Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Dave Mustaine seems to have lost touch with reality


Off-Topic Discussions

201 to 241 of 241 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Cheliax

On the Dave Mustaine crazy issue - I don't think this a right or left problem, but a conspiracy problem.
I suppose his political views may manifest through conspiracies but what he is espousing is classical conspiracy thinking. The Sikh shooter had a background in Psy-ops, the Colorado shooter was influenced by a fantasy character (as portrayed in a movie) and the triggers for both to act seem to be unknown. This could easily read like an X-file episode or a plot for a Delta Green scenario. I don't think the posturing on this is exclusively right or left (or his church, etc).

Conspiracies do a few things for us - the try to produce logic, reasoning and motivation where no rational one may exist (or one where our culture may understand). They also exist as a sort of a psychological safety and a way for someone to inflate their sense of self worth even if the world is ending all around them. Example: I know the secret and they might be after me, Re: self-importance.

Conspiracies do fall into political camps but at their core they are fundamentally the same.

Conspiracy Theory:
When a democrat or liberal is in office the common conspiracies you will find (and not just views but actual paranoia about plots) are:

Democrat in office-
NWO - taking away sovereign power (this jumps to both sides but is strongest with a Dem in office) via UN, etc
Eliminating religious freedom/Anti-Christian/Anti-God
Suspending individual freedoms
Manchurian candidate

And then we get a slight variant with a Republican in office-

Wars for profit, false flag triggers (9/11, burning of the Reichstag, etc) for power, money and control
Suspending individual freedoms (via war or martial law situation)
Assassination plots or constant surveillance (1984) of enemies of the State
Shill for Big: Oil, Pharma, Corporations, the MIC
Proxy for the Tri-lateral Commission and the illuminati, skull and bones, etc (applies to both, but mostly to conservatives in office).

A few generic ones are:
Alien cover-up
Secret vaccinations
Useless Eaters (my current favorite)
Too damn many other ones to list

Do I think some of these conspiracies are unfounded, no I do not – some horrible secret operations have actually happened in Americas sordid past. Do I think most of them are real, like the stuff on Infowars? No, not really.

I think what happens is that someone on the side you do not like says something - a phrase or word - which triggers paranoid presumptions that people already had (and expected the "other guy" to say).

Funny thing about conspiratorial evidence (loose change, et al) is that they don't really need to do anything to back their stuff up. They throw out a conspiracy or idea - it gets debunked and then they throw out another idea to cover their last one or to explain the debunking (or disparage those debunking). In other words the conspiracy creators can just creating more and more explanations if their original one didn't pan out. No burden of proof, just theorycraft (much like these boards).

I don't think Dave Mustaine has lost his mind, I just think he needs to be a little more critical of what's put before him and what he's going to repeat in public. Put a bit more thought into your conspiracies – do you have proof of any kind, do you have evidence – or is this all going on because you don't like the guy in office?

I love conspiracies - but really, people (including Dave) should think a little more next time about what they're going to say before they open their yammer holes.


Auxmaulous wrote:
Auxmaulous wrote:
IMO, political punk bands were the best and most memorable - Fear, Black Flag, Angry Samoans, early SD, The Germs, the Misfits. I mean DK is ok, but every other idiot was parroting what they were doing after their first album.

Too late to fix this in my original post but it should be apolitical, not political.

I was wondering about that.

I was going to do a Burgomeister post making fun of you and linking "My Old Man's a Fatso" and "More Beer," but I decided against it.


My Old Man's a Fatso
More Beer


"History is not a conspiracy, but there are conspiracies in history."

I don't remember where I read that.

Osirion

The thing about the MD.45 side project is that they lost (supposedly) some of the master tracks so Mustaine had to redo them. I don't know if he approached Lee to redo them.


Sanakht Inaros wrote:
The thing about the MD.45 side project is that they lost (supposedly) some of the master tracks so Mustaine had to redo them. I don't know if he approached Lee to redo them.

