Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

What comic book character(s) do you wish would stay dead?


Comics

1 to 50 of 64 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter 2013

Inspired by the other thread.

Not becasue "I hate character X" but because they had a 'good death' their storyline was told, etc etc.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, Eric Masterson. As much as I love the character* His story was done and he died in a heroic way.

I'll add Jean to the list. I remember reading somewhere that when Jim Shooter said Jean has to die (and not just be lobotomized) and Claremont went the "Madalyne Pryor" route, his idea was that Maddie was exactly what she seemed to be, a human redhead that looked a lot like Jean. (Asgard Wars supported this) The idea was that Scott would marry her and retire leaving the X-men behind except for occasional guest appearances. That way the team could seem to grow and age, even with the sliding timescale.

Instead we got the incredible returning Jean, and Scott Summers is a jerk. (Really, why Nate/Cable even likes his dad is beyond me) We also got the destruction of a strong female character, who could have easily become the "Marvel Oracle" during the X-Outback story arc.

It's not that I hate Jean per se. but the choice of her returns did a lot of damage to other characters.

*

Spoiler:
and not just because he was left handed, and thus the only leftie in the MU, IIRC


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Let's hope Uncle Ben stays dead.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Any and all Zombies....just die already!

Scarab Sages

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

The New 52.

Sovereign Court

Uncle Ben
The Waynes

I would have preferred that Bucky, Jason Todd, Norman Osborn, Colossus, the Scourge of the Underworld victims and a few others stayed dead but that's Marvel these days. Death is but a revolving door for the next fanboy writer to mess up.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Wolverine.


Characters who have to remain dead:
Ben Parker
Thomas and Martha Wayne
Johnathan Kent

If these characters get revived then Spider-Man, Batman, and to a lesser extent Superman lose their reason to be.

Characters who I'd like to see remain dead:
Thanos - technically, not dead, just imprisoned in a universe in which he can't die.
Deadpool - Conceptually an interesting character, but oversold, plus he wants to die.
Zatarra Zatarra
Krona
The New Gods including Darkseid - Death of the New Gods ended the 4th World in a semi-satisfying manner and the new Darkseid just isn't Darkseid.

And just for S & G's, characters I wish they would kill off:
Wolverine
Cyclops
all of the other X-men
Marvel's mutant characters in general
Punisher
The current Superboy
The Grifter
Deathstroke the Terminator
any character considered "edgy" purely because he or she is a borderline sociopath with only the barest of moral compasses (Batman and Moon Knight get a buy, do to the fact that one has a strong code of behavior and the other, just isn't well in the head)


The Joker.

...yes, I went there!!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter 2013

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Icyshadow wrote:

The Joker.

...yes, I went there!!

Actually, I'd love to see a lot of the 'classic villians' die and stay dead (at least for 15-20 years)

Especially with Marvel's 'Multiverse' it would work.

Spoiler:
I was happy when Sabertooth died for example because a) it could have opened up new villians and b) We still had alternate Sabertooths (including the AoA version) to see new aspects of the character.

Imagine introducing a 'new Sabertooth' that was a kid of Creed's who didn't have his daddy's powerset, but wanted to take his place. What a better way to establish his 'cred' than to go after the Wolverine family?

For that matter, we didn't need Sabertooth back, we had Dakken. Same motivations, different method.

Same thing for the Joker, Sinestro, Professor Zoom, Deathstroke, etc. etc. etc. Force the writers to make a 'new Joker' for Batman (to the writer's credit, if I'm understanding, this Council of Owls can be that role)

Same thing for the heroes. While Marvel couldn't do it with the mutants now, Bucky-Cap was a new and different Cap. Note, new and different does not automatically equal edgy. Cassie (Stature) took up the hero role because of the death of her father.* Tim became Robin because 'Batman needs his Robin'. Dick took up the cowl (and made it his own) because "Gotham needs Batman" John Irons took up his armor because "The world needs a superman" etc etc. (And Dick-as-Batman is about as far from darker and edgier as you could get).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Jason Todd died in 1988. I therefore proclaim any comic book showing him alive to be non-canon.

Star Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Vazhko Doorsmasher wrote:
Jason Todd died in 1988. I therefore proclaim any comic book showing him alive to be non-canon.

I'd stand by this.

