Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

So a deranged pure aasimar / tieling fluff question.....


Advice


what would the offspring be if a tiefling and an aasimar be?? straight human??? would the opposing blood lines cancel the other out??


Planetouched are mutant humans rather than proper races, so the child would be human, with the potential to be a Tiefling or Aasimar like any human with the appropriate ancestors.

If it didn't create a bigger mess in one of the APs, I'd just say Planetouched's mutations make them sterile and avoid the whole mess


I'd say either Tiefling or Aasimar and Eldritch Heritage for the other half.


A human that grows up into a Crossblooded(Abyssal/Celestial) Sorcerer.

Andoran

An abomination!

Er I mean... probably human or maybe either of the parents races. Or maybe the natures of such creatures would make interbreeding imposable. Its really up to how a DM wants to handle it I'd say.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I created a pair of NPC aasimar/tiefling-hybrid twins for my Planescape game. I made one a tiefling sorcerer with the Celestial bloodline and the aasimar an oracle with the Flame mystery. I wish I had thought about the crossblooded sorcerer when I first made them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Tieflings, Aasimar, and Changelings can be from any humaniod race. A couple could have both Tiefling and Aasimar children.
Check out Blood of Fiends for different sized tieflings.


if someone wanted to play a Tiefling/Aasimar I'd discourage the idea by telling them LA +3. That would tell me if they wanted to play it for role playing (which it'd just choose one of the races and Eldritch Hertiage or write it in my backstory and have no mechanical value) or power gaming.


8 Red Wizards wrote:
if someone wanted to play a Tiefling/Aasimar I'd discourage the idea by telling them LA +3. That would tell me if they wanted to play it for role playing (which it'd just choose one of the races and Eldritch Hertiage or write it in my backstory and have no mechanical value) or power gaming.

There is no Level Adjustment in Pathfinder, thankfully. Also, nobody talked about the stats of such a thing, so you're kinda jumping to a conclusion there.


If you choose a monster out of the bestary to play than you use the CR as it's LA and than you add it's HD to get it's total level. The advance race guide also uses an LA based design for races. So they never really got rid of LA they just said use the monster CR instead of some independent number. Also power gamers pick a race first thing you look at are the stats so if you are a power gamer type than you will look at the best stats for your class. Once again LA never went away and if you say otherwise I can show you where to find it in the Bestary.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

You know, there are non-powergamers out there who like to play races outside the Core Rulebook.
So far, human is the most powerful race.

Someone might have powergamer PTSD, or you yourself are a recovering powergamer.


blackbloodtroll wrote:

You know, there are non-powergamers out there who like to play races outside the Core Rulebook.

So far, human is the most powerful race.

Someone might have powergamer PTSD, or you yourself are a recovering powergamer.

This, and nobody should use Level Adjustment anyway. It's a horrible system, and I'm sure a good DM could adjust a monstrous PC to be playable with far better methods. And really, I LOVE playing weirder races, but I care as much for fluff as I do for numbers, since I want a useful character with some depth as well.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Except Kobolds, totally overpowered man.

We remember Pun-Pun.


I love kobolds. They're one reason why I usually hate gnomes.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

There is no kobold/gnome extreme hate in Pathfinder.
Besides, gnomes would get bored with it, and die.


Gnome racial...

"Hatred: Gnomes receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the reptilian and goblinoid subtypes due to special training against these hated foes." Reptilian humanoid is probably kobold.


Icyshadow wrote:
This, and nobody should use Level Adjustment anyway. It's a horrible system, and I'm sure a good DM could adjust a monstrous PC to be playable with far better methods. And really, I LOVE playing weirder races, but I care as much for fluff as I do for numbers, since I want a useful character with some depth as well.

I understand wanting to play a weird race, but I wouldn't call LA a horrible system, because races such as Dragon, lycanthropes (Lycanthrope CR + animal CR), some demons, some devils, ogres, nymph, troll if you wanted to pull all these races down to a level 1 maybe 2 you'd have to pull all of the stuff that made these monster what they are away. LA is what balanced out the abilities compared to base race PC's. It would be impossible to make each of these races equal to a base race without ripping almost everything away from them.

