Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Continual Flame and high fashion


Pathfinder Society® General Discussion

1 to 50 of 53 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

the following from a different thread - so that I can expand on it!

"Page 25–26: Under spells, changed the wording to the following:

The following spells found in the Core Rulebook are not legal for play and may never be used, found, purchased, or learned in any form by PCs playing Pathfinder Society Scenarios: awaken, permanency, and reincarnate.
All spells and effects end at the end of a scenario with the following exceptions:
• Spells and effects with permanent or instantaneous duration that heal damage or remove harmful conditions remain in effect at the end of the scenario.
• Afflictions and harmful conditions obtained during a scenario remain until healed and carry over from scenario to scenario.
• A character may have one each of the following spells that carries overs from scenario to scenario: continual flame, masterwork transformation, secret chest, and secret page."

does the last line mean if my PC cleric casts Continual Flame on his Ioun Stone - it carries over into later scenarios?

How about if he casts it on a different PCs' equipment? that PC now has a Continual Flame cast by an XX level cleric... so, who pays the 50 gp material component cost? The Cleric PC or the Fighter getting the spell cast on his whatever? I just may post this as a thread of it's own I think....

OK.... here goes

*

I was wondering this as well. I suspect you can keep it permanently if it's both on an item you own and you pay the material cost, but I'm not certain.

Shadow Lodge *** Dedicated Voter 2014

Woot! Heirloom weapon is back baby

****

Don't be the last in your adventureing group to sport a bit of "Flash" - hurry to the exclusive design house "The Pleasure of Fashion" in the Ivy District, Absalom, to get a custom creation by that master of fashion herself, Katisha Lee, enchanting fashion designer.

Resent releases seen include,

"The Hot Cloak", a black velvet day cloak, lined in the finest red silk, "Flames" tastefully placed in the lining so as the cloak move with the wearer the flames flash from around her body, giveing that devilish look resently seen in the court of Egorian.

"Flaming Sword of Justice", rumor has it that a Andoran Eagle Knight of some note has been seen using an enchanted blade, a frost weapon, which seems to burst into flame when drawn in combat.

"Fire of the Sun", a golden holy symbol of the Dawnflower herself, set with fire rubies, shrouded in cold "Flames"

these are but a few of the resent items - surely there will be others!

(any ideas/suggestions?)

*

Of course such an item would be de rigeur for clerics of Sarenrae or Asmodeus, but there is a crunchier use.

A Heightened continual flame would not be suppressed by the ever-so-common deeper darkness spell. A level 7 PC with Heighten Spell could provide useful accessories for everyone he adventures with.

** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Just wait for the scenarios with Heightened Deeper Darkness to start coming out...

The Exchange ****

Take Boat wrote:

Of course such an item would be de rigeur for clerics of Sarenrae or Asmodeus, but there is a crunchier use.

A Heightened continual flame would not be suppressed by the ever-so-common deeper darkness spell. A level 7 PC with Heighten Spell could provide useful accessories for everyone he adventures with.

yeah, true - but even a 5th level cleric can cast a 3rd level Continual Flame.

I have a Cleric (10th now) who has been casting C.F. on an Ioun Stone at the start of every adventure for a long time... mainly to disguise the fact that the Ioun Stone is NOT an Iount Torch. This will start saving him 50 gp each adventure...

But I'm betting I'll still need to prep that spell, just to give it out to other PCs. I'm just not sure who spends the 50gp for the material component... after all if my Cleric spends it, is it transfering wealth to another PC? if the other PC hands him the component, is it transfering wealth to my cleric FROM another PC?

****

Gnome Pyros with a skullcap with C.F. - Talk about "flame colored hair"!

****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

pfff.... get into the spirit! this thread if for funny/fashionable ideas on how to use Continual Flame - not on rule gimmicks! (yeah, there'll be those to, but later.)

Saddle blanket for my mule. So I can ride into town on a flaming a... never mind.

Sczarni **

Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Continual flame on a feather for a dandy's hat. Why? Because why not?

****

Jack-of-Blades wrote:
Continual flame on a feather for a dandy's hat. Why? Because why not?

this is cool. "Fire that tickles"

Liberty's Edge ***** Venture-Lieutenant, California—Fresno aka Sarta

Katisha wrote:
Gnome Pyros with a skullcap with C.F. - Talk about "flame colored hair"!

You better believe my gnome theologian of Brigh will be sporting something similar.