There's few characters I'd wish dead but generally I wish the resurrections would stop. If you're going to kill a character, kill them -- otherwise it just cheapens the story because you know the death isn't really real. Every time I hear "so and so's gonna die" I'm like, "yeah, for about 6 months, then they'll be back." If a character dies and what you feel about it is jaded, something is VERY wrong with your storytelling.

Okay, I admit I was happy when Ice was brought back to life in Birds of Prey a few years ago. But that's also because her death was stupid. There will be exceptions but hopefully that'd only prove the rule.

Generally, people who die should stay dead.

Same goes for someone being incurably injured and then suddenly back on their feet.....

Silver Crusade Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber

Sandman SPOILERS:

Spoiler:
Morpheus

Normally I wouldn't even bother, but given DC's wacky antics of late....


But, but... He didn't die, did he? :-)


DeathQuaker wrote:
Vazhko Doorsmasher wrote:
Jason Todd died in 1988. I therefore proclaim any comic book showing him alive to be non-canon.

I'd stand by this.

There's few characters I'd wish dead but generally I wish the resurrections would stop. If you're going to kill a character, kill them -- otherwise it just cheapens the story because you know the death isn't really real. Every time I hear "so and so's gonna die" I'm like, "yeah, for about 6 months, then they'll be back." If a character dies and what you feel about it is jaded, something is VERY wrong with your storytelling.

Okay, I admit I was happy when Ice was brought back to life in Birds of Prey a few years ago. But that's also because her death was stupid. There will be exceptions but hopefully that'd only prove the rule.

Generally, people who die should stay dead.

Same goes for someone being incurably injured and then suddenly back on their feet.....

OTOH, if that had applied throughout the history of the genre, there would be an awful lot of great villains and classic stories most of us never would have seen.

I mean, I feel the same way a lot of the time, but would the genre really be better off if, for example, the Joker has stayed dead back in the '30s or Doctor Doom in the '60s.

Heroes less so, since they're killed less frequently and with more impact, so bringing them back is both rarer and feels more of a betrayal.

Star Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
thejeff wrote:
DeathQuaker wrote:
Vazhko Doorsmasher wrote:
Jason Todd died in 1988. I therefore proclaim any comic book showing him alive to be non-canon.

I'd stand by this.

There's few characters I'd wish dead but generally I wish the resurrections would stop. If you're going to kill a character, kill them -- otherwise it just cheapens the story because you know the death isn't really real. Every time I hear "so and so's gonna die" I'm like, "yeah, for about 6 months, then they'll be back." If a character dies and what you feel about it is jaded, something is VERY wrong with your storytelling.

Okay, I admit I was happy when Ice was brought back to life in Birds of Prey a few years ago. But that's also because her death was stupid. There will be exceptions but hopefully that'd only prove the rule.

Generally, people who die should stay dead.

Same goes for someone being incurably injured and then suddenly back on their feet.....

OTOH, if that had applied throughout the history of the genre, there would be an awful lot of great villains and classic stories most of us never would have seen.

I mean, I feel the same way a lot of the time, but would the genre really be better off if, for example, the Joker has stayed dead back in the '30s or Doctor Doom in the '60s.

Heroes less so, since they're killed less frequently and with more impact, so bringing them back is both rarer and feels more of a betrayal.

Like I said, there should be some exceptions that prove the rule. That way, when there is an unexpected comeback, it is an amazing, special thing, not what everyone knew was going to happen all along.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Barry Allen should have stayed dead. We already had a Flash. Same for Jason Todd and Hal Jordan (Yes... I went there...).

Star Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dies Irae wrote:
Barry Allen should have stayed dead. We already had a Flash. Same for Jason Todd and Hal Jordan (Yes... I went there...).

Agreed on all 3 counts. Generally speaking, I count the time I started to lose interest in DC Comics (and I'd been a rabid fan since the age of 7 or so) when they pulled shenanigans to get these guys back.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter 2013

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dies Irae wrote:
Barry Allen should have stayed dead. We already had a Flash. Same for Jason Todd and Hal Jordan (Yes... I went there...).

I don't care enough about Green Lanterns to care about Hal (Though DCAU John Stewart is awesome. Shame we won't seem to see him again). Barry was better dead, and Jason Todd's death always served as Batman being mortal, and capable of failure.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Morris wrote:
Dies Irae wrote:
Barry Allen should have stayed dead. We already had a Flash. Same for Jason Todd and Hal Jordan (Yes... I went there...).
I don't care enough about Green Lanterns to care about Hal (Though DCAU John Stewart is awesome. Shame we won't seem to see him again). Barry was better dead, and Jason Todd's death always served as Batman being mortal, and capable of failure.

