Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Star Wars 7


Movies

1 to 50 of 143 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Does any one want Star Wars 7 ruined for them? After all, it's like your going to forget the plot in two years. Right. RIGHT!?

:D

Anyway, I can't wait to see it. But I'm still mad that I'll be ninety-eight before the Copyright doth pass into all of our hands.


GM Elton wrote:
Does any one want Star Wars 7 ruined for them?

You mean George Lucas is going to have a hand in the writing and direction of the film?

Silver Crusade

Fig wrote:
GM Elton wrote:
Does any one want Star Wars 7 ruined for them?
You mean George Lucas is going to have a hand in the writing and direction of the film?

Just the plot.

7 through 9 are already plotted out. 10 through 12 are still concepts.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
GM Elton wrote:
Just the plot. 7 through 9 are already plotted out. 10 through 12 are still concepts.

I think I read most of the immediate following material in the Star Wars: Saga Edition books. Also, I genuinely thought those were some of the finest rule sets I have ever seen. Granted, it was for a space opera and I'm a bit more high fantasy, but I think the rules were progressive and concise to an almost perfect degree.

Plot Spoiler:
If I recall, it's a time of rebuilding for Luke. He re-establishes something to the effect of the Jedi Order, Han and Leia wed, and Chewie is killed. The remnants of the Vader/Sidious reign collect and take action against Luke, in the form of Mara (I think her name is). Maybe the Yuuzon Vong appear?

Silver Crusade

Fig wrote:
GM Elton wrote:
Just the plot. 7 through 9 are already plotted out. 10 through 12 are still concepts.

I think I read most of the immediate following material in the Star Wars: Saga Edition books. Also, I genuinely thought those were some of the finest rule sets I have ever seen. Granted, it was for a space opera and I'm a bit more high fantasy, but I think the rules were progressive and concise to an almost perfect degree.

** spoiler omitted **

7 through 9 has no mention of Yuuzon Vong in the plots. Although, Ben Skywalker and Anakin Solo are in 7 through 9.

The SW d20 rules are the best iteration of the old d20 Rules -- EVER!

Qadira

1 person marked this as a favorite.

And here I was hoping they would break canon with the Novels...

Perhaps Disney could reboot one through three with Anakin as a cheating Bastard who designs and tests Fighters and has Luke and Leia by different Mothers; and then it is Anakin who Kills Vader and takes his place by the Emperor's Side.

The Outbound Project that was sent out during the Time of the Republic triggers an all out invasion.


Wasn't there a decent zombie episode at some point in the novels? That would make an entirely worthwhile Episode VIII. Or Episode II for that matter...

Shadow Lodge

GM Elton wrote:
Fig wrote:
GM Elton wrote:
Does any one want Star Wars 7 ruined for them?
You mean George Lucas is going to have a hand in the writing and direction of the film?

Just the plot.

7 through 9 are already plotted out. 10 through 12 are still concepts.

Where are you getting this information from? From what I have read they will not be using any of Lucas' story lines for 7-9.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Asphere wrote:
GM Elton wrote:
Fig wrote:
GM Elton wrote:
Does any one want Star Wars 7 ruined for them?
You mean George Lucas is going to have a hand in the writing and direction of the film?

Just the plot.

7 through 9 are already plotted out. 10 through 12 are still concepts.

Where are you getting this information from? From what I have read they will not be using any of Lucas' story lines for 7-9.

From what I have heard, they will not be using any of the previous cannon material for Episode VII, or they at least wont be telling one of the already told stories.

I wouldn't mind seeing it set in those time periods with the Skywalker and Solo children, But don't expect a moon to be dropped on Chewie in the next movie.


Caineach wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing it set in those time periods with the Skywalker and Solo children, But don't expect a moon to be dropped on Chewie in the next movie.

ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT THE SPAWN OF CHEWIE WILL NOT BE OUT FOR REVENGE?

Actually, I think I would pay to see that movie.

Beyond my snarky comments, I really haven't heard anything other than Lucas is "passing the SW torch" to a new generation of (competent) filmmakers. What the story contains is beyond me, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of the ABY stories played out. Heck, as a Dune fan, I would be very interested to see the Yuuzon Vong story told. Maybe do Episode VII immediately following Yavin, and set the following episodes a few generations removed from the previous ones.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I'd love it if they ran with Timothy Zahn's Thrawn story-line. That'd be pretty fantastic. Thrawn was such a compelling villain.

Silver Crusade

It was reported on CNN this morning that Episode 7 will be an original story with no connection at all to any of the expanded universe story.


