Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Pirate familiars?


Skull & Shackles

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 8 , Marathon Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Just finished reading the Wormwood Mutiny, and I had a question. We get stats for four different pirate-y familiars (dodo, dwarf caiman, giant isopod and seal), but no benefits for using them as familiars. What skills do they effect?


You have it already? Mine hasn't even shipped yet.

Paizo Employee Senior Developer

7 people marked this as a favorite.

This information was something that should have been in this volume's Bestiary, or in the Player's Guide, but somehow slipped out of both books! So here's the information you're looking for:

Other Piratical Familiars
Trained animals are extremely popular among pirates, serving as pets, ship's mascots, and company on lengthy voyages. Pirate spellcasters prove no different than their shipmates in their interest in pets, and find having an exotic familiar wins them bragging rights and a degree of status. Creatures like blue-ringed octopuses, goats, hawks, rats, lizards, king crabs, monkeys, rats, scarlet spiders, snapping turtles, vipers, weasels all serve as existing examples of potential pirate familiars that appear in either the Bestiary or Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Magic. Additionally, the statistics for many existent familiars might be used to represent more exotic, piratical familiars. The following table presents a variety of such exotic familiars, statistics that can be used to represent them, and the benefits of having them as familiars (which, in some cases, vary from the familiar creatures whose statistics they share).

Pirate Familiars
Dodo - Master gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks
Dwarf caiman - Master gains a +3 bonus on Stealth checks
Giant isopod - Master gains a +1 natural armor bonus to AC
Parrot (as raven (cannot speak) - Master gains a +3 bonus on Linguistics checks
Seal - Master gains a +3 bonus on Swim checks


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules Subscriber

Ah, thanks! I was curious about this too.

Dark Archive

Rob McCreary wrote:

This information was something that should have been in this volume's Bestiary, or in the Player's Guide, but somehow slipped out of both books! So here's the information you're looking for:

Other Piratical Familiars
Trained animals are extremely popular among pirates, serving as pets, ship's mascots, and company on lengthy voyages. Pirate spellcasters prove no different than their shipmates in their interest in pets, and find having an exotic familiar wins them bragging rights and a degree of status. Creatures like blue-ringed octopuses, goats, hawks, rats, lizards, king crabs, monkeys, rats, scarlet spiders, snapping turtles, vipers, weasels all serve as existing examples of potential pirate familiars that appear in either the Bestiary or Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Magic. Additionally, the statistics for many existent familiars might be used to represent more exotic, piratical familiars. The following table presents a variety of such exotic familiars, statistics that can be used to represent them, and the benefits of having them as familiars (which, in some cases, vary from the familiar creatures whose statistics they share).

Pirate Familiars
Dodo - Master gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks
Dwarf caiman - Master gains a +3 bonus on Stealth checks
Giant isopod - Master gains a +1 natural armor bonus to AC
Parrot (as raven (cannot speak) - Master gains a +3 bonus on Linguistics checks
Seal - Master gains a +3 bonus on Swim checks

Wait, Parrots can't speak and Ravens can?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Mimicry would be a "trick" I suppose.

Star Voter 2013

Rob McCreary wrote:
Parrot (as raven (cannot speak) - Master gains a +3 bonus on Linguistics checks

Way to make it easier to say "Avast!" in Ancient Osiriani or Thassilonian or a poetic "Arrrgh" in flail snail. :)

-TimD

Liberty's Edge Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mathwei ap Niall wrote:


Wait, Parrots can't speak and Ravens can?

I find that a bit silly too, sure, parrots can't actually speak; but they do a better job than ravens do at it! And this is fantasy.

Paizo Employee Senior Developer

Talking ravens have a pedigree going back to Tolkien, and have been in the game for a long time. And as noted, parrots can't actually talk.

But if you want your parrots to speak one language like a raven, go for it! It's hardly game-breaking.

Lantern Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Aharr! That were whut I be lookin' far! Me liddle crocodiddle be hungerin' fer the rest o' the scallywag what waylaid me an' give me this 'ere 'andcrafted wooden appendage! Arrr!

