character and GMing it, but I've done both; currently I am a player in two live campaigns and one PBP.

Personally, I tried to switch up to Pathfinder around Beta and past the release of the CRB, but I strongly prefer 3.5e. Kudos to those who enjoy Pathfinder, but I consider it a side-grade at best(for everything they "fixed," something else broke), and simply prefer to go with the edition I know the best, and have the most material for.

I just regret that I'm the only one who feels this way amongst my gaming groups. Everybody I game with has either moved completely on to Pathfinder, with no 3.5 materials allowed, or they've moved on to different games and genres entirely. My huge 3.5e collection just gathers dust now. So much for backwards compatibility.


AaronOfBarbaria wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
I've actually never played any organized/living game.
Me either... I end up feeling like the groups of players that wind up in my FLGS wanting to play are the exact types of players that I can't stand to play with.

Yep, I've heard so many horror stories about organized play that the few times I've gone to a con, I stuck with independent DMs. Never had a FLGS.

AaronOfBarbaria wrote:
Homebrew I do every week, and have done for about a full year straight now... though that was one campaign that imploded because of players doing weird things and the consequences piling up until they couldn't figure out what to do, and another campaign that is really only just starting despite us playing it every week for the last 4 months.

Can you elaborate...?


Josh M. wrote:
I just regret that I'm the only one who feels this way amongst my gaming groups. Everybody I game with has either moved completely on to Pathfinder, with no 3.5 materials allowed, or they've moved on to different games and genres entirely. My huge 3.5e collection just gathers dust now. So much for backwards compatibility.

I know how you feel. I never got to use 90% of my sizable 3.x collection. :( I hope that if I ever do play PF, my DM will be willing to put a little time into conversions (or trust me to convert) if I wanted to finally use something that wasn't carried over into PF.

Velcro Zipper wrote:
I tried to introduce a couple of gamers to Pathfinder who only ever played some house-rule-heavy mash-up of 2nd and 3rd Edition D&D. They were brothers and one of them fought me from the start, saying the rules were stupid and would be so much better if blahbity blah blah whatever...

I think the appropriate response to this behavior is "Are you willing and able to run this game? No? Then I suggest you relax and just roll with this." But hindsight is 20/20, right? ;)

Icyshadow wrote:
Despite this personal preference, I am currently the DM of a Kingmaker campaign.

No slack for the DM, eh?

Terquem wrote:
I started playing Pathfinder in 1976.

...?


I've never played it; I'm an AD&D 1E guy. I do like Paizo and these boards, though. And porting stuff (spells. items, monsters) to my system is easy enough. Adventures are a little harder, but still workable.


We just called it by a different name then, but it was Pathfinder, in spirit in every way. ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
So, do you play PF?

Nope. We stick with 3.5 (which we prefer).


Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Can you elaborate...?

Absolutely.

The campaign plot-line follows a group of students studying at a university of wizardry and higher learning that are caught up in an inter-dimensional struggle to stop beings that serve pure chaos from unraveling time.

And I say we are only just getting started because they have finished their first academic year, only just become aware of the plot, and are not yet 3rd-level.

My expectation was that we would reach this point in 6 weeks, rather than 4 months, but the players got very wrapped up in some side projects (namely setting up a still and running a booze racket on campus and aiding a professor with his endeavors to build the world's first airship) and that was plenty of fun to spend session after session on so they didn't notice that they had no clue of their own major goals until last week.

Andoran

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
I think the appropriate response to this behavior is "Are you willing and able to run this game? No? Then I suggest you relax and just roll with this." But hindsight is 20/20, right? ;)

I think that would have set him off earlier than the die-rolling thing. Dude seemed completely threatened by the presence of anything new or different. I got the impression he usually ran their game and made heavy use of uber-powerful DMPCs, probably as a means of compensating for the fact he was a single, overweight, unemployed man in his mid-30s, still living with his parents and sharing a room with his brother. His brother was far more gracious and even apologized while I packed up my books to go home.


Corathon wrote:
I've never played it; I'm an AD&D 1E guy. I do like Paizo and these boards, though. And porting stuff (spells. items, monsters) to my system is easy enough. Adventures are a little harder, but still workable.

Another edition I've never played -- I didn't start playing until the 2e AD&D era.

Terquem wrote:
We just called it by a different name then, but it was Pathfinder, in spirit in every way. ;)

I'm still confused. Are you saying that the Paizo team unknowingly cribbed Golarion from your group...?

Velcro Zipper wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
I think the appropriate response to this behavior is "Are you willing and able to run this game? No? Then I suggest you relax and just roll with this." But hindsight is 20/20, right? ;)
I think that would have set him off earlier than the die-rolling thing.

