Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Legend of Korra


Television

101 to 150 of 223 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

I always forget that the episodes are 20 minutes long. I always get really stoked about 15 minutes in only to remember this isnt Game of Thrones and the action's over for a week. :P

That said, great episode! I love Korra as a protagonist, from the way she carries herself, to her obvious weak spots, to the fact that she's probably the only character in this series that could get away with calling anyone "bub".


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Great episode, I wish they showed this one last week so we could find out what happened.


Twas a great episode. Loved it.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Dear gods, what did I just see!!!!!! O_O

Andoran

Freehold DM wrote:
Twas a great episode. Loved it.

I agree. This weekend's episode was great.


Very, very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed that ass-whooping, while it lasted :)


Also:

Spoiler:
Did you see the look on tarlok's face when Korra said he was no better than Amon?
He may not be Amon, but this is definately a peronal conflict between the two...


Kryzbyn wrote:

Also:

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Compare anyone to someone on the other extreme. FDR to Hitler, Kataang faction to Zutarians for example. It won't go over well.

Scintillae wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:

Also:

** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

Not my ships!


Cabbage Guy wrote:
Scintillae wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:

Also:

** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **
Not my ships!

Give me a ship, I'll bring a U-boat.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

During the flash back did it look like Aang was blood bending?


brent norton wrote:
During the flash back did it look like Aang was blood bending?

I don't think that was a flash back. I think it was Korra remembering times when Tarloc used his powers subtly. At least that's how it looked to me. I don't think that was Aang.

Shadow Lodge Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

Naw, it was definitely a flashback. It showed Aang, Sokka, and Toph all on the receiving end of some bloodbending.

There was also a guy who looked a lot like Tarrlok (though I'm guessing based on the timeline it was probably his father or uncle or somesuch) who looked to be on trial.

Shadow Lodge

Theory has it that's the Yakone guy that Tarrlok mentioned back several episodes, when he was advocating for a head-on attack on Amon because "Avatar Aang faced Yakone directly head-on when he was making trouble in Republic City". He's visibly older than Tarrlok, and there's no denying that was Aang and Sokka and Toph - the only other arrow-head guy with a beard we have is Tenzin, and this guy just had the chin-strap beard rather than the full beard-and-mustache.

Anything in sepia tones is flashback. =) That's been a standard film and television trope for years.

Spoiler:
And yeah, general theory consensus is guessing him to be Tarrlok's dad, exiled after being thrashed by Aang and possibly having his bending removed, and if he's still alive then might be waiting for Korra wherever Tarrlok's taking her.

I've seen a picture that directly compares Yakone?'s facial features to Tarrlok's - the hairline, jawline, and eyes are extremely similar and the nose is an exact match. I'll post it as soon as I get home, I can't get to it from work. Or poke Scint to post it for me. =)


Well at least Korra will have time to meditate in the back of that truck...


I've been poked.

Spoiler:
Yakone
Tarrlok

This franchise has always been pretty good about unique features and family resemblance, so this is telling.

Shadow Lodge

Much obliged =)


Interesting...


Good eyes, Scintillae...


I can't take the credit; someone else linked it to me.
Source, but speculation-heavy


Oh snap! That was Sokka! I keep forgetting they were all pre-teen/teenagers in the first show...


That would fit the (somewhat) established pattern that the true threat to the balance seems to come from the same tradition that spawns the Avatar. Avatar Kyoshi battled against an earthbender, and the fire nation's war was Avatar Roku's fight, but he was defeated and the problem got passed on to Aang. Amon might merely be a distraction.

Or......maybe he is really Yokone and the firebender who took his face was Zuko.


Did Zuko ever find his mother?


Kryzbyn wrote:
Did Zuko ever find his mother?

Although they have alluded to it, I do not believe any answer has been given.


bugleyman wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:
Did Zuko ever find his mother?
Although they have alluded to it, I do not believe any answer has been given.

The story of his mother's true fate is supposedly set to be revealed in the comics.


jemstone wrote:
bugleyman wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:
Did Zuko ever find his mother?
Although they have alluded to it, I do not believe any answer has been given.
The story of his mother's true fate is supposedly set to be revealed in the comics.

Unless Ikki shows up.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Grey Lensman wrote:
the fire nation's war was Avatar Roku's fight, but he was defeated

Actually the War was not started until after Roku's death. Roku's failure was in his handling of Sozin. But the war itself commenced 12 years after Roku died.


Saw episde 9 "Out of the Past".

:
Amon is not even human is he? Bet now: is he a cyborg, an undead or a spirit?
Also, bloodbending, metalbending, shouldn't the avatar be taught that stuff? If she could metalbend cages and cuffs off of herself, she wouldn't have so many problems.


