Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Why can only rogues disarm magical traps?


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion


Question is right there in the title. What is it about rogues that makes them the only ones that can disarm magical traps? Why can't a ranger or a bard who have invested some ranks in disable device make a fireball trap safe to pass for the party?

I really don't get it.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Other classes can.

I will attempt to list them soon.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It is a class feature .. thats the answer.

My rogue hates orcs but he dont get a favored enemy bonus and he has weapon focus but cant take weapon specialization .. everybody can take ranks in perform but the never ever will get bardic performance etc. etc. Maybe there are better examples out there.


Ventnor:

The history of 2nd edition and earlier D&D is that only Rogues (called Thieves back then) could disable traps.

Third edition modified this slightly by letting characters without Trapfinding disable traps with a DC less than 20.

Pathfinder has gone a step farther by allowing characters without Trapfinding to disable traps of any DC but not magical traps.

It is a progression that has steadily reduced the flavor of Rogues and has made Rogues a less useful and necessary member of the group. This progression is great for non-rogues and those that do not want to play a Rogue but sucks for those that do want to play a Rogue.

Additionally, in 3rd edition various prestige classes had Trapfinding as well. In Pathfinder this erosion of the Rogue's purpose has continued by giving various Archetypes Trapfinding.

Summary: What you think of as a restriction is in fact a constant progression towards the removal of that restriction which is making Rogues a pointless choice.

- Gauss

Edit: Oh, and what Eridan said. :)


I'd houserule that Rangers and Wizards are allowed to find and disarm magical traps.

I frown at the notion of forcing any of my players to roll a Rogue just for the sake of someone having Trapfinding.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Sandman Bard, Seeker Sorcerer, Archaeologist Bard, Balanced Scale of Abadar, and Urban Ranger.

There are spells that can assist, and destroy traps. Mage's Disjunction will obliterate any trap.


Icyshadow wrote:

I'd houserule that Rangers and Wizards are allowed to find and disarm magical traps.

I frown at the notion of forcing any of my players to roll a Rogue just for the sake of someone having Trapfinding.

It's a vicious cycle. "Rogues don't do enough so nobody wants to play them" --> "Let's give Rogue features to other classes so having a Rogue in the party becomes less important" --> "Now Rogues do even less so even fewer people want to play them..."


Roberta Yang wrote:
Icyshadow wrote:

I'd houserule that Rangers and Wizards are allowed to find and disarm magical traps.

I frown at the notion of forcing any of my players to roll a Rogue just for the sake of someone having Trapfinding.

It's a vicious cycle. "Rogues don't do enough so nobody wants to play them" --> "Let's give Rogue features to other classes so having a Rogue in the party becomes less important" --> "Now Rogues do even less so even fewer people want to play them..."

You can blame the devs who made the Rogue such an unappealing option in the first place.

I can easily say the same thing about Monks. Even if I didn't say, the numerous threads speak for themselves.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

They make a good dip for Demoralize builds.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I don't understand the hate for Rogues. Sure, they're outclassed by others when directly comparing one specific category, but as a whole, Rogues are about as versatile as it gets. They are great skill monkeys, great at assisting the primary melee characters, and can even dish out fairly respectable damage.

However, if you're picking a class purely to do the most damage, or to have the most number of skill points, or so forth... Obviously the Rogue is not your best choice. But if you'd like to do all of those things fairly well, then it's a great selection.

I played one up to 12th level recently, and he became one of my favorite characters I've ever played. He rounded out the party in any way they needed. His Perception, with or without trapfinding, was ridiculously high. He also had an incredible Stealth and a +19 UMD, meaning he could always use wands with no issue. It made him very versatile.

And, on a full attack while TWF and flanking, it was very do-able to average 100 or so points of damage in a round.

Again, it's all about the role(s) you want to fill when choosing a class. Other archetypes can also fill those shoes, but a Rogue does a great job at being a helpful addition to nearly any group.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

It's not hate. It's just that other classes can do what they do better.

It is a fact, and some Rogue fans may deny it.

A Rogue can be viable, but will never quite be above other classes.


If nobody in my group wants to play a Rogue, I won't force someone to pick one or "punish" their lack of Trapfinding.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I would not force a player to play anything.

I might disallow a class, but would be up front with it right away.

The Exchange

Similar reason why so few clerics abound. People just go for cure light wounds wands and potions.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Clerics can be pretty badass. That "heal-bot" crud is a restriction contrived notion created by those that see classes as filling only one role.


I actually play an insane Cleric of Zon-Kuthon in one group, mainly as a debuffer and melee support.

One of my favourite characters ever, since she's cheerful and funny and actually had a Cure wand that actually hurt when she used it.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I once played a "dumb blonde" Half Orc Cleric who was a battlefield control and buff focused and everyone's favorite motherly figure.

She was no healbot, but handled it well.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
blackbloodtroll wrote:

It's not hate. It's just that other classes can do what they do better.

It is a fact, and some Rogue fans may deny it.

A Rogue can be viable, but will never quite be above other classes.

Is there one class that can do everything the rogue can do, but is better at everything?

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Tales Subscriber

To answer the OPs question (how did we get from rogues and traps to clerics...?)