I'm not seeing a downside. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:


Terquem wrote:
We just called it by a different name then, but it was Pathfinder, in spirit in every way. ;)

I'm still confused. Are you saying that the Paizo team unknowingly cribbed Golarion from your group...?

Funny, I've played oodles of Pathfinder and yet only one out of several campaigns is set in Golarion. (And my personal preference is in fact not to play in Golarion.)


I suspect you wanted to ask, "What, you never played Pathfinder Society Adventure Paths before?", instead of "What, never played Pathfinder before?",

because the difference is significant.


Terquem wrote:

I suspect you wanted to ask, "What, you never played Pathfinder Society Adventure Paths before?", instead of "What, never played Pathfinder before?",

because the difference is significant.

Oh gods yes. I thought he was asking if we played PFRPG. It's the difference between asking "do you play D&D" and "do you play in the Forgotten Realms?" only even more specific.

The only adventure paths I've played have been in PBP, where all but one was aborted early on by the GM punking out. And the one that's kept going is one where the GM converted it to his homebrew setting, so it doesn't take place in Golarion.

Shadow Lodge

Terquem wrote:

I suspect you wanted to ask, "What, you never played Pathfinder Society Adventure Paths before?", instead of "What, never played Pathfinder before?",

because the difference is significant.

No, I think he just doesn't get your "spirit of Pathfinder" comment. Frankly I don't follow either.


Really? Okay. Pathfinder Role Playing Game, is a set of rules derived from the Dungeons and Dragons rules, version 3.5. Pathfinder is not a unique to Golarion setting experience, it is a set of guidlines for playing fantasy heroic games in the role playing game genre. I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons since 1976, and I still play Dungeons and Dragons, only I use the rules found in a book that says, "Pathfinder Role Playing Game - Core Rule Book" on the cover.

The rules found in the Core Rule Book, called Pathfinder, to me, are closer in spirit and experience of play to the game I have been playing since I was 12 years old, than the current version of a game called Dungeons and Dragons, as marketed by the game and toy company, Hasbro.

Is that clear? If not, well, I'll leave this thread anyway, as obviously my comments are a distraction from the topic.

Shadow Lodge

Gotcha.

It's admittedly a bit confusing when the purpose of the thread was "who here does not actually use the Pathfinder ruleset?".


To clarify, I'm just asking whether folks have/do play PFRPG.

DeathQuaker wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:


Terquem wrote:
We just called it by a different name then, but it was Pathfinder, in spirit in every way. ;)
I'm still confused. Are you saying that the Paizo team unknowingly cribbed Golarion from your group...?
Funny, I've played oodles of Pathfinder and yet only one out of several campaigns is set in Golarion. (And my personal preference is in fact not to play in Golarion.)

I don't have much preference for one setting or another as a player, but as a DM I definitely favor my home brew. :)

Terquem wrote:
The rules found in the Core Rule Book, called Pathfinder, to me, are closer in spirit and experience of play to the game I have been playing since I was 12 years old, than the current version of a game called Dungeons and Dragons, as marketed by the game and toy company, Hasbro.

Oh so you're basically saying "PF feels like the D&D I grew up with." Fair enough. I myself don't think any edition "feels" more like D&D than the others, but PF is one of them in all but name. And only lawyers care about names, so game on dude.

Andoran

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I play Pathfinder, and PFS. But I prefer 3.5 as well.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I also prefer Kirthfinder if I can't play 3.5. Mostly because I had a hand in it. :)

Shadow Lodge

Tequila Sunrise wrote:
DeathQuaker wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:


Terquem wrote:
We just called it by a different name then, but it was Pathfinder, in spirit in every way. ;)
I'm still confused. Are you saying that the Paizo team unknowingly cribbed Golarion from your group...?
Funny, I've played oodles of Pathfinder and yet only one out of several campaigns is set in Golarion. (And my personal preference is in fact not to play in Golarion.)
I don't have much preference for one setting or another as a player, but as a DM I definitely favor my home brew. :)

Same. I've never actually played in Golarion. A couple of games in FR, a couple in Greyhawk, one in Dragonlance, and from then on a bunch in my or one of my players' homebrews.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

I started with Basic in 1984, and have played all the editions. However, I am thoroughly enjoying GMing Pathfinder and teaching my stepchildren the game.

We have done the first three books of Serpents Skull and are embarking on a conversion I did of City of the Spider Queen.

My current conversion project is World's Largest Dungeon but that is an epic amount of work - quite the re-write needed, as well as updating to PF.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gamer Life / Gamer Talk / What, Never Played Pathfinder?! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.