Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Ultimate Equipment congratulations!


RPG Superstar™ 2012 General Discussion

Cheliax RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32, 2011 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014 aka Boxhead

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just wanted to start a quick thread to congratulate all of the past RPG Superstar items that made an appearance in Ultimate Equipment. I know many of you (us) have some other stuff published in the meantime (looking at you especially, Spicer), but I wanted to make sure people saw that even a top 32 appearance could mean a publishing credit in a Paizo hardcover.

So enter when RPG Superstar 2013 comes up!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, 2011 Top 32, 2012 Top 4

Eric Hindley wrote:
So enter when RPG Superstar 2013 comes up!

You too, mister!! ;-)

Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yeah gratz to all the people who put in hard work for it! Only about half way through it, but MAN there's a ton of cool stuff here.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Cool - Can someone post a list? I can't get my hands on a pdf of UE for another week.


Ultimate Equipment wrote:

Matt Banach (master’s perfect golden bell)

Chad Bartlett (gloves of reconnaissance)
Jesse Benner (snapleaf)
Alexander Bennett (dust of darkness)
Benjamin Bruck (steadfast gut-stone)
Will Cooper (ghostvision gloves)
Ethan Day-Jones (eye of the void)
Scott Fernandez (nightmare boots)
Jim Groves (seducer’s bane)
R. C. Higgins (waters of transfiguration)
Erik Hindley (shadow falconer’s glove)
Brian Hoffman (stone of alliance)
Sean Huguenard (smuggler’s collapsible robe)
Jerry Keyes (martyr’s tear)
Samuel Kisko (migrus locker)
Carl Klutzke (boundary chalk)
Joseph LaMothe (ampoule of false blood)
Elizabeth Leib (haunted shoes)
Jacob Manley (dust of weighty burdens)
Jonathan McAnulty (stubborn nail)
Matthew McGee (batrachian helm)
Tom Phillips (iron collar of the unbound coven)
Nicolas Quimby (goblin skull bomb)
Erik Randall (gloves of the shortened path)
David Ross (clockwork conscience)
Marie Small (verdant vine)
Neil Spicer (last leaves of the autumn dryad)
Matthew Stinson (school of eyes)
Paul Worthen (ancestral reliquary)

I was actually looking for this very thing. And I was pleased when I saw it clearly labeled on the Credits page as "numerous RPG Superstar contributors (see page 387)"

Edit: And it even includes the stubborn nail, which didn't quite crack the top 32 (but did make SKR's "really good" list)!

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Thanks, Veiled Nail - and a big congratulations to everyone who got their item published.

Now I just have to keep telling myself that the Sunrise shawl would totally have made the list if UE hadn't already been deep in development during RPGSS 2012.

@Eric Hindley - I'm especially pleased your Shadow falconer's glove made the cut. It is one of my favorite items from all the past RPGSS's.

Star Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Nice! Congratulations folks!

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Jacob Trier wrote:


Now I just have to keep telling myself that the Sunrise shawl would totally have made the list if UE hadn't already been deep in development during RPGSS 2012.
Ultimate Equipment wrote:

Matt Banach (master’s perfect golden bell)

Chad Bartlett (gloves of reconnaissance)
Jesse Benner (snapleaf)
Alexander Bennett (dust of darkness)
Benjamin Bruck (steadfast gut-stone)
Will Cooper (ghostvision gloves)
Ethan Day-Jones (eye of the void)
Scott Fernandez (nightmare boots)
Jim Groves (seducer’s bane)
R. C. Higgins (waters of transfiguration)
Erik Hindley (shadow falconer’s glove)
Brian Hoffman (stone of alliance)
Sean Huguenard (smuggler’s collapsible robe)
Jerry Keyes (martyr’s tear)
Samuel Kisko (migrus locker)
Carl Klutzke (boundary chalk)
Joseph LaMothe (ampoule of false blood)
Elizabeth Leib (haunted shoes)
Jacob Manley (dust of weighty burdens)
Jonathan McAnulty (stubborn nail)
Matthew McGee (batrachian helm)
Tom Phillips (iron collar of the unbound coven)
Nicolas Quimby (goblin skull bomb)
Erik Randall (gloves of the shortened path)
David Ross (clockwork conscience)
Marie Small (verdant vine)
Neil Spicer (last leaves of the autumn dryad)
Matthew Stinson (school of eyes)
Paul Worthen (ancestral reliquary)

Well, don't I feel foolish...way to represent, fellow 2012'ers. I'm man enough to admit I feel a little bit jealous.

