Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

OMG!! What have I been missing??!


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion

51 to 100 of 111 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

4 people marked this as a favorite.
baalbamoth wrote:
ok so Alien are we all supposed to just go "ZOMG YOUR SO TOTALLY RIGHT, I'LL NEVER PLAY ANY OTHER RPG AGAIN!!!" because to say anything remotely negitive about a game someone is enthusiastic about is pissing in his breakfast, or marks you as being a "hater"?

Why do you have to say anything at all? Why be negative? He's excited to have found something that reignites his enjoyment of RPGs. How is it a good idea to then immediately start talking about all the problems of that system? What's the purpose in immediately saying, "Well, you may be happy to have found Pathfinder, but let me tell you about all the problems I have with it." Are you actively trying to drive him away?


+1 to Helaman, PFS is another great aspect I am still in the process of discovering and enjoying.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
alientude wrote:
baalbamoth wrote:
ok so Alien are we all supposed to just go "ZOMG YOUR SO TOTALLY RIGHT, I'LL NEVER PLAY ANY OTHER RPG AGAIN!!!" because to say anything remotely negitive about a game someone is enthusiastic about is pissing in his breakfast, or marks you as being a "hater"?
Why do you have to say anything at all? Why be negative? He's excited to have found something that reignites his enjoyment of RPGs. How is it a good idea to then immediately start talking about all the problems of that system? What's the purpose in immediately saying, "Well, you may be happy to have found Pathfinder, but let me tell you about all the problems I have with it." Are you actively trying to drive him away?

We're saving him from future troubles and disappointments.

Is that so wrong?


baalbamoth wrote:

ok so Alien are we all supposed to just go "ZOMG YOUR SO TOTALLY RIGHT, I'LL NEVER PLAY ANY OTHER RPG AGAIN!!!" because to say anything remotely negitive about a game someone is enthusiastic about is pissing in his breakfast, or marks you as being a "hater"?

I'll say this too... I was pretty excited to get into my first PF game, all the players were raving about how great the world and system was, as I was a new player and they were feeding my enthusiasm. By our second game they were admitting the faults, by the third game they were complaining about gross imballences, telling me which rules they wished were different and though they didnt say they would rather be playing another system they were going on and on about what their personal fav past systems were.

Dont get me wrong, although I am discouraged by many of the decisions of the designers, I am having fun playing PF but i'm very glad I can play the game without spending money on it. If I had ran out and spent a lot of money on the books, I would have felt let down by my 3rd game.

I have been through this too brother. Our gaming group split into pathfinders and old guard. :D


alientude wrote:
baalbamoth wrote:
ok so Alien are we all supposed to just go "ZOMG YOUR SO TOTALLY RIGHT, I'LL NEVER PLAY ANY OTHER RPG AGAIN!!!" because to say anything remotely negitive about a game someone is enthusiastic about is pissing in his breakfast, or marks you as being a "hater"?
Why do you have to say anything at all? Why be negative? He's excited to have found something that reignites his enjoyment of RPGs. How is it a good idea to then immediately start talking about all the problems of that system? What's the purpose in immediately saying, "Well, you may be happy to have found Pathfinder, but let me tell you about all the problems I have with it." Are you actively trying to drive him away?

Critique isn't by default negative, when we love something and see it criticised it is our emotional response which leads us to see the critique as negative. They are not a king's man! Or the like. Sam is greatly enthused, if he doesn't believe it to have flaws critique is not going to change that, at least for now.


Icyshadow wrote:
alientude wrote:
baalbamoth wrote:
ok so Alien are we all supposed to just go "ZOMG YOUR SO TOTALLY RIGHT, I'LL NEVER PLAY ANY OTHER RPG AGAIN!!!" because to say anything remotely negitive about a game someone is enthusiastic about is pissing in his breakfast, or marks you as being a "hater"?
Why do you have to say anything at all? Why be negative? He's excited to have found something that reignites his enjoyment of RPGs. How is it a good idea to then immediately start talking about all the problems of that system? What's the purpose in immediately saying, "Well, you may be happy to have found Pathfinder, but let me tell you about all the problems I have with it." Are you actively trying to drive him away?

We're saving him from future troubles and disappointments.

Is that so wrong?

We must show him the true path so that he may find it. *evil cackle*

Grand Lodge

I haven't met a perfect game system from everyones perspective yet... that said I did like the simplicity of Call of Cthulhu.

When all is said and done? The game isn't perfect for you. It may be for him. Everyones milage varies.