Honestly, I enjoyed the Green Lantern Corps v2 (and v3) books which had Guy Gardner, John Stewart and Kyle Rayner and the rest of the alien GLs knocking about playing Space Cop, but I dropped the Green Lantern main book, which despite Geoff Johns trying his hardest, still had the problem of writing stories around Hal Jordan rather than writing for him.

I only recently picked up the new Green Lantern relaunch because Hal has pretty much been reduced to a sidekick cameo role by Sinestro.

Frankly this recent wave of EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN in the last 5 years of comics hasn't particularly inspired confidence in me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Superman
Batman
the Flash
Jean Grey
the Phoenix
Wolverine
Professor X
pretty much any character that was killed off should stay dead.

Liberty's Edge

I wish Vriska would stay dead.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I wish Ultimate Spider-Man had lived, and 616 Spider-Man had permanently died instead.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Kthulhu wrote:
I wish Ultimate Spider-Man had lived, and 616 Spider-Man had permanently died instead.

I thought it was DC that numbered their Earths.

Shadow Lodge Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

Kthulhu wrote:
I wish Ultimate Spider-Man had lived, and 616 Spider-Man had permanently died instead.

Agreed, but I have to admit I've found the first 10 issues with the new kid to be pretty compelling. I hope they keep Pete dead and give Miles a fair shake.

The Exchange

Jean Grey, dear god, Jean Grey needs to just STAY DEAD.

When it gets to the point where you say 'Oh is she alive/dead again?' when you pick up a comic 3 times a year, it is too much.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The next time he's killed.... Deadpool. What a waste of ink.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Let me see... Jean Grey was put into stasis by the Phoenix force to heal the damage from radiation guiding the space shuttle down to earth unshielded. Eventually she returns from this coma and is later killed by Magneto giving her a stroke. They put "she will rise again" on her tombstone. What is the problem?


Every comic book death ever ever. If it was hinted at before hand that something was in the works to bring them back then sure but almost every hero now in print has died at some point. It's time for new heroes, stop bringing back the dead.

EDIT Started scrolling through the other posts after I replied and saw that someone had a similar opinion.

Xabulba wrote:

Superman

Batman
the Flash
Jean Grey
the Phoenix
Wolverine
Professor X
pretty much any character that was killed off should stay dead.

+1

Shadow Lodge

Kthulhu wrote:
I wish Ultimate Spider-Man had lived, and 616 Spider-Man had permanently died instead.

Bumped for irony.

What are everyone's thoughts on Superior Spider-Man ?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I have to admit I'm half and half on character deaths and revival.

On one hand I WOULD like for certain characters to stay dead.

On the other hand a good revival story is a good story PERIOD. and in a lot of ways that's why I read comics for the story.

Case in point, as a teenager I HATED that they bought back Jean Grey / Phoenix as that was the defining character death of my youth next to Captain Marvel.

I hate that they bought back both Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. Kyle Rainer and Wally West werent some bloody place holders, they were MY Green Lantern and MY Flash. Hell, Wally was Flash for 20 years REAL TIME. to this day it sticks in my craw that they bought them back and shunted Wally and Kyle out of the spotlight.

Other other hand, I was one of the people who hated the idea of bringing back Bucky from the dead.

Until I started reading the actual Winter Soldier story arc and was like HOLY CRAP this is actually good. It was so good that when Steve "died" I was hoping that he WASNT coming back because I was loving Bucky As Cap. It was something different. It was Captain America the symbol but as a man he wasn't exactly squeaky clean like Steve was. This Cap has blood on his hands in a big way and old enemies who knew this and would be gunning for him.

I mean we're all grown ups here. So when people say things like I wish people would stay dead, especially if they are major franchise characters they're not going to stay dead.

if you really think that Marvel is going to kill Wolverine, Capt. America or Deadpool? That's just wishful and totally unrealistic thinking. And yes, people, more importantly KIDS know who Deadpool is. My 11 year old who has never read a Marvel Comic in his life knows Deadpool from the Ultimate Alliance video Game and loooooves him.

