Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

PaizoCon 2015

Did you know...?


Off-Topic Discussions

3,001 to 3,049 of 3,049 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Some World War Trivia. The first two with the answer in spoilers.

Initially, troops were only issued cloth caps in the early days of WW1. Numerous head injuries were recorded. As a result, metal helmets were distributed to the troops. This, however, led to a massive jump in head injuries. Why would that be? Some theories that were suggested included the troops getting foolhardy and thinking the helmets made them invincible, or some severe flaw in their design.

Answer:
The helmets were working perfectly. Head injuries increased dramatically, yes. But the deaths caused by head wounds dramatically dropped with the helmets.

*****

Abraham Wald, a mathematician, noted a problem with WW2 Bomber redesign. The Allies were losing multiple, expensive bombers. Doing a study, the allies found the parts of the bombers that had suffered the heaviest damages on bombing runs, and armoured those areas. Wald immediately noticed the problem, however.

Answer:
They were looking at the bombers that made it back. Wald told them to armour the locations that had little damage, as clearly those areas could not suffer much damage without being shot down, while the heavily damaged areas were sufficiently durable if the plane could fly back with that part shot up.

*****

Back in WW1, synchronization gear was the gear designed to allow a fixed forward firing gun on the old model propeller aircraft to shoot forward without shooting up the propeller. The story that this was developed AFTER the first few airplanes shot up their propellers is probably apocryphal.

It was a Canadian medical officer, who was also a chemist, who suggested in reaction to the various poison gasses being used in WW1 to urinate in a cloth and breathe through that to avoid poisoning.

A popular rumour is that parrots were posted at the top of the Eiffel Tower during WW1, as their acute hearing allowed them to detect aircraft well before a human could. There does not appear to be any evidence of this, however.

The Soviet army during WW2 had far more soldiers than they had gear for. It was common to issue one soldier a gun, and another soldier spare bullets, and order the unarmed soldiers to pick up the gun of a fallen soldier and use that.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
David M Mallon wrote:
Sean Bean has been killed in a movie by cows, but never by wolves.

Well, of course. Wolves suck at getting enough financing to pay for stars of his pay-grade. Not to mention that they're really bad at giving direction.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Peter Fonda broke his back while attending boarding school at age 6, and accidentally shot himself in the stomach at age 10.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LazarX wrote:
Not so much tolerant, but less afraid. They are not man's best or even third best friends, and they are not tamable. They have not have had the divergent evolution in brain psychology that the latter has. There are recorded attacks by wolves on humans.

All true. They're not to be trifled with.

But wolves did, over time, become dogs, which means that wolves themselves must have some connection to man that allows for a certain positive co-existence. I'm not saying that someone should expect to walk up to an alpha male and ruffle his muzzle, but ... clearly they wouldn't have become dogs were there no commonality and even potential camaraderie.

An interesting article that's tangentially related to the subject:

Opinion: We Didn’t Domesticate Dogs. They Domesticated Us. Scientists argue that friendly wolves sought out humans.

Back on topic.

When the 9-1 Arizona Cardinals lost their starting quarterback, Carson Palmer, and then his backup, Drew Stanton, in swift succession this year, Kurt Warner, their former starter, seriously considered coming out of his five-year retirement to lend a hand ... and said he would have if asked.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Aberzombie wrote:
Not long after Alan Rickman started to play Severus Snape in the first Harry Potter movie (released in 2001), J.K. Rowling told Rickman some character secrets about Snape that would not be otherwise revealed until the last book. Most significantly, for over seven years, Rickman was one of the very few people other than Rowling to know that Snape had been in love with Lily Evans (later Potter) when they were students at Hogwarts, and both Snape's protection of and antagonism toward Harry came from that. Rowling said that she shared this information with Rickman because "he needed to understand, I think, and does completely understand and did completely understand where this bitterness towards this boy, who's living proof of [Lily's] preference for another man, came from." When the directors of the films would ask him why he was playing a scene a certain way, or delivering a line in a particular manner, Rickman would simply reply that he knew something they didn't.

This is super-awesome, and I'm willing to accept it at face value, but do you have any sort of link or source that I could also share with some of my non-Paizonian buddies?


That cats don't have Owners, they have Staff.


The ridges on the sides of coins are called reeding or milling.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
Not long after Alan Rickman started to play Severus Snape in the first Harry Potter movie (released in 2001), J.K. Rowling told Rickman some character secrets about Snape that would not be otherwise revealed until the last book. Most significantly, for over seven years, Rickman was one of the very few people other than Rowling to know that Snape had been in love with Lily Evans (later Potter) when they were students at Hogwarts, and both Snape's protection of and antagonism toward Harry came from that. Rowling said that she shared this information with Rickman because "he needed to understand, I think, and does completely understand and did completely understand where this bitterness towards this boy, who's living proof of [Lily's] preference for another man, came from." When the directors of the films would ask him why he was playing a scene a certain way, or delivering a line in a particular manner, Rickman would simply reply that he knew something they didn't.
This is super-awesome, and I'm willing to accept it at face value, but do you have any sort of link or source that I could also share with some of my non-Paizonian buddies?

