Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

General rules help


Pathfinder Society® General Discussion


On the east coast, so I started a Society game tonight for something to do as we bore out the storm.

Everything went pretty well, but I'm left with several questions.

First off, equipment. I read through the Society Guide, all the 'buy mundane items', etc. That being said, I ran through the first of the First Step set. Several items were found, including some good armor.

So how does that work? Do the characters get to split and keep the loot as per usual? Can they sell it back (for 50%, I caught that)? Or do they only get to keep the gp rewards and the items on the Chronicle list?

I see it's generally magic items that appear on the Chronicle reward list... but several enemies had potions of cure light wounds, and I didn't see those on the reward list. How are those handled?

Second, the Max GP on the Chronicle list. Between selling mundane items, money found on enemies that are defeated, and the gp awards, it's feasible to get more than that.. do I cap it all off, beyond the Max GP and the Day Job bonus?

Finally (for now, at least); the Starting GP. For making new characters, they get 150 gold to spend. Is the Starting GP on the sheet (for a brand new character, first session/mission, etc) supposed to be 150, or should it be the amount of gold they have left -after- they buy their starting gear?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any enlightenment.

The Exchange ****

part 1 - Equipment. Nope you don't get anything at all if you don't pay gold for it.

Part 2 - gold - you only get the gold on your chronicle sheet

Part 3 - The Pathfinder society organized play guide has a list of always available items (including first level scrolls, and potions, and +1 items) that are always available to purchase (as such they wouldn't be on a chronicle sheet)

Items found on during a scenario can be used (basically for free) until the end of the adventure.

The money listed in each section is there in case the PCs only partially complete the adventure (such as in a case of TPK at higher level, or running out of time at a convention)

Final question, the amount of gold leftover from your 150 starting GP.

Also consult the organized play guide, on fame and prestige.

Note that if you buy an Item with Prestige points; it ignores the fame requirement.


Paul Barczik wrote:
So how does that work? Do the characters get to split and keep the loot as per usual? Can they sell it back (for 50%, I caught that)? Or do they only get to keep the gp rewards and the items on the Chronicle list?

They only get the gp rewards, but may purchase any items on the Chronicle sheet even if they couldn't otherwise do so.

Paul Barczik wrote:
I see it's generally magic items that appear on the Chronicle reward list... but several enemies had potions of cure light wounds, and I didn't see those on the reward list. How are those handled?

Potions of cure light wounds are always available, so there's no reason to add them.

Paul Barczik wrote:
Second, the Max GP on the Chronicle list. Between selling mundane items, money found on enemies that are defeated, and the gp awards, it's feasible to get more than that.. do I cap it all off, beyond the Max GP and the Day Job bonus?

The gp awards/max gold are more or less "you loot the room/body, sell everything, and split the money" precalculated so you don't have to.

Paul Barczik wrote:
Finally (for now, at least); the Starting GP. For making new characters, they get 150 gold to spend. Is the Starting GP on the sheet (for a brand new character, first session/mission, etc) supposed to be 150, or should it be the amount of gold they have left -after- they buy their starting gear?

It's 150 minus starting gear.


Alright, I understand better now. Thanks!

***** RPG Superstar 2008 Top 16 aka Sir_Wulf

Paul Barczik wrote:
Do the characters get to split and keep the loot as per usual? Can they sell it back (for 50%, I caught that)? Or do they only get to keep the gp rewards and the items on the Chronicle list?

Treasure is treated as if the party had sold everything and split up the "take". Characters who want to keep an item take its full retail value out of their share (exactly as if they had bought it...).

Paul Barczik wrote:
... but several enemies had potions of cure light wounds, and I didn't see those on the reward list. How are those handled?

+1 armor, shields, and weapons, and 1st level potions and scrolls are always available for characters' purchase, so they aren't placed on the chronicles.

Paul Barczik wrote:
Second, the Max GP on the Chronicle list. Between selling mundane items, money found on enemies that are defeated, and the gp awards, it's feasible to get more than that. do I cap it all off, beyond the Max GP and the Day Job bonus?