That makes me wonder what time frame within the Star Wars Universe they'll set the movies. I remain cautiously optimistic!


For folks who like me would mostly want to see EU canon preserved, in what window would you slip the events of 7-9?

I'm thinking you do it sometime after the Thrawn Trilogy/Dark Empire (5-6 years after Jedi if I recall) but before the invasion of the Vong (25 years later?). You need some sort of Imperial remnant.

That said, I'd probably like to see a plot line that heavily focuses on some exploration, lost Sith artifacts, outer rim underworld characters, etc.

Silver Crusade

Asphere wrote:
GM Elton wrote:
Fig wrote:
GM Elton wrote:
Does any one want Star Wars 7 ruined for them?
You mean George Lucas is going to have a hand in the writing and direction of the film?

Just the plot.

7 through 9 are already plotted out. 10 through 12 are still concepts.

Where are you getting this information from? From what I have read they will not be using any of Lucas' story lines for 7-9.

SuperShadow. SuperShadow is (now was, I think) a LucasFilm insider. He's is George Lucas' best friend. According to him, George has everything plotted to nine, and 10 and 12 are concepts. Now that Disney has them, I think the plots will be changed from their original form as they go into development.

Trust me, though, the next three movies have been plotted.

And no, based on what I've been reading on the boards, I'll go back on my offer to spoil the plot. Too many people here are excited that there will be a new Star Wars. And I'm glad.


GM Elton wrote:
Asphere wrote:
GM Elton wrote:
Fig wrote:
GM Elton wrote:
Does any one want Star Wars 7 ruined for them?
You mean George Lucas is going to have a hand in the writing and direction of the film?

Just the plot.

7 through 9 are already plotted out. 10 through 12 are still concepts.

Where are you getting this information from? From what I have read they will not be using any of Lucas' story lines for 7-9.

SuperShadow. SuperShadow is (now was, I think) a LucasFilm insider. He's is George Lucas' best friend. According to him, George has everything plotted to nine, and 10 and 12 are concepts. Now that Disney has them, I think the plots will be changed from their original form as they go into development.

Trust me, though, the next three movies have been plotted.

And no, based on what I've been reading on the boards, I'll go back on my offer to spoil the plot. Too many people here are excited that there will be a new Star Wars. And I'm glad.

They're easy enough to find, based on that info.

There's much controversy about Supershadow, to say the least. Lucasfilms has denied any connection. The script he released of the first prequel bore little resemblance to the movie, which he blamed on it being a rough draft.

I don't think there's any reason to believe his plot summaries are in any way official.

Shadow Lodge

LOL Supershadow...that is good stuff. That guy is a nut.

"The site and the person who runs it, have absolutely no relationship with Lucasfilm or George Lucas. The person who runs it has never met nor talked to George Lucas. So-called information, "scoops", and interviews on the site are complete fabrications. Lucasfilm has taken action against the site several times when it has attempted to solicit fans' money under false pretenses."
―Pablo Hidalgo[src]

Silver Crusade

Sorry, Asphere.

He may be telling a falsehood in our universe, but in another he's everything he says he is. I don't think personally hurts me too have SuperShadow exposed to me. I just know that Star Wars 7 is in development and it should be very, very good.


Supershadow is a fraud. Don't believe a thing that website says. He is a fraud and attention monger. He craves for Lucas to contact him regarding his outrageous lies just so he can talk with him. He has gone way overboard and Lucasfilm has unsuccessfully tried to shut him down.

As for Episode 7, 8, 9 etc...Lucas has ideas, lots of them. He will be consultant to the people creating the new movies, a guide like Ben Kenobi was to Luke Skywalker. It will be a great thing with today's effects. It is better than watching Star Wars die and dissolve with time. It's time to relight the fire under the Star Wars universe and watch it breath new life once more. It's time for a progression of the story finally, and more stories that can capture the heart and imaginations of today's audience.

May the force be with you...

Osirion RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4; Contributor; Publisher, Legendary Games

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Speaking of capturing the audience, I think the Clone Wars show has done an excellent job of reinventing the Star Wars universe for a new generation. I watch the show and think it's very well done, but in terms of growing a new generation of Star Wars fans I can tell you that it is also extremely popular in the elementary school where I teach.


Yup, SuperShadow is a fraudster and repeatedly-proven liar. Nothing he says has any validity whatsoever. He has no inside knowledge and does not know George Lucas, personally or otherwise.

