Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

I'm impressed. Thanks Paizo.


Beginner Box

Cheliax

Ok. Well I am very impressed with this box set, it has brought me into the game. I've been supporting Paizo and PF since it came out. I've had the core book since it came out, I bought a bunch of stuff... Never used it. No one would play, as everyone I played with was in The OSR and ADnD 1e, which I love . So for my birthday my wife got me this box set, yesterday nd said she saw these books on my shelf, thought I would love it. Well while she's not a gamer, her gift was a cool purchase for me.

So long story short we are playing this weekend! Can anyone tell me has anyone produced products for the box set? Like fans or third party?


Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Welcome to the Boards Lord Nikon.

And sadly no direct products were made for the BB,
but low level PF modules can be run using the BB with very little work, like Crypt of Everflame.

edit: so I stand corrected.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Actually, there are at least two third party adventures written for Beginner Box rules.

Also, in addition to the adventure in the Box itself, there's some free downloads here.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

There are some additional free pdfs available atBeginner Box, both for GMs and players.

Also 0one Games currently has 2 adventures in their Basic Paths line for it.

Basic Paths

edit damn, ninjaed!

Cheliax

wow cool thanks for the warm welcome guys, and the info. I really like the box set. It really reminds me of the old Moldvay and Mentzer boxes. Thanks for the third party stuff!

Curious, are they licensed? or working under the OGL stuff?

Grand Lodge

Lord Nikon wrote:

wow cool thanks for the warm welcome guys, and the info. I really like the box set. It really reminds me of the old Moldvay and Mentzer boxes. Thanks for the third party stuff!

Curious, are they licensed? or working under the OGL stuff?

OGL but with the blessings of Paizo (who is very 3PP friendly)

Contributor

Thanks, welcome, and congrats on having a smart and gamer-aware wife! :)

Everyone else has linked stuff I would have linked, so... :)

Cheliax

So if I wanted to make my own modules, I'd have to apply for a license? or could I do it on the side following the OGL?

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

Lord Nikon wrote:
So if I wanted to make my own modules, I'd have to apply for a license? or could I do it on the side following the OGL?

If you're interested in creating your own modules for sale, you'll want to read through the Compatibility License thoroughly. If you just want to make them for free, your better option is the Community Use Policy.

Cheliax

Thanks Liz for the quick response. I've written a bunch of modules, so I'd fall under the Compatibility license.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Was just going to start a thread about the same thing (complementing the BB) but since this one is current I'll just jump aboard instead.

First, welcome to Pathfinder, Lord Nikon.

Second, my hat is off to Paizo for this one. Truly a stunning victory in gaming. I've been gaming for 22 years now. . . I think that's right. So when I picked up the box it was because I try to get as much product from Paizo as I can (in fact, I bought two - one to open and one to keep mint).

With that said I must say the product is practically magic. It helped my long-time girlfriend actually get interested in gaming. This was by no means an easy feat. Before she met me she had never even heard of PnP gaming. I had tried twice before to get her into the hobby with other systems but it never stuck. She was interested in the story aspect but she always got hung up on the rules no matter how much I tried to break down the simplicity. She would get frustrated and eventually give up. I was ready to give up on trying to get her interested after both failures, but I had the box and I figured maybe the third time's a charm. It was. Thanks to the perfect storm of formatting, execution, and the rules-lite approach she was able to grasp the mechanics without getting frustrated. Plus, she was actually willing to read the Hero's Handbook which was shocking. This is possibly the best gateway product for our hobby since I started in 1990.

So count me down as another truly impressed customer.

Cheers,
Tony

Contributor

Lord Nikon, just to be clear:

If you're just writing adventures for your own use and you don't want to

(1) share them for free on a website, or
(2) sell them (in print or electronic format),

you don't need to use either of those licenses.

If it's just for your home game; write what you want, play how you want, it's all good. The licenses are only for publishing things for sale or sharing your stuff outside your gaming group.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Liz Courts wrote:
Lord Nikon wrote:
So if I wanted to make my own modules, I'd have to apply for a license? or could I do it on the side following the OGL?
If you're interested in creating your own modules for sale, you'll want to read through the Compatibility License thoroughly. If you just want to make them for free, your better option is the Community Use Policy.

You'll also need Wizards of the Coast's Open Game License, which you can find on the last page of the Hero's Handbook.


Also, after re-reading my earlier statement, I want to clarify that the previous failures were on my end, not my girlfriend's. My previous wording makes it sound like I was being overly harsh toward her attempts to learn. That's not the case - I just couldn't quite teach gaming in a way that clicked until the Beginner Box came along. Just wanted to clear that up. Thanks again.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

Don't worry, mate. I think everyone understood your intent.


Just to add to the feedback... thanks, Paizo. I've already bought two Beginner Boxes; one for myself and one for a friend as a B-Day present. I plan on getting more of them as presents, as the value and ease of understanding is the best I've seen in my two decades of fantasy gaming. This product deserves to win the Ennie Award for Best Product this year. By a landslide.