An extreme strawman (just couldn't resist and I need to use my flamewar sword of +1 for something) :)

Spoiler:
Next thing is that the naysayers will be counselling against marriage because X% of marriage ends badly or saying eating a shotgun is a good move because life isn't all roses and puppies. Its just saving others from disappointments.


alientude wrote:
baalbamoth wrote:
ok so Alien are we all supposed to just go "ZOMG YOUR SO TOTALLY RIGHT, I'LL NEVER PLAY ANY OTHER RPG AGAIN!!!" because to say anything remotely negitive about a game someone is enthusiastic about is pissing in his breakfast, or marks you as being a "hater"?
Why do you have to say anything at all? Why be negative? He's excited to have found something that reignites his enjoyment of RPGs. How is it a good idea to then immediately start talking about all the problems of that system? What's the purpose in immediately saying, "Well, you may be happy to have found Pathfinder, but let me tell you about all the problems I have with it." Are you actively trying to drive him away?

Why does anyone have to say anything? why does he want to go on forums ans spread his joy? Ans: because when your bored its fun to post on forums.

but... I am glad I had a thin wallet on my first night of gaming or I might have bought all the PF books that evening based on the statements of the players... BEFORE I actually played the game a few sessions and BEFORE they decided to be honest with me about the flaws.

According to the OP he still has not played or ran the game yet he's buying expensive corebooks and downloading PDF's which he does not need to play the game and actually find out if he likes it or not.

If I was him I would hope somebody had the marbles to tell it to me straight and maybe save me from making an expensive mistake, rather than try and hide the truth from me so they dont get flamed by fanbois.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

People that immeditely start saying everything negative about somebody's recent happiness is what I like to call a "Kill-joy." There is commonly something called a grace period. Let a guy enjoy himself. Just because you think there are things wrong, doesn't mean he will see it that way.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion Subscriber

Some folks sure do spend an unhealthly amount of time discussing something they don't like and won't use.


Gorbacz wrote:
Some folks sure do spend an unhealthly amount of time discussing something they don't like and won't use.

They just haven't found the middle ground yet when it comes to the good and the bad.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Xortal- happy guy says "I just bought a lamborgini, WOOT! its awesome!" killjoy says "I drove that lamborgini yesterday, its got no breaks and your headed towards a cliff"

what is the proper grace period to warn somebody about a problem they are not aware of, that could help prevent them from doing something they might greatly regret?

for me, that would have been the very first night I played PF...

Gorbacz- Your right, I'll start another post on advice about fixing the problems rather than b%&!&ing about it, maybe you can convince me I'm wrong about all of this.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I agree with Gorbacz seem to be a lot of people spending a lot of time complaining about PF
Well here's a thought if you don't like it don't play it you know a bit like when something comes on the TV
That you don't like do you just sit there and watch or do you change channel simple really
The op was about someone who had become excited about gaming again and I think that's great now how about those of you
Who think PF is flawed and broken go some where else to whine about it
And leave those that do enjoy pathfinder to encourage another player who just wantsa to enjoy themseleves


but what if theres only one TV channel, and you really want to watch TV?

In my town there is one game store, one night in the week is RPG night, only one group plays on that night, only Pathfinder is played, there are no other kitchen table based RPG gaming groups in the town (or at least none that advertise).

what if you really want to play a fantasy RPG, your stuck with pathfinder being your only choice for a fantasy RPG game, your not satisfied with the system, and when you ask for advice on the forums on how to fix the problems you see, your told its impossible and you get flamed?

your advice?


tony gent wrote:

I agree with Gorbacz seem to be a lot of people spending a lot of time complaining about PF

Well here's a thought if you don't like it don't play it you know a bit like when something comes on the TV
That you don't like do you just sit there and watch or do you change channel simple really
The op was about someone who had become excited about gaming again and I think that's great now how about those of you
Who think PF is flawed and broken go some where else to whine about it
And leave those that do enjoy pathfinder to encourage another player who just wantsa to enjoy themseleves

I'd play 3.5e if the books weren't out of print and not found in any stores here in Finland. I can't find a DM guide or a Player Guide anywhere, so I'm stuck with the second best option. So, your argument is kind of invalid from the get-go. Like Baalbamoth said, I'm stuck with just one channel, if using your example and such.

baalbamoth wrote:
Gorbacz- Your right, I'll start another post on advice about fixing the problems rather than b$@+&ing about it, maybe you can convince me I'm wrong about all of this.