What we do know about Episode VII is that it will:

1) Be produced and overseen by Kathleen Kennedy. Lucas will have a creative consultant/non-active producer credit but will otherwise play no role in the creation of the films.

2) Be made and released by Disney.

3) Be an 'original story' and will not be based on any pre-existing computer game, comic or novel.

Beyond that nothing has been confirmed. We have no idea on if the Expanded Universe will be maintained or deleted/rendered an alternate canon (the latter seems much more likely) or if the story will revolve around established characters like Luke, Leia, Chewie and Han or a new generation of characters. Hamill and Fisher are apparently open to returning, possibly in limited cameo roles, whilst Ford will apparently not return for all the money in the world.

I don't think we can even rule out a story that picks up shortly after RotJ with the existing roles re-cast, as sacriligious as that would be to some fans.


Huh. I wonder why Ford is so against the idea of reprising the role even to a small degree.

Silver Crusade

SuperSlayer wrote:

Supershadow is a fraud. Don't believe a thing that website says. He is a fraud and attention monger. He craves for Lucas to contact him regarding his outrageous lies just so he can talk with him. He has gone way overboard and Lucasfilm has unsuccessfully tried to shut him down.

As for Episode 7, 8, 9 etc...Lucas has ideas, lots of them. He will be consultant to the people creating the new movies, a guide like Ben Kenobi was to Luke Skywalker. It will be a great thing with today's effects. It is better than watching Star Wars die and dissolve with time. It's time to relight the fire under the Star Wars universe and watch it breath new life once more. It's time for a progression of the story finally, and more stories that can capture the heart and imaginations of today's audience.

May the force be with you...

I'd rather George declared that "Star Wars is now in the public domain." After that is done, all he had to do is sit back and watch the fireworks. Novelists would be able to write (excuse my French) the hell whatever they want in Star Wars. Filmmakers can do whatever they wanted. Game programmers (and RPG game writers) can work with a proven franchise and run with it all the way.

It would have been unprecedented, but with all the fan films it would have been better if he had. Star Wars and Star Trek are the only properties that I've seen where fan films are made seriously. The genre is not with out it's satire (Chad Vader anyone?).

One guy had the perfect idea for a Star Wars VII. The premise is that the movie is set it very far in the future, the Force is in perfect balance to begin with and the entire Galaxy is in harmony, but evil returned to the Galaxy and the whole cycle of Light vs. Dark begins anew. A lone man is guided by a Jedi Force Ghost to restart the Jedi Order -- as Evil is restoring the Sith Empire. Star Wars invokes a lot of Creativity, and that should be encouraged not damned. Excuse my French again.


If Ford is offered the right amount of money I'm sure he'll do it. We don't even know if those characters will return tho, and if they do they probably won't be the main stars anymore.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber
Jason Nelson wrote:
Speaking of capturing the audience, I think the Clone Wars show has done an excellent job of reinventing the Star Wars universe for a new generation. I watch the show and think it's very well done, but in terms of growing a new generation of Star Wars fans I can tell you that it is also extremely popular in the elementary school where I teach.

This, so very much. Most of the kids that are into Star Wars these days seem to be coming into the fandom primarily through that series.


Mikaze wrote:
Jason Nelson wrote:
Speaking of capturing the audience, I think the Clone Wars show has done an excellent job of reinventing the Star Wars universe for a new generation. I watch the show and think it's very well done, but in terms of growing a new generation of Star Wars fans I can tell you that it is also extremely popular in the elementary school where I teach.
This, so very much. Most of the kids that are into Star Wars these days seem to be coming into the fandom primarily through that series.

I truly love Clone Wars. It's a lot of fun.


sirmattdusty wrote:
It was reported on CNN this morning that Episode 7 will be an original story with no connection at all to any of the expanded universe story.

Hnn. Interesting.


I get that "Supershadow" is a little creative with the truth.

Does he write stuff worth reading?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jason Nelson wrote:
Speaking of capturing the audience, I think the Clone Wars show has done an excellent job of reinventing the Star Wars universe for a new generation. I watch the show and think it's very well done, but in terms of growing a new generation of Star Wars fans I can tell you that it is also extremely popular in the elementary school where I teach.

The real problem with "The Clone Wars" series is that it puts people in the position of rooting for Anakin Skywalker (.. And we know how that turns out).

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

I actually think that's one of its strengths. The friend that pushed me to watch partially sold it as "doing a better job of characterizing and making you empathize with Anakin than the films did". It makes his fall actually hurt, knowing it's coming.