Its from the trivia about Alan Rickman on IMDB.com. Supposedly, they don't let things like that get posted until after they're verified.


Shortly before her death, Majel Barrett-Roddenberry completed voice-over work as the voice of the Enterprise's main computer for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek remake.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kajehase wrote:
David M Mallon wrote:
Sean Bean has been killed in a movie by cows, but never by wolves.
Well, of course. Wolves suck at getting enough financing to pay for stars of his pay-grade. Not to mention that they're really bad at giving direction.

The many deaths of Sean Bean

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Randarak wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
Not long after Alan Rickman started to play Severus Snape in the first Harry Potter movie (released in 2001), J.K. Rowling told Rickman some character secrets about Snape that would not be otherwise revealed until the last book. Most significantly, for over seven years, Rickman was one of the very few people other than Rowling to know that Snape had been in love with Lily Evans (later Potter) when they were students at Hogwarts, and both Snape's protection of and antagonism toward Harry came from that. Rowling said that she shared this information with Rickman because "he needed to understand, I think, and does completely understand and did completely understand where this bitterness towards this boy, who's living proof of [Lily's] preference for another man, came from." When the directors of the films would ask him why he was playing a scene a certain way, or delivering a line in a particular manner, Rickman would simply reply that he knew something they didn't.
This is super-awesome, and I'm willing to accept it at face value, but do you have any sort of link or source that I could also share with some of my non-Paizonian buddies?
Its from the trivia about Alan Rickman on IMDB.com. Supposedly, they don't let things like that get posted until after they're verified.

Indeed! If we can't trust IMDB, then we might as well stick a fork in Western Civilization!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

When the Pogues recorded their cover of the Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem's version of "Whiskey, You're The Devil," singer Shane McGowan had only learned the song phonetically, and consequently got some of the lyrics wrong. The fact that he was known for going into the studio (and on stage) falling-down drunk probably didn't help things. For example:

Clancy Bros. version:

Whiskey, you're the Devil, you're leadin' me astray
Over hills and mountains, into Americae
You're sweeter, stronger, decent-er, you're spunkier than tae
Oh, Whiskey, you're me darlin' drunk or sober

Pogues version:

Whiskey, you're the Devil, you're leadin' me astray
Over hills and mountains, into Americae
Your sweetness from the bleach in her, you're spunkier than tae
Oh, Whiskey, you're me darlin' drunk or sober

I'd get lyrics wrong too if I drank my whiskey with a side of bleach.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

With the way he looks, I'd not rule out the possibility MacGowan used to do just that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kajehase wrote:
With the way he looks, I'd not rule out the possibility MacGowan used to do just that.

That would certainly explain how he lost all his teeth. He's gotten that fixed in recent years, though.


The next A Song of Ice and Fire calendar (for next year) will feature art by Magali Villeneuve.


David M Mallon wrote:
Kajehase wrote:
With the way he looks, I'd not rule out the possibility MacGowan used to do just that.
That would certainly explain how he lost all his teeth. He's gotten that fixed in recent years, though.

Crikey! It's like one of those uncanny valley things.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Limpet teeth are found to have the highest tensile strength among biomaterials, outperforming spider silk.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

... huh.

EDIT: SCIENCE!

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

According to a Simpson Family tree designed by Matt Groening, Mr. Burns is a distant relative of Homer.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Before today, 34-year-old American cross-country skier Caitlin Gregg only had one top-30 finish at world level. Today she finished 3rd in the World Championship's 10-km race.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Within a couple of weeks, the American probe Dawn will be the first spaceship to have gone into orbit around two different worlds, the dwarf planets Vesta and Ceres.

Sczarni

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Randarak wrote:
Limpet teeth are found to have the highest tensile strength among biomaterials, outperforming spider silk.

Huh. {adjusts Don Knotts' CR higher}


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Randarak wrote:
Limpet teeth are found to have the highest tensile strength among biomaterials, outperforming spider silk.
Huh. {adjusts Don Knotts' CR higher}

I know! For a seaslug, he does a great impression of a fish! No wonder the krauts never had a chance!


Giant gerbils were responsible for the black plague

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Alexis Denisof was considered for the role of James Bond in Casino Royale.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

On this day in 1836, American inventor and industrialist Samuel Colt received a patent for a "revolving gun", later known as a revolver.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

For the dinner scene in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, none of the cast wanted to actually eat the food served to them (which partially consisted of blue-colored squid). Nicholas Meyer then made an offer that anyone who took a bite of the food, he would pay them $20 for every shot of them eating. William Shatner, was the only one who actually took bites, and he did it for 17 shots, meaning Meyer had to pay Shatner $340 to do so. Shatner later goes on to say he did it to get revenge on Meyer who broke a promise to him concerning the "Let them die" scene earlier in the film.


Aberzombie wrote:
Alexis Denisof was considered for the role of James Bond in Casino Royale.