The Max GP + their day job results is the most gold that they can get. Otherwise, industrious scroungers ("I take the door off its hinges and sell it! It had a good lock, worth a few gold!") would soon outstrip the others' wealth.

Paul Barczik wrote:
For making new characters, they get 150 gold to spend. Is the Starting GP on the sheet (for a brand new character, first session/mission, etc) supposed to be 150, or should it be the amount of gold they have left -after- they buy their starting gear?

I list the amount left over after they gear up.

****

James MacKenzie wrote:
Paul Barczik wrote:
Do the characters get to split and keep the loot as per usual? Can they sell it back (for 50%, I caught that)? Or do they only get to keep the gp rewards and the items on the Chronicle list?

Treasure is treated as if the party had sold everything and split up the "take". Characters who want to keep an item take its full retail value out of their share (exactly as if they had bought it...).

Paul Barczik wrote:
... but several enemies had potions of cure light wounds, and I didn't see those on the reward list. How are those handled?

+1 armor, shields, and weapons, and 1st level potions and scrolls are always available for characters' purchase, so they aren't placed on the chronicles.

Paul Barczik wrote:
Second, the Max GP on the Chronicle list. Between selling mundane items, money found on enemies that are defeated, and the gp awards, it's feasible to get more than that. do I cap it all off, beyond the Max GP and the Day Job bonus?

The Max GP + their day job results is the most gold that they can get. Otherwise, industrious scroungers ("I take the door off its hinges and sell it! It had a good lock, worth a few gold!") would soon outstrip the others' wealth.

Paul Barczik wrote:
For making new characters, they get 150 gold to spend. Is the Starting GP on the sheet (for a brand new character, first session/mission, etc) supposed to be 150, or should it be the amount of gold they have left -after- they buy their starting gear?
I list the amount left over after they gear up.

Indeed. The only time I write down all the starting gear is with GM credit characters and that's just to make sure I don't screw up the math.


Moar questions! Figured I might as well re-use this thread, no?

1.) Would I be correct in presuming that Season 3 Scenarios are still legal to run/report?

2.) The Guide says to use a pregen character if your group needs an extra body. Would it also be alright to create my own character, following the creation rules, for this purpose? I know that reporting as a GM means I couldn't report said character, I'm just curious if I could use him/her legally.

Shadow Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Washington—Eastern Washington , Star Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015 aka WalterGM

1. All seasons are legal for play, although there are some season 0 scenarios labeled *retired* that are not legal for play.

2. Negative. You've got to use a pregen. The reasoning for this is to keep things standardized and simple. Luckily, there are 7 to choose from, so you should be able to fill any gap in the party composition.


Thanks. Speaking of party composition... I've yet to be to a con event; how's that handled? I would imagine with random players, it could be possible to get a table of mostly squishy mage-types. Or is there a method of sorting?

***** Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka CRobledo

Paul Barczik wrote:
Thanks. Speaking of party composition... I've yet to be to a con event; how's that handled? I would imagine with random players, it could be possible to get a table of mostly squishy mage-types. Or is there a method of sorting?

There is no sorting to my knowledge based on class/role type. There is totally the chance of getting a table with 5 clerics. If multiple tables of the same scenario are being run at the same time, I have seen players shuffle tables to get a better composition. But it's usually player-driven, not by the organizers.

Sovereign Court ***** Venture-Captain, West Virginia—Charleston , Marathon Voter 2014 aka Netopalis

CRobledo wrote:
Paul Barczik wrote:
Thanks. Speaking of party composition... I've yet to be to a con event; how's that handled? I would imagine with random players, it could be possible to get a table of mostly squishy mage-types. Or is there a method of sorting?
There is no sorting to my knowledge based on class/role type. There is totally the chance of getting a table with 5 clerics. If multiple tables of the same scenario are being run at the same time, I have seen players shuffle tables to get a better composition. But it's usually player-driven, not by the organizers.