So I guess that I can see both sides. But I will say that if there's a good story to be told with either death or a character's revival I'm usually (except in a few instances) fine with it.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Leo_Negri wrote:

Characters who have to remain dead:

Ben Parker
Thomas and Martha Wayne
Johnathan Kent

If these characters get revived then Spider-Man, Batman, and to a lesser extent Superman lose their reason to be.

With Spiderman 700, I'd like to add Peter Parker to that list. Guy really needs a break.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kthulhu wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
I wish Ultimate Spider-Man had lived, and 616 Spider-Man had permanently died instead.

Bumped for irony.

What are everyone's thoughts on Superior Spider-Man ?

I'm waiting to see where this story goes and not jumping to conclusions.

I follow Dan Slott on twitter so I got to see first hand the death threats and the all around obnoxious behavior of some so called comic-book fans. I also got to see the support from his peers and the fans who love his work on Spider-Man and are willing to trust him and see where this goes.

I just want to point out that whill I have a few trades from his Spider-Man run, I havent gotten around to reading them yet but have heard nothing but good things about his run.

On the other hand I have read almost every issue of Bendis Spider-Man for the last 8 -10 years or so. In my mind at least THAT one is the Spider-Man title to beat. Peter Parker's death in that title was one of the most emotional things that I've read in comics in a while.

The new kid Miles? I was a little skeptical at first, not because he was blackarican (I'm Black, without the Puerto Rican) hell I'm glad that my son when and if he starts reading comics is going to be able to see someone who looks like him as a hero. No I was skeptical because I REALLY liked and KNEW Peter Parker as a character and was going to miss him. But Miles story has proven to be interesting as well and one that I'm willing to follow.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
ShinHakkaider wrote:
So I guess that I can see both sides. But I will say that if there's a good story to be told with either death or a character's revival I'm usually (except in a few instances) fine with it.

I feel the same way. I knee-jerk resist resurrections that don't seem to serve any purpose (Colossus, Barry, Hal, none of whom were really needed, IMO, and some of whom farted around barely being used for a while after their resurrections).

But some resurrections (Winter Soldier) lead to some really good stories, and I end up appreciating them.

Other resurrections, undoing 'cheap' or 'meaningless' deaths, feel more like a writer attempting to salvage a death that didn't really add to the storyline / continuity anyway, like if a bunch of mutants that got put on a bus and blown up mysteriously start showing up again in background scenes. I don't mind that sort of 'resurrection,' because the deaths themselves were lame and irrelevant.

Similarly, when Alpha Flight showed back up, after being blown away to establish the 'street cred' of a villain that nobody will ever hear of again, I didn't mind. (Quick and cheap way to 'establish' a nobody, have him kill off a bunch of third-tier forgotten heroes. And 9 out of 10 times, that 'shocking new villain!' is abandoned within six months, making his gratuitous splashy entrance an utter waste of time.)

I have a similar prejudice against 'she-dude' characters, who are just female versions of established male characters, rather than original characters in their own right, like She-Hulk or She-Wolverine (X-23) or She-Thing or She-Captain-Marvel or She-Human-Torch or She-Superman, She-Batman, etc. But sometimes, they turn out to be pretty darn awesome characters in their own right (I find She-Hulk and X-23 to be much more compelling characters than He-Hulk and He-Wolverine!), and I find myself overcoming my initial bias against them.

I'm also a total hypocrite. If there was ever a reverse 'distaff' legacy, like a He-Wonder Woman or a He-Black Canary or a He-Black Widow, I'd probably find it hilarious. :)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Set,
Especially if he was drawn in the same poses as his female couterpart. ;-)

But I think Barry, Hal, Mar-Vell, Kraven the Hunter, Thunderstrike, Blue Beetle, the ones whose death was powerful and well written should stay dead. The throwaway or this is to show how badass/ruthless/insane the villain is deaths I can do without. I'm much more comfrotable about villain resurrections, especially the masterplanners like Doom who has contingencies on his contingencies.


What's with all the Deadpool hate? =(

Also, I second the love for John Stewart as Green Lantern. Would be nice if the other human Lanterns went away for a while so they could characterize him a bit more in the comics. He was hands down my favorite non-Batman character in the Justice League cartoon, and I'm not even really a GL fan at all. I'd probably start reading them more regularly if he was in there as more than "The Token African American Lantern".

Scarab Sages

Rynjin wrote:
Also, I second the love for John Stewart as Green Lantern.