As were Karl Urban, Henry Cavill, Sam Worthington, and Goran Višnjić.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The five largest kosher certification agencies in the United States certify 80 percent of the kosher food sold in that country.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

On this date in 1919, President Woodrow Wilson signed an act of the U.S. Congress establishing the Grand Canyon National Park.

"That's one big freaking hole in the ground."

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Adam Baldwin is the only actor to work with both Joss Whedon and Stanley Kubrick.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The Baldwin family...

sinks to knees

I'm so conflicteeeeeeeeeeeeed!

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Adam Baldwin (thankfully) has no relation to the Baldwin brothers Alec Baldwin, Daniel Baldwin, William Baldwin and Stephen Baldwin, who are from Long Island, New York (Adam is from the Chicago area).


thanks for helping me to resolve my conflict.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Not a problem. It's a similar situation to Susan Sarandon - was she in anyway related to Chris Sarandon? Yes indeed. They were married once.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Neutronium is a proposed name for a substance composed purely of neutrons. The word was coined by scientist Andreas von Antropoff in 1926 (before the discovery of the neutron) for the conjectured "element of atomic number zero" that he placed at the head of the periodic table. However, the meaning of the term has changed over time, and from the last half of the 20th century onward it has been also used legitimately to refer to extremely dense substances resembling the neutron-degenerate matter theorized to exist in the cores of neutron stars. Science fiction and popular literature frequently use the term "neutronium" to refer to a highly dense phase of matter composed primarily of neutrons.


The David Bowie song Kooks was written for his son, movie director Duncan Jones, shortly after he was born.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Leonard Nimoy died this morning. Life is not as much fun as it was before I found this out.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Robert Ridgely, who played the hangman in Blazing Saddles and Robin Hood: Men in Tights (both directed by Mel Brooks), was also the voice of Thundarr the Barbarian.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Randarak wrote:
Leonard Nimoy died this morning. Life is not as much fun as it was before I found this out.

:(


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Live for those who can't.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Unfortunate news. But he lived a full life, and provided joy to many people.

******

Alyson Court, the actress who provided the voice for Claire Redfield in most of her depictions throughout the Resident Evil series, is a Canadian children's show actress, with her most famous role being Loonette the Clown, the host of The Big Comfy Couch.

At the end of Portal, a metal hoop falls to the ground in front of you. The developers assumed this hoop would become a meme and expected the internet to make a big deal of "Hoopy the Hoop." This never really happened, with the Weighted Companion Cube and "The Cake is a Lie" catching on instead.

Portal 2 has Cave Johnson suffering from an affliction caused by moon rock dust. Real moon rock dust is actually very harmful if inhaled. Because of the lack of erosion on the moon, moon rock dust is razor sharp, and too small to expel through the normal methods used by your lungs. Inhaling it is similar to inhaling asbestos. (And would cause similar coughing problems like Cave had near the end of his life.)

Mega Man 6 almost didn't make it to US shores. The game was released near the end of the NES's life. Capcom figured it would be unprofitable to port the game, but Nintendo themselves paid to have the game localized and released over here.

During the age of the Atari's dominance of the console market, many companies got into game production, having new divisions established purely for making games, even companies that had no relation to the electronics industry at the time. Quaker Oats, for instance, had a games division for a while.

The Colecovision, one of the more powerful game console systems before the NES, got its name by its parent company, Coleco. Coleco is short for the COnnecticut LEather COmpany.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Despite the wounds Charles Durning received in WWII (he was shot in the legs and hip by machine-gun fire), he went on to become a professional dancer and dance teacher. He taught at the Fred Astaire studios and relied upon it when he couldn't find acting work.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Tim Daly is perhaps best-known for his role of "Joe Hackett" on the TV series, Wings (1990). He beat out Kevin Conroy for the part. He later worked with Conroy on the animated Superman (1996) series.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

E. L. James' Fifty Shades of Grey began its literary (and I use that term looser than a Bangkok hooker) existence as Twilight fan fiction.

Michael Hart's The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History lists Muhammad at number one, in great measure because the credit for Christianity, in his view, must be divided between Jesus Christ (#3) and St. Paul (#6).

J. R .R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion was begun in the trenches during World War I.


Aberzombie wrote:
Alexis Denisof was considered for the role of James Bond in Casino Royale.

He'd have been a better choice than Danny Craig.


Jaelithe wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
Alexis Denisof was considered for the role of James Bond in Casino Royale.
He'd have been a better choice than Danny Craig.

nonsense. Craig is wonderful as bond, it's the storyline that needs help.


Freehold DM wrote:
Jaelithe wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
Alexis Denisof was considered for the role of James Bond in Casino Royale.
He'd have been a better choice than Danny Craig.
nonsense. Craig is wonderful as bond, it's the storyline that needs help.

Honestly, I couldn't have cared who played Bond in that one. All I cared about was Eva Green.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Mmmm.....Eva Green. One of the main reasons I watch Penny Dreadful.

3,001 to 3,049 of 3,049 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Off-Topic Discussions / Did you know...? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.