Grand Lodge ** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Tongue ring.

****

Jiggy wrote:
Tongue ring.

O.O ... wow. Yeah...

In pure silver, not to over stated do you think?

Silver Crusade **

A skull, for those given to drama.

Grand Lodge **** Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2015

Takeaway Vudran curry.
Partially charcoaled log.
Dragon's wishbone.
Circlet of Blasting.
Emptied Wand of Darkness.
Aasimar wings.

Paizo Employee *****

Katisha wrote:

the following from a different thread - so that I can expand on it!

"Page 25–26: Under spells, changed the wording to the following:

The following spells found in the Core Rulebook are not legal for play and may never be used, found, purchased, or learned in any form by PCs playing Pathfinder Society Scenarios: awaken, permanency, and reincarnate.
All spells and effects end at the end of a scenario with the following exceptions:
• Spells and effects with permanent or instantaneous duration that heal damage or remove harmful conditions remain in effect at the end of the scenario.
• Afflictions and harmful conditions obtained during a scenario remain until healed and carry over from scenario to scenario.
• A character may have one each of the following spells that carries overs from scenario to scenario: continual flame, masterwork transformation, secret chest, and secret page."

does the last line mean if my PC cleric casts Continual Flame on his Ioun Stone - it carries over into later scenarios?

How about if he casts it on a different PCs' equipment? that PC now has a Continual Flame cast by an XX level cleric... so, who pays the 50 gp material component cost? The Cleric PC or the Fighter getting the spell cast on his whatever? I just may post this as a thread of it's own I think....

OK.... here goes

The even more intriguing question is whether I can cast heightened continual flame on my friends' gear and have them keep that effect. This is particularly important for me since I will soon be losing the ability to heighten spells, as I only received it from a strange Harrowing--if I want to help my friends in this way, I'll need to do it soon.

The Exchange ****

KestlerGunner wrote:

Takeaway Vudran curry.

Partially charcoaled log.
Dragon's wishbone.
Circlet of Blasting.
Emptied Wand of Darkness.
Aasimar wings.

not sure if the curry counts as an "object" - but I love the idea! food with warning labels anyone can read!

heck! a full Wand of Darkness! the spell is only suppressed when you are next to it (range touch), so you tap something with the wand, and walk away. boom! darkness!

Aasimar wings would only work if they were an object... so, are they still attached to the Aasimar? is it dead?

Grand Lodge **** Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2015

Aasimar corpse.
FIXED. >:D

****

(Casting raise thread)

it's been a while now that we can have Continual Flame cast on things, and have it be Continual.

What things have you had it cast on?

Have you seen it cast on anything unusual? What?

My PC asked for it to be cast on the lining of a Cloak - though the judge marked it as on "the lining of a skirt/cloak"... though I haven't played her again sense then (I may be playing her tonight though... "she's hot").

***** Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka CRobledo

6th level heightened continual flame on ioun torch. Screw you darkness!

The Exchange ****

CRobledo wrote:
6th level heightened continual flame on ioun torch. Screw you darkness!

on an burned out Ioun stone? why not on an active stone? (thus "concealing" exactly what the Ioun stone is).

***** Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka CRobledo

nosig wrote:
CRobledo wrote:
6th level heightened continual flame on ioun torch. Screw you darkness!
on an burned out Ioun stone? why not on an active stone? (thus "concealing" exactly what the Ioun stone is).

I didnt have any others at the time :P Just buy like 15 dull grays and float those up too. Then you can have an ioun halo!

The Exchange ****

CRobledo wrote:
nosig wrote:
CRobledo wrote:
6th level heightened continual flame on ioun torch. Screw you darkness!
on an burned out Ioun stone? why not on an active stone? (thus "concealing" exactly what the Ioun stone is).
I didnt have any others at the time :P Just buy like 15 dull grays and float those up too. Then you can have an ioun halo!

lol.

I got Seekers of Secrets, and have been useing the cracked Ioun stones (cheap price!) for skill bumps. And the +1 to Init! for 500gp. very nice.

Liberty's Edge ****

nosig wrote:
CRobledo wrote:
nosig wrote:
CRobledo wrote:
6th level heightened continual flame on ioun torch. Screw you darkness!
on an burned out Ioun stone? why not on an active stone? (thus "concealing" exactly what the Ioun stone is).
I didnt have any others at the time :P Just buy like 15 dull grays and float those up too. Then you can have an ioun halo!

lol.