Kyle and John are my favorite two (human) GLs. Guy and Hal my least favorites. I remember when Hal Jordan 'the original Green Lantern' was coming back, some dude on the internet had a poster of a grumpy looking wrinkly Alan Scott scowling and saying 'Original Green Lantern? Hal Jordan can kiss my ass!'

Another token-ish oddity. If you're a Justice Leaguer and have 'MAN' in your superhero name, like Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Hawkman or even Martian Manhunter, you'll have a female legacy character with a name like Supergirl or Batwoman or Aquagirl or Hawkwoman or Miss Martian.

If you *don't* have 'man' in your superhero name, like Flash, Green Lantern, Atom or Green Arrow, there will never be a female character with that unisex name. (Barring the only females allowed to be Green Lanterns, hawt alien wimmen.) Apparently it would terribly confuse the reading audience if one of the four Flashes was a woman, they'd have to call her 'Flashgirl' or 'She-Flash' or something.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Jesse Quick was the Flash for an issue and a half back around 100 of the Wally West series. Sort of.

Also Lady Savitar (see, even the villains do it) was called Lady Flash for a bit before she went completely off the deep end.

Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Jean Grey.

However, I also was touched with the Ultimate Spider-Man's death and at first was REFUSING to give the new kid his due; until I saw a teenager reading Ultimate Spider-Man with Miles and I was intrigued (reading over someone's shoulder on the bus, it's at least one good thing about working the night shift and riding buses). Intrigued not for the art or the story but because I was seeing a teenager identifying with a character that I identified with when I was 8 (for me it was Peter Parker back in the 70s, for this guy it's Miles now).

The Exchange

I wouldn't mind if they all stayed dead. If they want to bring one in from an alternate reality - fine - but No back from the dead unless the body was never found and you get the story where he spends his days with no memory of who he is as he wanders the the back streets as a hobo.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter 2013

Re: SPiderman.

I'm assuming that the arc will be such that <redacted> will either succeed and become a better person, or he'll fail and realize he can't be Peter.

RE: Distaff
Does Hank taking up the 'Wasp' moniker count? Or Shaman taking up Talisman when his daughter abandoned it? (and I had to wrack my brain to think of those) Edit: Just thought of another. Wiccan taking Wanda's place effectively, or Cassie Lang becoming Stature, but those might be a stretch.

Re: 'Good deaths'. I agree a good death is a good place to rest in peace. Jean's death on the moon, Eric's death against Seth, Barry's CoIE death, all those are good examples.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber

I love all the Green Lanterns but my favorite is Hal Jordan. The current Green Lantern run since Rebirth has been utterly fantastic.

Sorry to inject some positivity. Feel free to continue the grumbling :p

Scarab Sages

Matthew Morris wrote:

RE: Distaff

Does Hank taking up the 'Wasp' moniker count?

It might have, if Iron Man, Thor and Hercules hadn't all, at different times, *mocked him for it.* (As if 'Wasp' was somehow an effeminate name.)

Quote:
Or Shaman taking up Talisman when his daughter abandoned it? (and I had to wrack my brain to think of those)

Ooh, that's a good one, although I think he abandoned that, too, and went back to Shaman.

Quote:
Edit: Just thought of another. Wiccan taking Wanda's place effectively, or Cassie Lang becoming Stature, but those might be a stretch.

Wiccan being a male 'legacy' of an established female character is indeed the sort of thing I was thinking about!

Cassie serving as a legacy of her dad is more traditional. Her dad being a legacy of Hank Pym, less so.

Then again, Hank Pym's legacies include Janet (who got her powers from his experiments, 'cause if a black man or a white woman gets their powers from science it will be a white man who does the science!), the second Goliath (Clint), Black Goliath (Bill), Yellowjacket 2 (Rita), Ant-Man 2 (Scott), Ant-Man 3 (Eric O'Grady), Power Man / Atlas (Eric Josten), Ultron (mmm, don't put that one on the resume...), Jocasta (2nd tier legacy) and Stature (Cassie, also 2nd tier legacy).

Pym's the Batman Incorporated of the Marvel Universe, pumping out super-hero legacies (and the occasional mad killer robot, give the guy a break!) left and right!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Superman, for these reasons NSFW

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter 2013

@Set.

One thing I liked about Ultimate Wasp and Hank was that (IIRC) Janet's powers were natural, and Hank 'reverse engineered' them.

