Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Fear my mighty cow


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion

1 to 50 of 65 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Aurochs are universally better than even combat horses in all ways save for speed. Better hit points, AC, damage, special attack forms, strength, etc.

Why don't people use them as mounts? You'd think they would be given 1 intelligence or something like that in order to make horses more worthwhile. In a world where the cow is better than the horse, how did the horse ever become the standard mount?

Shadow Lodge

Because the dm says: Thats a horse. It doesn't mind you riding it.

Thats an aurochs. It uses its mighty strength to pulverize you into jelly.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:

Because the dm says: Thats a horse. It doesn't mind you riding it.

Thats an aurochs. It uses its mighty strength to pulverize you into jelly.

mmm... Dork jelly.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Only $.49 a jar!

Seriously though, couldn't a horse kill someone just as easily if not properly broken first? Why couldn't aurochs be broken in a similar manner?

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

13 people marked this as a favorite.

Same as in the real world.

A bull is tougher and stronger than a horse. But we ride horses because they can be tamed more easily.

This is also the same reason we use dogs as police animals when a tiger would kick more ass.


Not to mention, this is a fantasy setting. If you can train a Wolf or a T-Rex to be a mount, shouldn't a cow be within the realm of possibility?


Aurochs are a possibility. They just wouldn't ever be as popular as horses on account of the "my potential mount just killed me" factor. There is no reason why you can't create some unit of mounted knights who ride fearsome cattle and are supported by elite critter-tamers.


Neat. Think I will.


Sure you can train a Wolf or T-Rex or even a Cow... but those are exotic mounts that require special expertice to train.

Im sure in the Real world you could train a Cow as a Mount. In fact I think I remember an old western where a guy had a Bull as a mount. But for normal society Horses are more easily broken, eat less, are easier to maintain, and are far easier to aquire.

Just as in real life, your normal person will aquire a horse because society has used horses for the ease. An adventure, with the right connections and gold, can aquire almost any animal as a mount... Even a Bull.


Not what i was looking for but here is an example...

Bull Mount


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Ross Byers wrote:

Same as in the real world.

A bull is tougher and stronger than a horse. But we ride horses because they can be tamed more easily.

This is also the same reason we use dogs as police animals when a tiger would kick more ass.

I think tigers would make an excellent addition to the police force. I suspect crime would decrease dramatically even as tiger attacks increase.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

No-one in their right mind uses a bull as a mount. Not while it's still a bull, anyway. But using oxen as mounts was actually fairly common, simply because most farming communities would have a few. Though given their low speed, the novelty probably wears off fast.

Real men ride sedan chairs anyway.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragonamedrake wrote:
...But for normal society Horses are more easily broken, eat less, are easier to maintain, and are far easier to aquire...

Ah, now that makes sense to me. I hadn't considered the other logistics beyond speed, strength, and combat. Efficiency is everything to humans. Horses still get the job done and are much easier for a variety of reasons it seems.

Osirion

1 person marked this as a favorite.

You can ride cows (and water buffalo) People still do. I don't know about horses being cheaper, it would depend on location but in general they are a rich man's toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zhdy1FV1A

But horses are faster IRL. In RL that's sort of a big deal.


Also, you look more noble riding a horse. It may be nice to have a tougher mount, but will result in more people laughing at you.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Trolls don't ride puny horses!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yar.

For many, speed is not just a factor, but THE factor.

Being able to tame it and trust it is also up there, usually more so than speed. But in fantasy land, the primary reason ~I~ use a mount, is mobility/speed.

There is also the whole "cow = food. Stop riding my food" thing.

However, I also embrace fantastical mounts.

Chocobos- er, I mean, Axebeaks; Wolves; Bears; Dinosaurs; Griffins, Rocs, Giant Wasps, etc.

~P

Andoran

I think we all need to remember the great Mongo


Pirate: Horses = food too. :D

- Gauss


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Why not Ride a Buffalo?


Looks like it is not that uncommon, or unattainable in the real world. Check out this one. Or this or this.


I think a troop of dwarven cavalry mounted on aurochs would, well, rock :)


Guy on a buffalo

Damn..... Ninja'd!

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Isn't an Aurochs basically what the Canim rode in The Codex Alera?

Andoran

I actually have a PFS cavalier I'm leveling with his sole purpose being to ride a bull.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
SwnyNerdgasm wrote:
Isn't an Aurochs basically what the Canim rode in The Codex Alera?

That was my assumption too from what I remember. Codex was an OK series, but the Dresden series is one of my overall favourites!


Bulls. Psh. You want to be riding a Hellcat or a Nightmare :)

Cheliax

2 people marked this as a favorite.
LastNameOnEarth wrote:
SwnyNerdgasm wrote:
Isn't an Aurochs basically what the Canim rode in The Codex Alera?
That was my assumption too from what I remember. Codex was an OK series, but the Dresden series is one of my overall favourites!

Yeah but Steak-and-New-Boots is the greatest name for a mount ever


SwnyNerdgasm:

PC comes into town riding...A BULL.
NPC: Uh, mister, why are you riding a cow?
PC: Cause I can! Imagine the terror in my enemies eyes when they see this fine Bull charging them. Would you want to get in front when it charges?
NPC: Uhhh, no mister. So...what is the cow's name?
PC: My bulls' name is Steak-n-New-Boots.
NPC: Steak-n-New-Boots? Why would you name a Bull that?
PC: Well, what do you think is gonna happen to him when he dies?

Just thought I'd add that in. :)

- Gauss

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gauss wrote:

SwnyNerdgasm:

PC comes into town riding...A BULL.
NPC: Uh, mister, why are you riding a cow?
PC: Cause I can! Imagine the terror in my enemies eyes when they see this fine Bull charging them. Would you want to get in front when it charges?
NPC: Uhhh, no mister. So...what is the cow's name?
PC: My bulls' name is Steak-n-New-Boots.
NPC: Steak-n-New-Boots? Why would you name a Bull that?
PC: Well, what do you think is gonna happen to him when he dies?