Freehold DM wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
Jason Nelson wrote:
Speaking of capturing the audience, I think the Clone Wars show has done an excellent job of reinventing the Star Wars universe for a new generation. I watch the show and think it's very well done, but in terms of growing a new generation of Star Wars fans I can tell you that it is also extremely popular in the elementary school where I teach.
This, so very much. Most of the kids that are into Star Wars these days seem to be coming into the fandom primarily through that series.
I truly love Clone Wars. It's a lot of fun.

That and it does some things you'd think the movies would have done by now, and it does them pretty well.

Spoiler:
Like that zero-g fight involving Cad Bane

still need to start watching Season 3...currently still finishing season 1 of Avatar...

Osirion RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4; Contributor; Publisher, Legendary Games

I agree. Anakin benefits a lot from the time to develop, and so does Obi-Wan really, although he had a lot more meat on his narrative bones already.

The Clone Wars saga in its first season was mostly the Anakin and Obi-Wan show, with General Grievous and Count Dooku as the stock villains, but it has done a very nice job as the seasons have gone on in developing its other characters as viable leads in their own right and in developing an expanded universe with internal consistency and recurring villains.


Quote:
Huh. I wonder why Ford is so against the idea of reprising the role even to a small degree.

He feels that Han Solo is a very limited and 'thin' character compared to Indiana Jones. He came back for Indy IV as he liked the idea of playing Indy as an older man and passing the torch to a new generation, but doesn't seem to find the same interest for Solo. Maybe if they were going to kill off Solo he'd come back to give the character closure, but otherwise if he came back it would blatantly be for the money and he might just phone it in.


Werthead wrote:
Quote:
Huh. I wonder why Ford is so against the idea of reprising the role even to a small degree.
He feels that Han Solo is a very limited and 'thin' character compared to Indiana Jones. He came back for Indy IV as he liked the idea of playing Indy as an older man and passing the torch to a new generation, but doesn't seem to find the same interest for Solo. Maybe if they were going to kill off Solo he'd come back to give the character closure, but otherwise if he came back it would blatantly be for the money and he might just phone it in.

He came back for Indy 4 because he was paid $60,000,000. I doubt any of the original characters will come back for the Upcomng Disney Wars movies.

Qadira

Werthead wrote:
Quote:
Huh. I wonder why Ford is so against the idea of reprising the role even to a small degree.
He feels that Han Solo is a very limited and 'thin' character compared to Indiana Jones. He came back for Indy IV as he liked the idea of playing Indy as an older man and passing the torch to a new generation, but doesn't seem to find the same interest for Solo. Maybe if they were going to kill off Solo he'd come back to give the character closure, but otherwise if he came back it would blatantly be for the money and he might just phone it in.

I always wanted to know about the things that happened between the movies...What happened with the Bounty Hunter that Han runs into on Oard Mendel?


6 people marked this as a favorite.

I'd love 7 to go in a direction that completely invalidates every book and comic that has come out since Return of the Jedi, just to watch heads explode...


It's going to, because when making the movies they don't have in interest in previous expanded universe stuff. Expanded Universe is basically official fanfic, nothing more.


Quote:
I always wanted to know about the things that happened between the movies...What happened with the Bounty Hunter that Han runs into on Oard Mendel?

It was either a reference to a bounty hunter named Skorr or the droid IG88, according to the Expanded Universe :-)

Quote:
It's going to, because when making the movies they don't have in interest in previous expanded universe stuff. Expanded Universe is basically official fanfic, nothing more.

Not entirely correct. Characters from the EU have shown up in the movies, and of course Coruscant first appeared, was named and detailed in the novels almost a decade before showing up in Episode I.

I doubt that they'll let EU material dictate what they can or cannot do in the new films, but I also strongly suspect they will continue cherry-picking ideas and characters from it.


GM Elton wrote:

Excuse my French again.

Frenchies? Where? Grrrr......


Of course you mean "Excuse my Freedom again." =)


GM Elton wrote:


7 through 9 has no mention of Yuuzon Vong in the plots

There's a good reason for that... They couldn't show the Vuuzhan Vong in a movie without making it R rated. They're too violent and their battles are too gory...


Harark wrote:
GM Elton wrote:


7 through 9 has no mention of Yuuzon Vong in the plots
There's a good reason for that... They couldn't show the Vuuzhan Vong in a movie without making it R rated. They're too violent and their battles are too gory...

They really went overboard with the Vong. Hopefully the Chiss will be future antagonists.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Harark wrote:
GM Elton wrote:


7 through 9 has no mention of Yuuzon Vong in the plots
There's a good reason for that... They couldn't show the Vuuzhan Vong in a movie without making it R rated. They're too violent and their battles are too gory...