Too bad most people don't consider those things "problems" or come up with some other way to ruin the thread. Sorry, after seeing that happen so many times, I can't help but feel a bit more cynical.


Helaman wrote:

I haven't met a perfect game system from everyones perspective yet... that said I did like the simplicity of Call of Cthulhu.

When all is said and done? The game isn't perfect for you. It may be for him. Everyones milage varies.

An extreme strawman (just couldn't resist and I need to use my flamewar sword of +1 for something) :)
** spoiler omitted **

A veteran dm I know also likes call of cthulhu. d100s have their charm, even AD&D had a bit of that.


Icyshadow wrote:
tony gent wrote:

I agree with Gorbacz seem to be a lot of people spending a lot of time complaining about PF

Well here's a thought if you don't like it don't play it you know a bit like when something comes on the TV
That you don't like do you just sit there and watch or do you change channel simple really
The op was about someone who had become excited about gaming again and I think that's great now how about those of you
Who think PF is flawed and broken go some where else to whine about it
And leave those that do enjoy pathfinder to encourage another player who just wantsa to enjoy themseleves

I'd play 3.5e if the books weren't out of print and not found in any stores here in Finland. I can't find a DM guide or a Player Guide anywhere, so I'm stuck with the second best option. So, your argument is kind of invalid from the get-go. Like Baalbamoth said, I'm stuck with just one channel, if using your example and such.

baalbamoth wrote:
Gorbacz- Your right, I'll start another post on advice about fixing the problems rather than b$@+&ing about it, maybe you can convince me I'm wrong about all of this.
Too bad most people don't consider those things "problems" or come up with some other way to ruin the thread. Sorry, after seeing that happen so many times, I can't help but feel a bit more cynical.

You can find a lot of what you want from 3.5, online. Use your google fu.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion Subscriber
baalbamoth wrote:

but what if theres only one TV channel, and you really want to watch TV?

In my town there is one game store, one night in the week is RPG night, only one group plays on that night, only Pathfinder is played, there are no other kitchen table based RPG gaming groups in the town (or at least none that advertise).

what if you really want to play a fantasy RPG, your stuck with pathfinder being your only choice for a fantasy RPG game, your not satisfied with the system, and when you ask for advice on the forums on how to fix the problems you see, your told its impossible and you get flamed?

your advice?

Gee gotta love the metric ton of logic in the argument here:

"There's one playing field in the town, they play only one night, and only basketball, but basketball sucks so I'll go and complain to basketball fans about how their game blows."

Your problem isn't Pathfinder, your problem is ... errr ... your social situation. You're trying to use a screwdriver to hammer a nail.

Shadow Lodge

Gorbacz wrote:

Gee gotta love the metric ton of logic in the argument here:

"There's one playing field in the town, they play only one night, and only basketball, but basketball sucks so I'll go and complain to basketball fans about how their game blows."

Your problem isn't Pathfinder, your problem is ... errr ... your social situation. You're trying to use a screwdriver to hammer a nail.

Of course, it could just be that although he prefers some other game to Pathfinder, he still prefers Pathfinder to NO game. I can understand that. I personally would love it is Swords & Wizardry has as many players willing to give it a go as Pathfinder. If that were to happen, I doublt I'd play Pathfinder again. But the simple fact of the matter is that, regardless of my personal preference for that game, Pathfinder is far FAR more popular and widespread.

To tell the honest truth, Pathfinder and d20-based games are probably near the very bottom of the list of games that I want to/will play. That doesn't mean that if given the ooportunity, I don't want to play Pathfinder. It just means that if given the opportunity to play Pathfinder or Call of Cthulhu or Swords & Wizardry or Black Crusade or BESM; I probably won't pick Pathfinder.

Andoran

Pathfinder Maps Subscriber
Samurai632 wrote:
Yea buddy!!! Let's get rollin'! Horns to Paizo!!

Its great that you are so enthused about gaming and Pathfinder specifically, in fact I am a little envious of that enthusiasm! :) Unfortunately for me I have too many games I get excited about (M&M, Traveller, FATE, 3.5, 4e, RuneQuest etc) but too little time to actually play them :(

Anyway, Pathfinder is a good solid game with a lot of great support, its a bit on the crunchy side but if that is what you like the great (and yes it does have its flaws, some worse than others, but then what game doesn't?)

Helaman wrote:

For me one of the things I enjoy *but seldom get the chance to take advantage of* is the Pathfinder Society aspect

[...]
Worth checking out if you don't have a regular gaming group.