I got Seekers of Secrets, and have been useing the cracked Ioun stones (cheap price!) for skill bumps. And the +1 to Init! for 500gp. very nice.

Doing the same thing for my third level Sorcerer. Only 4 Ioun stones, including an Ioun Torch, but +1 to Init, UMD, Diplo and Bluff, IIRC.

****

ARRRGGG!
Got my Flaming Cape dispelled!
My PC has never done a HP of damage - but she almost broke her record. SO tempted to smake the bit... ah, creature that dispelled my bit of fashion 'Bling'!
Now I have to go get another one made... (pout)

The Exchange ****

Jiggy wrote:
Tongue ring.

This is a bit of a thread Necro - but I had to post this for Jiggy.

.
My Tiefling has the Continual Flameing Tongue Ring bit! Cool RP gimmick! Mostly she is vailed, but everytime she talks her vail flashes slightly - spooky!

(though I have had one judge say I can't use it at his table - it seems that "10 gp for a silver tongue ring" does not appear on any equipment list, and therefore he would not allow me to buy it. The spell is fine, just the jewelry is not allowed.)

Sczarni **

"Costume jewelry 50 gold" as a part of a courtier's outfit...pony up the extra 40 gp, get a ruby set in the ring and flame on!

****

I've had a Continual Flame cast on my armor - so I have a flaming chain shirt! But this raises a question that will require a judges call. You see, my armor is Mistmail, and I normally have it turned into mist - so, does the Mist Flame? in other words, if I sit at your table, would you have the Continual Flame spell still be active (on the Mist around me? or on me? or what?) or would you have it "not active" when the armor is in mist form.
.
Either way is cool. Just wondering how differenty judges will rule this, and I can totally understand that it is YMMV.
1) surrounded by flaming mist - this is just a kewl effect!
2) surrounded by mist, but when I'm hit by a flame effect (like a fireball), then my armor reforms on me, and I'm wearing "flaming armor" or I've caught on fire ("I have a really good bluff!").


FLAMING CODPIECE.

wigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle

You know you want it.

-j

The Exchange ****

Jason Wu wrote:

FLAMING CODPIECE.

wigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle

You know you want it.

-j

so it would be a good thing to have Fire Resistance 5?

Dedicated Voter 2013

How about when people try to have summoned Lantern Archons casting Continual Flame for you? That's silly.

*

Put CF on your back and pretend you don't know it's there.
Spin around in circles looking for it.
Then spin around in circles pretending it's burning you.
:)
(They probably do this in clown shows.)

Put inside your full-visor helmet, flame coming from sockets.
(You may want that Elf trait that makes you immune to light, or your GM may argue it hinders you. I would.)

In your cleavage.
"My eyes are up here, thank you!"
"But-"
"What about my butt!"
"Huh?"
"Just messin' with you, Torch."
(growl)
"Too soon?"
"OUT!"

Anywhere. :)
Everywhere. :)
(Too bad only one carries over.)

On a returning weapon. It'd be cool watch it spin back and forth. Heck, I'd be throwing it just for the show.

I'm reminded of a Gnome Rogue in an old game I DMed. (that old)
Scouting a dungeon full of Orcs & Ogres.
"How come they can see me? I have great Hide (Stealth)."
"How come you can see them?"
"I have a Conti...Oh." (gulp)

I can't believe a GM wouldn't let you have a tongue ring. Jeesh.

Cheers, JMK

The Exchange ****

some Judges just try to figure out how you're "gaming the system", not realizing that the reason I want the visual effect, is for the visual effect.

Judge: "but if you got it on a tongue ring, fire would LOOK LIKE it was coming out of your mouth when ever you talked."
me: "Yeah! exactly! And I'm wearing a veil, so it sort of flashes whenever I talk."
Judge: "yeah... no way am I going to let that sort of thing fly at my table"
me: "what sort of thing?"

Silver Crusade ***** Venture-Captain, Indiana—Bloomington aka CanisDirus

Castilliano wrote:

On a returning weapon. It'd be cool watch it spin back and forth. Heck, I'd be throwing it just for the show.

Would that be anything like putting Faerie Fire on a Returning Chakram and making it look like Tron?

****

Thread Necro -
continual flame seems to be popping up again - and I think this is a fun thread, so I brought it back....