Ventnor wrote:
Question is right there in the title. What is it about rogues that makes them the only ones that can disarm magical traps? Why can't a ranger or a bard who have invested some ranks in disable device make a fireball trap safe to pass for the party?

The rules answer is:

PRD - Perception and Disable Device DCs

Quote:

Magic Trap: The DC for both Perception and Disable Device checks is equal to 25 + the spell level of the highest-level spell used. Only characters with the trapfinding class feature can attempt a Disable Device check involving a magic trap.

This text can also be found in the 'Environment' section of the CRB

PRD - Rogue - Trapfinding

Quote:
Trapfinding: A rogue adds 1/2 her level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1). A rogue can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.

Note that there are archetypes for other classes that do get trapfinding, so it's not strictly rogue only.

The flavor answer is that, since these traps don't operate in a mechanical fashion, they cannot be disarmed using only mundane mechanical knowledge or skill.

The Exchange

I've just started an Urban Ranger not that long ago. He's up to level 4 now and doing well with the traps :)

Is it true that you can "take 20" for most disable device checks?

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Tales Subscriber
Bloodlust wrote:
Is it true that you can "take 20" for most disable device checks?

You can only take 20 if there is no consequence for failing the check. However, for many traps failing by 5 or more triggers the trap (see: PRD - Disable Device).

Hypothetically, if the lowest you could get would not trip the trap you could legally take twenty. However, since only the DM will know the trap DC that may not work for you in practice.


Curmudgeonly wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:

It's not hate. It's just that other classes can do what they do better.

It is a fact, and some Rogue fans may deny it.

A Rogue can be viable, but will never quite be above other classes.

Is there one class that can do everything the rogue can do, but is better at everything?

Not quite, but the archaeologist bard trades out sneak attack for 6 level spell casting and has access to an unconditional damage boost that multiplies on crits. He may actually out-damage the rogue when using luck because of improved accuracy and will make the rogue cry when fighting elementals or opponents with uncanny dodge or under the effect of a blur spell.

The Archaeologist also trades 2 skill points/level for +1/2 level to all knowledges and perception (the rogue's perception boost normally only applies to traps) and makes a better face because charisma is his casting stat.

The archaeologist may get fewer rogue talents, but most of them suck and he gets quick disable and fast picks bundled with trapfinding as well as the ability to take 10 under all situations. The latter is something the rogue can't get except as part of an advanced talent.

If traps aren't important the vivisectionist makes the rogue cry with nearly as many skills as a consequence of his int based alchemy and full sneak attack progression with mutagens for accuracy and, if strength based, even more damage. And he can still disable nonmagical traps.

Scarab Sages

If the trap is magical anybody with detect magic can find it and anybody with dispel magic can attempt to disarm it.

You don't even need the Disable Device skill for the attempt.


blackbloodtroll wrote:
Clerics can be pretty badass. That "heal-bot" crud is a restriction contrived notion created by those that see classes as filling only one role.

And yet I still got flack a month or two after the campaign ended for not preparing a Heal spell over a heightened major curse...


Don't know what you all are smoking (is a joke please don't hit meee!) but the rogue in my group is a beast with a dagger. Jumpin' around, using acrobatics to flip behind people and backstabbing for more damage than... well... a fighter in the group could pop out. Hasn't even crit. yet but I sure am scared to see that...

Shivers*


Da Cultist wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:
Clerics can be pretty badass. That "heal-bot" crud is a restriction contrived notion created by those that see classes as filling only one role.
And yet I still got flack a month or two after the campaign ended for not preparing a Heal spell over a heightened major curse...

Dedicating one or two slots to healing is not being forced to be a heal-bot. Out of all your spell slots asking one to go to heal and one to go to breath of life or reach breath of life should not be asking too much.

Heal is a multi-purpose condition remover and death preventer. Major curse is a single target debuff.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Atarlost wrote:
Curmudgeonly wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:

It's not hate. It's just that other classes can do what they do better.

It is a fact, and some Rogue fans may deny it.

A Rogue can be viable, but will never quite be above other classes.

Is there one class that can do everything the rogue can do, but is better at everything?

Not quite, but the archaeologist bard trades out sneak attack for 6 level spell casting and has access to an unconditional damage boost that multiplies on crits. He may actually out-damage the rogue when using luck because of improved accuracy and will make the rogue cry when fighting elementals or opponents with uncanny dodge or under the effect of a blur spell.

The Archaeologist also trades 2 skill points/level for +1/2 level to all knowledges and perception (the rogue's perception boost normally only applies to traps) and makes a better face because charisma is his casting stat.

The archaeologist may get fewer rogue talents, but most of them suck and he gets quick disable and fast picks bundled with trapfinding as well as the ability to take 10 under all situations. The latter is something the rogue can't get except as part of an advanced talent.

If traps aren't important the vivisectionist makes the rogue cry with nearly as many skills as a consequence of his int based alchemy and full sneak attack progression with mutagens for accuracy and, if strength based, even more damage. And he can still disable nonmagical traps.

May potentially do more damage, maybe. You're limited by the number of spells you can cast, whereas a rogue can keep sneak attacking left and right.

I asked because it was stated that "other classes can do what they do better" and I find that statement erroneous. Maybe different classes can do specific things better, but one class cannot outclass a rogue in every category.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Why can only rogues disarm magical traps? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.