Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Petition: I nominate Ashiel to work for Paizo as Rules Consultant


Off-Topic Discussions

1 to 50 of 951 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

This poster has the best mind for mechanics I have seen. Let's get him/her? into some official position! Something like Monte Cook has done for Pathfinder and DnDNext.

Who agrees?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't think there is anyone on the boards that is that much better once you get to the top rules people than the other posters. She is one of the better debaters though.


Good point, it levels out when you get closer to the top. My system mastery isn't good enough yet to say for sure what it's like up there on top ;)

But what about thinking outside the box? And like you said, debate skills.

Paizo Employee Webstore Gninja Minion

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Not sure what a "Conultant" is...

Fixed thread title.

Ah! Consultant! Got it. :D


Let me clarify: I think that if you could the top 5 to maybe 10 poster they would all do well. :)


Grimmy wrote:

Good point, it levels out when you get closer to the top. My system mastery isn't good enough yet to say for sure what it's like up there on top ;)

But what about thinking outside the box? And like you said, debate skills.

That is important also, but that would be better for James's side of the house. Some people do well in both though.

edit:Do you mean outside of the box thinking for mechanics or fluff material?


Liz a Conultant is a Conan-Ultimate-Mutant.

j/k

I hate typing on iPad.

Wraith, I meant crunch and fluff both.

Example... Ashiel showed an example of a supposedly broken trick to gain tons of inherent ability score bonuses from genies with wishes, and how most GM would freak out trying to figure out how to stop it from breaking the game. Ashiel's solution... Let them have the crazy stats! Outside the box.


Wraith my real intention for this thread was just to make an Ashiel appreciation thread, not to say Ashiel is the only poster on the boards who could be a good "conultant".

Certainly not to suggest that I have any say in who Paizo should hire.

Just appreciation for a poster who's posts have helped me a lot as a GM and with player strategy.

(That being the case maybe this is the wrong sub-forum, I wasn't sure.)


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I appreciate Ashiel as a poster, but I do not believe she would make a good "official" designer, as I don't share her style of play at all.

There's a certain genius there, but I don't consider it a good fit. I would take a long hard look (in a positive light) at any 3rd party product she was involved in.

CLARIFICATION: Something in the Trailblazer vein, which I have previously mined for house rules, is something Paizo wouldn't or couldn't do, but I would think Ashiel might shine there.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I am so confused right now.


I would buy on site.
Horses for courses I guess.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Grimmy wrote:

Liz a Conultant is a Conan-Ultimate-Mutant.

j/k

I hate typing on iPad.

Wraith, I meant crunch and fluff both.

Example... Ashiel showed an example of a supposedly broken trick to gain tons of inherent ability score bonuses from genies with wishes, and how most GM would freak out trying to figure out how to stop it from breaking the game. Ashiel's solution... Let them have the crazy stats! Outside the box.

That trick is well known, as are many other loop holes. Nothing is free, and a good GM makes a player realise that. :)


Grimmy wrote:

Wraith my real intention for this thread was just to make an Ashiel appreciation thread, not to say Ashiel is the only poster on the boards who could be a good "conultant".

Certainly not to suggest that I have any say in who Paizo should hire.

Just appreciation for a poster who's posts have helped me a lot as a GM and with player strategy.

(That being the case maybe this is the wrong sub-forum, I wasn't sure.)

LOL @ conultant.

OK, point taken. It did get me thinking about who I would nominate though so good has come from it. I won't post that here though. :)


What I learned from it was that it was ok to let it go if my players were having fun. I didn't have to thwart them. Ashiel ran the numbers and showed it wouldn't be that hard to compensate for and keep things challenging.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

off-topic: not Ashiel related

I think a good dev has to be as play-style neutral as possible. You can't be too loose with the rules, nor so worried that the players will break the game, because they will if they really try. The best you can do is make sure they are not easily broken. :)


On-topic:
I do want to play in one of her games though.


I humbly and honorbly Nominate Suupreme Overlord Wraithstrike as head of all projects concering the universe and all things contained within it past, present, and future.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Ashiel why are you not in your own thread?

Oh, she is probably writing a thesis in response to what I wrote in another thread. :)

PS:If you are not a "she" it is Grimmy's fault. He is supposed to know this stuff.


WHAAAT!!!
I said "he/she?" ONCE, and have intentionally avoided pronouns since, saying "Ashiel" instead (which gets tedious)!!!
:p

Silver Crusade

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

I nominate shallowsoul for Lead Designer.

Shadow Lodge

Could be worse.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

TOZ wrote:
Could be worse.

You rang?

wraithstrike wrote:

off-topic: not Ashiel related

I think a good dev has to be as play-style neutral as possible. You can't be too loose with the rules, nor so worried that the players will break the game, because they will if they really try. The best you can do is make sure they are not easily broken. :)

Vastly more important than rules-making is rules-writing. It doesn't matter if you make the most elegant, comprehensive, simple, straightforward ruleset ever if you can't clearly communicate how that system works and why to the reader. There are no idea-men in RPG writing: either you can write your ideas in a lucid and easily-understood style, or you are useless. If the reader understands both how and why a system works the way it does, then it's much easier to understand why they would want to play that way or how they could adapt those rules to their personal tastes.

Andoran

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
A Man In Black wrote:
TOZ wrote:
Could be worse.
You rang?

Not at ALL who I was thinking of...


There was a time when RD would be getting picked on. I guess the mantle has been passed.


RD would get Head Betatester and Finder Of Obscure Holes cap.


I think the team of Ashiel/Wraithstrike would make for an interesting ruleset.

Also can I get in on the Ashiel game? They sound like fun.


The worship of Ashiel is getting a bit out of hand, and painful to read.

