Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Cost of a boulder


Pathfinder Society® General Discussion

** RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

So my monk has accumulated quite a bit of prestige (31), and I'm looking for something to spend it on. None of the mechanical benefits of the vanities look that appealing, but I was considering hiring a porter for 5 PP, and having him just lug around a 100 pound boulder. I'd consider him my monastic trainee, and perhaps throw out bits of wisdom to him along the way. Also, who knows when you'll need a giant rock?

The only problem is, I don't know how much that boulder should cost. Any ideas?

Silver Crusade ****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Free? I wander the local construction site till I find a 100 lbs rock...

Cheliax ****

well...
I'll sell you a slightly used boulder for a the special price of 20 gp. Picked it up in Qadira with a shrink spell just last week...

Grand Lodge ** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Given that a staff and sling are free, I can't imagine a random boulder being more expensive.

Andoran *****

It depends.

If you just want a 100 lb rock, then free.

If you want a 100 lb rock that will give you a +2 to a skill (that this rock could be useful in, somehow, making it a masterwork tool), then 50gp.

Grand Lodge ****

2 people marked this as a favorite.

It should cost the 3.5 seconds I spent reading your question.

Shadow Lodge ***

Just define it as a gargantuan sling stone.

Grand Lodge ** RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

BigNorseWolf wrote:
Just define it as a gargantuan sling stone.

No, if he did that, he'd have to pay for it.

Qadira ****

Jiggy wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Just define it as a gargantuan sling stone.
No, if he did that, he'd have to pay for it.

sling stones don't cost anything... bullets on the other hand, made of lead, do cost a small amount.

Shadow Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Washington—Eastern Washington aka WalterGM

Regardless of how it plays out -- I love the concept.
+1 for flavor!

Taldor *** Venture-Lieutenant, North Carolina—Asheville aka zylphryx

This is one of those things that just makes me go "why in the hell didn't I think of that?".

Definite +1. :)

Osirion

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Let's assume a 100lbs chunk of basalt for simple availability. That's 3.0g/cm3 averaged for basalt, which means we're looking at 45,359 g per 100lbs.

Since v=m/d and the math for that is relativey straightforward, you're looking at a .53~ cubic foot chunk of basalt. Are you telling me tracking down one of those?

Stonecunning to the rescue!

Silver Crusade ****

Stonecunning wrote:

Let's assume a 100lbs chunk of basalt for simple availability. That's 3.0g/cm3 averaged for basalt, which means we're looking at 45,359 g per 100lbs.

Since v=m/d and the math for that is relativey straightforward, you're looking at a .53~ cubic foot chunk of basalt. Are you telling me tracking down one of those?

Stonecunning to the rescue!

What? (confused)

Osirion

People constantly underestimate rock densities. If I take a common example (basalt) which shouldn't be hard to find, then you're looking for a fairly small rock, not some massive stone monolith.

If you do the same thing with pummice (0.25g/cm3) then yes, you're looking for a big boulder you might not easily find.

The funniest thing is when you apply this math to Stone Plate, which is explicitly made out of basalt, and realize that the entire suit of armor is about as thick as a piece of paper all around.

Silver Crusade ****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

What does this have to do with the price of fish in Norway?

Andoran *****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

So, if she weighs the same as a duck...

Andoran ***

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Seth Gipson wrote:

It depends.

If you just want a 100 lb rock, then free.

If you want a 100 lb rock that will give you a +2 to a skill (that this rock could be useful in, somehow, making it a masterwork tool), then 50gp.

lol, Intimidate, Disable Device, Perform, Profession,

**

Which ways more? a 100 lbs. of boulder or a hundred pound porter? :)

Love the random bits of wisdom :)

Osirion ***

Stonecunning wrote:

People constantly underestimate rock densities. If I take a common example (basalt) which shouldn't be hard to find, then you're looking for a fairly small rock, not some massive stone monolith.

If you do the same thing with pummice (0.25g/cm3) then yes, you're looking for a big boulder you might not easily find.

The funniest thing is when you apply this math to Stone Plate, which is explicitly made out of basalt, and realize that the entire suit of armor is about as thick as a piece of paper all around.

But, you're assuming that Golarion logic follow Earth logic. And considering that we're dealing with magic, dragons, and mystical environments, I doubt that it does.