One of the reasons I like a (well written) War Machine book is that James existed as a character *before* he got Tony's hand-me-downs. I want to read about "James-Rhodes-in-a-suit-of-armor" not "Iron Man 2.0" I liked the first War Machine book because it kept putting twists in. (The Warwear, James' parents having an issue with his GF being white, the possibility that he sired a kid out of wedlock) Those character moments made it more enjoyable for me.

It does seem the 'girl makes own powers' ends up on the bad guy spectrum a lot. (Superia, Diamondback, Princess Python, DCAU Cheetah) Do we have any 'made my own superhero powers' female heroes?

*sigh* and I miss Rita.


Not as many as I thaught. I liked the Red Hood stuff, so I was ok with Jason Todd coming back. And it was kind of easy for me to accept them bringing back characters I liked. With Superman, there's a lot of good comics that alude to back when Superman died, so I feel like they handled that one well. Other ones, where I feel like they just brought the character back to bring back the status quo, then barely mention it again (Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, ect.) shouldn't have been killed off in the first place.

Never cared at all about Hal Jordan, but apparently Green Lantern fans are a picky bunch (according to my friend who is one). I like Guy Gardner, and John Stewart, AND Kyle Rayner better... Even in Blackest Night I felt like Hal was one of the least interesting characters, and that whole event was centered around the Lantern Corps. And this is hardly a new occurance for me. I jokingly call the first Green Lantern animated movie "Sinestro the Movie: with special guest star, Hal Jordan". I didn't care that much about him getting brought back though, since I don't hate him, he's just not my favorite. (Larfleeze is the best lantern :D)

I don't read a whole lot of Marvel, but I did read the original Dark Phoenix saga, and that would have had a lot more weight to it if Jean had stayed dead. Instead, she is probably the most resurected, drama-killing, god-like character ever.

Also, I thought Superboy had a very sad, dramatic death in Infinite Crisis. Although I like him, it probably would have seemed like that mattered more if he stayed dead.

Might just take some flak for this if anybody actually scrolls down this far to read this thread, but I thought Batman should have stayed dead. They were so close to starting the new 52 anyway, they might as well have just rode it out. I liked the idea of Dick Grayson taking up the mantle, and I thought the way he came back to life was stupid. But this is mitigated by the fact that you knew he was going to come back right when Final Crisis ended, so it's not like they were acting like he might stay dead to drum up drama. But if he'd stayed dead, it would have had the impact of Superboy's death times 1000, and would have made for better story telling.


Kigali Lubanga. Twice in two years shortly before I stopped buying The Phantom was twice too many.


And Roy Race. The real footballers of this world behave enough like comic book characters we don't need him anymore.


Kyle Rayner.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Darth Maul

Scarab Sages

Matthew Morris wrote:

@Set.

One thing I liked about Ultimate Wasp and Hank was that (IIRC) Janet's powers were natural, and Hank 'reverse engineered' them.

Since the movies are borrowing heavily from the Ultimates interpretations of the characters, maybe Janet will be a bio-electricity generating mutant in the upcoming Ant-Man film, and Hank will just be called in to help her manage her mutant gift.

It could all be tied together pretty neatly. Her fashionista thing could come from trying to 'bring back' long gloves and similar 'elegant' fashions, to allow her to mingle in high-society without accidentally electrocuting her peers. Hank might use Pym particles in some way to allow her to shunt her excess bio-electricity away, or his freaky insect research to grow storage organs inside of her body that will serve as bio-batteries for her energy, allowing her to keep it under control.

Quote:
*sigh* and I miss Rita.

There was a series of 'Dead X' minis recently, detailing the adventures of some dead superheroes, in a world where some Chaos King / deathgod had caused all living heroes to fall over 'dead,' and only their actually dead teammates (suddenly revived) were able to protect them from being made really permanantly dead.

Most of them sucked pretty hard, but the Dead Avengers mini was amazing, with a team consisting of Captain Mar-Vell, the Vision, Yellowjacket (Rita), the Swordsman, Doctor Druid and Deathcry. I really, really dug those characters, many of whom had never met each other, for their brief run.

Rita got in a good showing, and I was happy for her, since it kind of gave her (and the others, particularly Dr. Druid, Deathcry and the Swordsman) a little bit more closure than they got with their actual deaths, IMO.

1 to 50 of 64 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Gamer Life / Comics / What comic book character(s) do you wish would stay dead? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.