Shadow Lodge

...then why are you participating in this thread?


She is starting to approach divine status. :)


A group must be formed to stop this event. Avengers assemble!


3.5 Loyalist wrote:
The worship of Ashiel is getting a bit out of hand, and painful to read.

Iol


1 person marked this as a favorite.
wraithstrike wrote:
I don't think there is anyone on the boards that is that much better once you get to the top rules people than the other posters. She is one of the better debaters though.

Consistent great length isn't the same as being great at debate.

I've also noticed she tried to use non-pathfinder material to support an argument on what pathfinder's dragon stats should consistently be. Dragons should wear armour she said, because implanting gems and coin into scales was mentioned in The Hobbit. The stats (bestiary and adventure paths) never support her claim. A rules consultant you say?

So yeah, I'm not on this bandwagon. I've also been lurking enough to notice that the high ups in paizo don't always show fine debating skills either. They aren't divine people.

As Dostoevsky said in The Brothers Karamazov

"So long as man remains free he strives for nothing so incessantly and so painfully as to find some one to worship."


Any forum commenter who took a paid position at Paizo would no longer be able to debate with commenters. Not in any sort of potentially inflammatory way. Therefore, if you aren't a fan of Ashiel's snarkier comments, you should actually support this idea. Capiche? You get Ashiel's monk suggestions and heavily armed dragons and cohorts and other neat ideas, minus any personal stuff that anyone might find objectionable (dismissive comments about some rule or poster), as it would then be something that reflected upon an employee's performance. However, if you aren't a fan of Ashiel's rule interpretations and gameplay, then ok. I find Ashiel's points to be quite interesting, personally, not that I agree with all of them.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It's true, we have to remember not to put anyone on a pedestal, good quote.
But don't you think there's a difference between appreciation and worship?

Ashiel is cool, I blew my players mind with the kobolds in the mine with the barrel of oil as cover past the pit trap trick, made them scared of kobolds, then showed them Ashiel's guide to adventuring so they could equip themselves to survive the harder encounters I had learned to design for cheap. Everyone wins. Fun at the table was had. I just wanted to say thanks.


Jacobs and Reynolds have Axolotl.

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST.

Ha ha, just kidding.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

While I appreciate Ashiel for her dedicated writing on this forum and because her rules knowledge is really good, she is a tad too confrontational and obsessive-compulsive for my taste to get the nod ( for this fictional assignment ^^ ) over some of the more cool-headed people on this forum, like Ice Titan, Mikaze, Wraithstrike, Abraham Spalding or Evil Lincoln.

That being said, I don't think Paizo takes player nominations to any official post. :p


They could make a "Loved by Many" post.


Yep. I agree. Ashiel should most certainly work for paizo. Rules consultant, game designer etc. She would completely fit in. No argument from me there. To magnuskn, Abraham Spalding and Evil Lincoln, cool-headed?


3.5 Loyalist wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
I don't think there is anyone on the boards that is that much better once you get to the top rules people than the other posters. She is one of the better debaters though.

Consistent great length isn't the same as being great at debate.

I've also noticed she tried to use non-pathfinder material to support an argument on what pathfinder's dragon stats should consistently be. Dragons should wear armour she said, because implanting gems and coin into scales was mentioned in The Hobbit. The stats (bestiary and adventure paths) never support her claim. A rules consultant you say?

So yeah, I'm not on this bandwagon. I've also been lurking enough to notice that the high ups in paizo don't always show fine debating skills either. They aren't divine people.

As Dostoevsky said in The Brothers Karamazov

"So long as man remains free he strives for nothing so incessantly and so painfully as to find some one to worship."

Actually she does make good points at times. I don't think she was using the hobbit as a rules source 3.5. I think she was reacting to your comment of, and I am paraphrasing "It is not heard of to see dragons wearing armor or with gems."

If you have a quote that I missed I would like to see it. It is just that when I disagree with her she generally uses logic and rules support.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Lincoln is pretty relaxed. Evil and relaxed.


Thanks Magnuskn.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Actually I think half the time we get extra butt-hurt when someone is being SO cool-headed in the face of nerd-rage.


Grimmy if you want to annoy a poster use their own logic against them. :)

It works a lot.


Well hopefully I will never find myself actively trying to annoy a poster but I think I know what you mean.

On the other hand if there is a fallacy in my own logic I would rather have it pointed out. It might be easier to see from the outside, and holding me back.
Especially emotions can be a cloud that stops us from thinking clearly about something. You might even see this happen to people who just want the monk to be something it isn't for example.
I personally think a sword and board paladin turtled-up in full plate is very iconic and flavorful, but I'll never get mad at someone who explains to me that there are more optimal choices mechanically, like archery or two-hand weapon. And I'll never refuse to see that they are technically correct.

Snark on the other hand is bad I guess but I'm just not very sensitive about it.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Oh, agreeing with people is soooooo boring.


You're a bag.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

I'm the bag.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Filthy Baggins...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
magnuskn wrote:

While I appreciate Ashiel for her dedicated writing on this forum and because her rules knowledge is really good, she is a tad too confrontational and obsessive-compulsive for my taste to get the nod ( for this fictional assignment ^^ ) over some of the more cool-headed people on this forum, like Ice Titan, Mikaze, Wraithstrike, Abraham Spalding or Evil Lincoln.

That being said, I don't think Paizo takes player nominations to any official post. :p

I don't really like him as a poster, different styles I guess but I think he would be a terrible fit for the paizo team, I think Ashiel himself would likely agree to that actually.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The title should have just been "Ashiel appreciation thread".
People are acting like there's a real job opening.

1 to 50 of 951 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Off-Topic Discussions / Petition: I nominate Ashiel to work for Paizo as Rules Consultant All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.