Cheliax RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32, 2011 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014 aka Boxhead

Jacob Trier wrote:

Thanks, Veiled Nail - and a big congratulations to everyone who got their item published.

Now I just have to keep telling myself that the Sunrise shawl would totally have made the list if UE hadn't already been deep in development during RPGSS 2012.

@Eric Hindley - I'm especially pleased your Shadow falconer's glove made the cut. It is one of my favorite items from all the past RPGSS's.

Thank you for the kind words, Jacob! To be honest, I'm not sure if I would have been the one to start this thread if it hadn't...

You can always get some work freelancing for Paizo and sneak it in someplace, it seemed to work for Jason Nelson... ;)

Cheliax RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32, 2011 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014 aka Boxhead

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tom Phillips wrote:
Eric Hindley wrote:
So enter when RPG Superstar 2013 comes up!
You too, mister!! ;-)

Just try and top me, I can't let you be the only one with three of these tags...

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014 aka motteditor

Yeah, color me jealous too! (Interesting that at least one that didn't make the RPGSS cut made the book...)

Though as I've told Eric, the shadow falconer's glove is one of my all-time favorites, so I'm also glad to see that become canon.

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Champion Voter 2013, Champion Voter 2014

Congrats to everyone that made the list!

Glad to see ampoule of false blood and verdant vine made the cut.


I have some unfortunate news:

ancestral reliquary, iron collar of the unbound coven and clockwork conscience are listed as items that are published in this book - but are not actually in the book, except on the RPG Superstar credit page.

I've already posted about this in the Ultimate Equipment Errata thread, so hopefully there will be some measure of remediation. My previous post was just the listing from the credits page.

Qadira RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, Contributor

I dont' think my SS item made the cut either... (I don't have the book yet). I kind of figured it wouldn't though since it is strongly tied to Pharasma. Maybe I'll try and sneak it into a PFS scenario ;)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, 2011 Top 32, 2012 Top 4

Veiled Nail wrote:
I have some unfortunate news:

I PM'ed SKR about it last week, and he explained that my iron crown was cut without his knowledge during layout (he compiled the list). A bit unfortunate, but these things happen.

I still appreciate the "honorable mention" in the back of the book! :-)

Star Voter 2013

Congrats to all of you, all the hard work put into these items really does deserve recognition.

But, on the bright side, that means I won't have to compete against any of you next year, improving my chances. Huzzah! ;)

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

RonarsCorruption wrote:
But, on the bright side, that means I won't have to compete against any of you next year, improving my chances. Huzzah! ;)

Hate to burst your bubble, but getting an item published in a paizo book does not automatically exclude you, as long as they don't stick your name on the front page.

RPG Superstar Contest Rules wrote:
1. The contest is open to the general public, with the following exceptions: Employees of Paizo Publishing, their immediate family members, and persons with whom such employees are domiciled are ineligible. Anyone who has been employed full-time as a designer for a game company is ineligible. Anyone with a cover credit on a hardcover RPG book is ineligible. Designers who have cover credits on print editions of Paizo's Pathfinder or GameMastery products are ineligible. The top 8 finalists of all previous RPG Superstar contests are ineligible. Contestants must provide their real names on their paizo.com account. Legal identification must be produced on request.

On the bright side, this means more awesome stuff in the contest if any of these guys decide to run again.

Star Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

True, but Dennis has a contributor and Tom is Top 4.
Tom I would really love to see your creation process as you have captured mojo three years running :) Even if it was not in the book. Congrats again for the "honorable mention" :)

Taldor RPG Superstar 2013 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014 aka primemover003

STUNNING SCREECH!