HOLY CRAP that was a good episode.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Tales Subscriber
VM mercenario wrote:

Saw episde 9 "Out of the Past".

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Theory goes Amon is Aang's second non-bending son.

LazarX wrote:
Grey Lensman wrote:
the fire nation's war was Avatar Roku's fight, but he was defeated
Actually the War was not started until after Roku's death. Roku's failure was in his handling of Sozin. But the war itself commenced 12 years after Roku died.

The original confrontation was after Roku saw the colonies in the earth kingdom, the place I imagine Korra is set in. Even if there was a gap between the taking of those colonies and the further war with the Earth Kingdom, I think the war started then.


VM mercenario wrote:
Also, bloodbending, metalbending, shouldn't the avatar be taught that stuff? If she could metalbend cages and cuffs off of herself, she wouldn't have so many problems.

Bloodbending is forbidden, so there aren't any teachers for that.

Metalbending doesn't work on platinum, which is seems the single most abundant metal in the Avatar universe. Cages, cuffs, walls, and armies of mecha are all made of the stuff.


Grey Lensman wrote:
VM mercenario wrote:
Also, bloodbending, metalbending, shouldn't the avatar be taught that stuff? If she could metalbend cages and cuffs off of herself, she wouldn't have so many problems.

Bloodbending is forbidden, so there aren't any teachers for that.

Metalbending doesn't work on platinum, which is seems the single most abundant metal in the Avatar universe. Cages, cuffs, walls, and armies of mecha are all made of the stuff.

It is probably pretty easy to mine anything you want if half the population can use their minds to burrow through the ground, keep caves from collapsing, and sense the location of rare earths and precious metals. The bigger question to me is wondering why don't they have oil?


How do they do that without benders? The equalists would have to realize once the earthbenders are gone...no more easy platinum.


cranewings wrote:


It is probably pretty easy to mine anything you want if half the population can use their minds to burrow through the ground, keep caves from collapsing, and sense the location of rare earths and precious metals. The bigger question to me is wondering why don't they have oil?

Heh. Fair point.

Jesus, like, two hours before I streamed this I was saying that I wish the show had hour-long episodes to wean me off of Game of Thrones.

One hour season finale. I feel like a wizard.


cranewings wrote:
It is probably pretty easy to mine anything you want if half the population can use their minds to burrow through the ground, keep caves from collapsing, and sense the location of rare earths and precious metals. The bigger question to me is wondering why don't they have oil?

It isn't a question of getting it, it's finding it. Platinum only occurs at a ratio of about 0.005 parts per million.

Shadow Lodge

Also they do have oil, or at least something similar to it, since the Satomobiles are using combustion engines rather than steam.

Spoiler:
Anyway awesome episode, not surprised to see Amon just shrug it off, though I am very interested in learning how he did it.

I'm equally torn between "nice to see Amon put this upstart secondary villain in his place" and "if this season could have been longer there could have been much more interesting, longer drawn-out conflict between Amon and Tarrlok's respective extremes". My disdain of politics is the main reason I'm rather okay with the way it turned out, though.

Also is anyone else here somewhat irked that Bolin did nothing but crack jokes all episode? He didn't seem very worried at all, in a situation where he really should have been as panicked as Mako was, but the few times he showed up on screen he was just being his normal doofy self.


Not really, I'm of the opinion that normally Bolin is an optimist, and more likely to just assume things will turn out well. And when under pressure, he'll crack more jokes as a coping mechanism, unless he takes a really heavy emotional hit.


Grey Lensman wrote:
Not really, I'm of the opinion that normally Bolin is an optimist, and more likely to just assume things will turn out well. And when under pressure, he'll crack more jokes as a coping mechanism, unless he takes a really heavy emotional hit.

The Spiderman response. Joking helps ward off the panic, a brain busy with jokes is too busy to crash.

And noone mentions that cage being platinum. They just didn't teach metalbending to the avatar. I'm trying to remember if wesaw her using lightiing... I think we did but now i'm not sure.
But all that platinum does annoy me. If Sato is THAT rich, why not just buy half the Earth Kingdom and make his own non bending country? It would be cheaper.


That doesn't get rid of benders.


VM mercenario wrote:
If Sato is THAT rich, why not just buy half the Earth Kingdom and make his own non bending country? It would be cheaper.

I'm guessing rare metal isn't that rare - not worth as much.

I do find it kind of jarring that there are metal and lightning benders everywhere. In the original show I had the impression you had to be uniquely talented to perform those techniques. Like, I've done martial arts my whole adult life but I am not talented enough to time kung fu moves on good boxers, even though I've seen it done. I'm just not good enough. I thought lightning and metal were things like that.