And they are dumb.


sirmattdusty wrote:
It was reported on CNN this morning that Episode 7 will be an original story with no connection at all to any of the expanded universe story.

Great news. The EU can go bye-bye, IMO. (Cherry pick a few names and the like, but otherwise ignore. As another poster notes, 'official fanfic' indeed.)


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Quote:
Great news. The EU can go bye-bye, IMO. (Cherry pick a few names and the like, but otherwise ignore. As another poster notes, 'official fanfic' indeed.)

The problem being that a lot of that 'official' fanfic is effortlessly superior to 4/6s of the official, original movies. So after Eps 4 and 5, the very next best slice of the STAR WARS universe (by very rough general consensus) are the KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC games, with the X-WING and JEDI KNIGHT series also up there. Then you have the best novels (TRAITOR by Matt Stove, maybe Zahn's original trilogy and some of the better X-WING books by Stackpole and Allston), followed by RETURN OF THE JEDI, maybe a few more EU things and then the prequel trilogy. Right at the bottom of the barrel, of course, is the pile of intellectual debris that is anything with 'Kevin J. Anderson' written on it, and of course the Holiday Special.

There's a lot wrong with the EU, to be sure, but it should also be remembered that KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC did reignite a lot of love for STAR WARS a few months after ATTACK OF THE CLONES threatened to extinguish it altogether.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Yeah, as much as I hate most stuff written under Del Rey ( basically everything after they killed Anakin Solo ), there is a lot of good material, too. Invalidating all that would alienate way more fans than keeping most of it.


OTOH, keeping all that in canon and trying to fit new movies into the timeline isn't going to happen. The overwhelming majority of the potential audience will know little or nothing of the EU.
So anything they use of any significance will have to be explained. They can't even just assume the Thrawn trilogy and use characters and plot points from it to set up the movies. They'd have to introduce and fill the audience in on everything that happened.

If they're smart, they'll steal things from it and throw in some fan service, but not keep it wholesale.

You know, much like comics movies don't keep the whole history of their characters.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
thejeff wrote:

OTOH, keeping all that in canon and trying to fit new movies into the timeline isn't going to happen. The overwhelming majority of the potential audience will know little or nothing of the EU.

So anything they use of any significance will have to be explained. They can't even just assume the Thrawn trilogy and use characters and plot points from it to set up the movies. They'd have to introduce and fill the audience in on everything that happened.

If they're smart, they'll steal things from it and throw in some fan service, but not keep it wholesale.

You know, much like comics movies don't keep the whole history of their characters.

No, they actually don't have to explain that, unless they actively want to. Nobody needs to know what exactly happened after episode six, only the most necessary cliff notes.

"The New Republic was founded, Luke Skywalker rebuilt the Jedi Order, The End". Everything after that is optional and could be used for the set-up of the actual plot of the new trilogy.

If a Chiss appears, you don't need to dump a ton on information on the viewer of all the intricacies of the Ascendancy and the structure of the noble houses of Czilla. Just have some fresh farmboy character who asks "Who is that?" and the mentor character can go "Ah, it's Ambassador Whatsisface, from the Chiss Ascendancy. They are from the Outer Rim and allied with the Republic". Or somesuch. That's all that is needed to explain new races. And you don't even need to do that. Lucas surely did not create an expository scene when introducing his menagery of aliens.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There is no point in continuing the original story with 7,8 and 9 without any of the original characters in it. They might as well start fresh with a new story outside of 7,8, and 9. Since they are continuing the story I do think there will be appearances from original characters in it, otherwise what's the point in continuing the original saga. They could just start something new, something else in the Star Wars universe that has nothing to do with the Skywalker family or the Rebel Alliance.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I still say Star Wars: Legacy would be the way to go. Tons of cool protagonists and antagonists, interesting setting, good story. Sadly it seems that they want to go with something completely original, which will probably invalidate that timeline. Le sigh.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Whereever and whenever the next movie picks up, I'm sure the opening crawl will give us enough of a foundation to start from.

"Shortly after establishing the New Republic, remnants of the Galactic Empire have rallied behind the militarily brilliant Grand Admiral Thrawn. Blah blah blah... three paragraphs is plenty to tell us what we need to know... blah blah blah..."

<dramatic space shot of the underside of a spaceship>

<cue explosions/dialogue/whatever>

1 to 50 of 143 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gamer Life / Movies / Star Wars 7 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.