Mustaine explicitly stated that he redid the vocals himself to appeal more to the Megadeth fans to increase / boost the sales. I imagine for some folks, they got a knee jerk reaction hearing the original version of MD.45 in similar fashion to those hearing Metallica's collaboration with Lou Reed.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

I've heard both stories as quotes from Mustaine, so in my mind it's even more proof that you can't put too much stock in what the guy is saying.


Erik Mona wrote:

I've heard both stories as quotes from Mustaine, so in my mind it's even more proof that you can't put too much stock in what the guy is saying.

.

Well, in order to buy stock someone has to be willing to sell you the shares
they already own. In this case, Mustaine's fans are fanatical and unlikely
to ever part with their shares.

So, this free market mechanism alone will prevent you from putting too
much stock in that guy.

Wait... what the hell are you talking about ?

.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Grand Magus wrote:

Well, in order to buy stock someone has to be willing to sell you the shares

they already own. In this case, Mustaine's fans are fanatical and unlikely
to ever part with their shares.

So, this free market mechanism alone will prevent you from putting too
much stock in that guy.

Wait... what the hell are you talking about ?

I said, "I wanna be a singer like Lou Reed."

"I like Lou Reed," she said, sticking her tongue in my ear. "Let's go, let's talk, politics go so good with beer.

"And while you're at it, why don't you tell me some of your biggest fears?"


Pixies are overrated
*ducks*

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

meatrace wrote:

Pixies are overrated

*ducks*

I respect your right to be so very wrong.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
A Man In Black wrote:
meatrace wrote:

Pixies are overrated

*ducks*
I respect your right to be so very wrong.

We are watching you, pixie sympathiser.

Brownies, those we go along nicely with.

But pixies... we at Gnomeland Security have them high on our list.

As we now have you.

<Points two fingers at his eyes as he walks away backwards, slowly>


Losing my penis to a whore with disease.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Don Juan de Doodlebug wrote:
Losing my penis to a whore with disease.

Excuse me, please?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think its a mammal bone thing.


Erik Mona wrote:

What did it mean when the American punks said "With just a touch of my burning hand, I send my astro zombies to rape the land, prime directive: exterminate the whole human race"?

We are the fiend club?


A Man In Black wrote:
Don Juan de Doodlebug wrote:
Losing my penis to a whore with disease.
Excuse me, please?

"Just kidding", I said.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Elbe-el wrote:


The terrifying reality is this: Dave Mustaine might be "on the fringe" politcially/religiously, but his perceptive and cognitive abilities are not less than those of the average American citizen (not more, either...aside from his marginal musical wherewithal, Dave's abilities are strictly average...the word "milquetoast" comes readily to mind).

I agree with most of your other observations about propaganda and Dave getting his conspiracy theory from a source rather than just thin air (or his ass), but you really undermine your point by throwing in this random jibe at his musical ability.

Love or hate his insane, drug-addled proclamations about political conspiracy theory, but discounting Dave Mustaine's musical ability seriously erodes your own credibility.

This is a guy who has been a seminal influence upon one of the longest running and most important sub-genres of rock. He's a founding member of two of the genre's four most important bands. He's written every Megadeth song ever (over 100 tunes at this point), and is behind some of the most face-melting, blistering solos in heavy metal. Most of the best songs on the first two Metallica albums were written by him, and they kept ripping off his solos and riffs a half-decade after they kicked him out of the band.

You cannot seriously listen to, say, "Hangar 18" and claim that this guy's musical talent is "marginal".

You may not LIKE heavy metal. You may not LIKE Dave's guitar skills, but any reasonable person ought to be able to admit that he is an enormously talented guitarist, and an enormously talented songwriter.

Denying this just makes you come off as churlish and uninformed, the sort of rube who thinks that just because something is not to your taste, it is therefore inherently of questionable value.