I second (third?) this, PFS scenarios are very popular and very fun (in fact PFS is the only reason I play PF) - they are nice bite sized games that you can dip in and out of either at a convention or as a home game. Even if you can't be bothered with the whole organised play thing, its worth buying a few of the scenarios as handy filler for a home campaign.

I hope playing the game brings you as much joy as buying and reading the books do! :)


You want my advice well I assume that this shop dosen't just sell pathfinder
So if they sell other stuff someone must be buying it as no shop can survive on one group of gamers
Do they have a notice board in the shop if not ask would they mind if you put up a notice looking for other gamers
Go online there plenty of forums with a looking for a game/players section
See if there are any in your town if you want something bad enough MAKE IT HAPPEN sounds to me like you just go to this shop
Because it easy, well put yourself out a bit and see what happens
A friend and I did that a good meny years ago and our local shop went from 2 games a week to 3 or 4 games a night monday to friday as it turned out there where a lot of gamers in and around our town
So if you really want to play another game make it happen it will be worth the effort
And to icysahadow your best bet for 3.5 stuff is ebay. There alwasy seems to be plenty of stuff when ever I look


Sorry about calling you a "hater", I was just being succinct.

If you know my posting history, it shows that I am neither a sniveling fanboy, nor a chicken-little amateur rules critic. But there's a time and a place for criticism, and raining on this OP's parade wasn't it. You were wise to start another thread for critique, I'll dig it up and meet you there.

"Haters gonna hate" has a well-known corollary: "Players gonna play." One has to respect that it is a game, and if someone is having fun then it is working to spec. Even if you're right about a system's failings, if you ruin the fun for someone else, you're not playing it right.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
baalbamoth wrote:

Xortal- happy guy says "I just bought a lamborgini, WOOT! its awesome!" killjoy says "I drove that lamborgini yesterday, its got no breaks and your headed towards a cliff"

what is the proper grace period to warn somebody about a problem they are not aware of, that could help prevent them from doing something they might greatly regret?

for me, that would have been the very first night I played PF...

Gorbacz- Your right, I'll start another post on advice about fixing the problems rather than b+@!#ing about it, maybe you can convince me I'm wrong about all of this.

I'd say it's more like he bought a Lamborghini and is super excited and you're coming in and pointing out it gets horrible gas mileage and has no cargo space.

You and he might be looking for different things out of the system. Don't assume that everyone has he same preferences that you do.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
baalbamoth wrote:

Xortal- happy guy says "I just bought a lamborgini, WOOT! its awesome!" killjoy says "I drove that lamborgini yesterday, its got no breaks and your headed towards a cliff"

what is the proper grace period to warn somebody about a problem they are not aware of, that could help prevent them from doing something they might greatly regret?

for me, that would have been the very first night I played PF...

Gorbacz- Your right, I'll start another post on advice about fixing the problems rather than b#~@@ing about it, maybe you can convince me I'm wrong about all of this.

Problem is, he has played 3.5e, therefore he is aware of your supposed issues. I say supposed because all game systems have their supporters & naysayers. I find the majority of the naysayers for d20 games are the same guys who spend way too much time arguing the math of the game. Yeah balance is nice, but fun is where it is at. If the game is fun to somebody, you aren't going to convince them to stop because you don't like it. There happens to be quite a lot of fans of Pathfinder that disagree with you about how fun this game is.

I really have to wonder, why in the world do you hang around the Pathfinder boards? If you dislike the game so much, your time would be better served by going to the forums of a game you do like.


Game could be more fun.


Just for clarification: The game has issues, big ones, but it's still fun.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Icyshadow wrote:
alientude wrote:
baalbamoth wrote:
ok so Alien are we all supposed to just go "ZOMG YOUR SO TOTALLY RIGHT, I'LL NEVER PLAY ANY OTHER RPG AGAIN!!!" because to say anything remotely negitive about a game someone is enthusiastic about is pissing in his breakfast, or marks you as being a "hater"?
Why do you have to say anything at all? Why be negative? He's excited to have found something that reignites his enjoyment of RPGs. How is it a good idea to then immediately start talking about all the problems of that system? What's the purpose in immediately saying, "Well, you may be happy to have found Pathfinder, but let me tell you about all the problems I have with it." Are you actively trying to drive him away?

We're saving him from future troubles and disappointments.

Is that so wrong?

Life sucks. It always ends in death.

Pathfinder rocks. That's all there is to it.

