Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Encumberance


Pathfinder Society® General Discussion

51 to 81 of 81 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge ** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Ability damage doesn't reduce the score. Being exhausted reduces your STR by 6. There's a difference.

Andoran *****

Mergy wrote:
Walter Sheppard wrote:

Recently had a humorous incident where it was vital to know what a character's encumbrance was: a wizard with a Str of 1 (after being exhausted), carrying nothing but a haversack.

:P

I'm pretty sure it was stated up-thread that penalties like that don't actually reduce carrying capacity.

Ability damage doesn't. Ability Drain and Penalties do.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ryan. Costello wrote:
I ballparked my homegame Str 10 time thief’s encumbrance for a while. There’s a running gag in my game whenever something looks heavy or grossed, she bats her eyelashes and one of the party dwarves, so I don’t have much gear. It wasn’t until I decided to rewrite my character onto a clean character sheet that I saw just how little equipment 33 pounds is, especially when you’re wearing a 25 pound chain shirt.

I think a lot of people just assume their low-Str characters are "okay" when they eyeball it. "After all, I've just got my armor and weapons; I'm not carrying anything extra." I have an 8 Str gnome cleric/rogue, and after her weapons and (mithral!) armor, she doesn't even have the 5 extra pounds below Medium encumbrance to carry a handy haversack.

Cheliax ****

Ah, my mistake. Carry on! :D

Grand Lodge ****

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mergy wrote:
Ah, my mistake. Carry on! :D

I.C.W.Y.D.T.

**

Thod wrote:

Andrew

The Porter didn't die in a combat - he died in the flavor text

lol!


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Eh, the GM should have had the porter wish the soon-to-be-dead fellow a good evening on his way to the privy, and return to find the deed done.

Andoran *****

Curaigh wrote:
Thod wrote:

Andrew

The Porter didn't die in a combat - he died in the flavor text

lol!

I had a character die in boxed text.

Shadow Lodge ***

3 people marked this as a favorite.

We used to not bother tracking encumberance in our home games at all because working out weight was a bit too much of a pain...

...until we realised that not taking it into account and having every non-fighter character use Strength as a big bad dump stat while carrying ridiculous amounts of loot was actually breaking character balance right from ability point selection.

Andoran ***

Ryan. Costello wrote:

I ballparked my homegame Str 10 time thief’s encumbrance for a while. There’s a running gag in my game whenever something looks heavy or grossed, she bats her eyelashes and one of the party dwarves, so I don’t have much gear. It wasn’t until I decided to rewrite my character onto a clean character sheet that I saw just how little equipment 33 pounds is, especially when you’re wearing a 25 pound chain shirt. Next session I’m going to have to run a shopping trip of buying and selling equipment by my GM to cut my encumbrance down below a light load. I thought I found the solution in the masterwork backpack, but it is a 4 pound item that increases the effective Strength of the wearer by 1 with regards to carrying capacity. That bump gains me 5 extra pounds, or a net gain of 1.

I am in a party of dwarves and have no abilities that stop functioning if I was carrying a medium load. It’s the principal of the matter, I want my 30 speed.

I would assume that you have a normal backpack you are replacing with the masterwork backpack, so the net gain would be 3 pounds, not 1 pound.

But you might want to consider muleback cords, or see about a permanent ant haul...

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Andrew Christian wrote:
Unseelie wrote:
Chris Mortika wrote:
Unseelie wrote:
I will remind players to check their encumbrance any time strength loss comes into play... once it lead to a rather epic fight when the paladin had to drop his shield in the middle of a fight.

Unfortunately, temporary Strength damage does not affect encumbrance. (I wish it did. I have a couple of great encounters with Strength-damaging poisons...)

Permanent Strength loss, or the removal of a magical strength belt, does affect encumbrance.

Ah, I missed that... I'd house rule it then, because it doesn't make a lot of sense why it wouldn't. It helped that the PC was able to look at his PC quickly and determine that dropping his large metal shield was sufficient.
I hope you would only house rule this in a home game, and not at a PFS game.