Given the depth and intelligence of the rest of your posts on the matter, the off-handed condemnation of music you apparently don't understand and don't care about just makes you come across as blazingly ignorant.

Which I doubt was your intention when you came into the thread name-checking the likes of Walter Lippmann and Edward Bernays.


I'm guessing the post that you responded to was removed by the poster, Erik? I'm not seeing it.

But I'll have to agree. Dave may have gone off the deep end as of late along with Ted Nugent and Hank Williams Jr with regard to some of the conspiratorial context they've been espousing that'd be suitable for shows such as InfoWars, but make no mistake: Mustaine is a shred-master. While I respect Kirk Hammett as a guitarist with his tenure in Metallica, Hammett doesn't even touch Mustaine's skills.

On top of that, Mustaine has the ability to pick up other guitarists to pair up with him to make him step up his own game. Poland and Friedman aren't slouches, and even Chris Broderick is the man (having spent some time in Nevermore (RIP) w/ Jeff Loomis and Jag Panzer (RIP) w/ Mark Briody after filling the big shoes that were Joey Tafolla's).

Yeah, I wish Mustaine would just shut up and play, but I can still appreciate that he has the chops to pair off with Broderick to rip out gems like this.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

Hahaha.

I knew that link was going to lead to that song. Hearing the opening track to Endgame was like waking up from a decade long bad dream.

Lantern Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
B.A. Ironskull wrote:


An American folk artist whose music will always be American.

I've got his autograph on my copy of the Fiend Folio.

Lantern Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I've never particulary gave two cents of notice to the Mustaine commentary. He pales in significance compared to the Fox stable of commnentators such as Bill (Silence your Mike) O'Reilly or Glenn "Crying Man" Beck. Mustaine might prick the ears of the Metal listeners who are close to sobriety but that pales before the millions daily that the Fox Network and the Ruper Murdoch/Donald Trump gang reaches.

And before you start throwing Rachael Maddow and John Stewart at me, I would argue when it comes to sheer presence, it's not an equal field by any measure.


Dave Mustaine is god, so he can say hat he pleases. All should bow before Megadeth!


Personally, I love Glenn Beck. Watching him always makes me feel like my comrades and I are making a bigger impact than we really are.


M'lord DIce would says all the goblin agitators should rest on their laurels while watching Glenn Beck rather than work to effect change on the Dice estate, or even just in the goblin kennels.


Quiet, Dicey, I'm trying to watch Glenn.

Qadira

LazarX wrote:

I've never particulary gave two cents of notice to the Mustaine commentary. He pales in significance compared to the Fox stable of commnentators such as Bill (Silence your Mike) O'Reilly or Glenn "Crying Man" Beck. Mustaine might prick the ears of the Metal listeners who are close to sobriety but that pales before the millions daily that the Fox Network and the Ruper Murdoch/Donald Trump gang reaches.

And before you start throwing Rachael Maddow and John Stewart at me, I would argue when it comes to sheer presence, it's not an equal field by any measure.

So John Stewart and his ilk that are on TV every day spouting their beliefs have less of a presence than one rock star that is rarely heard nationally? Fox news and trump REALLY get more air time than the hordes of liberal celebrities?

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Andrew R wrote:
So John Stewart and his ilk that are on TV every day spouting their beliefs have less of a presence than one rock star that is rarely heard nationally? Fox news and trump REALLY get more air time than the hordes of liberal celebrities?

John Stewart is on one hour a day, unless the Daily Show is in reruns. That's less than Sean Hannity (who has a nationally syndicated radio show, a daily hour-long Fox News show, and often appears on Fox News for commentary) alone.


Andrew R wrote:
Fox news and trump REALLY get more air time than the hordes of liberal celebrities?

Let me put it this way -- I travel all over TX, OK, KS, and LA on business. I have yet to eat breakfast at a hotel that didn't have Fox News playing on the TV in the breakfast area. That's only a moderate sample size, but it's also 100% for that particular survey.