Regards,
Ruemere


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Quote:
Pathfinder rocks. That's all there is to it.

Meh, it's okay I guess, but only because it's based on D&D 3.5.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
ImperatorK wrote:
Quote:
Pathfinder rocks. That's all there is to it.
Meh, it's okay I guess, but only because it's based on D&D 3.5.

Oh, I don't know about that. Perhaps you are missing something?


heh

http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz62br?Very-Happy-First-Impression


Evil Lincoln wrote:
ImperatorK wrote:
Quote:
Pathfinder rocks. That's all there is to it.
Meh, it's okay I guess, but only because it's based on D&D 3.5.
Oh, I don't know about that. Perhaps you are missing something?

I don't understand. I know there are adventure path. So?

Andoran

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps Subscriber
ImperatorK wrote:
I don't understand. I know there are adventure path. So?

I guess some people feel that the quality of the Golarion setting and the Adventure Paths makes the Pathfinder RPG what is? I have seen it before in RPG.net threads where someone asks to sell them on the Pathfinder RPG, some people talk up the setting rather than actually talk up the RPG.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Samurai632 wrote:

I'm one of those kind of guys who only bought TSR/WoTC only products. 3.5 was starting to get to me, and I just refuse to even think about 4th. I gamer I know at work, suggested Pathfinder, and so I read the reviews on Amazon. Hmmm? Pretty impressive. Today, I went to the mall and bought the Core Rule Book. OMG!!!!! This is what 3rd edition should have been all along. I called my best gaming buddy, (strick TSR/WoTC guy like me,) and we just spent about an hour and a half on the phone talking about all the upgrades and improvements to the base classes. He's downloading the PDF by the way tonight. I'm 35, and I'm finally excited about tabletop gaming again!!! Even the Pathfinder Battles minis look pretty good. Yea buddy!!! Let's get rollin'! Horns to Paizo!!

\m/

Exactly how I felt when I looked at it for the first time, and it's still just as awesome! This is a crazy good RPG, backed by a crazy good community. You're gonna love it :]

(Edit: PS: sorry if it looks like you stirred up a hornets nest. The boards are generally much nicer than this. Keep posting around!)


DigitalMage wrote:
ImperatorK wrote:
I don't understand. I know there are adventure path. So?
I guess some people feel that the quality of the Golarion setting and the Adventure Paths makes the Pathfinder RPG what is? I have seen it before in RPG.net threads where someone asks to sell them on the Pathfinder RPG, some people talk up the setting rather than actually talk up the RPG.

Didn't Paizo make Pathfinder because 3.5 got discontinued, and they wanted to make sure they had a roleplaying system that could support their excellent adventure series?

I believe Evil Lincoln's point is that adventures are the final part of the entire thing. So that the game system together with the adventurers make Pathfinder great. In the sense that the game system works in those adventures?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DigitalMage wrote:
ImperatorK wrote:
I don't understand. I know there are adventure path. So?
I guess some people feel that the quality of the Golarion setting and the Adventure Paths makes the Pathfinder RPG what is? I have seen it before in RPG.net threads where someone asks to sell them on the Pathfinder RPG, some people talk up the setting rather than actually talk up the RPG.

Exactly that. In fact, I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

In many ways, the APs as complete campaigns lend a missing balance component to the rules. And the intent of the rules is clarified by the campaign and the contexts that it generates.

This is not whimsy. Without this understanding of the APs, I would probably be in the camp that complains about all the balance problems etc. But if you see the rules in practice, and in context, in the APs, the game makes a lot more sense.

Cheliax

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Evil Lincoln wrote:
DigitalMage wrote:
ImperatorK wrote:
I don't understand. I know there are adventure path. So?
I guess some people feel that the quality of the Golarion setting and the Adventure Paths makes the Pathfinder RPG what is? I have seen it before in RPG.net threads where someone asks to sell them on the Pathfinder RPG, some people talk up the setting rather than actually talk up the RPG.

Exactly that. In fact, I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

In many ways, the APs as complete campaigns lend a missing balance component to the rules. And the intent of the rules is clarified by the campaign and the contexts that it generates.

This is not whimsy. Without this understanding of the APs, I would probably be in the camp that complains about all the balance problems etc. But if you see the rules in practice, and in context, in the APs, the game makes a lot more sense.

+1 to that man, Pathfinder wouldn't be half as awesome for our group without the AP line. I know that sounds kind of lame if you prefer making your own campaigns, but for someone without the time to make his own games anymore the APs are generally really high quality & a LOT of fun.