Cheliax

The Block Knight wrote:

Was just going to start a thread about the same thing (complementing the BB) but since this one is current I'll just jump aboard instead.

First, welcome to Pathfinder, Lord Nikon.

Second, my hat is off to Paizo for this one. Truly a stunning victory in gaming. I've been gaming for 22 years now. . . I think that's right. So when I picked up the box it was because I try to get as much product from Paizo as I can (in fact, I bought two - one to open and one to keep mint).

With that said I must say the product is practically magic. It helped my long-time girlfriend actually get interested in gaming. This was by no means an easy feat. Before she met me she had never even heard of PnP gaming. I had tried twice before to get her into the hobby with other systems but it never stuck. She was interested in the story aspect but she always got hung up on the rules no matter how much I tried to break down the simplicity. She would get frustrated and eventually give up. I was ready to give up on trying to get her interested after both failures, but I had the box and I figured maybe the third time's a charm. It was. Thanks to the perfect storm of formatting, execution, and the rules-lite approach she was able to grasp the mechanics without getting frustrated. Plus, she was actually willing to read the Hero's Handbook which was shocking. This is possibly the best gateway product for our hobby since I started in 1990.

So count me down as another truly impressed customer.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks for the nice story and sharing your results. I also am in hopes of teaching my wife. She seemed to like the box and the minis in the box.

Yes I do plan on writing modules for sale, I've done it under the OGL for the OSR before.


Ninja Dog wrote:
Just to add to the feedback... thanks, Paizo. I've already bought two Beginner Boxes; one for myself and one for a friend as a B-Day present. I plan on getting more of them as presents, as the value and ease of understanding is the best I've seen in my two decades of fantasy gaming. This product deserves to win the Ennie Award for Best Product this year. By a landslide.

Agreed. I know I voted for it. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Lord Nikon wrote:

Thanks for the nice story and sharing your results. I also am in hopes of teaching my wife. She seemed to like the box and the minis in the box.

Yes I do plan on writing modules for sale, I've done it under the OGL for the OSR before.

I find the minis really help (I've also bought all the plastic ones from Heroes and Monsters). Hope your wife takes to it, it's always nice when you can share your hobby with the ones you love. Also, good luck on the modules - I'll keep my eyes open to see what comes of it.

Cheers,
Tony

Cheliax

Thanks will be a while before that happens. While I know 3e rules inside and out, I don't know PF box. Plus I have a lot of work to do the modules these companies do is not like the OSR.


Congratulations Lord Nikon, that is quite the pack of titled lurkers you drew there.

Cheliax

Can'tFindthePath wrote:
Congratulations Lord Nikon, that is quite the pack of titled lurkers you drew there.

err thanks I guess?


Lord Nikon wrote:
Can'tFindthePath wrote:
Congratulations Lord Nikon, that is quite the pack of titled lurkers you drew there.
err thanks I guess?

Well, not everyone makes a gracious post and gets Sean, Liz, Vic, and Erik to respond to it...all in two days. :)

Cheliax

Oh well. Not sure what to say. I just know I've enjoyed playing this box set since I've got it.


He was just making a funny, Lord Nikon, don't read so far into it :P

The Beginner Box is great fun, glad I'm not the only one enjoying it out there.

Cheliax

glio wrote:

He was just making a funny, Lord Nikon, don't read so far into it :P

The Beginner Box is great fun, glad I'm not the only one enjoying it out there.

I won't. But I am happy there is modules for the box sets, even if it's third party. I hope they make more


Yep. It's awesome. I've now "graduated" my lady-friend from the BB to Rise of the Runelords. We just finished Part One of Chapter One (Anniversary Edition) today and we had a blast. She already has a love-hate relationship with Goblins. Good times.

I imagine there will be more 3PP stuff coming down the line. It's definitely a strong niche with plenty of opportunity for those willing to write for it.

Andoran

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Modules, Pawns Subscriber

I'd love to do a module for this game one day as well. Just not sure if you also need permission to use OGL material like you need permission to have Paizo's logo on it to show compatibility.


Ellestil wrote:
I'd love to do a module for this game one day as well. Just not sure if you also need permission to use OGL material like you need permission to have Paizo's logo on it to show compatibility.

Hello guys welcome to the community,

The best rule to remember is if everybody is having fun then you are doing it right.

If you make a module for home use you can do what you want. Infact Paizo has given you the tools to do so and are supper happy for you to do it. Developers and staff may even offer opinions and advice on setting and pacing (see the ask James Jacobs threads in the off topic section).

It's when you are selling or distributing it publicly then you need to look at the various rules and regulations.

If you are distributing stuff for free Paizo has a community use policy if you are selling stuff then you need to look at the licensing rules. There are several threads floating around where the Paizo guys talk about the differences and how to use the different licenses.

If you want to get published, you can look and all the different entry points RPG Superstar, open calls for modules from pathfinder society, and third party publishers.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Beginner Box / I'm impressed. Thanks Paizo. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.