I would have assumed that there was no such thing as house rules for a PFS game, myself. No, this would be for my own personal game. If I was running something that carried an expectation of official rules only, obviously, I would go by the rules.

**

A number of PFS games are, unfortunately, using a number of 'house rules.' In visiting a number of game stores and the such (in exploring the area as the new VC), I've observed a number of them doing it. I addressed it, but stopped short of saying that I was going to invalidate their games or anything. However, I made it very clear that if they come to convention that I'm in charge of, *everything* better be by the book. But, I digress from the OT.

If the GM of a store group wasn't double checking everyone's Encumberance, I couldn't see myself getting too wound up about it. I would ask him about it. If he said that he doesn't have time (which I totally relate to), I would encourage him to at least eyeball it, and provide him some tips for estimating and rounding commmon items and the such. If he told me that he 'house ruled it' because he doesn't 'like encumberance rules' then I would reiterate to him that PFS doesn't allow house rules. While no group follows all the rules, it should be a goal to get as close as we can within the contraints we have.

You know what would be cool? A simple Excel worksheet that allows GM's to type in a STR score, and quickly type in / choose items from a list to double check encumberance. It probably exists somewhere. It wouldn't have to list every magic item...after all, a magic sword weighs the same as a normal sword, I believe.

I will reiterate...if you can afford it, HL is well worth the investment, especially for GM's. The encumberance calculations alone make it a godsend. It's easy enough to do what I suggest above by makihng a new character, setting the STR, and throwing the items in the characters inventory.

***** Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka CRobledo

Usually, most of the errors come from characters who dump STR. Usually, these are most often spellcasters.

The big offenders are usually:

Metamagic rods (5 lb each)
Spell component pouch (2 lb)
Craft/skill tools (5 lb each)
Spell book (3 lb)
cloaks of resistance/belts/headbands (1 lb each)

Usually I find that they just didn't know, as people forget to check magic item weights. Makes the investment on a haversack a pretty big priority.

Hero Labs will help a lot on this, but it has some errors. I have seen a few random metamagic rods missing the 5 lbs.

Qadira ***

CRobledo wrote:

Usually, most of the errors come from characters who dump STR. Usually, these are most often spellcasters.

The big offenders are usually:

Metamagic rods (5 lb each)
Spell component pouch (2 lb)
Craft/skill tools (5 lb each)
Spell book (3 lb)
cloaks of resistance/belts/headbands (1 lb each)

Usually I find that they just didn't know, as people forget to check magic item weights. Makes the investment on a haversack a pretty big priority.

Hero Labs will help a lot on this, but it has some errors. I have seen a few random metamagic rods missing the 5 lbs.

minor correction -

"Craft/skill tools (5 lb each)"
Masterwork Tools for all skills are 1 lb. each, only Artisan's tolls are listed as 5 lbs. Many crafts would have tools that weigh much more, or much less than this. (Craft Sewing for example).

Also, I have found many PCs that run over in encumberance to be spread across all classes. Full plate and a Tower Shield are 95lbs before anything else. Add in a chain shirt (for sleeping in), then add in Primary & Secondary weapons, blunt, slashing, cold iron versions, silver arrows, blunt arrows, cold iron arrows, and Alchemist fire, Acid and Holy Water. The guy with the crow bar, Block & Tackle, and protable Ram are just pushing it a bit to much. ("I've got a 16 strength! I can carry it!").

Grand Lodge ** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

nosig wrote:
Also, I have found many PCs that run over in encumberance to be spread across all classes. Full plate and a Tower Shield are 95lbs before anything else.

Really? I don't know if there are any local PCs who use a tower shield. Most of our full-plate wearers are dwarves anyway. :P Different in your neck of the woods, eh?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Remember that your clothes still count towards your weight, unlike in 3.5 :)

Cheliax ****

Cheapy wrote:
Remember that your clothes still count towards your weight, unlike in 3.5 :)

Do you really want to encourage people to have their characters go naked?