The Exchange Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

I have it on good authority that not only can parrots talk, they can sing too.


I have to say, it is a bit odd that Parrots can't speak, yet give a bonus to Linguistics. It also sort of conflicts with the Sea Singer, whose parrot familiar was treated exactly like a raven. Oh well, house rule time I guess.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Rob McCreary wrote:
Talking ravens have a pedigree going back to Tolkien, and have been in the game for a long time. And as noted, parrots can't actually talk.

Doctor Dolittle's familiar Polynesia wants to have words with you. :D


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Shadowborn wrote:
I have it on good authority that not only can parrots talk, they can sing too.

I swore this link was going to be to something Disney related.


Gotta admit, much like "new" traits, a lot of the new familiars benefits don't make any sense to me, or are just rehashing of the stuff given by another familiar. Nothing against this book or it's author in particular, just a general observation.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion Subscriber
Fraust wrote:
Gotta admit, much like "new" traits, a lot of the new familiars benefits don't make any sense to me, or are just rehashing of the stuff given by another familiar. Nothing against this book or it's author in particular, just a general observation.

There are really only so many benefits a familiar can provide, though, without getting into something weird and complex.


Fraust wrote:
Gotta admit, much like "new" traits, a lot of the new familiars benefits don't make any sense to me, or are just rehashing of the stuff given by another familiar. Nothing against this book or it's author in particular, just a general observation.

Pirate Familiars

Dodo - Master gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks
Dwarf caiman - Master gains a +3 bonus on Stealth checks
Giant isopod - Master gains a +1 natural armor bonus to AC
Parrot (as raven (cannot speak) - Master gains a +3 bonus on Linguistics checks
Seal - Master gains a +3 bonus on Swim checks

Comparing the new familiars with the basic ones in the CRB, pg 82:

The Dodo adds +2 to initiative. That is nice especially if used with the elf racial trait Warrior of Old. Those two equate to a free feat. Not bad for a class with limited feat availability.

Dwarf Caiman does duplicate the Cat.

Giant Isopod is new. +1 nat AC bonus.

Parrot is slightly different from the raven in that it permits +3 Linguistic. I like the raven more with the talking ability. Easy enough to house rule. Our GM actually is permitting a parrot to speak one round per day. That moves up a round for every two levels.

Seal is new. +3 swim bonus. The problem here is not knowing enough about the entire campaign and how much the seal will be able to interact on land.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Will the Players Guide be updated to include this omission?


The question that I have with the Dodo familiar is which creature in the Bestiary do we use as the template? A raven can fly, a dodo was a flightless bird.

Paizo Employee Senior Developer

baldwin the merciful wrote:
The question that I have with the Dodo familiar is which creature in the Bestiary do we use as the template? A raven can fly, a dodo was a flightless bird.

The stats for the dodo are in Pathfinder #55.

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Dodo!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber

Can I have a pirate as a familiar?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Yeah, you just have to wait until dominate person.


Rob McCreary wrote:
baldwin the merciful wrote:
The question that I have with the Dodo familiar is which creature in the Bestiary do we use as the template? A raven can fly, a dodo was a flightless bird.
The stats for the dodo are in Pathfinder #55.

As a player, I do not have the stats for the dodo. The GM has not recieved his book yet. I'm glad its stats have been done.

Star Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Just had a pirate-y idea: How about an arcane bond with your amputated appendage parts? You know, your hooks, peglegs, eyepatches.

That would be pretty pirate-like, no?


Rob McCreary wrote:

Talking ravens have a pedigree going back to Tolkien, and have been in the game for a long time. And as noted, parrots can't actually talk.

But if you want your parrots to speak one language like a raven, go for it! It's hardly game-breaking.

A minor nitpick, it's even older than Tolkien. Talking ravens are part of old norse mithology. Huginn and Munnin, Odin's ravens, were spies and talked to him :)

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Skull & Shackles / Pirate familiars? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Skull & Shackles

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.