****

Thread Necro again-

I like hearing fun things people do with this spell.

Anyone got any new ones?

Shadow Lodge *** Dedicated Voter 2014

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Shamus, my gnome, had a crocodile skull for a hat. When he fought a skeletal dragon he snagged the skull for a hat upgrade.

He has continual flame in the eyes, looking out at you. When he wants to be in the dark, he blindfolds the dragon.

So yes, hiding his face actually DOES mean you can't see him.

The Exchange ****

BigNorseWolf wrote:

Shamus, my gnome, had a crocodile skull for a hat. When he fought a skeletal dragon he snagged the skull for a hat upgrade.

He has continual flame in the eyes, looking out at you. When he wants to be in the dark, he blindfolds the dragon.

So yes, hiding his face actually DOES mean you can't see him.

now this is kewl.

.
does the "flame" come out of the sockets, or just back in the eye holes? basicly, if I'm behind him does it look like his heads on fire, or something like a light in front of him?

Shadow Lodge *** Dedicated Voter 2014

nosig wrote:


.
does the "flame" come out of the sockets, or just back in the eye holes? basicly, if I'm behind him does it look like his heads on fire, or something like a light in front of him?

I pictured it like headlights.

The Exchange ****

BigNorseWolf wrote:
nosig wrote:


.
does the "flame" come out of the sockets, or just back in the eye holes? basicly, if I'm behind him does it look like his heads on fire, or something like a light in front of him?

I pictured it like headlights.

that's cool...

and it would be even cooler underwater!

Grand Lodge *

This reminds me of Living FR. Cast continual flame on a copper piece, put a drop of glue in the bottom of a scroll tube then drop the coin in. Flashlight! And just cover the open end when you need darkness.

Silver Crusade ****

Flaming Halo of
Inner Calm; could this be a
contradiction, yes?

not the best haiku...

Shadow Lodge

<.< >.> No one has suggested pants of CF for someone with a high bluff. :)

****

doing the thread necro thing, fishing to see if anyone has seen any new uses for the Continual Flame spell... something fashionable please!

Grand Lodge ****

Thinking of having it on a 'charm necklace' or medallion on my Maagamban Arcanist.. have her pull it out of her shirt, open it and show the light around @ Cont. Flame 4th or 5th.

(Had one GM recently tell us because Deeper Darkness doesn't EXPLICITLY say that it's countered by Daylight that we were still in darkness after a player pulled it out. NEVER HAPPENING AGAIN.)


I've used it on two of my characters. Had the idea to use it for fashion and didn't even know this thread existed. A druid with a dragonhide breastplate that has a filigree running through it and set on fire for extra effect and a wizard who has a dragon design on a sleeve to match the dragon tattoo on his other arm(Varisian Tattoo Conjuration. Its a black dragon that spits acid).

I also offered to cast it on a rogue's cloak so that when he went into stealth he could see better, no one could say they saw that coming, though they might see him coming.

The Exchange ****

got it cast on my tongue ring (thank you Jiggy for the idea!), so when I smile, the flames trickle out of the corners of my mouth.

Normally I wear a veil, and when I talk there's a little flicker of light...

It's such a kewl RP thing, and it easily explains my low CHA.

****

MrSin wrote:

I've used it on two of my characters. Had the idea to use it for fashion and didn't even know this thread existed. A druid with a dragonhide breastplate that has a filigree running through it and set on fire for extra effect and a wizard who has a dragon design on a sleeve to match the dragon tattoo on his other arm(Varisian Tattoo Conjuration. Its a black dragon that spits acid).

I also offered to cast it on a rogue's cloak so that when he went into stealth he could see better, no one could say they saw that coming, though they might see him coming.

doing the thread necro thing again, still fishing to see if anyone has seen any new uses for the Continual Flame spell... something fashionable please!

Welcome to Katisha's Flaming Boutique "The Pleasure of Fashion" in the Ivy District, Absalom, - where special orders are very welcome...

"usually that costs extra - but for you...we'll make an exception!"

** Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I love this thread.

I just had my CF cast on a burned out Ioun Stone.

I feel so unimaginative now...

I think my Swashbuckler may have to have her Plume of Panache CF'ed.

Or maybe her Scimitar. heck, it's a shame you can only have one going between sessions.. I may invest in a wand of CF, and blow 5 charges each scenario just for the laugh value...

1 to 50 of 53 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Continual Flame and high fashion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.