Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Looking for suggestions for LoLR replacement - minor spoiler


Age of Worms Adventure Path


So I had a minor side track adventure before Prince of Redhand where I put in my own advanced bulette. My players had never encountered one before so I wanted to add this 1st Ed classic to my game.

But then after that I start reading ahead a bit and lo and behold there is one also in LoLR. It's probably not a big deal to have it repeat, but at the same time I kinda want to have the previous one as the only one this AP. (Besides the one in LoLR isn't advanced the same as mine was so they may feel cheated that this one doesn't have the same characteristics - I added swallow whole, for example.).

But mostly I think I'd like to use this opportunity to throw another "unique" monster at them. But I'm drawing a blank. Anybody have any good ideas to take the place of a CR 16 creature?

Thanks,
Greg

Andoran

Check out the Bandersnatch in the PRD.


Cuchulainn wrote:
Check out the Bandersnatch in the PRD.

Will do, thanks. I'm playing 3.5 is it an easy conversion?

Greg


How about a 16 headed pyro or cryo hydra? Old classic monster, just advanced 4 HD and 4 new heads.


Phrennzy. wrote:
How about a 16 headed pyro or cryo hydra? Old classic monster, just advanced 4 HD and 4 new heads.

That's certainly do-able as well. And I do like the classic nature of it.

These have been good ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks,
Greg


My first thought was an advanced, abyssal, greater basilisk. More first ed feel, just with the volume pumped up.

Whereabouts is the encounter supposed to take place?

Andoran

GregH wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Check out the Bandersnatch in the PRD.

Will do, thanks. I'm playing 3.5 is it an easy conversion?

Greg

Not much work, really. Drop CMD, convert CMB to grapple, rename a few skills (perception=spot/search, etc). Everything else more or less stays the same.


Phrennzy. wrote:

My first thought was an advanced, abyssal, greater basilisk. More first ed feel, just with the volume pumped up.

Whereabouts is the encounter supposed to take place?

It's an outdoor encounter so I think I'd stay away from an abyssal basilisk (more of an extra-planar creature) but the hydra and the bandersnatch are good ideas.

Greg


Cuchulainn wrote:
GregH wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Check out the Bandersnatch in the PRD.

Will do, thanks. I'm playing 3.5 is it an easy conversion?

Greg

Not much work, really. Drop CMD, convert CMB to grapple, rename a few skills (perception=spot/search, etc). Everything else more or less stays the same.

Cool. I'll definitely consider it.

Greg

Andoran

In my campaign, I put the Tarrasque in place of the nightmare beast. It was a lot of fun. My players figured out pretty quickly that they weren't going to be able to kill it - after they foolishly woke it up. Just give them a means to trap or banish it.


Cuchulainn wrote:
In my campaign, I put the Tarrasque in place of the nightmare beast. It was a lot of fun. My players figured out pretty quickly that they weren't going to be able to kill it - after they foolishly woke it up. Just give them a means to trap or banish it.

I used the Tarrasque as the penultimate big bad in my last campaign, so I don't think I'll go there.

Thanks,
Greg


GregH wrote:


I used the Tarrasque as the penultimate big bad in my last campaign, so I don't think I'll go there.

Thanks,
Greg

Yikes! What ended up being the big bad after that then?


Tangible Delusions wrote:
GregH wrote:

I used the Tarrasque as the penultimate big bad in my last campaign, so I don't think I'll go there.

Thanks,
Greg

Yikes! What ended up being the big bad after that then?

:) The herald of Tharizdun "Shothragot" form the Wizards online adventure "The Essence of Evil". It was a campaign centered around Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil where the party near the end had to deal with the Tarrasque which I had decided was basically the physical manifestation of the pure element of destruction of Tharizdun, like an avatar. The Tarraque appeared as one of the signs of the rise of Thaizdun. It was a fun battle, they made good use of walls of force, and they were prepared with strong enough weapons and wish spells. It was a lot of fun.

Greg

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Older Products / Dungeon Magazine / Age of Worms Adventure Path / Looking for suggestions for LoLR replacement - minor spoiler All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Age of Worms Adventure Path

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.