Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Masterwork backpack question


Rules Questions

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

If you have on a masterwork backpack, your STR is 1 higher for encumbrance. So if I have on 5 masterwork backpacks, does that mean my STR is 5 higher for encumbrance? Just saying. No place in the description does it say you can only use 1 at a time. It also does not say that the bonus is not cumilitive. ;)


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Your STR is counted as 1 higher for encumbrance, for what you are carrying in the backpack.
All are separate, and all only effect themselves.

They do not stack in the fashion you are describing.

Designer, RPG Superstar Judge

10 people marked this as a favorite.

Yes, because what the game needs is a specific rule calling out that you can only wear one backpack.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game Subscriber

I'd rule you can wear one for each back you have.

Hmm, does the ARG let you have more than one back on a race you make?

Cheliax

Ohmygod FAQ this right now. This is certainly not something that people can figure out for themselves.


You could wear a backpack on your front. That be a frontpack then, I guess. And you could balance one on your head.
And you can put a backpack inside a backpack, inside a backpack, inside...

But seriously, if the MW Backpack is not enough, you should look into Muleback Cords. +8 to Strength for carrying purposes.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

A masterwork man purse can be worn in front and stacks, if you're willing to take the penalty to intimidate checks.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Wear one one your fanny. A fanny pack. Yeah, I got too much free time at work today.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

So, I heard you like backpacks....


Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Yes, because what the game needs is a specific rule calling out that you can only wear one backpack.

actually, people often use two backpacks when going hiking or somewhere else, a friend of mine also wear one on each his shoulders when going to Balaton or to LARP. Sure, more than two can't be done as you would have to carry them in hand, but 2 is possible


On a serious note, did anyone notice that the Masterwork Backpack weighs twice as much as a standard backpack?


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

It's benefit is still limited to what's in the backpack.

So, for whatever you carry in backpack A, your strength score counts as 1 higher, and for whatever you carry in backpack B, your strength counts as 1 higher.
It does not matter how many masterwork backpacks you carry, your strength will only count as 1 higher for what you carry in each individual backpack.

Designer, RPG Superstar Judge

Ryu Kaijitsu wrote:
actually, people often use two backpacks when going hiking or somewhere else, a friend of mine also wear one on each his shoulders when going to Balaton or to LARP. Sure, more than two can't be done as you would have to carry them in hand, but 2 is possible

And I'm sure wearing two backpacks doesn't hinder them in any way...

Andoran

For the love of all things good, pure and holy, stop arguing with the Dev when they answer the question you ask.

You sat at your computer, you logged on to the messageboard, you asked a question in the hope that the Devs would respond.

AND THEY DID!

So you say thank you. You say thank you because you got exactly what you wanted.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

My explanation works fine, and there is no need to argue about if you can, or cannot carry more than one backpack.


Can I wear more than one pair of Masterwork Pants at a time? My friends do it when they LARP. However, I do it ALL THE TIME.


Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Ryu Kaijitsu wrote:
actually, people often use two backpacks when going hiking or somewhere else, a friend of mine also wear one on each his shoulders when going to Balaton or to LARP. Sure, more than two can't be done as you would have to carry them in hand, but 2 is possible
And I'm sure wearing two backpacks doesn't hinder them in any way...

I didn't say the char should get str bonuses (even the base idea for only one backpack is silly), I just point out that "you can only wear one backpack" is wrong.

And if we talk fantasy, let's not even discuss how many backpacks a centaur could wear at once.

Andoran

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I just wanted to see what other people would say. My original post is the type of question I would get from my players.


WEAR ALL THE BACKPACKS.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
CapeCodRPGer wrote:
I just wanted to see what other people would say. My original post is the type of question I would get from my players.

Well, I have given you a detailed reason as to why it does not work that way.

Use that.


Ryu Kaijitsu wrote:


And if we talk fantasy, let's not even discuss how many backpacks a centaur could wear at once.

One backpack. Plus multiple saddlebags ;-)


How many neckpacks can a Hyrda wear?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game Subscriber

That depends. Before or after the adventurer's show up?


Xzaral wrote:
That depends. Before or after the adventurer's show up?