I'm pretty sure Paizo created the RPG in order to give continuing to support to their AP line after Wizards ditched them too... So Pathfinder is based on 3.5, but is also based around the AP line.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
xn0o0cl3 wrote:
+1 to that man, Pathfinder wouldn't be half as awesome for our group without the AP line. I know that sounds kind of lame if you prefer making your own campaigns, but for someone without the time to make his own games anymore the APs are generally really high quality & a LOT of fun.

Even if you run homebrews, the APs are incredibly useful as guidelines. Having run two or three AP campaigns now, I can think of many ways in which I will change how I run my next homebrew.

xn0o0cl3 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Paizo created the RPG in order to give continuing to support to their AP line after Wizards ditched them too... So Pathfinder is based on 3.5, but is also based around the AP line.

They said as much (I think it was Erik Mona) on the blog when PFRPG was born.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Evil Lincoln wrote:
DigitalMage wrote:
ImperatorK wrote:
I don't understand. I know there are adventure path. So?
I guess some people feel that the quality of the Golarion setting and the Adventure Paths makes the Pathfinder RPG what is? I have seen it before in RPG.net threads where someone asks to sell them on the Pathfinder RPG, some people talk up the setting rather than actually talk up the RPG.

Exactly that. In fact, I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

In many ways, the APs as complete campaigns lend a missing balance component to the rules. And the intent of the rules is clarified by the campaign and the contexts that it generates.

This is not whimsy. Without this understanding of the APs, I would probably be in the camp that complains about all the balance problems etc. But if you see the rules in practice, and in context, in the APs, the game makes a lot more sense.

That's why it's "okay" and not "horrible". PF is my favorite system, I play only it, but I wouldn't say it "rocks".


ImperatorK wrote:
That's why it's "okay" and not "horrible". PF is my favorite system, I play only it, but I wouldn't say it "rocks".

It's great for super powers and party roles with a shared "spotlight". It's pretty awful at verisimilitude and flexibility in character concepts*. I'd say it "rocks" at its strengths, but other games rock too.

* If "deckbuilding" characters are what you consider "flexible", then Pathfinder is the game for you. To me, flexibility in concepts means that you can make characters do things without necessarily needing a feat, etc.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Icyshadow wrote:
I'd play 3.5e if the books weren't out of print and not found in any stores here in Finland. I can't find a DM guide or a Player Guide anywhere, so I'm stuck with the second best option. So, your argument is kind of invalid from the get-go. Like Baalbamoth said, I'm stuck with just one channel, if using your example and such.

Ahem.


Evil Lincoln wrote:
ImperatorK wrote:
That's why it's "okay" and not "horrible". PF is my favorite system, I play only it, but I wouldn't say it "rocks".

It's great for super powers and party roles with a shared "spotlight". It's pretty awful at verisimilitude and flexibility in character concepts*. I'd say it "rocks" at its strengths, but other games rock too.

* If "deckbuilding" characters are what you consider "flexible", then Pathfinder is the game for you. To me, flexibility in concepts means that you can make characters do things without necessarily needing a feat, etc.

And I'd say it's okay, but it doesn't "rock" for me.

Andoran

Pathfinder Maps Subscriber
xn0o0cl3 wrote:
Pathfinder wouldn't be half as awesome for our group without the AP line. I know that sounds kind of lame if you prefer making your own campaigns, but for someone without the time to make his own games anymore the APs are generally really high quality & a LOT of fun.

Not lame at all, though it probably explains why Pathfinder RPG doesn't grab me as much - I prefer much shorter, tightly focused campaigns than an AP provides so that I can play a greater variety of RPGs; I started playing in RotR and only got through two books before leaving the group (as it was being rotated with other games) and I know a couple of others who left the group before the finished the AP as well.

Also, unfortunately as I am a slow reader, an AP doesn't help me run a game when I don't have much time. In the time I could read an AP I could write up the notes I needed to run a decent campaign that was tailored to the PCs specifically.

So yeah, when I read "sell me on Pathfinder RPG" threads I tend to just skim over the posts that talk about the setting and APs.

Paizo Employee Digital Products Assistant

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Removed a post and the replies to it. Don't instigate and bash other posters, please.

Andoran

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Wait, did I get bashed and miss it? :(

Shadow Lodge

Doubtful, everyone loves TMZ's :)

It's like a law or something. . .

51 to 100 of 111 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / OMG!! What have I been missing??! All Messageboards

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.