Just thought I'd add that in. :)

- Gauss

That was probably what Max was thinking


Max? (I don't know the reference)

- Gauss


Our current game includes a Goblin who has a Yak named Jacob who not only has saved his life but actually has now endeared the rest of the party to the point its like the family dog.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I played in a game recently where another PC, a multiclass paladin, befriended an aurochs using speak with animals after we found it wounded in the snow. After he healed it, it became is faithful friend. Later, he had awaken cast on it when he took leadership and it became his cohort and mount, taking levels in ranger and paladin, and eventually became instrumental in our eventual victory over the BBEG. The point? None, really, except that having someone say, "The aurochs activates Smite Evil.", at your game table is pretty awesome.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think tigers are now needed in the police force.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Black_Lantern wrote:
I think tigers are now needed in the police force.

I really don't think the police force should have tigers... Next thing that happens, is that every criminal gets a cow, and then it evens out...

Cheliax

Gauss wrote:

Max? (I don't know the reference)

- Gauss

Max is the character in the Codex Alera that named his Cow-Thing mount Steak-and-New-Boots


Ahhhh, dont know the Codex Alera.

- Gauss


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber
Black_Lantern wrote:
I think tigers are now needed in the police force.

A Mandrill/Baboon eats a lot less, about as fast as a Tiger with about the same teeth length and still as strong as strong humans. And it can open doors with ease.

But, just as Tigers, it can't be bothered with all this crap.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Skunks. Police skunks.


Have you ever ridden both? I lived on our family farm for several years. Horse backs are shaped well for riding, cow's ain't. Esp a very large cattlebeast like a auroch, where riding it would cause your legs to be spread out so wide you couldnt walk for a week.

Osirion

MicMan wrote:
Black_Lantern wrote:
I think tigers are now needed in the police force.

A Mandrill/Baboon eats a lot less, about as fast as a Tiger with about the same teeth length and still as strong as strong humans. And it can open doors with ease.

But, just as Tigers, it can't be bothered with all this crap.

Ancient Egyptians used them

Osirion should get some. :P


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Well, to be fair, cows can have a vicious hunger for justice, particularly the Man-Eating variety.

Plus, outside of obscure comic book references, there is Babe the Blue Ox, so there is some (more modern) mythological precedence for bovine animal companions.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

FEAR MY BATTLE CATTLE!


1) Cattle especially if grass fed need to eat almost constantly while awake just to survive. That huge massive body needs alot of fuel to survive and grass is a really inefficient provider of fuel.

2) Cattle are actually quite a bit dumber than horses and would be very difficult to train to do much of anything more complicated that just move from here to there.

3) Cattle panic easier than equines.

4) Cattle have a VERY broad back. I don't think most men would be very comfortable riding one for any length of time.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:

Same as in the real world.

A bull is tougher and stronger than a horse. But we ride horses because they can be tamed more easily.

This is also the same reason we use dogs as police animals when a tiger would kick more ass.

I think tigers would make an excellent addition to the police force. I suspect crime would decrease dramatically even as tiger attacks increase.

But what do we do when some of the criminals only see our new detectives as stuffed animals? Or worse, invite them to a game with unfathomable rules?

Grand Lodge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:

Same as in the real world.

A bull is tougher and stronger than a horse. But we ride horses because they can be tamed more easily.

This is also the same reason we use dogs as police animals when a tiger would kick more ass.

I think tigers would make an excellent addition to the police force. I suspect crime would decrease dramatically even as tiger attacks increase.
But what do we do when some of the criminals only see our new detectives as stuffed animals? Or worse, invite them to a game with unfathomable rules?

Or if the criminals are a bunch of girls. Law and Order: G.R.O.S.S.

Shadow Lodge

SwnyNerdgasm wrote:
LastNameOnEarth wrote:
SwnyNerdgasm wrote:
Isn't an Aurochs basically what the Canim rode in The Codex Alera?
That was my assumption too from what I remember. Codex was an OK series, but the Dresden series is one of my overall favourites!
Yeah but Steak-and-New-Boots is the greatest name for a mount ever

This man speaks truth.


In terms of the game rules, there is no reason why herd, animals aurochs and bisons shouldn't be the default mount in the game.

The developers tied their own hands when they limited animal intelligence to 2 or lower. If they change the limit of tricks to 2 per point of intelligence and raised animal intelligence to 4 or lower, they can easily make the horse the preferred mount.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Strife2002 wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:

Same as in the real world.

A bull is tougher and stronger than a horse. But we ride horses because they can be tamed more easily.

This is also the same reason we use dogs as police animals when a tiger would kick more ass.

I think tigers would make an excellent addition to the police force. I suspect crime would decrease dramatically even as tiger attacks increase.
But what do we do when some of the criminals only see our new detectives as stuffed animals? Or worse, invite them to a game with unfathomable rules?
Or if the criminals are a bunch of girls. Law and Order: G.R.O.S.S.

"Your honor, we cannot allow this testimony on the grounds that the plaintiff has yet to recite the password."


Ravingdork wrote:
Why don't people use them as mounts?

For the same reasons that people didn't ride cows and bulls into battle? The species was not nimble enough, trainable enough, fast enough or (compared to a horse) smart enough.

Some animals just cannot be battle trained. Their natural instincts simply will not be overcome when it comes to their fight or flight reaction.

Plus the Aurochs cannot read their combat entries so have no idea they would make better mounts.

1 to 50 of 65 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Fear my mighty cow All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.