Before of course, we need to know how many neckpacks the GM is screwing us out of. :P

Designer, RPG Superstar Judge

Ryu Kaijitsu wrote:
I didn't say the char should get str bonuses (even the base idea for only one backpack is silly), I just point out that "you can only wear one backpack" is wrong.

There's a difference between "you can wear only one backpack" in real life and "you can only wear one backpack effectively while adventuring." IRL you can strap a shield to each arm, one to your chest, one to your back, and a buckler on your head, but the game only lets you get the benefit of shields you're wielding appropriately (with an arm). I don't care if the shield strapped to your chest is a +5 heavy fortification ghost touch heavy steel shield... it's not providing you any benefit.

Likewise, the game doesn't say you can only wear one mundane disguise at a time, but that's a reasonable assumption.

Likewise, you should only be able to wear one backpack at a time—on your back—and still gain its intended benefit. That's a reasonable, common-sense interpretation of what a normal person would do.

Ryu Kaijitsu wrote:
And if we talk fantasy, let's not even discuss how many backpacks a centaur could wear at once.

If it's not on the creature's back, it's not a backpack. A storage bag that a centaur wears on its flanks is a saddlebag, not a backpack.

Andoran

Or a fanny pack. And no self respecting centaur is running around with a fanny pack.


ciretose wrote:
Or a fanny pack. And no self respecting centaur is running around with a fanny pack.

No, but they may consider a whinnypack! *rimshot*


Xzaral wrote:

I'd rule you can wear one for each back you have.

Hmm, does the ARG let you have more than one back on a race you make?

I've been in games where a player contributed to a beast-with-two-backs, but I can't see recommending this for your game, both because it's arguable whose Strength is considered two points higher for encumbrance issues, as well as the creature possessing questionable mobility.

I would recommend that people here go with one backpack on your back and be happy with it. The item operates by efficiently packing space and carefully distributing weight -- you are literally improving the very maximum you can ever carry by making sure that it is placed in the right spots.

In my opinion, if you have your masterwork backpack loaded with your (new) Strength score's limit in weight and it isn't properly fastened to your back in the appropriate manner, you shouldn't even be able to lift it over your head. You can drag it, you can stagger around with it, but you couldn't carry it uninhibited because you receive the benefit when it's properly worn just like all other items.


This may be the dumbest question that I have seen a Dev deign to answer. I have to go with the man purse response for stacking.


Mister Reynolds wrote:
Likewise, the game doesn't say you can only wear one mundane disguise at a time, but that's a reasonable assumption.

"My rogue is getting the benefits from the hobo disguise and the clown costume, right? No? How sad."


Michael Radagast wrote:
Mister Reynolds wrote:
Likewise, the game doesn't say you can only wear one mundane disguise at a time, but that's a reasonable assumption.
"My rogue is getting the benefits from the hobo disguise and the clown costume, right? No? How sad."

Tell me, exactly what about that clown is funny?


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Tels wrote:
Michael Radagast wrote:
Mister Reynolds wrote:
Likewise, the game doesn't say you can only wear one mundane disguise at a time, but that's a reasonable assumption.
"My rogue is getting the benefits from the hobo disguise and the clown costume, right? No? How sad."
Tell me, exactly what about that clown is funny?

Everything.

I frikken love clowns.
Especially Rock and Roll Clowns.


blackbloodtroll wrote:
Tels wrote:
Michael Radagast wrote:
Mister Reynolds wrote:
Likewise, the game doesn't say you can only wear one mundane disguise at a time, but that's a reasonable assumption.
"My rogue is getting the benefits from the hobo disguise and the clown costume, right? No? How sad."
Tell me, exactly what about that clown is funny?

Everything.

I frikken love clowns.
Especially Rock and Roll Clowns.

This clown is friggin hilarious!


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Tels wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:
Tels wrote:
Michael Radagast wrote:
Mister Reynolds wrote:
Likewise, the game doesn't say you can only wear one mundane disguise at a time, but that's a reasonable assumption.
"My rogue is getting the benefits from the hobo disguise and the clown costume, right? No? How sad."
Tell me, exactly what about that clown is funny?

Everything.

I frikken love clowns.
Especially Rock and Roll Clowns.
This clown is friggin hilarious!

Rockso still wins.


Hey, Weary Willie's a classic! :P

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Masterwork backpack question All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.