Shadow Lodge *****

Mergy wrote:
Do you really want to encourage people to have their characters go naked?

It would be a very handy signal to have, as anyone that did would not be welcome at my table.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hey, thems the rules.

Cheliax ***

TOZ wrote:
Mergy wrote:
Do you really want to encourage people to have their characters go naked?
It would be a very handy signal to have, as anyone that did would not be welcome at my table.

(In character)

Darlin', several times during the course of an assignment, Ah am likely to be un-clothed. Ah purchased Mistmail just so that Ah could get out of mah armor with a single command word (standard action). And often Ah am very nearly nude under that armor... for working reasons. Ah would hate to think that Ah am not welcome at your table. Should the need arise, perhaps we could discuss this more... in depth?

Andoran *****

I tell ya, never thought I'd be missing something from Cheliax...

Andoran **

Auris Deftfoot wrote:
I tell ya, never thought I'd be missing something from Cheliax...

*clap. Claps*

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mergy wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Remember that your clothes still count towards your weight, unlike in 3.5 :)
Do you really want to encourage people to have their characters go naked?

Naah, they would all eb very ascetic and don monks outfit (2 lbs).

Cheliax ***

Diego Rossi wrote:
Mergy wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Remember that your clothes still count towards your weight, unlike in 3.5 :)
Do you really want to encourage people to have their characters go naked?
Naah, they would all eb very ascetic and don monks outfit (2 lbs).

Entertainer’s outfit - 3 lbs.

.
wow, that's alot of jewelry!
and the Manacles (masterwork) alone weigh 2 lbs.!


Andrew Christian wrote:
Mergy wrote:
Walter Sheppard wrote:

Recently had a humorous incident where it was vital to know what a character's encumbrance was: a wizard with a Str of 1 (after being exhausted), carrying nothing but a haversack.

:P

I'm pretty sure it was stated up-thread that penalties like that don't actually reduce carrying capacity.
Ability damage doesn't. Ability Drain and Penalties do.

No Penalties and damage doesn't, drain do.

Andoran *****

One correction.

Ability penalties work just like ability damage as to how the penalties are applied.

So the ability damage of fatigue would not affect encumbrance RAW.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Dev clarification on the Strength carrying capacity thing. I'm always confused why I have that saved with the comment "Strength whatever affects carrying capacity", but I think it's due to th combination of his answer to my question, the question about Selective Channeling, and his post above.


Sean says "It makes sense to apply it to ability score penalties/damage/drain as well", He doesn't say they do and by RAW they don't.

I agree with Sean that it makes sense, but I think he just gave his opinion, it was not an official ruling.

One of the Devs (think it was James J) once said that the reason why Strength penalties/damage don't affect carrying capacity is because it would slow down game play.

Edit:
It is also a balance issue. RoE and other stuff would be too good since a character’s load affects his:
"maximum Dexterity bonus to AC, carries a check penalty (which works like an armor check penalty), reduces the character’s speed, and affects how fast the character can run"

Andoran *****

The reason the ability penalty an damage rules are written the way they are, is to keep from bogging down the game for recalculating all the figured statistics based off the ability in question.

Those of us used to the old 3.0 and 3.5 and D&D from earlier editions, are very capable of recalculating things swiftly. But the Pathfinder mechanics is built to make things easy and streamlined.


Andrew Christian wrote:

The reason the ability penalty an damage rules are written the way they are, is to keep from bogging down the game for recalculating all the figured statistics based off the ability in question.

Those of us used to the old 3.0 and 3.5 and D&D from earlier editions, are very capable of recalculating things swiftly. But the Pathfinder mechanics is built to make things easy and streamlined.

hm, let's try this:

Edit:
AC/DC
Roger Zelazny
Akira Kurosawa
L'Atalante by Jean Vigo
Invisibility
Gnome vs. Human.
Loch Ness
Sergio Leone
Canon G12 vs. Lumix LX7 vs. EVIL

Care to elaborate?

Andoran *****

huh?

51 to 81 of 81 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Encumberance All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.