Qadira

Kirth Gersen wrote:
Andrew R wrote:
Fox news and trump REALLY get more air time than the hordes of liberal celebrities?
Let me put it this way -- I travel all over TX, OK, KS, and LA on business. I have yet to eat breakfast at a hotel that didn't have Fox News playing on the TV in the breakfast area. That's only a moderate sample size, but it's also 100% for that particular survey.

And it seems every time i turn on my TV i get a liberal slanted comedy like the Simpsons or Family guy. As a matter of fact damn near ALL TV these days is very liberal biased. Oh except that evil fox news that dares to disagree


Andrew R wrote:
As a matter of fact damn near ALL TV these days is very liberal biased. Oh except that evil fox news that dares to disagree

If your definition of "liberal" is "not Fox News," then yes, you're 100% correct.

And when Family Guy is on 24/7 masquerading as a news program, I'll eat every word.

Qadira

A Man In Black wrote:
Andrew R wrote:
So John Stewart and his ilk that are on TV every day spouting their beliefs have less of a presence than one rock star that is rarely heard nationally? Fox news and trump REALLY get more air time than the hordes of liberal celebrities?
John Stewart is on one hour a day, unless the Daily Show is in reruns. That's less than Sean Hannity (who has a nationally syndicated radio show, a daily hour-long Fox News show, and often appears on Fox News for commentary) alone.

Ok that was one on one. Now add up ALL of the liberal VS conservatives on TV and tell me what the true numbers are.

Qadira

Kirth Gersen wrote:
Andrew R wrote:
As a matter of fact damn near ALL TV these days is very liberal biased. Oh except that evil fox news that dares to disagree
If your definition of "liberal" is "not Fox News," then yes, you're 100% correct.

The vast majority is at least a bit left of center. FN stands out because it is the only one significantly right of center.


Andrew R wrote:
Ok that was one on one. Now add up ALL of the liberal VS conservatives on TV and tell me what the true numbers are.

Let's add up national syndicated radio air time, too.

Qadira

Kirth Gersen wrote:
Andrew R wrote:
As a matter of fact damn near ALL TV these days is very liberal biased. Oh except that evil fox news that dares to disagree

If your definition of "liberal" is "not Fox News," then yes, you're 100% correct.

And when Family Guy is on 24/7 masquerading as a news program, I'll eat every word.

And you discount the social impact of shows like that?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Andrew R wrote:
The vast majority is at least a bit left of center. FN stands out because it is the only one significantly right of center.

Again, you're pegging "center" based on your own views, though. Most of the rest of the world views all the "left of center" U.S. shows as being "far right."


Andrew R wrote:
Kirth Gersen wrote:
Andrew R wrote:
As a matter of fact damn near ALL TV these days is very liberal biased. Oh except that evil fox news that dares to disagree
If your definition of "liberal" is "not Fox News," then yes, you're 100% correct.
The vast majority is at least a bit left of center. FN stands out because it is the only one significantly right of center.

Only because the center has been dragged so far to the right.

Ninja'ed while editing.


By the way, Citizens Gersen and R., have you provided music links yet?

[Sharpens final blade]


Andrew R wrote:
And you discount the social impact of shows like that?

I give people more credit than you do, and less than Fox News does.

I assume most people recognize "Family Guy" as satirical humor, not meant to be taken seriously, so they come away with a few chuckles and no real internalized political message.
I know from experience that most people who watch Fox News don't bother to check which of the "facts" are news and which are "entertainment" (aka manufatured out of whole cloth), so they end up thinking it's all true.

My best buddy here in Texas is an avid viewer of both, by the way!

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Know what, we're done here. We've come pretty far from the original topic, and it's important that political threads stay on topic.

201 to 241 of 241 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Off-Topic Discussions / Dave Mustaine seems to have lost touch with reality All Messageboards

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.