I guess they weren't special, they were just secret.


I think it makes sense. They used to be super rare and unique, but once responsible benders mastered them, they wanted them passed on. Compare to unique technology in our world. One guy had a gun, someone else learned to make it so the power wasn't in one hand.

*shrug*

I'm really more bothered by the platinum, platinum everywhere, but that could just be the social studies teacher in me. Though I doubt Tarrlok's box was made of the stuff.


Scintillae wrote:
I'm really more bothered by the platinum, platinum everywhere, but that could just be the social studies teacher in me. Though I doubt Tarrlok's box was made of the stuff.

I guess I don't understand why ubiquitous platinum is so far-fetched. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Cheliax

form a scientific point of view its all to do with how elements are created, heavy elements, like gold or platimum are created by super nova explotion and only in very small quantities, the exact portion of each element made depends on the wieght and will decrease the heavier the element. platinum is thus going to be rare, very rare.


ulgulanoth wrote:
form a scientific point of view its all to do with how elements are created, heavy elements, like gold or platimum are created by super nova explotion and only in very small quantities, the exact portion of each element made depends on the wieght and will decrease the heavier the element. platinum is thus going to be rare, very rare.

I figured it was something like that...thank you.

Edit: My chemistry teacher would be so ashamed...


bugleyman wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
form a scientific point of view its all to do with how elements are created, heavy elements, like gold or platimum are created by super nova explotion and only in very small quantities, the exact portion of each element made depends on the wieght and will decrease the heavier the element. platinum is thus going to be rare, very rare.

I figured it was something like that...thank you.

Edit: My chemistry teacher would be so ashamed...

Your astronomy teacher certainly would. ;)

I'm willing to accept, however, that in a world (or is that "universe"?) where mystical powers abound, and the spirit plane can be accessed regularly and repeatedly (at least by the Avatar), that certain physical constants from our universe might not be the same.

Platinum could be more common on Bender-World because it is a spiritually "pure" metal - so it may coalesce in areas of spiritual significance.

Or it could just be enough that it makes a good story.


Platinum is only about 60 million per ton in todays money. The Bender World Henry Ford built a dozen or so power suits out of Platinum. If they say it was a sizable portion of his wealth, I think it is believable.

Of course it would be cheaper in bender world because Earth benders can find and mine any material instantly. They can probably refine a sack of stones into its base elements by punching it if they train really hard.


cranewings wrote:
Platinum is only about 60 million per ton in todays money. The Bender World Henry Ford built a dozen or so power suits out of Platinum. If they say it was a sizable portion of his wealth, I think it is believable.

Crunching the numbers I got about 45 million, with a standard ton (U.S. measurements) running from 25 million to 75 million using the 5 year high and low price points. It's actually less than gold right now (probably due to the market panic) which was something I had to look up to believe.

Still, a quick in world statement would have been enough to justify seeing vast quantities of what was in such a time period possibly the most precious metal on the planet.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
cranewings wrote:
Grey Lensman wrote:
VM mercenario wrote:
Also, bloodbending, metalbending, shouldn't the avatar be taught that stuff? If she could metalbend cages and cuffs off of herself, she wouldn't have so many problems.

Bloodbending is forbidden, so there aren't any teachers for that.

Metalbending doesn't work on platinum, which is seems the single most abundant metal in the Avatar universe. Cages, cuffs, walls, and armies of mecha are all made of the stuff.

It is probably pretty easy to mine anything you want if half the population can use their minds to burrow through the ground, keep caves from collapsing, and sense the location of rare earths and precious metals. The bigger question to me is wondering why don't they have oil?

World of Avatar never went through a Global Jungle/Dinosaur phase, which is the only reason WE have it.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
cranewings wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Grey Lensman wrote:
the fire nation's war was Avatar Roku's fight, but he was defeated
Actually the War was not started until after Roku's death. Roku's failure was in his handling of Sozin. But the war itself commenced 12 years after Roku died.
The original confrontation was after Roku saw the colonies in the earth kingdom, the place I imagine Korra is set in. Even if there was a gap between the taking of those colonies and the further war with the Earth Kingdom, I think the war started then.

While the Fire Kingdom made aggressive moves on Earth Kingdom territory, I believe the War proper was said to have started with the arrival of Sozin's Comet and a blitzreig set of strikes on the Air Nomad Temples. (which is kind of a contradiction in terms when you think about it :)

So Sozin's Comet marked both the start and the end of the Four Nation War.

101 to 150 of 223 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gamer Life / Television / Legend of Korra All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.