W00t, I think I spored on myself! Congrats to all my fellow Superstars who got in.

--If you wanna be Vrock superstar & live large...

Qadira RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, Contributor

Curaigh wrote:

True, but Dennis has a contributor and Tom is Top 4.

Tom I would really love to see your creation process as you have captured mojo three years running :) Even if it was not in the book. Congrats again for the "honorable mention" :)

Actually... even though I've been published in 3 hardcovers and 3 PFS scenarios I am still qualified to compete. I was seriously debating submitting to last years contest but at the time I was working on God's Market Gamble and Ultimate Combat and figured it was better to leave the 'golden ticket' to new people. Spicer was encouraging me to enter at the time.

If I don't land a module by next RPGSS...

Star Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Nice, I thought the tag was enough, but I am glad we get a module from you if you do not qualify and a winning entry if you do.

That Spicer! Good on him, going all Clark-y on you. :)

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

Curaigh wrote:
That Spicer! Good on him, going all Clark-y on you. :)

As an RPG Superstar judge, Clark has inspired me to a great many things...

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, 2011 Top 32, 2012 Top 4

Curaigh wrote:
Tom I would really love to see your creation process as you have captured mojo three years running :)

That's three consecutive years to you, mister! ;-)

I don't really have much of a tried and true "process", since my creation methods varied each year. But I'll try to post some of my notes and toss-away ideas from my 2010, 2011, and 2012 Superstar runs.

Curaigh wrote:
Even if it was not in the book. Congrats again for the "honorable mention" :)

Thank you!

RPG Superstar 2009, Contributor

Tom Phillips wrote:
...I'll try to post some of my notes and toss-away ideas from my 2010, 2011, and 2012 Superstar runs.

Don't forget you'll be a guest judge this year for Round One. And it might be worthwhile for you to do some sharing ahead of time, just to prepare those who'll compete for the 2013 title. Same goes for the rest of the Top 4 and other competitors. Do what you can to give back.

Star Voter 2013

Ah, see, I got my hopes up that the best of you would be caught up in all the paperwork. Oh well, I'll just have to work extra hard to make up for it. ;)

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Neil Spicer wrote:
Tom Phillips wrote:
...I'll try to post some of my notes and toss-away ideas from my 2010, 2011, and 2012 Superstar runs.
Don't forget you'll be a guest judge this year for Round One. And it might be worthwhile for you to do some sharing ahead of time, just to prepare those who'll compete for the 2013 title. Same goes for the rest of the Top 4 and other competitors. Do what you can to give back.

Yes...listen to the nice man and toss out some wisdom for us poor dregs going at it again.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014 aka motteditor

What Jacob 3 said. Tom, I'd love to hear your method (though if it's anything like mine, it won't be much help, since mine just sort of come to me). Three consecutive years is pretty amazing (and coming up with a module that was unfortunately too close to what Paizo was already planning, to boot).

Star Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014

Tom Phillips wrote:
Curaigh wrote:
Tom I would really love to see your creation process as you have captured mojo three years running :)

That's three consecutive years to you, mister! ;-)

Thank you!

I do bow before thee, oh great skull of Qadim.

In all honesty I would have voted for you on that credit alone. Fortunately you were not resting on those laurels and gave us great stuff the whole way.

/fan gush

:)

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014 aka Hodge Podge

Aww, no Scent of the Savored Sting? :p
This is seriously awesome though, congratulations everybody!

I should buy a copy and catch up...

Osirion Marathon Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Veiled Nail wrote:
Ultimate Equipment wrote:

Jonathan McAnulty (stubborn nail)

Cool Beans!

This was just brought to my attention today and it has made my day thus far. (teach me to fall behind on my reading...)

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Hey hey! Awesome news. I spotted the ghostvision gloves while I was reading through Ultimate Equipment. My gob, it was smacked. I am officially very pleased :-)

Congratulations to all my co-superstar-contestants in the big book o' loot.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2012 / General Discussion / Ultimate Equipment congratulations! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.