Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Question about Iomedae


Pathfinder Campaign Setting General Discussion

Silver Crusade

I'm building a paladin of Iomedae for Pathfinder Society, and I have two very important questions.

First, I know that her favored weapon is a longsword. Looking in Faiths of Purity, her paladin code even talks about swords specifically. So do all paladins of Iomedae have to use a longsword as their primary weapon? I was thinking of doing an archer paladin, partially because I've been wanting to do an archery focused PC for a while, partially because the optimization guides say it's a good way to go for a paladin, and partially for RP reasons related to the character's back story. I'll definitely carry a longsword for melee situations, but the composite longbow will be my primary weapon, backed up by a bunch of archery feats. Would this be ok, or would Iomedae frown on one of her paladins not volunteering to be the party's front liner with a longsword every time?

Second, and just as importantly, how do you pronounce Iomedae's name?


Longswords are symbolic to her faith, but her paladins are free to use whatever weapon makes most sense. The enchanted holy sword of her faith that shows up in Curse of The Crimson Throne is a bastard sword, for example.


I usually say eye-OH-ma-day. But I've been wrong before.

Silver Crusade

TheWarriorPoet519 wrote:

Longswords are symbolic to her faith, but her paladins are free to use whatever weapon makes most sense. The enchanted holy sword of her faith that shows up in Curse of The Crimson Throne is a bastard sword, for example.

That's good to know. I figured as long as my paladin is smiting evil and behaving honorably, Iomedae wouldn't be too picky about the weapons used. And being an archer really works well with my character's back story.


I'm a YO-meh-die kind of person, myself.

Andoran

The pronunciation given Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting (the book that the Inner Sea World Guide replaced) is "ahy OH meh day". Although who's to say what regional dialects might go with?


Fromper wrote:
TheWarriorPoet519 wrote:

Longswords are symbolic to her faith, but her paladins are free to use whatever weapon makes most sense. The enchanted holy sword of her faith that shows up in Curse of The Crimson Throne is a bastard sword, for example.

That's good to know. I figured as long as my paladin is smiting evil and behaving honorably, Iomedae wouldn't be too picky about the weapons used. And being an archer really works well with my character's back story.

Archery is really more of a paladin of Erastil thing. I mean, play what you want to, but I've always thought that while they're not limited strictly, Iomedean paladins would lean heavily towards being meleeists.


that her paladins would, but they would not disregard ranged warfare

Silver Crusade

In this case, the character's back story is already well established, because she's a sister to two previous characters. The family's patron gods going back 6 generations have always been Aroden and Iomedae. So I know Erastil would be a better fit for an archer paladin, but this one has to worship Iomedae.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Fromper wrote:

In this case, the character's back story is already well established, because she's a sister to two previous characters. The family's patron gods going back 6 generations have always been Aroden and Iomedae. So I know Erastil would be a better fit for an archer paladin, but this one has to worship Iomedae.

So make her a archer and use it as a role play opportunity, with her family disapproving of her choice.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Campaign Setting / General Discussion / Question about Iomedae All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.