Lets face it you play an Ogre or a Troll for the monstrous strength if the DM pulls the str bonus down to a +2 to make it playable with level 1's you might as well been a half orc or human, and even if you let the abilities gradually return over levels the power difference will show while the PC is getting class abilities and the monster race is getting class and racial abilities. So no LA means you aren't countering the abilities.

blackbloodtroll wrote:

You know, there are non-powergamers out there who like to play races outside the Core Rulebook.

So far, human is the most powerful race.
Someone might have powergamer PTSD, or you yourself are a recovering powergamer.

I do know there are non-powergamers, but I don't know which one he is, but the question feels like a powergaming question waiting to happen, and I think Humans and Elves are tied for the strongest race. Elves are way better spellcasters than humans, but humans get that bonus feat.


I've worked with lots of number crunchers, and by the end of the day, the conclusion is that LA is, and always will be, a terrible system. You can disagree if you'd like, but I wouldn't bother listening to someone who has done next to no research on the matter. Also, you seem to really not know what you are talking about. Dwarves are a solid race choice too, arguably better than elves as well.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

You understand we are talking about playing races with established rules for using them as PCs?
Not demons, devils, ogres, nymphs, or trolls.


There was a similar thread on this while ago....

The ideal answer IMO basically comes down to human, tiefling, or aasimar -- whatever you want to play -- and then tweak with alternate racial abilities, race traits (the one that gives you an SLA is a good one), and sorcerer bloodlines.

I'd even encourage going outside reflecting "good" or "evil" outsider blood too... if the tiefling was descended from chaotic evil fiends and the aasimar was descended chaotic good celestials, maybe the offspring results in largely being bound to chaotic energies (Protean bloodline if they are a sorcerer, etc.).


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Well, a human descendant Aasimar, and a human descendant Tiefling can breed, and produce a human, Aasimar, or Tiefling.


I'd say human, aasimar or tiefling too, with relatively high percentage of non-identical twins being one aasimar, one tiefling since the good and evil energies reject eachother. I can see sibling rivalry developing in a great storyline there.


Remco Sommeling wrote:
I'd say human, aasimar or tiefling too, with relatively high percentage of non-identical twins being one aasimar, one tiefling since the good and evil energies reject eachother. I can see sibling rivalry developing in a great storyline there.

Have to agree on the likely outcomes of cross-breeding.

Non-identical twins being one aasimar and one tiefling does sound like a good story hook, though hopefully it would avoid the cliched Good Twin vs. Evil Twin scenario. Well, unless you made the aasimar the evil and the tiefling the good twin, then tossed in the aasimar being a villain with good publicity (most people would assume he/she is the good twin, after all). Hmm...


This has given me the amusing image of a wizard with a bean garden and a spellbook full of punnett squares...


Chengar Qordath wrote:
Remco Sommeling wrote:
I'd say human, aasimar or tiefling too, with relatively high percentage of non-identical twins being one aasimar, one tiefling since the good and evil energies reject eachother. I can see sibling rivalry developing in a great storyline there.

Have to agree on the likely outcomes of cross-breeding.

Non-identical twins being one aasimar and one tiefling does sound like a good story hook, though hopefully it would avoid the cliched Good Twin vs. Evil Twin scenario. Well, unless you made the aasimar the evil and the tiefling the good twin, then tossed in the aasimar being a villain with good publicity (most people would assume he/she is the good twin, after all). Hmm...

hadn't decided on that, so many ways to go.. even the cliche arrangement would be cool provided it isn't stupid evil vs stupid good. I imagine Caramon and Raistlin twins, the sickly evil tiefling (raistlin) and the handsome, likable Aasimar (Caramon), it is a stereotype but evocative characters can make anything look good.

EDIT: In case not everyone knows them, read the Twins trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (dragonlance legends trilogy)


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Have you seen the movie "Wizards"?
Those twins is what I imagine.
By the way, BEST WIZARD DUEL EVER!


blackbloodtroll wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Wizards"?

Those twins is what I imagine.
By the way, BEST WIZARD DUEL EVER!

No, I haven't let me google it though.. I'll get back to you on that ;)


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Talking about this.
Warning: Spoilers.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / So a deranged pure aasimar / tieling fluff question..... All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.