You talk about a table of 5 clerics like it's a bad thing. :P

Silver Crusade ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps, Modules Subscriber
Netopalis wrote:
CRobledo wrote:
Paul Barczik wrote:
Thanks. Speaking of party composition... I've yet to be to a con event; how's that handled? I would imagine with random players, it could be possible to get a table of mostly squishy mage-types. Or is there a method of sorting?
There is no sorting to my knowledge based on class/role type. There is totally the chance of getting a table with 5 clerics. If multiple tables of the same scenario are being run at the same time, I have seen players shuffle tables to get a better composition. But it's usually player-driven, not by the organizers.
You talk about a table of 5 clerics like it's a bad thing. :P

Horrible; that's 4 tables without cleric love!

Liberty's Edge ****

Sabre wrote:
Netopalis wrote:
CRobledo wrote:
Paul Barczik wrote:
Thanks. Speaking of party composition... I've yet to be to a con event; how's that handled? I would imagine with random players, it could be possible to get a table of mostly squishy mage-types. Or is there a method of sorting?
There is no sorting to my knowledge based on class/role type. There is totally the chance of getting a table with 5 clerics. If multiple tables of the same scenario are being run at the same time, I have seen players shuffle tables to get a better composition. But it's usually player-driven, not by the organizers.
You talk about a table of 5 clerics like it's a bad thing. :P
Horrible; that's 4 tables without cleric love!

I can just see that sung in an imitation Elvis voice...

Spoiler:
On a related note, we had a table of First Steps, Part 2 run with 3 of the PCs being Clerics. Widely different clerics, admittedly, but 3 clerics.
Pharasma, Sarenrae, and Undead Lord of Yon-Kuthon (back when Undead Lord was still legal)

Alas, poor George, who was just going to manage to be usable for more than just one scenario...
Scenario 1: Forzen Fingers: No companion, didn't think I could get one for it.
Scenario 2: FSP2: George I gave his unlife against an acidic blob, along with the skeleton I commanded, but they saved the rest of the party damage.
Scenario 3: FSP1: George II lost his unlife against Ledford, IIRC.
At which point, just as George III was going to be a bloody skeleton, Undead Lord got removed as a legal choice. Sigh.


Ugh. Got another one, sorry... I must be overlooking it in the Society Guide. Where/what exactly is the Scenario Chronicle # for a scenario?

Liberty's Edge ****

Paul Barczik wrote:
Ugh. Got another one, sorry... I must be overlooking it in the Society Guide. Where/what exactly is the Scenario Chronicle # for a scenario?

That is simply a consecutive number assigned by the player for each chroncicle sheet his PC earns.

First chronicle is #1, second is #2, so ona dn so forth through the PC's career.

Each PC has his own numbering, starting, always, at #1.

The final count can be different for each PC, as regular modules countr as a single chronicle number, but frequently give 3 XP, while racial or other con unlock boon chronicles, holiday/seasonal boon chronicles, Pathfinder Tales chronicles, and Quest chronicles all count as a chronicle number, but give no XP.

Oddly, with the right timing, you could have a PC with 12-13 chronicles before he has any XP. Race unlock chronicle, 11 Pathfinder Tales chronicles, maybe a holiday or quest chronicle, then an actual scenario or module chronicle. Oy.

Paizo Employee ***

Paul Barczik wrote:
Thanks. Speaking of party composition... I've yet to be to a con event; how's that handled? I would imagine with random players, it could be possible to get a table of mostly squishy mage-types. Or is there a method of sorting?

One of my more memorable games was playing tier 6-7 of In Wrath's Shadow as a group of 5 "squishies". Party consisted of a sorceress, witch, wizard, pregen cleric, and my bard. Combats were interesting since we didn't have to account for the usual melee characters with high init that immediately limit our use of AoE and my bards LoS as an archer (who also served as trapfinder, door-opener, and damage dealer - as a halfling doing d4+2 per arrow). Very cool to see lock-downs, buffs, debuffs, and AoE spells in all their glory.

Paizo Employee ***

kinevon wrote:


I can just see that sung in an imitation Elvis voice...

Thank you, thank you very much.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / General rules help All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.