+1 for teaching me something new, -1 for getting science in my magic. =P

Osirion

Daniel Luckett wrote:
What does this have to do with the price of fish in Norway?

If you're looking for a fine block of marble the size of a small building, you may need to purchase it from a quarry. Considering the size of a 100lb common rock, I think it's fair to assume that walking down any path you're going to be able to find a few thousand of them.

Mourne wrote:

But, you're assuming that Golarion logic follow Earth logic. And considering that we're dealing with magic, dragons, and mystical environments, I doubt that it does.

+1 for teaching me something new, -1 for getting science in my magic. =P

What if my science is just sufficiently advanced? :P

**

Curaigh wrote:

Which ways more? a 100 lbs. of boulder or a hundred pound porter? :)

Love the random bits of wisdom :)

...errr... "weighs" *blush*

Andoran ***** Venture-Captain, Minnesota—St. Paul

Stonecunning wrote:
Daniel Luckett wrote:
What does this have to do with the price of fish in Norway?

If you're looking for a fine block of marble the size of a small building, you may need to purchase it from a quarry. Considering the size of a 100lb common rock, I think it's fair to assume that walking down any path you're going to be able to find a few thousand of them.

Mourne wrote:

But, you're assuming that Golarion logic follow Earth logic. And considering that we're dealing with magic, dragons, and mystical environments, I doubt that it does.

+1 for teaching me something new, -1 for getting science in my magic. =P

What if my science is just sufficiently advanced? :P

I have a 100 lb block of basalt around my firepit.

Its approximately 8 to 10" on a side (so not even a cubic foot), and I'd love to see anyone lug that thing around for fun!

Osirion

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I've gone through airport security with a wheelie bag full of basalt and andesite. Boy do they hate that at the X-ray when it shows up opaque and they insist on lifting it up themselves to inspect it.

Cheliax **

Curaigh wrote:
Curaigh wrote:

Which ways more? a 100 lbs. of boulder or a hundred pound porter? :)

Love the random bits of wisdom :)

...errr... "weighs" *blush*

Never apologize for this.

***** Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka CRobledo

Grammar Nazi wrote:
Curaigh wrote:
...errr... "weighs" *blush*
Never apologize for this.

Aha, but wouldn't this technically require a spelling nazi, and not a grammar nazi?


Daniel Luckett wrote:
What does this have to do with the price of fish in Norway?

He is saying that 100 lbs is far for a "Boulder" in fact is more like "Large Rock" and as such can be found almost everywhere.

** RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Maybe I'll make it a 300 pound boulder to put him at max encumbrance. And for fun, I'll say he has to carry it on top of his head. Of course, the entire point of the exercise is for him to realize that carrying around a giant rock is completely pointless. But with that 18 STR he needs to carry it around, that doesn't leave a lot of points to put into WIS or INT...

"Master, why do I have to carry this rock around everywhere?"

"Only when you understand your physical burden, can you understand your spiritual burden."

"And why am I wearing the watermelons on my feet?"

"...I don't remember telling you to do that."

Shadow Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Washington—Eastern Washington aka WalterGM

RainyDayNinja wrote:

Maybe I'll make it a 300 pound boulder to put him at max encumbrance. And for fun, I'll say he has to carry it on top of his head. Of course, the entire point of the exercise is for him to realize that carrying around a giant rock is completely pointless. But with that 18 STR he needs to carry it around, that doesn't leave a lot of points to put into WIS or INT...

"Master, why do I have to carry this rock around everywhere?"

"Only when you understand your physical burden, can you understand your spiritual burden."

"And why am I wearing the watermelons on my feet?"

"...I don't remember telling you to do that."

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack."

Osirion

One day I'm going to make a Monk named The Sphinx with a wisdom of 8 and just not tell anyone.

**

CRobledo wrote:
Grammar Nazi wrote:
Curaigh wrote:
...errr... "weighs" *blush*
Never apologize for this.
Aha, but wouldn't this technically require a spelling nazi, and not a grammar nazi?

Using a noun as a verb is grammarian territory. One of the reasons spelling bee contestants are allowed to hear a homonym used in a sentence :)

watermelons Hah!

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Cost of a boulder All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.