Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Touch Spells and Movement Questions


Rules Questions


Hello all,

If I cast a touch spell (for sake of argument a beneficial spell like a Communal-type) can I then move to the targets? I know this sounds simple on the surface but hear me out.
Attack spells are obvious: You cast and then move to make the attack vs. one target. Beneficial spells aloow for multiple targets in many cases.

Are you limited to as many people are around you when you cast it? Or can you cast it and make your nomal move touching people as you go by?

If you are limited to those immediately around you it seems that it limits the power of higher level spell casters that get one creature per level on many spells (as you can really only get about 9 including yourself unless you have flyers above you.) This assumes you are using miniatures and a square grid mat.

Page 216 of the PHB states:
Touch
You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell.

Thoughts?
R


It depends on the spell.

Magic Chapter, Range - Touch: "Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch up to 6 willing targets as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell. If the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, touching 6 creatures is a full-round action."

Magic Chapter, Touch Spells and Holding the Charge: "Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can't hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell."

Combat, Touch Spells in Combat: "In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) as a free action.... You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll."

Combat, Holding the Charge: "If you don't discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the charge indefinitely." (...) "You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action."

So if the spell allows you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell then you are limited to six targets, and restricted to the round in which you cast the spell.

If the spell isn't restricted this way, then you can continue touching targets, on the turn, and after that turn by holding the charge, until the spell is discharged.


Grick wrote:

It depends on the spell.

Magic Chapter, Range - Touch: "Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch up to 6 willing targets as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell. If the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, touching 6 creatures is a full-round action."

Magic Chapter, Touch Spells and Holding the Charge: "Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can't hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell."

Combat, Touch Spells in Combat: "In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) as a free action.... You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll."

Combat, Holding the Charge: "If you don't discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the charge indefinitely." (...) "You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action."

So if the spell allows you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell then you are limited to six targets, and restricted to the round in which you cast the spell.

If the spell isn't restricted this way, then you can continue touching targets, on the turn, and after that turn by holding the charge, until the spell is discharged.

Grick,

I am having trouble wrapping my head around this. Can you give me an example of a spell you can touch multiple targets over rounds with?

Thanks,
R


Randy Lockard wrote:
I am having trouble wrapping my head around this.

You're not the only one. It's really not very clear.

Randy Lockard wrote:
Can you give me an example of a spell you can touch multiple targets over rounds with?

I would say Chill Touch, but there's plenty of folks who run that spell differently. (can of worms)

I think the intent is for things like a teleport spell. You touch the people you bring with you, but once the spell activates, you're not touching more of them the next round (Because the spell already happened).

For example, I don't see any reason why Water Walk couldn't be spread out over a couple rounds. Cast the spell, say you get four touches (because you're CL 4) but your friends are spread out. So touch one, hold the charge (because the spell isn't discharged yet), next round touch again, etc. Once it's discharged (or you cast another spell) then it's over. Since Water Walk doesn't specify the touches as part of casting, I think this is legal.


Grick wrote:
Randy Lockard wrote:
I am having trouble wrapping my head around this.

You're not the only one. It's really not very clear.

Randy Lockard wrote:
Can you give me an example of a spell you can touch multiple targets over rounds with?

I would say Chill Touch, but there's plenty of folks who run that spell differently. (can of worms)

I think the intent is for things like a teleport spell. You touch the people you bring with you, but once the spell activates, you're not touching more of them the next round (Because the spell already happened).

For example, I don't see any reason why Water Walk couldn't be spread out over a couple rounds. Cast the spell, say you get four touches (because you're CL 4) but your friends are spread out. So touch one, hold the charge (because the spell isn't discharged yet), next round touch again, etc. Once it's discharged (or you cast another spell) then it's over. Since Water Walk doesn't specify the touches as part of casting, I think this is legal.

Grick,

I can see the can of worms opened with Chill Touch and multiple attacks.
I was hard pressed to find a single spell that can affect multiple targets that can be held under the RAW. My question mostly pertains to communals like Water Breathing, Airwalk and the like. These say you can affect up to one target per level, but the rules seem to destroy the ability to affect more than 6 people per casting. I would tend to agree with your idea of holding the spell round-to-round until total number of targets has been exhausted or you cast another spell.

Thanks for the advice. I also have a question unanswered regarding Ice Body and Iron Body if you have a few minutes.

Thanks!
R

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Touch Spells and Movement Questions All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.