Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Custom Staves for PFS?


Pathfinder Society® General Discussion

*

Assuming you have the Prestige and cash for it are custom staves allowed in PFS?

I know your character can't personally take the item creation feats.

*

You can not have anything custom. You can, with the correct amount of prestige, buy any legal staff listed in the book, but you can not create a custom set of spells for a staff.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

No, all items have to be from the books, and allowed resources as they are.

*

Melee gets to pick and choose their weapon enchantments, but casters can't do the same for staves? That's disheartening.

*

That's because the Core Rulebook specifically describes all of those melee options and gives pricing for purchase. The staves section lacks that and leaves it up to the crafting rules and the GM, thus we can not have custom staves. If the CRB had a table with stave purchase price per spell level (like we have for wands) then custom staves may have been made PFS legal.

*

I can understand with, but not agree with , the ruling on this but there are actually very clear and concise rules for staff creation under the "Magic Item Creation" section of the Magic Item chapter in the rule book. It is not "left to GM discretion" as you imply.

For example:

"The materials cost is subsumed in the cost of creation: 400 gp × the level of the highest-level spell × the level of the caster, plus 75% of the value of the next most costly ability (300 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster), plus 1/2 the value of any other abilities (200 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster). Staves are always fully charged (10 charges) when created."

Seems like those are staff creation rules, and very clear ones at that.

Shadow Lodge ****

Lochmonster wrote:

I can understand with, but not agree with , the ruling on this but there are actually very clear and concise rules for staff creation under the "Magic Item Creation" section of the Magic Item chapter in the rule book. It is not "left to GM discretion" as you imply.

For example:

"The materials cost is subsumed in the cost of creation: 400 gp × the level of the highest-level spell × the level of the caster, plus 75% of the value of the next most costly ability (300 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster), plus 1/2 the value of any other abilities (200 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster). Staves are always fully charged (10 charges) when created."

Seems like those are staff creation rules, and very clear ones at that.

That's a pricing guideline. Guidelines do not equal rules.

There are rules on how to price a +1 frost weapon.

There are only guidelines on how to price a CL 20 Endure Elements Staff.

*

I see nothing in the introductory text to Item Creation that states or even implies the text is a mere guidelines, nor does it specifically state GMs have any more or less discretion when it comes to magic item creation than they do in any other aspect of the game.

The rules appear to be very clear to me unless I have missed some text somewhere.

Either way I can't have one in PFS which was the point of this thread.

Thanks for the answers and the info.

Grand Lodge ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Lochmonster wrote:

Melee gets to pick and choose their weapon enchantments, but casters can't do the same for staves? That's disheartening.

You get to pick and choose your staves, the spells you have in your book. Here, have a bucket.

*

Lochmonster wrote:

I see nothing in the introductory text to Item Creation that states or even implies the text is a mere guidelines, nor does it specifically state GMs have any more or less discretion when it comes to magic item creation than they do in any other aspect of the game.

The rules appear to be very clear to me unless I have missed some text somewhere.

Either way I can't have one in PFS which was the point of this thread.

Thanks for the answers and the info.

"Many factors must be considered when determining the price of new magic items. The easiest way to come up with a price is to compare the new item to an item that is already priced, using that price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values." First sentence of Magic Item Gold Piece Values

*

My confusion comes from you saying the rules further down the page for weapon creation are rules but the ones further, further down for staves are guildelines.

It says "To create a magic weapon..." and those are RULES

Then it says "To create a magic staff..." but those are just guidelnes?!?

I still don't see where the cost creation rules for staves state that they are not actually the hard and fast rules for staff creation and pricing.

Also I always understood that SPECIFIC rules supersede general rules so wouldn't the specific staff CREATION rules trump the general magic item PRICING rules?

Not trying to be contrary, I just don't see what you are seeing.

To me it seems like creating a staff of fireballs price is just simply plugging the numbers into the staff creation and pricing equation. Just like buying a +2 Furious Bane of Undead Greatsword is a matter of plugging the numbers into the Magic Weapon Pricing equation.

Is it not?

Grand Lodge *****

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

There are additional Staves available in Ultimate Equipment.

Additional Resources: Ultimate Equipment wrote:
All staves on pages 192–203, except unholy staff, are legal for play.

*

ALL pricing for magic item creation in the Magic Item Creation section are a guideline. If I created a custom wondrous item or ring or staff my GM would use this exact section to help me price it but the rules say to first compare it to other magic items and use the table (your pricing equation) as a last resort. Thus it is a subjective rule that varies from GM to GM. One GM may say it costs X while one GM says Y and another uses the table for estimating. This is why ALL magic item creation is non-approved for PFS play. No one gets custom magic items. Only items that already have purchase values attached to them by a developer / writer are allowed. These purchase values have gone through the gambit and found to be fair valuations by the staff.


Lochmonster wrote:

To me it seems like creating a staff of fireballs price is just simply plugging the numbers into the staff creation and pricing equation. Just like buying a +2 Furious Bane of Undead Greatsword is a matter of plugging the numbers into the Magic Weapon Pricing equation.

Is it not?

The PFS Guide wording is vague, but the interpretation has always been pretty consistent: you can buy anything that's specifically mentioned on the magic item tables, plus a limited number of potions and scrolls.

(I've probably missed something, but that's how I generally think about it. If it's not on one of the tables, tough bananas.)

*

Lab_Rat wrote:
ALL pricing for magic item creation in the Magic Item Creation section are a guideline. If I created a custom wondrous item or ring or staff my GM would use this exact section to help me price it but the rules say to first compare it to other magic items and use the table (your pricing equation) as a last resort. Thus it is a subjective rule that varies from GM to GM. One GM may say it costs X while one GM says Y and another uses the table for estimating. This is why ALL magic item creation is non-approved for PFS play. No one gets custom magic items. Only items that already have purchase values attached to them by a developer / writer are allowed. These purchase values have gone through the gambit and found to be fair valuations by the staff.

That makes much more sense, thank you.

Also the staff pricing guidelines wind up making staves that are much more expensive than the "pre-made" ones in the book.

*

Glad I could help. There are lots of examples where the price of an item is drastically different (both up and down) than what the magic item creation table gives you. Just goes to show you that not even the developers have a hard set rule (that we know of) for how much magic items cost.

Andoran *****

Lochmonster wrote:

I see nothing in the introductory text to Item Creation that states or even implies the text is a mere guidelines, nor does it specifically state GMs have any more or less discretion when it comes to magic item creation than they do in any other aspect of the game.

The rules appear to be very clear to me unless I have missed some text somewhere.

Either way I can't have one in PFS which was the point of this thread.

Thanks for the answers and the info.

Staves are not just more powerful wands. They aren’t just items with more than one spell in them, with a static cost per spell with a modifier for whether it is the 2nd or 3rd or 4th spell.

Staves often also confer other bonuses or abilities that don’t have a standard rule for how it’s applied. Additionally, how do you adjudicate which spell amongst 3 different level spells is the one cost as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd spell?

If you’ve ever paid attention to RPG Superstar, you’ll note that the developers of the game state that the section on pricing magic items is a set of guidelines, not a set of rules. That pricing magic items is an art, not a science.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Custom Staves for PFS? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.